January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

2 hours ago, R1874 said:

Yeh definitely could have been a good move for him. Like his workrate and positioning but isn’t going to get enough goal contributions to make it as a winger. 

Think he played wingback couple times in his first season - including against Rangers? 

David Smith became a RB did he not. Was never in a million years going to make it here as a winger - goal at ER aside - but was played there his whole time here. Wish coaches would see these things earlier on and try something different 

he played left wing back at ibrox once. One of levein tactics that never tried it before so let’s do it against rangers then

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

he played left wing back at ibrox once. One of levein tactics that never tried it before so let’s do it against rangers then

He also tried to play Mulraney as a wing back against Celtic and that was a howling success.

13 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The fact that Roberts and Frear are consistently in the squad ahead of Moore should tell you all you need to know about Moore.

It should

Said it before, we should be looking at Jason Kerr from St Johnstone.

He is from Edinburgh, but not sure if he is either a Hearts fan, Hibs fan or neither.

Still only 23 and he is going to go on to be a cracking player.

53 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

When is the earliest in this transfer window that a club can register a new signing?  

4th 

4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

4th 

Thanks ... was hoping for an announcement today given we have a game at the weekend.

Edited by Disco Ball

4 minutes ago, Pagey said:

Cheers for that ... not the one I was waiting on though. I was waiting to find out who the players are who have agreed terms to join us in the January window.  I was told there would be an announcement when the players were registered and not before.

Edited by Disco Ball

9 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Cheers for that ... not the one I was waiting on though. I was waiting to find out who the players are who have agreed terms to join us in the January window.  I was told there would be an announcement when the players were registered and not before.

Tuesday

15 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Said it before, we should be looking at Jason Kerr from St Johnstone.

He is from Edinburgh, but not sure if he is either a Hearts fan, Hibs fan or neither.

Still only 23 and he is going to go on to be a cracking player.

I think Jason would be a decent signing, he is improving all the time and developing into a good defender. Jason is not from Edinburgh, he doesn't support Hearts. If he was pushed, his allegiances would be with the wee team. That said, Jason would jump at the opportunity to pull on a maroon jersey.

Have we, in recent times, gone a whole transfer window without signing anyone?

If be happy to sign no one this window and get rid of fringe players who are taking up a wage. 

Save a little money here as we are not an attractive proposition to most we should be looking at, and the squad is easily good enough to won the league.

Or, something we really should do given our resources, do some loans with an option to buy at the end. This approach could have saved us from some complete dross.

Leveins Battalion

A successful window for me involves getting shot of Doyle,Zlamal,Damour.Added in putting Moore,Henderson,Cochrane out on loan or permanent to free up funds.

I'd be happy with 1 or 2 quality players rather than the usual Piccadilly Circus we have seen at Riccarton. 

Slow and steady.

Hearts need to start building now for to become competitive in next seasons premiership. Moore is clearly not in Neilson's plans therefore better if the break takes place now rather than later.
And for that matter Henderson is not far behind in terms of his future role. 
It just go's to show how far both these players have sunk when Roberts and Frear have jumped ahead of them in the pecking order.
I'll be watching this transfer window with a bit more interest. The quality of the signings will I think give a better indication of the type of football Neilson wants us to play.

13 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

A successful window for me involves getting shot of Doyle,Zlamal,Damour.Added in putting Moore,Henderson,Cochrane out on loan or permanent to free up funds.

I'd be happy with 1 or 2 quality players rather than the usual Piccadilly Circus we have seen at Riccarton. 

Slow and steady.

That would be a good start. Add to that tying up new deals for Irving and Kingsley.

1 hour ago, Disco Ball said:

I would imagine the club will want the new SD to be involved in any signings and he doesn't start until Monday or Tuesday so would not expect anything until after that.

1 hour ago, suds66 said:

I think Jason would be a decent signing, he is improving all the time and developing into a good defender. Jason is not from Edinburgh, he doesn't support Hearts. If he was pushed, his allegiances would be with the wee team. That said, Jason would jump at the opportunity to pull on a maroon jersey.

So his name is Jason then..........

18 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

They have to wait for their chance to come learn as they go along. Be involved in the next game experience. Working their socks off in training,keeping the players who are in the match day side on their toes. They are looking to play in games, sitting out to so called  higher level players. They will play, both are still  prospects have ability and played in the team already.,

Just have to get into a winning side.

I don't doubt that at all. It goes for all players regardless of age, ability etc. However I really haven't seen anything in the games this season that would suggest that Moore and to a lesser extent Henderson couldn't have contributed more than Frear or Roberts have. Now I don't see training and maybe they haven't been producing the goods there but at the same time it must be quite disheartening to see how poor the first team wingers (Ginnelly apart) have played and still not be considered for a chance. I realise that Robbie recruired these guys but continually playing them to almost try to justify signing them isn't in my opinion the way to go.

1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

If be happy to sign no one this window and get rid of fringe players who are taking up a wage.

If you mean get rid of fringe players and not sign anyone that would play in the 2nd half of the season, then I might agree but if you mean sign no one at all including pre-contract players then I have to disagree. I think that the majority of people on here believe that 1) we have a squad good enough now to win the Championship, 2) we have the nucleus of a decent squad and 3) we definitely need to improve in several areas for next season. 

There are several good players who on paper would improve us available for free just now that I think it would be a poor decision not to try to sign some of them ASAP and start building for next season.  Not signing anyone and trying to bring players in during the summer would be in my opinion a lot harder and possibly more expensive as you would imagine a good number of the better players in our wage bracket who were available for free would probably have been snapped up by the end of the season.

Neil Dongcaster
1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

Hearts need to start building now for to become competitive in next seasons premiership. Moore is clearly not in Neilson's plans therefore better if the break takes place now rather than later.
And for that matter Henderson is not far behind in terms of his future role. 
It just go's to show how far both these players have sunk when Roberts and Frear have jumped ahead of them in the pecking order.
I'll be watching this transfer window with a bit more interest. The quality of the signings will I think give a better indication of the type of football Neilson wants us to play.

Or we could get shot of the deadwood and save the money for the summer.

2 hours ago, suds66 said:

Where is he from ?

40 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Or we could get shot of the deadwood and save the money for the summer.

It's a subject that's been well covered elsewhere. The deadwood are difficult to move on if they have a ridiculous long contract and command decent salaries.
Why would they, or should they jeopardise a regular income at this time when all clubs don't have a lot a surplus cash floating around to take them off our hands!
I'm afraid we are stuck with the deadwood, until a) contract expires or b) someone else is daft enough to take them off our hands!
The bottom line is - It's not easy getting rid of the deadwood!.....We can try and p*ss them off, get them to train with the laddies, tell them to stay away. but at the end of the day...we gave them a contract, therefore we must honour it.

Neil Dongcaster
3 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

It's a subject that's been well covered elsewhere. The deadwood are difficult to move on if they have a ridiculous long contract and command decent salaries.
Why would they, or should they jeopardise a regular income at this time when all clubs don't have a lot a surplus cash floating around to take them off our hands!
I'm afraid we are stuck with the deadwood, until a) contract expires or b) someone else is daft enough to take them off our hands!
The bottom line is - It's not easy getting rid of the deadwood!.....We can try and p*ss them off, get them to train with the laddies, tell them to stay away. but at the end of the day...we gave them a contract, therefore we must honour it.

One thing people fail to take into account is the huge reduction in salaries these guys have taken since we got demoted. A player earning £3,000 is suddenly on £1,500 which brings him into scope for far more teams. Clearly covid comes into play here with so many teams effected but ultimately football clubs need football players.

There’s also younger players and around the squad that will never make the grade at Hearts, get rid.

8 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

One thing people fail to take into account is the huge reduction in salaries these guys have taken since we got demoted. A player earning £3,000 is suddenly on £1,500 which brings him into scope for far more teams. Clearly covid comes into play here with so many teams effected but ultimately football clubs need football players.

There’s also younger players and around the squad that will never make the grade at Hearts, get rid.

Another thing you fail to take into account is the lack of money other clubs have because of Covid restricted revenue.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I would imagine the club will want the new SD to be involved in any signings and he doesn't start until Monday or Tuesday so would not expect anything until after that.

Agreed . Makes sense he makes all player recruitment announcements rather than feed it in advance to favoured Media Sites as in previous windows 

1 hour ago, dougal said:

If you mean get rid of fringe players and not sign anyone that would play in the 2nd half of the season, then I might agree but if you mean sign no one at all including pre-contract players then I have to disagree. I think that the majority of people on here believe that 1) we have a squad good enough now to win the Championship, 2) we have the nucleus of a decent squad and 3) we definitely need to improve in several areas for next season. 

There are several good players who on paper would improve us available for free just now that I think it would be a poor decision not to try to sign some of them ASAP and start building for next season.  Not signing anyone and trying to bring players in during the summer would be in my opinion a lot harder and possibly more expensive as you would imagine a good number of the better players in our wage bracket who were available for free would probably have been snapped up by the end of the season.

Good point. Pre-contract yes. Signing to play now, I dont think we need so it would have to be an outstanding opportunity that we just couldn't pass up. And when I look at our squad and some of the fringe players I think we can still shift some and not miss them.

17 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Good point. Pre-contract yes. Signing to play now, I dont think we need so it would have to be an outstanding opportunity that we just couldn't pass up. And when I look at our squad and some of the fringe players I think we can still shift some and not miss them.

It's difficult to gauge who the fringe players are just now! With no reserve, U21, U17 games being played just now it's hard to see who we could actively move on, or where they would be a better fit!
The guys out on loan are effectively playing at a level where they should be stand outs week after week....However, that doesn't seem to be the case!.....Combinations of things behind that probably, lack of application and dedication.  
Players that are potentially available to us are most likely not playing any real competitive football just now. If the plan is to use them for the Premiership next season doesn't it make sense to get them in just now, get them match fit, and prepared for next August with a full pre season training camp behind them?
Too often we have seen us signing players on the last days of the summer window then finding it taking an age to get them up to match fitness 

Edited by Hashimoto

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

No idea if true but a few folk saying Connor Simpson is signing,6 ft 5 inch Striker.

currently playing for Cork City in Ireland and has scored 0 goals in 5 games, looking at his previous stats, it doesn't look like he scores goals!

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

No idea if true but a few folk saying Connor Simpson is signing,6 ft 5 inch Striker.

He’ll certainly be known to savage but I’d imagine he’d be one for the development team and not first team 

Just now, Gav M said:

currently playing for Cork City in Ireland and has scored 0 goals in 5 games, looking at his previous stats, it doesn't look like he scores goals!

He’ll do for us then 

36 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Signed for Scarborough at end of October

Gorgie Boot boy
3 hours ago, dougal said:

I don't doubt that at all. It goes for all players regardless of age, ability etc. However I really haven't seen anything in the games this season that would suggest that Moore and to a lesser extent Henderson couldn't have contributed more than Frear or Roberts have. Now I don't see training and maybe they haven't been producing the goods there but at the same time it must be quite disheartening to see how poor the first team wingers (Ginnelly apart) have played and still not be considered for a chance. I realise that Robbie recruired these guys but continually playing them to almost try to justify signing them isn't in my opinion the way to go.

I wouldn't look that deep to be honest, it is normal in most sides a new manager will play the players he signed. Like others have said, it doesn't look like he has faith in them to an extent.

It is pure guess work to suggest they are not good enough because they haven't featured much. It is more to do with  how things pan out for the so called higher level players.

Way to early to judge, your correct in what you say though, it is not the way to go.

The problem with this season is we are judging players through a camera and that’s really limited. You can’t see who is chasing back, covering, making good runs etc. I admit frear and Roberts don’t look anything special but wondering if we’re missing things that the bench are seeing. I know we need to bolster the squad with some real quality - just not sure where based on above 

23 hours ago, jambopilms said:

At least Henderson and Moore will bring some energy and pace whist doing not a lot. Roberts and Frear just do not a lot.

That's about where I am with the 4 players mentioned.

21 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

The problem with this season is we are judging players through a camera and that’s really limited. You can’t see who is chasing back, covering, making good runs etc. I admit frear and Roberts don’t look anything special but wondering if we’re missing things that the bench are seeing. I know we need to bolster the squad with some real quality - just not sure where based on above 

Hard to say for sure but I doubt we are missing much. Both have been dropped and subbed quite often. Just my opinion of course but I think their poor play is very obvious. 

2 hours ago, hunts said:

Penicuik and 100% a Hibs fan

Never worry too much about players allegiances . Was curious where he was from as wiki said Edinburgh

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Lewis Moore is one of those players who gets better the less he plays. Yes he played fairly well under Stendel but I think he could probably be trusted to bring the energy that was required with that style of play.  Energy, commitment and a willingness to run aren't qualities that mean a player should be in and around the Hearts starting XI on a regular basis.

Roberts and Frear have been big disappointments so far but it says a lot about the abilities of Moore and Henderson that they're not getting more game time. I did expect to see a bit more of Moore in particular but that hasn't happened. Henderson seems to be above Moore in the pecking order, but for me Moore is the better player. Neither of them will make it though and they'll both be lower league players which has been alluded to already.

For me, we need no more than 2 players in this window. A left winger and a striker. I would say a striker is probably the priority, someone who provides a different option to Boyce and Wighton. Boyce seems to have been playing through the pain barrier the last few weeks and someone to ease the burden would be beneficial to the squad.

The loan market is probably the best one for us at the moment. Realistically we won't need any additions to win this league and the players we will be looking at will want assurances of top flight football so a short term solution to boost the squad will be the most likely outcome.

Savage will come with his contacts and I'd expect us to start utilising those in the summer but he will likely have been involved in January recruitment before he even took the job.

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper

18 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Who to trust more...

Robbie Neilson, former footballer and current manager.

Or some radges on Kickback.

**** it, start Moore. 

Actually think its an idea. Robbies hardly given him a look in, so fairly confident if given the chance he'd turn up and seriously bust a gut to prove him wrong. 

Its one of those can't lose situations. He gives Lewis the game time and he flops, no one can say he didn't get a chance. Likewise, he goes out and has the game of his life, then suddenly its game on with regards to Frear and Roberts continued inclusion in the squads and probably saves the club having to fork out to sign someone competent.

18 hours ago, jr ewing said:

It's odd how far away he is from starting. Can't understand why. 

New management team don't rate him ?

Holyrood_Hearts
16 hours ago, JamboAl said:

He also tried to play Mulraney as a wing back against Celtic and that was a howling success.

I’m sure he was brought in with the intentions of converting him into a wing back. He played LWB very early on against Raith in the League Cup and was terrible. Turns out he just wasn’t very good at football.

Neil Dongcaster
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Another thing you fail to take into account is the lack of money other clubs have because of Covid restricted revenue.

4 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Clearly covid comes into play here with so many teams effected but ultimately football clubs need football players..

:jj_facepalm:

Just now, Holyrood_Hearts said:

I’m sure he was brought in with the intentions of converting him into a wing back. He played LWB very early on against Raith in the League Cup and was terrible. Turns out he just wasn’t very good at football.

Think you are totally wrong there . He had shitloads of pace , two footed and skilful . Made us some money too !

Problem appeared to be getting him to show the above talents consistently

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Hard to say for sure but I doubt we are missing much. Both have been dropped and subbed quite often. Just my opinion of course but I think their poor play is very obvious. 

And Frear's and Roberts' poot play isn't obvious?

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And Frear's and Roberts' poot play isn't obvious?

That was who I was talking about. It is obvious yes. 

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That was who I was talking about. It is obvious yes. 

lol.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )