Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

👍

Can't say I've watched him with much interest in the past.  On the face of it he's a higher calibre than most of our other signings this summer.

Hope Irving gets plenty of game time too, as long as he's working hard - really like the look of him.

Yeah he didn’t stand out against us. Let’s hope everyone else is right, and Irving continues to develop. 

34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah he didn’t stand out against us. Let’s hope everyone else is right, and Irving continues to develop. 

Maybe you could view Halliday as a less impressive & cheaper signing than Damour or Whelan (and I mean on paper before anyone chokes on their ovaltine!).

but Sod’s law will probably see us watching Halliday put in better consistent performances.

FWIW at the back end of last season I thought Irving (partic in home games) made us tick - some of his passing was excellent. Chipped in with a couple of goals too I think? Defo one for the future if he stays on that trajectory.

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Cochrane in his first season was in the team on merit (same with McDonald.) Its clear though he hasn't developed as we would like. As you say, taking Cochrane as an example, he showed at 16 he had both the technical ability and the intelligence that was above what we had produced before. So its clear something has gone wrong with how we have developed him since. So its crucial we figure out how to bring these players through properly and develop them. As you say it might not be just down to the club that things work out.

I do think Ann's words a few weeks back about getting the process from Academy graduate to first team working, interesting and if we get that right then academy can work well for us.

Maybe we are doing things correctly and these players are just peaking early.  Sometimes these players are pushed so much in the pre teen years by overbearing parents that they are effectively burnt out at 16.  This happens to so many promising talents

Heart of Darkness
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Signing of the summer imo.. strengthens an area where we are absolutely pony if Haring not fit.. bring the right attitude, winner, will demand effort from those around him and versatile. 

EXACTLY the sort of player we have sorely lacked since Ian Black left.

Sick of watching a team of nice guys and pussies .

Definitely now have more coaches and players with a fighting & never back off attitude. 🤜💥

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’re only playing 27 games, with 23 experienced pros. Hopefully once the league is won some will get a wee run of games. 

All in we could be playing 40-50 odd games across 5 competitions. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wow he’s played for Rangers and in the Championship hahahahaha big ****ing deal. I never thought you had any idea on how to judge a player and your failure to see that Irving has fantastic vision, and can play the pass too, is a rarity for a Scottish player. The boy has a big future ahead of him, if unlike a lot of the youngsters we’ve produced recently he’s coached well and given the chance. 

Time will tell, hopefully he does. 

5 hours ago, Finlay James said:

That's an extremely black and white view to have whereas youth development is not as simple or an exact science.  You're right that it's not consistently reeling out future stars just yet but believe me, if you go along and watch the coaching and youth teams, you will see the work being done will pay dividends

I'd count only Hickey and Irving as "successful" graduates from the Academy in the sense that they have established themselves as first team players. That's like 2 players in what, 5 or 6 years? 

It doesn't seem economically viable for us to put so much emphasis on our Academy as our main output of first team players if the players we're producing are only good enough for clubs in the lower leagues. 

Perhaps we are hanging on to them too long? Maybe we need to start thinning out the herd at 18, instead of 20-21 and speed up the process. Only the best making it beyond that age. 🤷

I hope you are correct but it seems like it isn't benefiting us in the way it probably should be.

Last big para from me for anyone interested, told we will have at least 2 more in before the end of the window. A left back and a another attacking option, if a centre back becomes available then we may add another on a year deal. Outgoings still looking to move white out, damour has offers now a few loan offers for him too which may be looked into it we can’t get him gone permanent. We have a list of 5/6 players who we feel would be big signings for us the budget can be increased if they become available. Hoping for a big week, enjoy guys 👍🏻🇱🇻

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

Maybe you could view Halliday as a less impressive & cheaper signing than Damour or Whelan (and I mean on paper before anyone chokes on their ovaltine!).

but Sod’s law will probably see us watching Halliday put in better consistent performances.

FWIW at the back end of last season I thought Irving (partic in home games) made us tick - some of his passing was excellent. Chipped in with a couple of goals too I think? Defo one for the future if he stays on that trajectory.

He’s obviously good enough to do well in the league we are in. 
Irving was unlucky to play in a poor team last year, I see him opening up a few defences with his passing and better movement ahead. Let’s hope he keeps progressing, I love midfielders that not only see the pass but make it, we’ve not had many recently. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Last big para from me for anyone interested, told we will have at least 2 more in before the end of the window. A left back and a another attacking option, if a centre back becomes available then we may add another on a year deal. Outgoings still looking to move white out, damour has offers now a few loan offers for him too which may be looked into it we can’t get him gone permanent. We have a list of 5/6 players who we feel would be big signings for us the budget can be increased if they become available. Hoping for a big week, enjoy guys 👍🏻🇱🇻

Cheers for the info.

The Sheep have placed a bid for Allan Campbell and are set to offer kyle Magennis a preseason contract in January. Both ages with Ferguson and McCrorie and all four play together in the same Scotland youth team.

The model of that club is to sign the best youngsters in Scotland and sell them on for a profit while obviously benefitting from their abilities while they are at the club. On top of that they are making a decent profit through the sale of these youngsters (McKenna and potentially now Cosgrove) allowing them to turn up the pace and financial muscle for recruitment. They might after several years of adopting this model be able to pay for their new shiny stadium.

Motherwell in January sold James Scott (I believe thats his name) to Hull City for 1.5 million, Turnbull to Celtic for 3.5 million and now potentially Allan Campbell to Aberdeen for 400-600k. They have profited nearly 6 million in the last 8 months. As a result the club is now entirely out of debt and is generating a profit for the first time in 20 odd years. They've made a large number of signings due to their new found financial position. As many of you will know its also worth highlighting they are a fan owned club. 

Hearts can do this too and unlike the vermin (in fairness they recently signed Nisbett) we can compete and beat them to the likes of Allan Campbell etc. Selling youth players like Hickey for 1.5 million plus is something we should be aiming to achieve on a near annual basis. Even Celtic have been doing this but on a larger scale. They must have one of the best scouting networks in the world when you look at the players they appear to unearth. 

I'd like to see us promote youth into the first team alongside paying transfer fees of 200-400k on decent youth prospects who have a good sell on potential. I much prefer it to signing the utter guff we have done these past few years: Damour, White, Whelan etc. Target promising youth prospects and sell them on. Rinse and repeat. Just my opinion. 

Edited by Gorillajam

7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'd count only Hickey and Irving as "successful" graduates from the Academy in the sense that they have established themselves as first team players. That's like 2 players in what, 5 or 6 years? 

It doesn't seem economically viable for us to put so much emphasis on our Academy as our main output of first team players if the players we're producing are only good enough for clubs in the lower leagues. 

Perhaps we are hanging on to them too long? Maybe we need to start thinning out the herd at 18, instead of 20-21 and speed up the process. Only the best making it beyond that age. 🤷

I hope you are correct but it seems like it isn't benefiting us in the way it probably should be.

It's an interesting topic, I was reading Bergkamp talking about this recently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54299158

What I have in mind is a role that worked for me at Ajax, which was a lot like the one I had as a player - a little bit in between the lines. I wasn't really a striker or a midfielder, but in between.

That's how I see myself as a coach as well. I like to be involved with the first team but I think my power, my strength, is to bring players from the youth to the first team.

Sometimes the youth team and first team can be like two islands. What I am talking about doing is like a bridging role between them, but I realise I'd have to have results as well. I wouldn't be working for the sake of it; just to go to work and come home again. I'd like a challenge and to be really responsible for developing players and bringing them through.

I like that pressure. I had success doing it at Ajax - where I wasn't an assistant or a second assistant, I was on the training pitch - and I am a big believer that it would work with the other big clubs in Europe as well. I am actually surprised more of them don't do it already. You can see a lot of them have got strong youth systems and everything good is in place. It's just about what happens next.

It is such a big advantage if you can develop your own players because, unlike most players you buy, they don't have to adjust to a new club or new country. They are already comfortable and they are available whenever you need them.

Edited by Smithee

Leveins Battalion
4 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

The Sheep have placed a bid for Allan Campbell and are set to offer kyle Magennis a preseason contract in January. Both ages with Ferguson and McCrorie and all four play together in the same Scotland youth team.

The model of that club is to sign the best youngsters in Scotland and sell them on for a profit while obviously benefitting from their abilities while they are at the club. On top of that they are making a decent profit through the sale of these youngsters (McKenna and potentially now Cosgrove) allowing them to turn up the pace and financial muscle for recruitment. They might after several years of adopting this model be able to pay for their new shiny stadium.

Motherwell in January sold James Scott (I believe thats his name) to Hull City for 1.5 million, Turnbull to Celtic for 3.5 million and now potentially Allan Campbell to Aberdeen for 400-600k. They have profited nearly 6 million in the last 8 months. As a result the club is now entirely out of debt and is generating a profit for the first time in 20 odd years. They've made a large number of signings due to their new found financial position. As many of you will know its also worth highlighting they are a fan owned club. 

Hearts can do this too and unlike the vermin (in fairness they recently signed Nisbett) we can compete and beat them to the likes of Allan Campbell etc. Selling youth players like Hickey for 1.5 million plus is something we should be aiming to achieve on a near annual basis. Even Celtic have been doing this but on a larger scale. They must have one of the best scouting networks in the world when you look at the players they appear to unearth. 

I'd like to see us promote youth into the first team alongside paying transfer fees of 200-400k on decent youth prospects who have a good sell on potential. I much prefer it to signing the utter guff we have done these past few years: Damour, White, Whelan etc. Target promising youth prospects and sell them on. Rinse and repeat. Just my opinion. 

This is exactly what we will do.

Hard to do it just now though.

It's been said in interviews before that the academy was in tatters 4/5 years ago and it's only really now they players will start to come through and hopefully make an impact on first team

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s obviously good enough to do well in the league we are in. 
Irving was unlucky to play in a poor team last year, I see him opening up a few defences with his passing and better movement ahead. Let’s hope he keeps progressing, I love midfielders that not only see the pass but make it, we’ve not had many recently. 

Agree

28 minutes ago, bazman said:

It's been said in interviews before that the academy was in tatters 4/5 years ago and it's only really now they players will start to come through and hopefully make an impact on first team

That's been said by Levein who spent over £4m partly on his friends businesses and a jobs for a number of his cronies.

Yet the players brought through by the supposedly decimated youth system to the first team prior - Paterson, Walker, Nicholson, Holt, Robinson etc.  Levein's academy (Hickey apart) has been bringing through players no better than the second string of the previous group (King, Mackay etc).

6 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

We DONT have to sell players, ambitious fans are giving their money to ensure we are debt free and have money in the bank. Why do people have to still harp on about only bringing players through to sell them ? The next step up from a selling club is to build teams that can win things which is what we should/will be doing, fine attract the best young players with the promise of letting them move on if they wish but the management aim will be to build the team that will win. Time for an element of our support to drop the looser mentality and become ambitious or stay put in the championship when we move on up.

Gordon 

Smith.            Halkett.         Popescu. 

Halliday/Lee.              Irving/Haring. 

Ginnelly/Walker.                               Roberts/Frear. 

Naismith/Wighton.      Walker/Henderson. 

Boyce. 

4 minutes ago, alanbauld said:

We DONT have to sell players, ambitious fans are giving their money to ensure we are debt free and have money in the bank. Why do people have to still harp on about only bringing players through to sell them ? The next step up from a selling club is to build teams that can win things which is what we should/will be doing, fine attract the best young players with the promise of letting them move on if they wish but the management aim will be to build the team that will win. Time for an element of our support to drop the looser mentality and become ambitious or stay put in the championship when we move on up.

Don't wish to disagree with the valid points you make here. However, we do need to sell players, Why?....because of our tinpot, backwater  Scottish leagues

Ambitious footballers who show any decent talent will leave clubs to go South or abroad simply for more money, or to play in a better standard of football.
Bosman made sure that clubs can't risk contracts running down, which as we know effectively penalises employers not the employee!

A good business model will always ensure that clubs in Scotland will not allow the risk of decent players running down a contract effectively leaving them empty handed.

The days of Gary Mackay, David Narey, Paul Heggerty, Willie Miller John Greig and Billy McNeil playing over 500 club games for their respective clubs up here in Scotland are now as rare as hens teeth. 

This might go against the grain but I want the best team we can put together, on the park.

Is Halliday better than Irving? The answer is yes.

If Irving, or any other youngster want a game then show it. This whole "we're in the Championship, lets blood youth". **** that, lets get the best team we can and smash the **** out of the other 9 teams in the division.

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

This might go against the grain but I want the best team we can put together, on the park.

Is Halliday better than Irving? The answer is yes.

If Irving, or any other youngster want a game then show it. This whole "we're in the Championship, lets blood youth". **** that, lets get the best team we can and smash the **** out of the other 9 teams in the division.

What do you mean by 'better'?

From what I've seen of both (more of Irving) they're not remotely comparable. One is  a playmaking midfielder with an ability to read the game,  and a great passer of the ball in tight situations. The other is a left-back/midfielder, with a good engine and battling qualities,  who will be a great asset in this division. 

They will not be in direct competition for a place in my opinion. A lot will depend on the fitness of people like Haring, Lee, Naismith and Walker, but I think that Halliday will be seen on the bench more often than starting, and will be used as a utility player, depending how any particular game is going at the time. Irving is  20 and will only get better, and I expect him to be ahead of Lee and Halliday for the midfield. 

Andy Irving will be the next player picked up by a bigger club, so I hope we've got him on a long contract.

7 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

If I was Robbie, I would be bidding for Campbell now - £100K up-front, loan back to Well for the season, with top-up settlement fee next summer. Well win as they get money in but don’t have to find an immediate replacement. Good for us too as we don’t really need him this season & he gets another year of top-flight experience.

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon 

Boyce. 

That is decent imo. That supplemented with a couple of promising youths from the academy will see us up. Build on it next summer. 

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

From what I've seen of both (more of Irving) they're not remotely comparable. One is  a playmaking midfielder with an ability to read the game,  and a great passer of the ball in tight situations. The other is a left-back/midfielder, with a good engine and battling qualities,  who will be a great asset in this division. 

They will not be in direct competition for a place in my opinion. A lot will depend on the fitness of people like Haring, Lee, Naismith and Walker, but I think that Halliday will be seen on the bench more often than starting, and will be used as a utility player, depending how any particular game is going at the time. Irving is  20 and will only get better, and I expect him to be ahead of Lee and Halliday for the midfield. 

Andy Irving will be the next player picked up by a bigger club, so I hope we've got him on a long contract.

Not according to the man himself, or any Rangers supporter I've spoken to about him. He's very much a midfielder that wants on the ball and make things happen. He's just never been used in that manner for much of his time at Rangers.

We're not signing Halliday to a very nice wage to sit on the bench.

9 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Irving will play when Lee is not playing. Halliday and Haring  will be main picks if both fit. But have good options in midfield.

I'd agree with this. Irving and Lee as ball players / good passers. Halliday / Haring more imposing player, winning the ball back (both still decent passers).

looks like we have good cover here - allowing for rest / recovery.

9 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Irving will play when Lee is not playing. Halliday and Haring  will be main picks if both fit. But have good options in midfield.

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not according to the man himself, or any Rangers supporter I've spoken to about him. He's very much a midfielder that wants on the ball and make things happen. He's just never been used in that manner for much of his time at Rangers.

We're not signing Halliday to a very nice wage to sit on the bench.

It's quite likely that Halliday will play ahead of Lee, but Irving is likely to be a midfield first-pick, at least if Neilson wants to play football.

22 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

That is decent imo. That supplemented with a couple of promising youths from the academy will see us up. Build on it next summer. 

Yeah Brandon, Henderson etx to come in. Whyte and Garrucio to cover if we wanna play a flat back 4. Decent options and should romp the Vida league. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

It's quite likely that Halliday will play ahead of Lee, but Irving is likely to be a midfield first-pick, at least if Neilson wants to play football.

What a silly comment. 

So if Irving isn't playing, Robbie doesn't want to play football? 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

What a silly comment. 

So if Irving isn't playing, Robbie doesn't want to play football? 

OK, I'll change football to 'football'.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

OK, I'll change football to 'football'.

Nah, it's just shite chat. 

Whether we play "football" is not dependent on whether Irving plays or not. 

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's an interesting topic, I was reading Bergkamp talking about this recently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54299158

Excellent article. 

Particularly liked this part. 

"All of that happened with me. The idea from Cruyff was to toughen me up. As a teenager, I once got demoted to a lower team at Ajax, to provoke a reaction from me. They put me in the outside of the wall at free-kicks so I had to communicate with the goalkeeper and, when I played out wide, they put me in other positions that were affected by where I usually played. All of that stuff."

Bet our youth coaches don't think of that shit. Probably too busy looking at monitors to see their heart rate and how far they've run. 

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon 

Boyce. 

Don’t rate Henderson at all. Rather see McDonald getting a chance over him 

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

I think Hallidays game time will be dictated by Harings availability.

Although I believe Halliday will be an asset in the championship, I hope he spends most of the season on the bench for exactly that reason, as I'd love to see a fit Haring all year.

I strongly suspect we might very well see a lot of Halliday. He will make a solid second choice for that role.

I think Lee and Irving might be contesting the other centre midfield spot but I can see Walker or Naismiths game time impacting that.

I would see either as no10's in the most advanced midfield position or perhaps as second striker. However I think the lack of pace needed to be a succesful wide man in the championship, might mean we could see either deployed further forward in the wide roles and Naismith even deputise as the no 9 when Boyle or Wighton are not in the team.

EDIT - Almost forgot to say. None of them will get in the side if Loic Damour is fit and playing anywhere near 50%

Edited by davie1980

5 minutes ago, Robdawg said:

Don’t rate Henderson at all. Rather see McDonald getting a chance over him 

Looking at those options...

I think Moore, Henderson, McDonald will only get their game if they are very impressive in training, reserve games and coming off the bench

Not sure it matter much who we would rather see, I think they will need to be firing on all cylinder to squeeze into that group, so I'm not too worried about which gets the nod, they will need to have earned their place, unlike previous seasons where Morrison, Moore or Mulraney have been able to walk into the team due to lack of other vaible alternatives.

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, it's just shite chat. 

Whether we play "football" is not dependent on whether Irving plays or not. 

spot on. Some of the opinions on here are ****ing mental.. 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

spot on. Some of the opinions on here are ****ing mental.. 

They really are. 

Folk also think Halliday will be on the bench. 

You'd think we had just finished 3rd and had a great midfield. 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Halliday is a replacement for - and upgrade on - Bozanic. Simple. 

Also an upgrade on Clare, Lee, Damour, Cochrane and Irving. 

He’s a good signing for where we are right now, seasoned and proven performer at our level, and a good benchmark for the likes of Irving and Cochrane. A very hard working competitor, ok not got the quality to win leagues for Rangers but he helped to win a lot of games to get them back to there. That’s the minimum bar these kids should be setting themselves, win football matches. 

Conor Smith away to Arbroath on loan is now 3 out and one (Halliday) in. Must mean at least 1 or 2 more incoming. 

Edited by Batistuta87

16 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Also an upgrade on Clare, Lee, Damour, Cochrane and Irving. 

He’s a good signing for where we are right now, seasoned and proven performer at our level, and a good benchmark for the likes of Irving and Cochrane. A very hard working competitor, ok not got the quality to win leagues for Rangers but he helped to win a lot of games to get them back to there. That’s the minimum bar these kids should be setting themselves, win football matches. 

In a nutshell....

Some people can’t see it. We need to go back to the very start.  Hard work, responsibility in performances and a desire to show toughness when things are going against us. 

There’s too much talk of how players are going improve technically or what style we need to play.  Of course these things are important but we need to earn that right again. Start from the basics and grow again to the stage we have a standard set (hard work, will to win that is the example) and then you expand to better quality in the future. 

We’ve actually got a few decent players as it is. It’s the environment they’re working in that needed changed. Hopefully it is in the process of doing so. 

49 minutes ago, Barack said:

I think Halliday is/was a bit of a dick. I also think/ thought that about Naismith, Lafferty & McCulloch.

Niggly arseholes. But all want to win, and have the drive to keep standards up and push their team-mates. I'll take Halliday in midfield against Hibs, all day long. 

Irving will get chances. Lee will be rested and Haring will be used sparingly. Halliday will do just fine. 

To say though we'll only play football based on Andy's ability to pass a ball, is disingenuous to 

Lee firstly. Secondly it doesn't say much for the three winger's, Jamie Walker & Naismith. If that's the standard we're basing our ability on, to put away the likes of Alloa & Morton on a weekly basis now, does it.

We needed more players in with a nasty side to them rather than all those that wouldn't say boo to a goose and have no dig about them.

Another couple more like this will do me.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

They really are. 

Folk also think Halliday will be on the bench. 

You'd think we had just finished 3rd and had a great midfield. 

Our midfield was absolute honking..

AI has potential, I’m FAR from convinced he’s the man to boss the midfield and get us out of the championship.  A very tidy player.. he has lots to prove

if Haring comes back then that’s a massive boost.. but as I said earlier, Andy Halliday is the signing of the summer 

Edited by kingantti1874

1 hour ago, Barack said:

I think Halliday is/was a bit of a dick. I also think/ thought that about Naismith, Lafferty & McCulloch.

Niggly arseholes. But all want to win, and have the drive to keep standards up and push their team-mates. I'll take Halliday in midfield against Hibs, all day long. 

Irving will get chances. Lee will be rested and Haring will be used sparingly. Halliday will do just fine. 

To say though we'll only play football based on Andy's ability to pass a ball, is disingenuous to 

Lee firstly. Secondly it doesn't say much for the three winger's, Jamie Walker & Naismith. If that's the standard we're basing our ability on, to put away the likes of Alloa & Morton on a weekly basis now, does it.

Naismith and McCulloch yes . Lafferty didn't have that drive . He was all about Lafferty . Score against Celtic (didn't really matter if we won or not) make gestures to their fans= happy Lafferty .

Not in the same league as the other 2