Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

Niemi’s gloves
53 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Conor Smith away to Arbroath on loan is now 3 out and one (Halliday) in. Must mean at least 1 or 2 more incoming. 

“Might“  mean more incoming. Actually four on loan if you include Sean Ward to Gala. But all youngsters and it was always likely that we’d see such loans. I think “one out, one in” is more about established first team squad players. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

18 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s 5’8”,and wasn’t great in the friendlies he played. 

I have watched him for a few years and I dont doubt he has good technical ability but he has always played as a centre back and has struggled to assert himself.  I dont understand the hype about the boy as he will never make it as a "first pick" Centre Back for Hearts.  Still watching his development with interest however as he has hung about a fair few years.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Disco Ball said:

I have watched him for a few years and I dont doubt he has good technical ability but he has always played as a centre back and has struggled to assert himself.  I dont understand the hype about the boy as he will never make it as a "first pick" Centre Back for Hearts.  Still watching his development with interest however as he has hung about a fair few years.

Agreed, maybe a FB or CM. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

Looking at those options...

Ginnelly/Walker.                               Roberts/Frear. 

Naismith/Wighton.      Walker/Henderson.

I think Moore, Henderson, McDonald will only get their game if they are very impressive in training, reserve games and coming off the bench

Not sure it matter much who we would rather see, I think they will need to be firing on all cylinder to squeeze into that group, so I'm not too worried about which gets the nod, they will need to have earned their place, unlike previous seasons where Morrison, Moore or Mulraney have been able to walk into the team due to lack of other vaible alternatives.

No reserve games this season and with the other clubs voting to only have three subs in the Championship, they’re unlikely to be getting any game time with 20 odd experienced players in the squad. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

I dunno what people's thoughts are on Jamie Brandon.

(loaded question) but due to the lack of Centerhalfs, having the option to play a back 3 and with CB probably being M. Smith's best position, do we need a RB? 

7 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Callum Paterson completed his move to Shefield Weds. Hopefully for a decent fee so we get some sell on.

Rumour the fee was 500k

Berra than you
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

(loaded question) but due to the lack of Centerhalfs, having the option to play a back 3 and with CB probably being M. Smith's best position, do we need a RB? 

I think Brandon is probably fine at this level. I will worry about him playing against the better teams in this league and cup games though. He's got good attacking threat but is one of the most rash defenders I have seen. Always looks likely for a card.

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I reckon against some of these teams we can go with a back three and play Ginelly and Frear out wide, one of the midfielders sitting should be ample cover

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I suggested the same the other day. Notwithstanding that we've yet to see Popescu, I'd say Smith is arguably our best centre-back. Given we'll be in the Championship, an attack-minded right-back would also be quite handy, and that's not the strongest side of Smith's game. I don't think Brandon is good enough defensively, even for the Championship, to be that player.

It may be a luxury we can't afford just now, but it wouldn't be the worst move.

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

It's quite likely that Halliday will play ahead of Lee, but Irving is likely to be a midfield first-pick, at least if Neilson wants to play football.

Robbie tell you all that aye?

I’m not saying Halliday is a bad signing, but where are we getting the idea that he’ll boss our midfield? 

Halliday has barely played in midfield in around 4 years. Brings a bit of bite and tenacity to the team and will definitely be useful, but I don’t see him as the outstanding signing that some are hailing him to be. 

Hopefully I’m proven wrong and he’s immense but I see him as no more than an “improving the squad” signing and, whilst useful, don’t think he is massively better than our current midfielders. 

I never liked him at Rangers but the same can be said for Naismith and Lafferty. One thing you get when you sign an ex OF player is that there mentality is different, they have it installed in you to go out and win. He might not be David Beckham, but tell you what he will give 100% on the park and get his team mates going. Bar one or two in the squad we have become such a soft touch and rolled over. Not going to happen if we have players like Halliday. 

I think Halliday is a decent signing , not so sure he’s an improvement on Clare as some think but certainly better than the others he’s been compared to.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Barack said:

I think Halliday is/was a bit of a dick. I also think/ thought that about Naismith, Lafferty & McCulloch.

Niggly arseholes. But all want to win, and have the drive to keep standards up and push their team-mates. I'll take Halliday in midfield against Hibs, all day long. 

Irving will get chances. Lee will be rested and Haring will be used sparingly. Halliday will do just fine. 

To say though we'll only play football based on Andy's ability to pass a ball, is disingenuous to 

Lee firstly. Secondly it doesn't say much for the three winger's, Jamie Walker & Naismith. If that's the standard we're basing our ability on, to put away the likes of Alloa & Morton on a weekly basis now, does it.

Good summary. 

I was going to mention Lee, if anything he's the best passer in the team, passing isn't one of his issues, speed and bite are. 

It's almost if we signed halliday to compliment him and others such as walker, Naismith Haring and even Irving. 

Almost like we are building a balanced team. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Our midfield was absolute honking..

AI has potential, I’m FAR from convinced he’s the man to boss the midfield and get us out of the championship.  A very tidy player.. he has lots to prove

if Haring comes back then that’s a massive boost.. but as I said earlier, Andy Halliday is the signing of the summer 

A middle 3 of Haring, Lee and Halliday is a great mix. 

Irving to come in as well. 

I'm not convinced of Irving, imo he'll Likley be a bog standard player, not bad but not great as some seem to think. 

Hopefully he can become as Good as some  think he can be, be great for us and the lad. 

We'll also be able to be fluid from a back 3 to back 4 if need be. 

Halliday would be in the first 11 of any team outside the of. 

Glad he hates Green things and chose us over hibs. 

Generally you can tell by other fans reactions, my rangers family and Aberdeen / hibs mates all said they were surprised he signed for us and agreed he was a good signing, similiar reaction Boyce got when we got him Tbh. 

Doesn't happen much. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
49 minutes ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

I’m not saying Halliday is a bad signing, but where are we getting the idea that he’ll boss our midfield? 

Halliday has barely played in midfield in around 4 years. Brings a bit of bite and tenacity to the team and will definitely be useful, but I don’t see him as the outstanding signing that some are hailing him to be. 

Hopefully I’m proven wrong and he’s immense but I see him as no more than an “improving the squad” signing and, whilst useful, don’t think he is massively better than our current midfielders. 

He’ll be fine in the league we’re in but I’m pleased we haven’t gone for a longer contract because he’ll have a limited shelf-life.

This season should be a doddle, assuming it finishes. The bigger challenge for the club is to find us a strategy to compete again at the top end of the Premiership.

53 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I like him - he impressed when he first broke through, but since that first injury has never had a proper run of games. I think, with a decent run in the side, he could prove to be a really good player. However, that’s still a bit of a gamble and one we may not take given the reliability of Smith in the same position and Brandon certainly should not be shoehorned in for the sake of it.
Brandon is good at getting forward, links well with others and can supply decent balls into the box, so could play the RWB role well, if we are going with a back 3. I also think he could do a job as part of a back 3,  if necessary.
At the moment, to me, he is the one who sits on the bench providing defensive cover. He will get opportunities this season and needs to take them, otherwise he will end up at the likes of Livi/Hamilton where he will get the luxury of more chances. If he wants to be Hearts player or go even further with his career, he must prove it this season. 

17 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

I like him - he impressed when he first broke through, but since that first injury has never had a proper run of games. I think, with a decent run in the side, he could prove to be a really good player. However, that’s still a bit of a gamble and one we may not take given the reliability of Smith in the same position and Brandon certainly should not be shoehorned in for the sake of it.
Brandon is good at getting forward, links well with others and can supply decent balls into the box, so could play the RWB role well, if we are going with a back 3. I also think he could do a job as part of a back 3,  if necessary.
At the moment, to me, he is the one who sits on the bench providing defensive cover. He will get opportunities this season and needs to take them, otherwise he will end up at the likes of Livi/Hamilton where he will get the luxury of more chances. If he wants to be Hearts player or go even further with his career, he must prove it this season. 

Would agree with that last part, Brandon and Moore are both 22 now (a year younger than Wighton and Ginnelly) and can barely be referred to as youngsters anymore. If they aren't able to contribute now that we're in the Championship then I think both should be let go 

34 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Would agree with that last part, Brandon and Moore are both 22 now (a year younger than Wighton and Ginnelly) and can barely be referred to as youngsters anymore. If they aren't able to contribute now that we're in the Championship then I think both should be let go 

They will cope in the championship id get rid after promotion 

2 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I suggested the same the other day. Notwithstanding that we've yet to see Popescu, I'd say Smith is arguably our best centre-back. Given we'll be in the Championship, an attack-minded right-back would also be quite handy, and that's not the strongest side of Smith's game. I don't think Brandon is good enough defensively, even for the Championship, to be that player.

It may be a luxury we can't afford just now, but it wouldn't be the worst move.

Brandon will be fine for the Championship. Smith should be at right back and only used as a centre half in emergencies. Brandon is an able back-up if needed. I remember when he first came in the team under Cathro, he was pretty solid and sometimes even one of our better players on the day. Then he got injured and was out for a long time. When he was available again, Levein tinkered with the team too much and even played him at left-back. He lacked confidence for a while and started to look a bit like he was originally under Stendel. He may not be good enough looking ahead to the Premier next season but he'll be fine for now. We had a chance to bring one of the best right backs in the country to Hearts a few weeks ago but didn't. O'Donnell is exactly the type we need but in typical Hearts fashion we let no-mark rivals like Motherwell get him instead. Smith and Brandon will have to do for now.

Allan Campbell has supposedly turned down a new contract from Motherwell and has notified them he will not be signing on.

Motherwell are due 550k compensation if he signs for a club in Scotland. He's be worth the fee IMO.

With the likelihood of us getting promoted high I'd like to think we will be in chase for his signature come January. Would be a remarkable signing and on top that we'd be getting another one over the vermin.

21 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Allan Campbell has supposedly turned down a new contract from Motherwell and has notified them he will not be signing on.

Motherwell are due 550k compensation if he signs for a club in Scotland. He's be worth the fee IMO.

With the likelihood of us getting promoted high I'd like to think we will be in chase for his signature come January. Would be a remarkable signing and on top that we'd be getting another one over the vermin.

I think Hibs are after him although not sure if they have that sort of money to spend.

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think Hibs are after him although not sure if they have that sort of money to spend.

They'll ask the government for a grant to sign him

3 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Good footballing brain. Reads the game well which makes up for his lack of height. Stick him behind a big centre half problem solved. 

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Our midfield was absolute honking..

AI has potential, I’m FAR from convinced he’s the man to boss the midfield and get us out of the championship.  A very tidy player.. he has lots to prove

if Haring comes back then that’s a massive boost.. but as I said earlier, Andy Halliday is the signing of the summer 

Totally in agreement with this. Irving will string together some nice passes and stuff but the laddie is built like a Jenny Long Legs and really needs to try and bulk up a bit. Was sitting near him at a game recently and honestly couldn't believe the size of him. If I hadn't known who he was, seeing him sitting there in his tracksuit I'd have thought he was one of the ball boys and that he was about 14 years old. 

Anyway, I've been wanting us to sign Halliday since January when we could have got him on a pre-contract. People were probably fed up with me bringing him up. Also said a couple of weeks ago that he'd be the signing of the window if we got him, and was shot down by a number of posters who have now changed their tunes now that he's been seen in the jersey. 

Fantastic signing IMO. As long as we're allowed into the ground at some point this season I think the fans will absolutely love him. He gets caught up in an atmosphere, he gets in folk's faces, he puts in the effort, and best of all he does exactly what I want of our man in the middle, and that's to get firmly stuck in. I think by the end of the season we'll all be on here begging that he signs for another year. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Phil D. Corners
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Totally in agreement with this. Irving will string together some nice passes and stuff but the laddie is built like a Jenny Long Legs and really needs to try and bulk up a bit. Was sitting near him at a game recently and honestly couldn't believe the size of him. If I hadn't known who he was, I'd have thought he was about 14 years old. 

Anyway, I've been wanting us to sign Halliday since January when we could have got him on a pre-contract. People were probably fed up with me bringing him up. Also said a couple of weeks ago that he'd be the signing of the window if we got him, and was shot down by a number of posters who have now changed their tunes now that he's been seen in the jersey. 

Fantastic signing IMO. As long as we're allowed into the ground at some point this season I think the fans will absolutely love him. He gets caught up in an atmosphere, he gets in folk's faces, he puts in the effort, and best of all he does exactly what I want of our man in the middle, and that's to get firmly stuck in. I think by the end of the season we'll all be on here begging that he signs for another year. 

I actually thought Irving had bulked up a bit this summer. 

17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Totally in agreement with this. Irving will string together some nice passes and stuff but the laddie is built like a Jenny Long Legs and really needs to try and bulk up a bit. Was sitting near him at a game recently and honestly couldn't believe the size of him. If I hadn't known who he was, seeing him sitting there in his tracksuit I'd have thought he was one of the ball boys and that he was about 14 years old. 

Irving is a great passer of the ball and seems to read the game well. As long as he can take getting boofed about a bit and we stick a tough guy in as his midfield partner I think he could be an excellent player for us. 

Agree about Halliday, could be a great signing and I’m delighted we’ve signed him. 

Edit: Hearts fans love a player with determination and passion. Halliday bringing that will instantly bring his detractors on side. 

Edited by GinRummy

Dr Ian Malcolm

Baffled at the suggestion Irving needs to bulk up. Of all the youngsters, he's easily the one that's coped the best with the physical side of things. They don't need to be built like Uche.

12 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Baffled at the suggestion Irving needs to bulk up. Of all the youngsters, he's easily the one that's coped the best with the physical side of things. They don't need to be built like Uche.

Yeah. His physique looks pretty decent for is age.

Classy player. Just needs to force himself a bit more into games but I’m sure that will come.

Agree with most that Halliday will be a very useful player pLayer for us.

Now, a strong pacey left back please !

Hibs will try and get him on a similar deal to the one which they managed to get John McGinn from St Mirren.....low offer with the promise of a big chunk of any sell-on fee.

18 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Hibs will try and get him on a similar deal to the one which they managed to get John McGinn from St Mirren.....low offer with the promise of a big chunk of any sell-on fee.

Hibs got McGinn cheap as they paid of the compensation due to McGinn as a result of Stephen Thompson injuring him with a flag pole

1 hour ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I actually thought Irving had bulked up a bit this summer. 

hope so mate, no question really on his ability. But Scottish football can be a fight.. especially in the championship. He needs to show he can tough it out.. and he needs to stand out more than he has done 

4 minutes ago, gaza_1986 said:

Hibs got McGinn cheap as they paid of the compensation due to McGinn as a result of Stephen Thompson injuring him with a flag pole

Surely St Mirren could have just held out for the full compo and paid it off directly ?

I think that’s a bit of an urban myth tbh. 

59 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Agree his physisique is fine enough to cope at this level.   I thought he was just rubbish at defending last season and before that.  Maybe he's better now though I don't know. 

41 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Surely St Mirren could have just held out for the full compo and paid it off directly ?

I think that’s a bit of an urban myth tbh. 

It was St Mirren paying compo to McGinn. 

Could well be a myth 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 hours ago, Robdawg said:

Don’t rate Henderson at all. Rather see McDonald getting a chance over him 

One final effort from Henderson will see him stay for the season.

Fastest at the club over 20 and 60m. Robbie wants pace. Just one wee thing needed and he won’t be loaned out.

4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Looking at American striker possibly. Bradford Jamieson

I like that Wiki says he's called Bradford Jamieson the fourth. On that basis I'm fully on board.

4 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Good footballing brain. Reads the game well which makes up for his lack of height. Stick him behind a big centre half problem solved. 

Why does his online statistics say he as 183 cm in height (6ft ) when obviously to everyone who sees him play ... he isnt

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

One final effort from Henderson will see him stay for the season.

Fastest at the club over 20 and 60m. Robbie wants pace. Just one wee thing needed and he won’t be loaned out.

I’ve never seen him show his pace in a first team game.

13 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Why does his online statistics say he as 183 cm in height (6ft ) when obviously to everyone who sees him play ... he isnt

Platform boots. 😁

13 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Platform boots. 😁