• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

vlad on the tyne
7 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Edited by vlad on the tyne
Delete wrong thread

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

A chance to win a trophy at a club that's made two finals in a row or back to Aberdeen.   I would think he will choose us. 

Aberdeen are a more attractive proposition than Hearts atm let's be honest. The only major plusses we have over them is geography and training ground. 

They'll probably be offering more money and have consistently been best of the rest for a while now. 

Just now, Clerry Jambo said:

I'd give the Pandas another chance to be honest.

More mobile than Lee and far better than Frear and Roberts.

Leveins Battalion
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Aberdeen are a more attractive proposition than Hearts atm let's be honest. The only major plusses we have over them is geography and training ground. 

They'll probably be offering more money and have consistently been best of the rest for a while now. 

Nah i'm not having that!!

So Tynecastle is not better than Pittodrie?Also the sheep have a new state of the art training ground.

W

I think we will do very little business in this window, In regards to bringing players in, I might be wrong but as dissapointing as that result at dens park was, And by god it was dissapointing! We ARE still the best team in the league, I know thats not saying much tbf but still we should have enough to get up, Barring covid striking an early end to it all again.

This window is about preparing for next season in the top flight, We need to start getting rid of some of the utter guff that is in our squad, For me we should be looking to bin over the next two windows the following players.

Zlamal (not good enough)

Brandon (not good enough)

Berra (too old)

Popescu (although jury is still out)

Damour (please god)

Lee (too slow)

Walker (some people might disagree, but I've had enough of him going missing in big games)

Cochrane (not going to make it, mcgill is ahead of him now)

Frear (poor signing)

Roberts (another poor signing)

White ( never going to be good enough)

Wighton (Whether you like him or not he is championship standard imo)

That makes 12 players to bin imo, if we can shift that and bring in say 7 or 8 real quality players i would be happy.

Edited by gregzy2k7
Mistake

9 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I think we will do very little business in this window, In regards to bringing players in, I might be wrong but as dissapointing as that result at dens park was, And by god it was dissapointing! We ARE still the best team in the league, I know thats not saying much tbf but still we should have enough to get up, Barring covid striking an early end to it all again.

This window is about preparing for next season in the top flight, We need to start getting rid of some of the utter guff that is in our squad, For me we should be looking to bin over the next two windows the following players.

Zlamal (not good enough)

Berra (too old)

Damour (please god)

Lee (too slow)

Walker (some people might disagree, but I've had enough of him going missing in big games)

Frear (poor signing)

That makes 12 players to bin imo, if we can shift that and bring in say 7 or 8 real quality players i would be happy.

I could go through that list and make arguments to keep some of them but what’s the point. We need a complete rebuild and the sooner the better. Some ballsy players and some pace would make us a million times better. This squad has proven itself to be inconsistent, slow and at times cowardly. 

Need more options up top. Wouldn't mind someone like Ryan Hardie, I think we were linked in the past.

Deals up this year at Blackpool. He's been loaned out and scored 9 at plymouth.

Knows the league and still only 23. Was quite good for livi.

Would be summer rather than Jan tho.

Edited by Alan_R

Just be nice to sign players that aren’t ****ing useless the majority of the time. If they could run about a bit and look interested that would be appreciated. 

fabienleclerq
41 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Nah i'm not having that!!

So Tynecastle is not better than Pittodrie?Also the sheep have a new state of the art training ground.

W

I doubt the stadium bothers the players when they are deciding who to sign for, even if it did as a winger it might not work for us giving how tight it is. 

Frustrating because (although I don't particularly rate any of the following)

Juanma

Goncalves

Bjorn Johnsen

And even Uche or Douda

Would all be useful right now

Dolly Menga is without a club. Just notice that. Only left livi in August.

Grim times when I've suggested two ex-livi players but he's probably about as good as anything we are likely to pickup til end of season

Edit- just looked up stats, poor. Must've only looked like a player against us? 🤣

Edited by Alan_R

Just now, GinRummy said:

Menga is terrible and wouldn’t improve us. His scoring record speaks for itself. 

You just beat me as I was editing!

Always had a decent game v us though. Typical

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Sorry Allan. I hate that when you try to edit something and somebody has already quoted you. 

Edited by GinRummy

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

:laugh2:

18 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Frustrating because (although I don't particularly rate any of the following)

Juanma

Goncalves

Bjorn Johnsen

And even Uche or Douda

Would all be useful right now

Thing for me is that Uche would've bullied his way through this League. I remember an Aberdeen player saying that you don't know what you're getting with Uche and that was true. He was a menace to teams with solid defenders so you'd have to say that with a lot of the Championship clubs keeping it tight at the back, Uche would certainly have given them something to think about. 

We do need freshened up in the striking department so hopefully Neilson will get someone in who can help the likes of Wighton and Boyce out.

41 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Zlamal (not good enough)

Berra (too old)

Damour (please god)

Lee (too slow)

Frear (poor signing)

While I don't disagree too much with what you suggest. I would still keep Brandon, Cochrane and Wighton. The rest I agree with. The trouble is that I'm not convinced that we'll actually get any takers on the rest and so might end up having to free them,  which will cost us some money. If we could get sell some of them that would be good business.

Even if we can't sell any of them it is imperative that we start recruiting players for next season. There are several players in the SPL that are available on pre-contracts that could do a job never mind those in countries around Europe. We've got to recruit them on the basis that we'll be back in the top flight next season. 

I do think that we probably need to try to get in a striker ASAP, which may mean a loan signing but what is clear is that Wighton is not a lone striker and at this level I see him as a player to bring off the bench like we did against Ayr to good effect.

Smile of the day.....so far!

A terrible scoring record though. 

10 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

"Boyle and nisbet and portoeus will be sold this transfer window afraid we need the money"

Just spotted this over on Hobos.net - I feel like someone is on the wind up however it would be brilliant if its true.

Nisbet is the only one there that is half decent. Boyle has well gone off the boil the last 12 months and offers little now he has been sussed out and Porteous is honking every time I've watched him. A bigger huddy you are unlikely to see. Just watch Livi's 3rd goal on Saturday for evidence. 

11 hours ago, Cruyff said:

The other options are Popescu, Berra or Halkett. It's like a choice between Aids, the Plague or Leprosy. I'd chuck the boy in a back 3, Halkett can step up and talk him through the game. 

😂

Now is the perfect time to give Popescu a chance. If he comes in and does well for 2-3 games then he's an automatic starter for maybe the next 3-4. If he's guff then we have time to look at the transfer market. 

Personally I love the idea of signing Stephen O'Donnell and moving Smith to a centre back or sweeper role though. He has been unreal there previously and it could be a defensive model for us to use all season and into next if he's staying. Not only does it add another line of defence covering for mistakes and such from our two centre backs, but it gives us more options out wide as it somewhat takes some (obviously not all) defensive responsibility away from the full backs.  It's just the absolute ideal scenario for me. 

Actually the ideal scenario would be to sign Jimmy Dunne, but I reckon that ship has sailed and he's now out of our league considering he's making the bench for Burnley. 

We have been crying out for pace and width for years now and still haven't found it. Surely a decent wide man is available and a decent ball playing midfielder. We seem to have much the same all over our midfield. Definitely need a back up striker as well, Wighton will never be good enough for Hearts. He's scored a few goals now but it doesn't make up for the fact he offers little to the team and will never improve us to where we want to be. 

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

😂

Now is the perfect time to give Popescu a chance. If he comes in and does well for 2-3 games then he's an automatic starter for maybe the next 3-4. If he's guff then we have time to look at the transfer market. 

Personally I love the idea of signing Stephen O'Donnell and moving Smith to a centre back or sweeper role though. He has been unreal there previously and it could be a defensive model for us to use all season and into next if he's staying. Not only does it add another line of defence covering for mistakes and such from our two centre backs, but it gives us more options out wide as it somewhat takes some (obviously not all) defensive responsibility away from the full backs.  It's just the absolute ideal scenario for me. 

Actually the ideal scenario would be to sign Jimmy Dunne, but I reckon that ship has sailed and he's now out of our league considering he's making the bench for Burnley. 

I think Smith's our best centre half. I would play him there and Brandon at right back over Berra at centre half. Neilson has a problem here with Berra I think, does he drop him? Still think he will have an influence in the dressing room.

3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

😂

I like the idea of playing Popescu the next 4 or 5 games.

Hes had a little more time to settle in and now knows hes got to up his game or hes not got a future at the club.Theres no way Berra can play the next game after that horror show on Saturday .

For those reasons I'd go with Popescu.

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

Just be nice to sign players that aren’t ****ing useless the majority of the time. If they could run about a bit and look interested that would be appreciated. 

And also not injury prone.

6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I think Smith's our best centre half. I would play him there and Brandon at right back over Berra at centre half. Neilson has a problem here with Berra I think, does he drop him? Still think he will have an influence in the dressing room.

A horror show on Saturday night.  He needs to be dropped. I actually like the idea of playing Smith at Centre Back. He’s always played pretty well in that position in the past. Brandon had a pretty good game on Saturday. 
I have an idea that we might actually see another centre back in during this window.

44 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Thing for me is that Uche would've bullied his way through this League. I remember an Aberdeen player saying that you don't know what you're getting with Uche and that was true. He was a menace to teams with solid defenders so you'd have to say that with a lot of the Championship clubs keeping it tight at the back, Uche would certainly have given them something to think about. 

We do need freshened up in the striking department so hopefully Neilson will get someone in who can help the likes of Wighton and Boyce out.

I agree with this up to a point.  On Saturday he would have provided the alternative we didn't have up front.

Edited by JamboAl

16 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

We have been crying out for pace and width for years now and still haven't found it. Surely a decent wide man is available and a decent ball playing midfielder. We seem to have much the same all over our midfield. Definitely need a back up striker as well, Wighton will never be good enough for Hearts. He's scored a few goals now but it doesn't make up for the fact he offers little to the team and will never improve us to where we want to be. 

What’s the priority then. I doubt we will see more than a couple of signings this window. Winger and striker for me. 

Barney bulge

push the boat out and get Declan Gallagher on a pre contract would be top of my list. 
Offer him Berra Walker and damours salary combined.as they will be leaving. 
he will have other options no doubt but you never know. 

10 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

"Boyle and nisbet and portoeus will be sold this transfer window afraid we need the money"

Just spotted this over on Hobos.net - I feel like someone is on the wind up however it would be brilliant if its true.

On one hand it would be hilarious to see them lose three key players, but on the other I don't particularly want them pocketing any sort of money from selling them and that money potentially digging them out of a hole. I want them digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole, not digging themselves out! If they get anything close to market value for all three they would surely pocket something close to £2M in total (that being £750k or so for Boyle and £500k or so each for Nisbet and Porteous)?? 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

What’s the priority then. I doubt we will see more than a couple of signings this window. Winger and striker for me. 

I think midfield is our best department at the moment. Plenty options and at least two ball players(passers) I wouldn’t sign anyone there until the summer.

We need a striker urgently, like we did at the start of the season, We need a winger above the standard of Frear and Roberts and we probably need a centre back because Berra has deteriorated now to the extent he’s a liability.

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Need more options up top. Wouldn't mind someone like Ryan Hardie, I think we were linked in the past.

Deals up this year at Blackpool. He's been loaned out and scored 9 at plymouth.

Knows the league and still only 23. Was quite good for livi.

Would be summer rather than Jan tho.

Be very happy with Ryan Hardie tbh.  Bit of pace, knows where the goals are, works hard, right age for a number of reasons.  Always felt Rangers were harsh with him.

Seem to remember something like he was going to be given a chance, but he had a stinker in preseason or something..?? Was that him?

4 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

push the boat out and get Declan Gallagher on a pre contract would be top of my list. 

Where is Damour going ? He’s got over 2 years left on his deal and he seems very happy to sit there getting it for nothing and being ‘injured’  

What do you think the impact on morale would be if we brought in a player and paid him 3 times what everyone else is on ?

Hectormasson
53 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Only trouble was ,refs didn't ever give him the benefit of doubt,   always giving other team free kicks nearly every challenge  he would attempt ! Totally against him...

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Where is Damour going ? He’s got over 2 years left on his deal and he seems very happy to sit there getting it for nothing and being ‘injured’  

What do you think the impact on morale would be if we brought in a player and paid him 3 times what everyone else is on ?

Walker has a year left after the summer as well.

He's another in a long list that won't play at a higher level than us and won't earn more money elsewhere

So highly unlikely to leave at any point to free up money

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

Only trouble was ,refs didn't ever give him the benefit of doubt,   always giving other team free kicks nearly every challenge  he would attempt ! Totally against him...

If ever a player needed coaching in the clever darker arts of being a big strong striker it was him. He fouled people constantly when there was no need.

Barney bulge

No idea why they haven’t played smith at centre half.

surely they could till end of season (solve the Berra / popescu issue) 

he was mom there against Celtic at tynecastle one time. so in the championship would be no problem to him.

get a couple of centre halves on pre contracts. As said before ideally Gallagher of Motherwell if it’s not an impossibility. 

if joe savage is worth his salt he can maybe pay him the 5k a week we’d need out his own pocket to show us how keen he is to do a good job getting the right players in 

27 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I like the idea of playing Popescu the next 4 or 5 games.

Hes had a little more time to settle in and now knows hes got to up his game or hes not got a future at the club.Theres no way Berra can play the next game after that horror show on Saturday .

For those reasons I'd go with Popescu.

Aye, and if he can't get a game now then we've got to wonder what he's actually doing here... Berra will have an influence on the pitch but there's only so much advice and instructions you can take from someone who is making a bit of a calamity of himself. 

16 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

Very much doubt our wage structure would allow for this sort of thing. That'd be about £10k p/w lol and we haven't paid players that kind of money since some mad Russian people were sitting in the main stand lighting cigars with £50 notes. I'd offer him about £5-6k p/w. I don't think we could/should pay much more than that to be honest. Gallagher's stock will have risen because of his performances for Scotland so while I would love to sign him I think he might get some good offers down south. A cheaper and maybe just as effective alternative for me would be Stuart Findlay from Kilmarnock (maybe we could use the Jig connection...). 

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think midfield is our best department at the moment. Plenty options and at least two ball players(passers) I wouldn’t sign anyone there until the summer.

We need a striker urgently, like we did at the start of the season, We need a winger above the standard of Frear and Roberts and we probably need a centre back because Berra has deteriorated now to the extent he’s a liability.

I'd agree partially, but I don't think Neilson has got the mix right at yet.  Perhaps once more with RObbie, a bit too much thinking about the opposition and not about our strengths.  Maybe.  Not bashing him here.

He wants to play DMs in his team, that much is clear.  Do we need them, really??  There was a thing about our midfield not getting close enough to the striker a few weeks back.  That was the case on Saturday again.  Perhaps it was old habits more that by design.  Almost definitely infact.  But if you play Halliday and Haring in midfield, that is likely.  We still don't have that box to box guy.  Haring is actually capable of it and maybe that needs worked on.

For me, Irving needs to start every game.  Plonk him right in the middle and tell him he's Jim Bett.  Let others move around him.  Do we have the dynamism for that to work???

I stil haven't quite seen what Halliday brings to our team, if truth be told.  He doesn't do a lot wrong, but again, is he going to control a game or drive us forward?  Not seen it much.  He was good second half against Celtic, but that maybe suits him.  Is he of as much use when we're the favourites, like we are every week in this league and should be in 90% of our games in the prem?  Not sure.

Lee and Walker are similar in a way.  Both got great ability, both can win a game with one piece of magic.  But neither influence the game enough minute to minute.  So can you play both?  Yes if you score early and win 4-0, no if you don't and the chips are down.

For me, we still don't have that reliable link from midfield to forward.  They're two separate departments in our team.  We need someone who is either great at finding pockets or someone who is full of energy.  Naismith is nearly both.  He's better up top though.  I'd love to see Connor Smith brought back and given a chance.

Our midfield is our strongest dept personnel wise, but lots of questions.

18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We badly need some pace into the midfield and up front. All our play is so pedantic and predictable through midfield which is why we lump the ball long and we don't have a target man to do that.

Other than Ginnelly who seems another injury prone type we have little or nothing to offer from the wide areas.  Roberts and Frear are a waste of space and Moore is obviously not rated by Robbie.

The young lad Robert at Airdrie might be worth going for as Hibs were supposedly interested but they now seem to be close to signing Cadden so they may well be out of the running for him.

7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I'd agree partially, but I don't think Neilson has got the mix right at yet.  Perhaps once more with RObbie, a bit too much thinking about the opposition and not about our strengths.  Maybe.  Not bashing him here.

He wants to play DMs in his team, that much is clear.  Do we need them, really??  There was a thing about our midfield not getting close enough to the striker a few weeks back.  That was the case on Saturday again.  Perhaps it was old habits more that by design.  Almost definitely infact.  But if you play Halliday and Haring in midfield, that is likely.  We still don't have that box to box guy.  Haring is actually capable of it and maybe that needs worked on.

For me, Irving needs to start every game.  Plonk him right in the middle and tell him he's Jim Bett.  Let others move around him.  Do we have the dynamism for that to work???

I stil haven't quite seen what Halliday brings to our team, if truth be told.  He doesn't do a lot wrong, but again, is he going to control a game or drive us forward?  Not seen it much.  He was good second half against Celtic, but that maybe suits him.  Is he of as much use when we're the favourites, like we are every week in this league and should be in 90% of our games in the prem?  Not sure.

Lee and Walker are similar in a way.  Both got great ability, both can win a game with one piece of magic.  But neither influence the game enough minute to minute.  So can you play both?  Yes if you score early and win 4-0, no if you don't and the chips are down.

For me, we still don't have that reliable link from midfield to forward.  They're two separate departments in our team.  We need someone who is either great at finding pockets or someone who is full of energy.  Naismith is nearly both.  He's better up top though.  I'd love to see Connor Smith brought back and given a chance.

Our midfield is our strongest dept personnel wise, but lots of questions.

Lee, Walker and Haring can barely muster a trot betweenthem so that leaves Halliday to do all the donkey work.

I am believing that out of the current first team squad the following are the only ones worth keeping.

Gordon

Smith 

Kingsley

Brandon

Halliday

Irving

Naismith

Boyce

Question marks over

Ginnelly

Haring

The rest are a waste of space and should be nowhere near our club. Anyone that does not give 100% all the time is no good to Hearts.

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We badly need some pace into the midfield and up front. All our play is so pedantic and predictable through midfield which is why we lump the ball long and we don't have a target man to do that.

Other than Ginnelly who seems another injury prone type we have little or nothing to offer from the wide areas.  Roberts and Frear are a waste of space and Moore is obviously not rated by Robbie.

The young lad Robert at Airdrie might be worth going for as Hibs were supposedly interested but they now seem to be close to signing Cadden so they may well be out of the running for him.

You don’t need pace in midfield in this country. Christ look at Charlie Adam the other night. He works because he has class, a brain and an ability to find space to take the ball and release it effectively. Andy Irving could turn into this type of player with a bit more composure and confidence. 

You need pace just about everywhere else though. Up front, wide and in central defence. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Pandas not done enough for a. Contract extension. 

Harsh. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

You don’t need pace in midfield in this country. Christ look at Charlie Adam the other night. He works because he has class, a brain and an ability to find space to take the ball and release it effectively. Andy Irving could turn into this type of player with a bit more composure and confidence. 

You need pace just about everywhere else though. Up front, wide and in central defence. 

Agreed. 

The ball can move faster than anyone can run. 

Movement of the ball, intelligence and pass. 

Give me that in a midfielder all day long.

I don't know anything about Robert at Airdrie but he seems to be someone that's causing a lot of interest. I wonder if we make Airdrie an offer to test them out, even a player plus cash deal to tempt them with. We've plenty of them to offer. 

I don't see Jamie Brandon at Hearts long term so now is the time to get competition for Smith and offer O'Donnell at Motherwell a deal. Can't remember if he's short term at them or it was a one year contract which could open up the option of a pre-contract for the summer. 

Whatever way we go we have lots of players who need emptied or maybe just needing a fresh challenge at some other club. This could open up a deal or two in swaps or player plus cash options. As we don't spend money anymore this could be the way to go short-term.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Dolly Menga is without a club. Just notice that. Only left livi in August.

Grim times when I've suggested two ex-livi players but he's probably about as good as anything we are likely to pickup til end of season

Edit- just looked up stats, poor. Must've only looked like a player against us? 🤣

Menga was horrible, as you say only turned into a Messi/ ronaldo/ chuck norris hybrid v us. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )