Berra......

Section Q

6 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Wasn’t that Steve Maclean’s fault that he had to make a last ditch tackle from a shit ball by SM and injured himself in the process 

I think so. Halkett's injury was mentioned on that pish doc so should be easy to find out!

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

27 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Think it's more his mobility than pace that's the worry. The way we want to play Berra will probably be back-up, or maybe the middle of a back 3 if we play that some games, until Souttar's back. He's good experienced back up for this level so long as he concentrates on headers and hoofs. Would be good to see us blood a young CB if we have one though. It's been slim pickings with youngsters there since Berra himself broke through.

I think Berra will see a lot of game time this season. I’ve just got an uneasy feeling about Popescu. 

Callum Flatman should be our next break through centre half but will be a couple of seasons yet. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Herbert said:

Imagine him against the pace of Forrest, Edward etc, We would be better flooding the midfield if were 2-1 up and defending further up the pitch.

If the celtic front players click we could be blown away, won't be berras fault. 

I've seen very good Hearts teams rag dolled in Glasgow, it's a shot fa t of life. 

5 hours ago, Herbert said:

He was match fit last season and was terrible, what do you think has changed?

The reports I have read from Dundee fans are that he did well for them last year.

Whilst I think this will probably be his last year at the club, it’s not clear that he can’t do a job for us in the Championship this year. 

24 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If the celtic front players click we could be blown away, won't be berras fault. 

I've seen very good Hearts teams rag dolled in Glasgow, it's a shot fa t of life. 

100%. If Celtic are in the mood and on form nobody can compete unless they have shit luck which is highly unusual. Add in corrupt referees and linesmen and it’s a toxic mix.

Berra needs games and I feel will yet have a big part to play. He’s nowhere near where he was 3 years ago but that’s age and injuries. The championship is likely his level (no disrespect to him) given his age now and that’s where we are so I’m not writing him off yet. He’s just back

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

I think Berra will see a lot of game time this season. I’ve just got an uneasy feeling about Popescu. 

Callum Flatman should be our next break through centre half but will be a couple of seasons yet. 

you really don’t rate Popescu do you? 8 games in and for him just settling in to the club

4 hours ago, Herbert said:

Imagine him against the pace of Forrest, Edward etc, We would be better flooding the midfield if were 2-1 up and defending further up the pitch.

let Celtic play through the middle and they destroy teams. Force them out wide and it gives a chance as they aren’t quite so effective. 
I say flood the midfield 4-5-1 and it gives us a chance if our mid is on form . Haring , Lee and Halliday will be pivotal. 

5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

100%. If Celtic are in the mood and on form nobody can compete unless they have shit luck which is highly unusual. Add in corrupt referees and linesmen and it’s a toxic mix.

Berra needs games and I feel will yet have a big part to play. He’s nowhere near where he was 3 years ago but that’s age and injuries. The championship is likely his level (no disrespect to him) given his age now and that’s where we are so I’m not writing him off yet. He’s just back

Toxic mix indeed ..... .Berra though , I love the thought that in training,rather than blooter it , we practice ,as soon as he’s got it , players run to space and give him options..... . Simple in my head 😎

34 minutes ago, McCrae said:

The reports I have read from Dundee fans are that he did well for them last year.

Whilst I think this will probably be his last year at the club, it’s not clear that he can’t do a job for us in the Championship this year. 

A past it player that wasnt good enough to play for us last season and was shipped out to a pish team the division below shouldn't be good enough this season. We're ment to be moving forward and building for next season, Not going backwards with has been players.

It was his first game back and he would have been tired so I’ll give him a break but I wasn’t exactly surprised their second came from a punt over Berra between the CB’s.

A repeat of many goals we have lost with Berra in the team the last 2 years

He gets some slack because it might be down to tiredness at that stage in the game but still - experience should conquer heavy legs

He will be useful as some have mentioned already for chucking into the last quarter or more of the game.   Dunfermline could be one of those games, they are good on setpieces.   Starting him in that game would be fatal, they are good on the counter.   Best off the bench. 

To be fair to berra or anyone that plays their first match with players it can be a mess first time.   Just has to realise his mistakes and go from there.   

16 hours ago, Herbert said:

He was match fit last season and was terrible, what do you think has changed?

he was OK at Dundee by all account. And what's changed now? Craig Gordon and Robbie Nielsen.

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

he was OK at Dundee by all account. And what's changed now? Craig Gordon and Robbie Nielsen.

Are we now at the level were ok at a pish dundee side is acceptable? It doesn't matter who the manager or keeper is he's still well past his best.

43 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Are we now at the level were ok at a pish dundee side is acceptable? It doesn't matter who the manager or keeper is he's still well past his best.

more a case that feedback from dundee fans about Berra was favourable  - a club in the same league as us.

I do think an excellent keeper and (so far) a manager who is performing well will be beneficial to Berra.

Happy to give Berra time to prove either way if he's still got it.

Christophe Berra will be 36 in January.  His time as a player is coming to an end.  He may have a few years left playing at a lower level but probably not at a top club in the Championship.  I believe he will retire at end of season and go into coaching.

This season Christophe will be a good reserve player but nothing more.  PHM

13 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

you really don’t rate Popescu do you? 8 games in and for him just settling in to the club

Nah I really don’t. But you’re right it’s too early to judge properly. 

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Exactly some people are just desperate for Berra to play a part. Sentimental nothing more.

He'll do as backup for a season.

We'll to upgrade significantly at Centerhalf in the summer. One or two very good ones depending on Soapys fitness.

47 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

more a case that feedback from dundee fans about Berra was favourable  - a club in the same league as us.

I do think an excellent keeper and (so far) a manager who is performing well will be beneficial to Berra.

Happy to give Berra time to prove either way if he's still got it.

So your happy to forget the months of dire performances,points he lost us, own goals etc cause dundee a team we just skelpt  fans said he was ok. The whole point in the defence is to protect the keeper and goal, the keeper isn't there to protect the defence.

41 minutes ago, Herbert said:

So your happy to forget the months of dire performances,points he lost us, own goals etc cause dundee a team we just skelpt  fans said he was ok. The whole point in the defence is to protect the keeper and goal, the keeper isn't there to protect the defence.

where did I say any of that?

I'm happy to put my faith into our manager and his coaching staff and see if their influence can lead to a better player.

I also didn't say the keeper is there to protect the defence. The influence and abilities of Gordon when working with the defence will be immeasurably better than last years keepers. 

1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

where did I say any of that?

I'm happy to put my faith into our manager and his coaching staff and see if their influence can lead to a better player.

I also didn't say the keeper is there to protect the defence. The influence and abilities of Gordon when working with the defence will be immeasurably better than last years keepers. 

You said dundee fans said he was ok, I was pointing out he was pish with us for months before hand and having a few ok games in a shit dundee side count for nothing.

Berra's time has been and gone. He looks like he's been struggling since about the end of the 18/19season. We can't afford passengers, poor management wasnt the issue with Berra, He has been in the game long enough as has Naismith who didn't suffer the same drop in form/ability under the same manager for that not to have such a effect on him. It doesnt matter who is in goals he's still pish now. I dont know why people want to hang onto players that are past it.

Berra has had his time and really should think of retirement. Or maybe go part-time with a lower club and get involved in coaching.. 

We have a problem in the central defensive areas anyway and someone who hasn't any pace will be swept aside at times. Popescu is only a short-term fix as far as i'm concerned. He played with St Mirren a while back and if that's the new Hearts standard then i worry for the future. Halkett isn't a natural defender, much better if he was playing in defensive midfield role in front of a solid back two. He links well with midfielders and wide players and has scored quite a few goals for himself, which i would expect from a former striker.  I worry that Souttar's career is over. These injuries have plagued him for too long now, reminds me of Levein after he was out two or three times long-term. So if your choice of defenders comes from Berra, Popescu. Halkett and Souttar you have a problem to deal with. I'm actually surprised Berra wanted to continue at Hearts given he was moaning in the press when Stendel got shot. I think him and a few others were in their comfort zone under Levein and didn't like Stendel calling them out for it. Tough! It's what's needed when a new manager comes in. 

Next season we're going to need two solid out and out central defenders brought in. I'd love it if we could afford to bring in Dunne to replace Berra but we'd need a new right-sided central defender as well. It's definitely going to be a problem soon enough and if Halkett or Popescu get injured as well, we're in the shit. We need a couple of strikers as well incase Naismith and Boyce end up out long-term. It's two areas of the field i've been concerned about since the season started. 

30 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Berra has had his time and really should think of retirement. Or maybe go part-time with a lower club and get involved in coaching.. 

We have a problem in the central defensive areas anyway and someone who hasn't any pace will be swept aside at times. Popescu is only a short-term fix as far as i'm concerned. He played with St Mirren a while back and if that's the new Hearts standard then i worry for the future. Halkett isn't a natural defender, much better if he was playing in defensive midfield role in front of a solid back two. He links well with midfielders and wide players and has scored quite a few goals for himself, which i would expect from a former striker.  I worry that Souttar's career is over. These injuries have plagued him for too long now, reminds me of Levein after he was out two or three times long-term. So if your choice of defenders comes from Berra, Popescu. Halkett and Souttar you have a problem to deal with. I'm actually surprised Berra wanted to continue at Hearts given he was moaning in the press when Stendel got shot. I think him and a few others were in their comfort zone under Levein and didn't like Stendel calling them out for it. Tough! It's what's needed when a new manager comes in. 

Next season we're going to need two solid out and out central defenders brought in. I'd love it if we could afford to bring in Dunne to replace Berra but we'd need a new right-sided central defender as well. It's definitely going to be a problem soon enough and if Halkett or Popescu get injured as well, we're in the shit. We need a couple of strikers as well incase Naismith and Boyce end up out long-term. It's two areas of the field i've been concerned about since the season started. 

Perhaps you should retire if this is the standard of your posts

23 minutes ago, Herbert said:

You said dundee fans said he was ok, I was pointing out he was pish with us for months before hand and having a few ok games in a shit dundee side count for nothing.

Berra's time has been and gone. He looks like he's been struggling since about the end of the 18/19season. We can't afford passengers, poor management wasnt the issue with Berra, He has been in the game long enough as has Naismith who didn't suffer the same drop in form/ability under the same manager for that not to have such a effect on him. It doesnt matter who is in goals he's still pish now. I dont know why people want to hang onto players that are past it.

I did indeed say Dundee fans said they were happy with him. I didn't say I was happy to ignore previous poor performances for us. 

I think Naismith didn't fare that well in the same period, and he's not been outstanding this season - but like Berra is building back to match fitness.

I'm not fussed either way if Berra can get back to his old form (hope he does) - so I'm not one of those people who wants to hang onto players who are past it.

Just saying give the player a chance - which is what our new manager is trying to do with the squad. Nielsen won't let Berra hang around for sentiments sake after giving him a chance and thats fine by me.

Just now, CJGJ said:

Perhaps you should retire if this is the standard of your posts

Nothing wrong with my post. Perhaps you should actually make some points in a post then it might be worth reading.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Dunne? 

You want us to carry 5/6 centre haves that include Dunne to replace Berra and cover injuries for Halkett, Popescu and Soapy? 

You also want another 2 striker's in case our best 2 get injured. 

Too much football manager and/ or  sherbet for you. 

Also, in regards to stendel, I'm unsure if his decision making was something that was positive. 

Folk also need to think when they use stendel as a yard stick for success or making good decisions, he taken us to bottom of the league. 

Folk Litterally thought we couldn't get any worse under CL, we actually did under Stendel. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Dunne? 

You want us to carry 5/6 centre haves that include Dunne to replace Berra and cover injuries for Halkett, Popescu and Soapy? 

You also want another 2 striker's in case our best 2 get injured. 

Too much football manager and/ or  sherbet for you. 

Also, in regards to stendel, I'm unsure if his decision making was something that was positive. 

Folk also need to think when they use stendel as a yard stick for success or making good decisions, he taken us to bottom of the league. 

Folk Litterally thought we couldn't get any worse under CL, we actually did under Stendel. 

An expected response from an expected poster. I forgot you know everything, silly me! 

Totally disregarding what was actually posted or twisted out of context to suit, and not for the first time. I'll try to explain it a little bit more if it makes it easier. 

1- Berra is on his last year/way out therefore he will need to be replaced. Dunne was an example of the perfect replacement, left-footed, good in the air, decent with the ball at his feet so that's that cleared up. I also said Popescu, i think, is a short-term fix and if we could manage to get Dunne in, Popescu would be less involved and eventually released. There's no guarantee Souttar will come back from the terrible injuries he sustained so it makes sense to be looking at a replacement. Halkett does a shift in defence but he's not a natural centre-half, he's a former striker and he links up well through the middle of the team.

2- "too much football manager"....i assume you;re talking about those daft FiFa games console thingies that teenagers play with? 

3- (covering all Stendel paragraphs) You said yourself that you are "unsure" about his decision making....there were a few that improved a lot under Stendel which is/was a positive so i think a few players would disagree with that. There were others who didn't like the changes (Mulraney, Whelan, Berra etc) and were rightly removed. Folk forget that the squad that Levein put together were signed to play in a certain way/style and Stendel's style was the complete opposite, hence the petted lip from a few whingers. Berra in the press etc...pathetic. They hated change, their comfort zone was being challenged. As for being bottom of the league, we were heading there anyway, Stendel or not. What was it before he came in again? Three wins in nine months or something? I said it would take 18 months or so for Stendel to rejuvenate the squad. It was never going to happen in the space of a few months. Too many slackers in the squad that needed culled and he'd made a start. Defence would've been the next thing to sort out. The defenders had no pace and got caught out too often. 

It's all about opinions, some folk agree, some don't. 

On 11/11/2020 at 11:10, Gordon Ramsay said:

Yep. Don't think the match fit argument holds much water either given how pish he was last season before Stendel shipped him out. 

Been a great servant to the club but his place is on the bench now. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jambonian said:

An expected response from an expected poster. I forgot you know everything, silly me! 

Totally disregarding what was actually posted or twisted out of context to suit, and not for the first time. I'll try to explain it a little bit more if it makes it easier. 

1- Berra is on his last year/way out therefore he will need to be replaced. Dunne was an example of the perfect replacement, left-footed, good in the air, decent with the ball at his feet so that's that cleared up. I also said Popescu, i think, is a short-term fix and if we could manage to get Dunne in, Popescu would be less involved and eventually released. There's no guarantee Souttar will come back from the terrible injuries he sustained so it makes sense to be looking at a replacement. Halkett does a shift in defence but he's not a natural centre-half, he's a former striker and he links up well through the middle of the team.

2- "too much football manager"....i assume you;re talking about those daft FiFa games console thingies that teenagers play with? 

3- (covering all Stendel paragraphs) You said yourself that you are "unsure" about his decision making....there were a few that improved a lot under Stendel which is/was a positive so i think a few players would disagree with that. There were others who didn't like the changes (Mulraney, Whelan, Berra etc) and were rightly removed. Folk forget that the squad that Levein put together were signed to play in a certain way/style and Stendel's style was the complete opposite, hence the petted lip from a few whingers. Berra in the press etc...pathetic. They hated change, their comfort zone was being challenged. As for being bottom of the league, we were heading there anyway, Stendel or not. What was it before he came in again? Three wins in nine months or something? I said it would take 18 months or so for Stendel to rejuvenate the squad. It was never going to happen in the space of a few months. Too many slackers in the squad that needed culled and he'd made a start. Defence would've been the next thing to sort out. The defenders had no pace and got caught out too often. 

It's all about opinions, some folk agree, some don't. 

Aye, it's all about opinions, that part we can agree on. 

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, o1djambo said:

Aye as maybe but Berra still here and Stendal been shipped out. 

That doesn’t mean anything. Berra should be out the door 

14 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Robbie will be the judge and he’s already said he’ll have a big part to play. 

On 12/11/2020 at 14:48, jambonian said:

John McGinn played for St Mirren a while back - would you take him now? We can't just rule out signings because they play for / have played for 'diddy' clubs. We should be picking up the better players from the likes of St Mirren and hoping they improve with better player around them (the theory being we really ought to have better players than St Mirren...)

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, pointon said:

I find it a hard watch to see Berra struggle through a match these days 

These days? He's played for us once this year........

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

John McGinn played for St Mirren a while back - would you take him now? We can't just rule out signings because they play for / have played for 'diddy' clubs. We should be picking up the better players from the likes of St Mirren and hoping they improve with better player around them (the theory being we really ought to have better players than St Mirren...)

Every post from him makes little sense Tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think you know what he means. Stop being awkward. 

Bazzas right boot
16 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

It means a lot Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I think you know what he means. Stop being awkward. 

I really don't. 

Folk create a narrative and stick by it, even although it makes no sense. 

Almost every Hearts player last season was poor, yet most posters agree that under a new manager they get a clean slate. 

Apparently this does not include Berra tho, who after one game is getting ripped to bits. 

How can anyone say that he is "struggling these days" is beyond me- Litterally played his  first game this year for us. 

Even if his time is up, he deserves more respect, ffs hibs fans would probably not be so disrespectful to the guy. 

I don't think he's the future, but as a member of the squad he'll have a bit to play in  this season. 

More importantly he's also under contract and plays for Hearts, so while he does that and wears our Jersey he gets my support. Some folk should ****ing try that rather than picking a player to stick the boot into.

The guy will be with us for another 6 months, 6 months of Berra bashing will just be arsehole behaviour imo, but Tbh if it wasn't him it would be Halkett, Lee, Wighton - certain folk just need to bash someone, unsure why. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I really don't. 

Almost every Hearts player last season was poor, yet most posters agree that under a new manager they get a clean slate. 

Apparently this does not include Berra tho, who after one game is getting ripped to bits. 

How can anyone say that he is "struggling these days" is beyond me- Litterally played his  first game this year for us. 

Even if his time is up, he deserves more respect, ffs hibs fans would probably not be so disrespectful to the guy. 

I don't think he's the future, but as a member of the squad he'll have a bit to play in  this season. 

More importantly he's also under contract and plays for Hearts, so while he does that and wears our Jersey he gets my support. Some folk should ****ing try that rather than picking a player to stick the boot into.

The guy will be with us for another 6 months, 6 months of Berra bashing will just be arsehole behaviour imo, but Tbh if it wasn't him it would be Halkett, Lee, Wighton - certain folk just need to bash someone, unsure why. 

He's been pish since before the cup final, He cost us that game. He's not going to improve. He is always caught out with the ball over his head, When he gets the ball its lumped forward to the opposition more often than not.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

And he was hard to watch for almost all games he’s played since his injury.

If you get Berra turning he is done and that was evident with numerous goals conceded with balls over the top. Berra’s strength is winning headers in the box but as a complete defender with the ability to pass he isnt the answer, as sad as that is.

That is absolutely clear to anyone and while in this league he might get away with that i’d rather not persist with it.

Edited by Jamboelite

Niemi’s gloves
44 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I really don't. 

Excellent post

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not the best timeline description but he has been toiling for a longtime he has been a good servant for the club now a liability 

12 minutes ago, pointon said:

Not the best timeline description but he has been toiling for a longtime he has been a good servant for the club now a liability 

Perhaps you could tell us how he is a liability ?...it is more or less agreed he is part of the squad as cover and we would need to pay someone else to do that job with no guarantees they would be any better.

Sad little post just trying to put the boot in

6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Perhaps you could tell us how he is a liability ?...it is more or less agreed he is part of the squad as cover and we would need to pay someone else to do that job with no guarantees they would be any better.

We could get a far better investment for the money he's being paid, therefore he's a liability.

It's a shame as he's been a great servant. But that's football and he'll have no regrets which is the main thing. 

Holyrood_Hearts
11 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Tbh I’d rather play Haring, Kingsley or Smith at CB than play Berra