*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

SectionDJambo
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Delusions of grandeur due to their brief 1980's Alex Ferguson inspired purple patch. Now they're so irrelevant they're reduced to pretending they have a rivalry with Rangers.

A rivalry no one but them knows exists.

They drove Alex Smith out of his job shortly after he had almost won the league for them. From what I remember, it got quite nasty and sininster towards him before he left. 

The years after that should have shown them that things can get even worse. They got what they deserved, with years of mediocrity after Smith was forced out. 

As you say, the Ferguson years were an exception for them, not the norm. They've had delusions of grandeur ever since.

• Replies 63k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching the Sheep v Livi highlights.

The Sheep 'goal' looks over which makes it all the better 🤣

What's with the star behind the goals? Can't see if they have the 2nd one. Bad enough on their shirt. Tragic mob. 🤣

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

They drove Alex Smith out of his job shortly after he had almost won the league for them. From what I remember, it got quite nasty and sininster towards him before he left. 

The years after that should have shown them that things can get even worse. They got what they deserved, with years of mediocrity after Smith was forced out. 

As you say, the Ferguson years were an exception for them, not the norm. They've had delusions of grandeur ever since.

Take a look at their forum sometime. It's littered with all manner of poisonous bile aimed at many targets including McInnes, "hun *******"

They say McInnes should be booted and get someone in to take them to "the next level". What next level? Challenge the OF? That's ludicrous in the current financial environment of Scottish football.

Mcinnes gives them consistent 3rd and 4th place finishes and a crack at Europe. That IS their level. Their ceiling. They're more obsessed with Rangers than Rangers actual rivals Celtic are. It's bizarre.

What is it for Aberdeen...one LC win in the last 25 years? We'll soon be at a point where either Livingston or St Johnstone have won more in that spell. 🤣🤣

Just now, neilnunb said:

What is it for Aberdeen...one LC win in the last 25 years? We'll soon be at a point where either Livingston or St Johnstone have won more in that spell. 🤣🤣

They finished 9th in the league before McInnes came in. And were only saved from relegation in a season  prior to that by league reconstruction. McInnes already took them to the next level.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Haven't been there for years. Went twice in one season a few years back but the second time we walked so far away from the ground to find a pub that I just ended up staying in the pub and missing the game.

Ha that reminds me when I went to Tannadice we  got there early and went to the the pub and me and my mate got sloshed chatting a couple of birds up 🥴missed the game missed the bus back and then got nowhere with the birds , can’t even remember what the score in the game was 🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, One five said:

Ha that reminds me when I went to Tannadice we  got there early and went to the the pub and me and my mate got sloshed chatting a couple of birds up 🥴missed the game missed the bus back and then got nowhere with the birds , can’t even remember what the score in the game was 🤦‍♂️

My kind of day out 👍

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Take a look at their forum sometime. It's littered with all manner of poisonous bile aimed at many targets including McInnes, "hun *******"

They say McInnes should be booted and get someone in to take them to "the next level". What next level? Challenge the OF? That's ludicrous in the current financial environment of Scottish football.

Mcinnes gives them consistent 3rd and 4th place finishes and a crack at Europe. That IS their level. Their ceiling. They're more obsessed with Rangers than Rangers actual rivals Celtic are. It's bizarre.

The thing they forget about, from the Ferguson era, is that Rangers, although a powerful club, had nothing remotely like the financial clout that they had after the 85/86 season. Rangers started their financial domination, with Marlborough's money and Souness. Even Celtic took years to catch up after almost going bust trying.

Aberdeen and Dundee United enjoyed their main success before this financial explosion from Rangers. Ferguson didn't hang around long enough to take it on, so we'll never know how he would have performed in competing against this new phenomenon for Scottish football. Smith came close to beating the new Rangers to the title, but was then the subject of the Aberdeen mob's delusions.

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

The thing they forget about, from the Ferguson era, is that Rangers, although a powerful club, had nothing remotely like the financial clout that they had after the 85/86 season. Rangers started their financial domination, with Marlborough's money and Souness. Even Celtic took years to catch up after almost going bust trying.

Aberdeen and Dundee United enjoyed their main success before this financial explosion from Rangers. Ferguson didn't hang around long enough to take it on, so we'll never know how he would have performed in competing against this new phenomenon for Scottish football. Smith came close to beating the new Rangers to the title, but was then the subject of the Aberdeen mob's delusions.

I think another major factor and actually infinitely more major for non OF teams in Scotland was the Bosman ruling. Prior to Bosman players were pretty much owned by clubs.

When a contract expired all the club had to do was offer an improved contract. Say for example they were paying the player 200 quid a week. Well offer him 250 and it's done.

If he rejects it then they still own his registration. Even with the contract expired he could play nowhere else unless they allowed it. Anybody think the sheep could have kept the likes of Willie Miller and McLeish for an entire career in the post Bosman era?

Exactly the same thing as happened with  Ryan Jack and now Scott Wright would have happened. Bosman was a defining massively detrimental ruling for all but the wealthiest clubs in Scotland and everywhere else. 

The pattern with Aberdeen is failing every time they are close to the next level. In this case Champions League for 2nd place. 

But it is curious. It's not clear why that happens. Except that their set up is good for beating lesser teams consistently. Any time someone plays well against them they struggle badly. 

I think that's a failing in how McInnes sets team up. Another manager might do better in these tougher games. But would need to try to keep the consistency.

SectionDJambo
48 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think another major factor and actually infinitely more major for non OF teams in Scotland was the Bosman ruling. Prior to Bosman players were pretty much owned by clubs.

When a contract expired all the club had to do was offer an improved contract. Say for example they were paying the player 200 quid a week. Well offer him 250 and it's done.

If he rejects it then they still own his registration. Even with the contract expired he could play nowhere else unless they allowed it. Anybody think the sheep could have kept the likes of Willie Miller and McLeish for an entire career in the post Bosman era?

Exactly the same thing as happened with  Ryan Jack and now Scott Wright would have happened. Bosman was a defining massively detrimental ruling for all but the wealthiest clubs in Scotland and everywhere else. 

You make a good point.

Bosman gave the power to the players, but it was long overdue. Managers, like Jim McLean, signed young boys up on long contracts and then held onto them, holding back ambitious players in many cases. McLean had major fall outs with top players, Duncan Ferguson being one of them. It could be argued that this prevented bigger clubs “tapping” talent from smaller clubs, but that didn’t always work either. 
In some respects it should have swung both ways for clubs. Able to get good players in for no transfer fee, as well as lose some. 
The trouble is that it’s gone too far in favour of players now.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Unless thery get substantial investment, that's where they will be at best. And with a new stadium to finance...not going to happen.

They are living off the glories of a relatively short period where they had one of the best managers around and it has become their benchmark for success. A bit like Forest have down south.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Unless thery get substantial investment, that's where they will be at best. And with a new stadium to finance...not going to happen.

They are living off the glories of a relatively short period where they had one of the best managers around and it has become their benchmark for success. A bit like Forest have down south.

Their supporters still think that they are a force to be reckoned with. Still wallowing in the glories of yesteryear while failing to grasp just how enfeebled their club has become.  I still reckon if Aberdeen lose on Saturday the McInnes is toast. 

5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Their supporters still think that they are a force to be reckoned with. Still wallowing in the glories of yesteryear while failing to grasp just how enfeebled their club has become.  I still reckon if Aberdeen lose on Saturday the McInnes is toast. 

I hope they do force McInnes out because I think it may damage them which can only help Hearts.

If he goes it will be his own decision. The board wont fire him that's for sure. They know he has taken them to their ceiling and no one else could do any better than he has. But someone else could do a lot worse.

I see no way any team in Scotland can compete with the OF at this time. They are now further ahead than they have ever been and looking good to move even further ahead with no obvious way to change that. 

42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The pattern with Aberdeen is failing every time they are close to the next level. In this case Champions League for 2nd place. 

But it is curious. It's not clear why that happens. Except that their set up is good for beating lesser teams consistently. Any time someone plays well against them they struggle badly. 

I think that's a failing in how McInnes sets team up. Another manager might do better in these tougher games. But would need to try to keep the consistency.

I think they played more attractive football in his earlier seasons when he had at least some level of actual class at his disposal. All of which has been gradually sold off leaving McInnes with a constant rebuilding job season upon season.

The class is never replaced with equivalent quality. You can't get that quality in their market which is the same as everybody else OF aside. Pretty much League 1 and 2 freebies.

McInnes job is to get them that 3rd and 4th place finish in any way he can. With the relative journeymen he has ended up with he's consistently doing it in perhaps the only way he can. Their crowd as everyone knows simply don't seem to grasp reality.

It doesn't matter who they get in to manage he will do no better than McInnes has in terms of league finishes. And as I previously mentioned someone else could in fact do a lot worse than he has.

45 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I hope they do force McInnes out because I think it may damage them which can only help Hearts.

If he goes it will be his own decision. The board wont fire him that's for sure. They know he has taken them to their ceiling and no one else could do any better than he has. But someone else could do a lot worse.

I see no way any team in Scotland can compete with the OF at this time. They are now further ahead than they have ever been and looking good to move even further ahead with no obvious way to change that. 

The anti Hun backlash is in full flow up there.  McInnes has never been accepted by a large swathe of their support. Tolerated while they were doing reasonably well.  There certainly seems to be something wrong there given the players and the squad they have. Saturday is going to be pivotal for McInnes.  If he goes and they don’t get their next appointment spot on the decline will continue. Wonder if Jack Ross might be a target. 

9 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The anti Hun backlash is in full flow up there.  McInnes has never been accepted by a large swathe of their support. Tolerated while they were doing reasonably well.  There certainly seems to be something wrong there given the players and the squad they have. Saturday is going to be pivotal for McInnes.  If he goes and they don’t get their next appointment spot on the decline will continue. Wonder if Jack Ross might be a target. 

Like him or loathe him, McInnes has done particularly well in getting Aberdeen to perform away from home. They regularly beat non-OF sides away from Pittodrie. That's in stark contrast to our form away from Tynecastle, which is embarrassingly abysmal. Mind you, I think McInnes did initially benefit from some shrewd buying by Craig Brown, who was boss before him. For example, it was Brown who took Niall McGinn and Johnny Hayes to Aberdeen, two of the most important players they've had in recent times.

10 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Like him or loathe him, McInnes has done particularly well in getting Aberdeen to perform away from home. They regularly beat non-OF sides away from Pittodrie. That's in stark contrast to our form away from Tynecastle, which is embarrassingly abysmal. Mind you, I think McInnes did initially benefit from some shrewd buying by Craig Brown, who was boss before him. For example, it was Brown who took Niall McGinn and Johnny Hayes to Aberdeen, two of the most important players they've had in recent times.

I’d agree with that. There’s an expectation of better up there and always a belief that they are about to upset the Old Firm Apple cart.  The daft thing is that this season with Celtics abject season they might have had a real chance. 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Imaging owning up to missing out on a Joe McBride from a couple of Dundee birds. 

:wtf:

Ha , it was worse they where weegies🤦‍♂️

Edited by One five

Roberts on the bench for Motherwell tonight.   I noticed they have quite afew forwards but possibly none too many left footed.   4-3-3 seems to be their main formation currently so he might get a better game as a forward rather than a winger. 

Hope he scores to be honest.  Or does something special. 

By the sounds of it he will get a game later as  Tony Watt is missing chances on the left. 

Edited by HMFC01

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Ross county one null down

I for one hope it’s them that go down 

Chick Young apparently said Celtic were missing a trick by not appointing Yogi Hughes 🤣

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Aberdeen's bottle has crashed so many times under McInnes. Every time they get close in the league or are in a cup semi or final..... CRASH! One LC is an incredibly poor return for the money they've spent under him and the advantages they've had with us, Hibs, Rangers in disarray for a number of seasons.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Chick Young apparently said Celtic were missing a trick by not appointing Yogi Hughes 🤣

Are you serious 🧐 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Begging for Roberts to come on and score :)

On Mcinnes don't think Aberdeen will pay him off in current climate or fancy forking out for a replacement. 

He may walk at the end of the season. 

Mate summed him up, came in as a fit vibrant young man and will leave as a fat stale middle aged man. 

Feeling Derek's pain there actually 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Dundee United dropping like a stone now,  conceding goals easily. 

Shame only 2 can finish 11th and 12th

9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Motherwell bench fairly strong.  Dundee United bench iam not seeing any impact players.   5 or 6-0 I reckon.   United coming back abit but I think they will tire. 

Is that Jock Brown doing the Motherwell v United game sponsored by James Chapman butchers

Edited by sadj

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

It would be absolutely marvellous if we passed Scumdee United on the way up.

I think motherwell and St Johnstone will pass them, then it's upto killie and Hamilton.    Hamilton and County seem nailed on for relegation going by their goals conceded. 

avhudtheteeshirt
12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Only one, I think Ross County has booked last spot already!!!!

Oh for the other 8 games last season, they would have been down instead of us!!!!!

Ross County definitely heading down. What a lovely thought. 
Id wager Dundee Utd will end up in the play offs as well. Would be a perfect scenario

Hoping for a draw tonight with Raith v Dunfermline 

Edited by 1971fozzy

24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Chick would love that. More trophies for Rangers. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, sadj said:

Just saw Livi’s opener from last night 😂😂

Looked like Captain Joe was clapping for Captain Tom 24 hours early 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, sadj said:

What lunatic said that

Your usual Radio Scotland tubes banging it out. Think I recall Dick Gordon putting it out there as one of those please agree with me chums type things 

kingantti1874

Honestly if Ross County go down i would absolutely contribute to an airplane banner with 

“Take Your Medicine Roy” on it .

a mouthy old *****

Guest ToqueJambo

Only RC have scored fewer goals (one fewer) than D Utd and £5m man Shankland. They could easily go down with RC, which would be pretty funny.

Hamilton  :facepalm:

😀.    

Motherwell almost the same.   Throwing chances, giving d. utd chances. Madness. 

Edited by HMFC01