All Home games to be streamed for ST Holders

neilnunb

The Treasurer
22 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I feel the club are between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I also feel heartfelt sorry for our fans who are genuinely and financially struggling at the moment due to covid. It’s a lose lose situation for everyone who have bought an ST. I’m also in the multi ST household and have an absolute shit internet stream to compound things. I still don’t want refunded though as this will hurt the club even further. I look upon the ‘no away days’ as a saving of sorts and over the course of the season i think I’ll be financially, ‘quids in’ owing to the fact I’m spending nothing on food, drink and travel. 

The club simply have to engage with our support and offer something a bit further down the line to make up for this. We can’t offer the 18 games at Tynecastle with a guarantee and then simply sweep it away. Lots of our support bought tickets on the strength of the 18 games guarantee. The club need to address this sooner rather than later as apathy and anger are beginning to settle in with a section of our support. 

My own thoughts are that the club could offer a 10% discount for the next 3 years on ST’s, or give additional tickets for games, or perhaps reduced price tickets for future cup games. There’s needs to be far better communication and transparency before we have some  supporters dragging this further through the mire. 

As a platinum ST holder I am losing out to a certain extent.

While I have no intention of asking or wanting any refund, I agree that some sort of offer needs to come from the club.

A reduction in future ST prices would probably be the best idea as discounting cup tickets may be a problem with having to share gate monies

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• iainmac

• Beast Boy

• Gorgie Boot boy

11 hours ago, luckydug said:

Why should a match which is free on National TV be counted as part

of a ST ?. 

Fridays game will be 'free' to everyone 'except' Hearts ST holders. 

If the game isn’t broadcast to ST holders on Hearts TV format, then it surely can’t count towards the ST. Although the club seems to already have made its mind up on this when they announced about the 4 game carry over. Just wish someone at the club would come out and put it all to bed once and for all to confirm clubs stance. 

13 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Sorry if I've missed it but is the club still maintaining that it won't offer PPV to non-season ticket holders in the UK for home games?

Don't think so. There was a single tweet that seemed to say that. That tweet was a reply to someone not a pre-planned tweet. The original statement about streaming said that they were planning to offer PPV to non-season ticket holders.

I think it would be fair to say that it is unclear at the moment. We're still three and a half weeks away from the first time this will be required. The trouble the club now has is that by failing to deal with the frustrations of (some) season ticket holders in a sensible way they have created a challenge in how to price PPV for non-season ticket holders without looking like season ticket holders are being ripped off again. This is another reason the delay in responding to unhappy season ticket holders is such poor practice. They should be trying to create us much time between 'resolving' season ticket holders complaints and announcing PPV details to give time for anger to dissipate.

10 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’ve been quiet on this but read with interest. For multi ST one households it’s clear to me some sort of refund or money off future STs should be given.

I’m silver and just me in this house. I know a pal who bought 5 in gold and has the same feed as me on hearts tv. That’s simply not right and needs to be addressed by hearts. 
personally I’m not bothered about refunds for myself even if games are on bbc etc but for my mate who shelled out over £1,000 it’s clearly unfair. Hopefully Hearts will offer him and others some sort of discount for future STs if not a refund of sorts.

Yep, I agree. Multi-ST households should be entitled to a refund (for all but 1 ticket). Then the club should promise to  'hold the seat(s)'... if the season restarts with crowds, they're offered a reduced price ST, for their held seats.

I've only got my own ST and am fully 'gadgeted up'... so I'm one of the 'lucky' ones and don't want a refund. The club, however, MUST do more and make some kind of announcement.

The club should recognise the season ticket holders who have stepped up this season, a 5% lifetime recognition discount or something similar would be an appropriate gesture 

2 minutes ago, brux said:

The club should recognise the season ticket holders who have stepped up this season, a 5% lifetime recognition discount or something similar would be an appropriate gesture 

A smaller percentage discount over a longer period may be more manageable for the club. I think mass reductions or refunds will cripple the club next year. 

7 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yep, I agree. Multi-ST households should be entitled to a refund (for all but 1 ticket). Then the club should promise to  'hold the seat(s)'... if the season restarts with crowds, they're offered a reduced price ST, for their held seats.

I've only got my own ST and am fully 'gadgeted up'... so I'm one of the 'lucky' ones and don't want a refund. The club, however, MUST do more and make some kind of announcement.

Maybe as a matter of principle there should be a discount for multi-buys for families at the same address, maybe something like 10% off a second ticket s/t and a further 10% for third and fourth S/T's up to a maximum 30%. This would encourage families to attend, Possibly with an age cut-off of 18 for people in work and 21 for students.

Club needs to address this mess asap. Lots of goodwill disappearing. I have 2 season tickets but don't want to watch streamed games. Happy the matches hold until allowed back in.

Edited by The Fox

8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

A smaller percentage discount over a longer period may be more manageable for the club. I think mass reductions or refunds will cripple the club next year. 

Agreed and I don't want a refund on the four that I bought. The club are struggling for survival and the season ticket money will help with this but I share the sentiment that they need to communicate better with the fans as we may have to pay similar amounts next season with still no guarantee of watching the games. I do get annoyed with the people who seem to be implying that this was some elaborate sting carried out by the club. This an unprecedented situation in an unprecedented time and survival is all we can hope for. 

If the club just rides this out as has been suggested it has the potential to cause a great deal of damage in the future. There is every chance that when the renewal window opens for next season in March/April we will still be in a very similar situation with Covid 19 as we are right now. If this continues into early summer then there is every chance that certainly multiple season ticket holders will renew one ticket at best or none as either they are still upset how they were treated or do not want to not sit together when things do return to normal. 

Edited by Jodami

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Did you also borrow it to join JKB 4 years ago ? If so maybe you could borrow it to watch the games. 

Yes it is, but as it is on its last legs and I rarely used it, it is his now.

I did ask about borrowing it back, but he pointed out that as our child care commitments run mainly from Monday to Friday, he can give me no guarantee of access to 18 live games at tynecastle.  (He is at school at the moment before you ask)
Thanks for your concern and research.

10 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

If people are getting honest but frustrated replies from someone in the ticket office, it might be kinder not to share them verbatim on here. I'm sure none of us want to get a front line (and probably fairly low paid) member of staff in trouble because they are trying to provide the most honest response they can to fans. They've probably been told to stick to the neutral, bland, initial holding response but are aware of its inadequacy after 3 weeks of people waiting for a response.

Fair point and one I should have considered. 

However, I believe the club should never have put the staff in this situation.

wattie exploited
36 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

this 100 %    :rifle:

3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

...as discounting cup tickets may be a problem with having to share gate monies

I'd like to see a creative solution to this whereby STs aren't counted in gate-sharing. Or cup games are included for a fiver and if you haven't got a ST you can buy a cup-tie ticket at the face value of a fiver but with a booking fee (much as I dislike the concept of a booking fee, we could possibly get it to work in our favour) to take it up to whatever the normal ticket price would be.

Plusses would be:

(1) ST holders get their ticket included so crowds may be larger

(2) Nobody is paying more than usual for a cup-tie ticket so crowds may be larger

(3) Opposition get reduced ££

No doubt there'll be something in the SFA Articles of Association that would mean we'd be kicked out of the competition for even thinking of such a thing...

portobellojambo1

I think it would be a good idea of HMFC to give strong consideration to looking at sales per household and considering giving a refund where multiple ST's have been purchased within those households, if refunds are requested.

The only thing I can think that might be holding things up is have the club already spent some of the ST money or already know how they will spend it, and additionally any impact on corporate tax. I'm guessing that when the ST sale period ended the club then had to declare the income from these ST's and corporate tax was calculated. For the latter I'd imagine that if they refund a number of ST's then it would be easy enough to contact HMRC and amend any figures prior to the end of the tax year. The club will be looking for/hoping all ST holders renew again next season and the best way to help that happen would be to show a bit goodwill this time round, to those fans who would benefit from having some money returned to them at a time when money is being stretched to the limit.

The Treasurer
12 minutes ago, Boof said:

I'd like to see a creative solution to this whereby STs aren't counted in gate-sharing. Or cup games are included for a fiver and if you haven't got a ST you can buy a cup-tie ticket at the face value of a fiver but with a booking fee (much as I dislike the concept of a booking fee, we could possibly get it to work in our favour) to take it up to whatever the normal ticket price would be.

Plusses would be:

(2) Nobody is paying more than usual for a cup-tie ticket so crowds may be larger

No doubt there'll be something in the SFA Articles of Association that would mean we'd be kicked out of the competition for even thinking of such a thing...

Some decent ideas there Boof.

As you say, some creative thinking required so as to reward fans but, equally importantly, maximise income for the club

30 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

Fair point and one I should have considered. 

However, I believe the club should never have put the staff in this situation.

Sorry, should have said it wasn't intended as a criticism of you or anyone else that had already posted. Just something for people to think about in the future. Totally agree the club/senior management shouldn't have put ticket office staff in this situation.

14 minutes ago, Boof said:

Plusses would be:

League Cup rules include a minimum price for tickets. For clubs to charge below that price requires the agreement of the away team. I'd assume the same is in place for the Scottish Cup.

8 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I think it would be a good idea of HMFC to give strong consideration to looking at sales per household and considering giving a refund where multiple ST's have been purchased within those households, if refunds are requested.

The only thing I can think that might be holding things up is have the club already spent some of the ST money or already know how they will spend it, and additionally any impact on corporate tax. I'm guessing that when the ST sale period ended the club then had to declare the income from these ST's and corporate tax was calculated. For the latter I'd imagine that if they refund a number of ST's then it would be easy enough to contact HMRC and amend any figures prior to the end of the tax year. The club will be looking for/hoping all ST holders renew again next season and the best way to help that happen would be to show a bit goodwill this time round, to those fans who would benefit from having some money returned to them at a time when money is being stretched to the limit.

They couldn't legally do that.

Each individual ST is a separate contract between the holder and the club.

If they're going to offer a refund on one ST, they'd have to offer the same to everyone else that wants one.

11 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

League Cup rules include a minimum price for tickets. For clubs to charge below that price requires the agreement of the away team. I'd assume the same is in place for the Scottish Cup.

Minimum as set by the relevant associations? There must be a trade-off whereby lower prices = more fans = more match-day consumables sold. Probably that trade-off will be different for every club and we'll all just have to do whatever Peter Lawwell wants anyway.

36 minutes ago, Boof said:

Plusses would be:

The opposition have to agree cup gate prices. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The opposition have to agree cup gate prices. 

Individually per game? Bearing in mind the association-set (presumably) minimum?

Or can they disregard the minimum if they both agree?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mass refund requests would be a nightmare for the club and I hope it doesn’t happen.

For what it’s worth, I think the attitude towards Hearts would be understanding from most people if they actually engaged about this subject. Trying to let it blow over, which is clearly the strategy at Tynecastle, is only going to chip away at the good will. It’s not really their prerogative to say streams are the equivalent of games in the flesh. They can offer that but they really should be offering a refund option too, just to be fair.

I dont want a refund on all 3 STs, i'd be happy with a decent percentage offered off next season.

I suppose the biggest issue for the club is they dont have a clue how long fans won't be allowed in for, I am sure they were hoping it was only a few home game then fans would be back in.  Its clear now however that this isnt going to be the case.  3,4 or 5 games you could take it on the chin becuase it helps the club b ut potentially the whole season?

Lets not forget also these are Scottish Championship games and the st prices are pretty much the same as Premiership prices.

Pause the season tickets, offer a seperate service for streaming at say £25 quid a game and I am all for it.

Edited by Br00n

47 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Mass refund requests would be a nightmare for the club and I hope it doesn’t happen.

For what it’s worth, I think the attitude towards Hearts would be understanding from most people if they actually engaged about this subject. Trying to let it blow over, which is clearly the strategy at Tynecastle, is only going to chip away at the good will. It’s not really their prerogative to say streams are the equivalent of games in the flesh. They can offer that but they really should be offering a refund option too, just to be fair.

Spot on. Just be honest and tell us what is happening. Tell us what games count towards the ST and which don’t. The only time they seem to engage with fans is when asking for more cash. 

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I agree with you, and I honestly don't think it will happen, i.e. that all fans would ask for their money back, in fact I think it would be a reasonable small percentage. But as Iain Mac has correctly pointed out above it would have to be an option given to everyone, and the only issue could be if some sort of domino effect then potentially happened, with an initial batch asking for refunds and others then following suit.

2 hours ago, Boof said:

Minimum as set by the relevant associations? There must be a trade-off whereby lower prices = more fans = more match-day consumables sold. Probably that trade-off will be different for every club and we'll all just have to do whatever Peter Lawwell wants anyway.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

Individually per game? Bearing in mind the association-set (presumably) minimum?

Or can they disregard the minimum if they both agree?

Yes, minimum set by the association. But the two clubs involved in the game can agree to go below that minimum. What it prevents is one club unilaterally setting a lower price.

I seem to recall Saint Johnstone refused to let us lower the price for a cup game at Tynecastle. They didn't want to lose out on money but also wanted less Hearts fans at the game.

1 hour ago, Br00n said:

I dont want a refund on all 3 STs, i'd be happy with a decent percentage offered off next season.

I suppose the biggest issue for the club is they dont have a clue how long fans won't be allowed in for, I am sure they were hoping it was only a few home game then fans would be back in.  Its clear now however that this isnt going to be the case.  3,4 or 5 games you could take it on the chin becuase it helps the club b ut potentially the whole season?

Lets not forget also these are Scottish Championship games and the st prices are pretty much the same as Premiership prices.

Pause the season tickets, offer a seperate service for streaming at say £25 quid a game and I am all for it.

If Hearts start issuing discounts left, right and centre for next season, how do you propose we pay the players wages once back in the top flight!!

Funding the club on the basis of £25 PPV streams would reduce our ticket revenue to the equivalent of an average crowd of 2k overnight.

Edited by David McCaig

wattie exploited
1 hour ago, Br00n said:

£25 to stream a game you can get the EPL games streamed for £15  :rifle:

8 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

If Hearts start issuing discounts left, right and centre for next season, how do you propose we pay the players wages once back in the top flight!!

Funding the club on the basis of £25 PPV streams would reduce our ticket revenue to the equivalent of an average crowd of 2k overnight.

The majority of match day expenditure is saved ie policing and stewards which must be a substantial amount per game.

Its merely a suggestion. 

11 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

£25 to stream a game you can get the EPL games streamed for £15  :rifle:

Their business model is hardly dependent on crowds ( real or virtual ) at all given tv income. 

Just now, Br00n said:

The majority of match day expenditure is saved ie policing and stewards which must be a substantial amount per game.

Its merely a suggestion. 

The savings on police and stewards are probably in the negligible category.

We are losing all hospitality income and even with 11.5k STs, we are well down on our usual crowds of 17k x 18 matches.  How can anyone not think the club is doing anything other than haemorraging cash this season is beyond me.

7 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

[...]

The club simply have to engage with our support

[...]

Indeed. It's the very least that the support deserves.

I have sent an e-mail to the club saying that I want a response to my letter by Friday or I will be requesting a refund for both season tickets within our household

My intention was never to ask for a refund however the lack of the communication has been really poor that I now feel there is no option but to request one. 

I think the only sensible solution would be to offer either discounts on future STs or additional tickets to certain games, I understand it’s a difficult situation but the communication (or lack of) has been awful. 

If it had been any other company (airline, restaurant, theatre etc) there would be a lot more outrage. 

Edited by Farmer1

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Your first point is valid but also illustrates a large element of the problem here. Rank mismanagement by people at the club on the football side for a number of years has put us in this position and the whole guarantee communication was because season tickets were slow. Non communication by the self same people responsible for those failures is not going to land well particularly when they are not slow to talk about integrity on numerous occasions. Other teams are suffering in the current climate but our uniquely disadvantageous position is largely of our own making. 

6 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Your first point is valid but also illustrates a large element of the problem here. Rank mismanagement by people at the club on the football side for a number of years has put us in this position and the whole guarantee communication was because season tickets were slow. Non communication by the self same people responsible for those failures is not going to land well particularly when they are not slow to talk about integrity on numerous occasions. Other teams are suffering in the current climate but our uniquely disadvantageous position is largely of our own making. 

We issued an inept initial statement, but the solution we have opted for is identical to what is being offered by every other major club in Scotland.

If refunds were to be offered and taken up in any meaningful way we would be staring admin in the face if not liquidation.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

We issued an inept initial statement, but the solution we have opted for is identical to what is being offered by every other major club in Scotland.

If refunds were to be offered and taken up in any meaningful way we would be staring admin in the face if not liquidation.

Our initial communication was misleading, that is the crux of this matter. 

Mismanagement at the club has left us uniquely exposed due to our demotion. Predictions of financial doom are scaremongering as well. If we do not have extensive debtors then it is extremely difficult/impossible to get into an admin situation and we won't be liquidated as leaders at the club have too much at stake. Cloth would have to be cut accordingly. At some point I can see a cash injection being required though depending on how long this goes on. 

8 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Hearts have screwed up big time here (and we await the statement about what they're going to do about it with bated breath) but to suggest that this support will put this club into Administration is patently ridiculous.

It's hard to take anything you say seriously after that.

22 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Hearts have screwed up big time here (and we await the statement about what they're going to do about it with bated breath) but to suggest that this support will put this club into Administration is patently ridiculous.

It's hard to take anything you say seriously after that.

I didn’t say they would, I merely highlighted what the impact of wholesale refunds would be.

25 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Our initial communication was misleading, that is the crux of this matter. 

Mismanagement at the club has left us uniquely exposed due to our demotion. Predictions of financial doom are scaremongering as well. If we do not have extensive debtors then it is extremely difficult/impossible to get into an admin situation and we won't be liquidated as leaders at the club have too much at stake. Cloth would have to be cut accordingly. At some point I can see a cash injection being required though depending on how long this goes on. 

Admin doesn’t necessarily mean debt as such,  although it could happen if we had insufficient cash to meet our liabilities ie. players wages.

Yes, Hearts screwed up with their statement, but there is moaning on here that would put Hibs.net to shame.

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

I didn’t say they would, I merely highlighted what the impact of wholesale refunds would be.

Admin doesn’t necessarily mean debt as such,  although it could happen if we had insufficient cash to meet our liabilities ie. players wages.

Yes, Hearts screwed up with their statement, but there is moaning on here that would put Hibs.net to shame.

Most of the "moaning" I see on this thread - 63 pages of it - is justified.

Hearts have screwed up with their statement all right - then compounded the error by saying nothing further on the subject other than cut & paste emails from junior Ticket Office staff.

11 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Lets be honest you are just another club shill who will defend the indefensible and patently doesn't understand the definition of accountancy administration. Don't worry there are a few of you about. 

It's time the club stood up and were honest with us but they can't even do that. So far McKinlay looks as effective at his job as Loic Damour. 

Just now, Jodami said:

Lets be honest you are just another club shill who will defend the indefensible and patently doesn't understand the definition of accountancy administration. Don't worry there are a few of you about. 

It's time the club stood up and were honest with us but they can't even do that. So far McKinlay looks as effective at his job as Loic Damour. 

If by Hearts shill, you mean a Hearts supporter who doesn’t want to see us financially disadvantaged then I’m guilty as charged.

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

If by Hearts shill, you mean a Hearts supporter who doesn’t want to see us financially disadvantaged then I’m guilty as charged.

No one wants to see Hearts financially disadvantaged but you surely don't want to see fellow Hearts supporters financially disadvantaged either?

Because that's the reality right now with some people.

10 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The irony is you fail to see the obvious fact that by taking a very short term head in the sand approach to this issue there is a real chance of long term financial damage. Tackling the issue head on could mitigate that significantly as because we are fans we are always inclined to behave generously towards the club. That goodwill is diminishing by the day. 

If you are appointing individuals to leadership roles then there is an expectation that they have the quality to come up with solutions to difficult issues that arise. Ignoring them is not a solution. 

32 minutes ago, iainmac said:

No one wants to see Hearts financially disadvantaged but you surely don't want to see fellow Hearts supporters financially disadvantaged either?

Because that's the reality right now with some people.

I have 3 x platinum STs, so technically i'd be one of those disadvantaged.

However, I know my ST is funding the club, I'm still getting to see the games and I'm saving a fortune on travel and beer... All I really care about is that we keep on winning.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I have 3 x platinum STs, so technically i'd be one of those disadvantaged.

However, I know my ST is funding the club, I'm still getting to see the games and I'm saving a fortune on travel and beer... All I really care about is that we keep on winning.

"I'm alright Jack".

8 minutes ago, iainmac said:

"I'm alright Jack".

The only circumstances I'd consider refunds for are those who've been furloughed or lost their job... But realistically those in that position couldn't afford the ticket even if they were physically there.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Farmer1 said:

I have sent an e-mail to the club saying that I want a response to my letter by Friday or I will be requesting a refund for both season tickets within our household

My intention was never to ask for a refund however the lack of the communication has been really poor that I now feel there is no option but to request one. 

I think the only sensible solution would be to offer either discounts on future STs or additional tickets to certain games, I understand it’s a difficult situation but the communication (or lack of) has been awful. 

If it had been any other company (airline, restaurant, theatre etc) there would be a lot more outrage. 

I’m not suggesting you do this but the club, by ignoring the issue, are risking people involving trading standards or some such body. They won’t give a **** about the state of the SPFL or football in general. They’ll apply the law and probably tell the club that they ought to be offering refunds, regardless of whether people want them. I’ll say it again, I think most people would leave their money in. But it has to be a conscious decision.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The only circumstances I'd consider refunds for are those who've been furloughed or lost their job... But realistically those in that position couldn't afford the ticket even if they were physically there.

Wrong. They’d only be there if there wasn’t covid and if there wasn’t covid, they probably wouldn’t be furloughed or have lost their jobs. You’ve got this the wrong way round.

fabienleclerq
6 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I asked about streaming in July, was told it would be games inside Tynecastle that fans could attend. So I bought my St. I'm not happy at all and the clubs silence is making it worse tbh, if they decide to take the attitude of feck them then I won't buy a St in the future tbh. 

9 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

That's very big of you - you should apply for a job with the club.