Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

Gorgie Boot boy
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

My post was about Shankland. Wighton proved he could score in the Championship a the end of last season and as essentially our 3rd striker that's all I care about now.

Ah my mistake then, Hearts were watching Shankland like a lot of clubs before he went to the Biscuit's. Hearts didn't take the common interest any further. My understanding is that he was happy in his life at the time, it took a heavy weight wedge to change his mind. Wighton also had a very good reputation at that time. There are two people who spring to mind as at fault in transfer ins and outs over the last few seasons. Shankland has had the better path since , in my opinion.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

You sure about that big boy?  :lol: 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2645315/hearts-target-lawrence-shankland-ayr-utd-new-deal/

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/11485781/hearts-sign-forward-craig-wighton-from-dundee

Do you even pay attention to Hearts and football related information or do you just spend your life fire fighting Leveins mistakes?

So, not available for free if he wanted to stay at Ayr, which he did.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

It was all good though because Craig knew he was getting CW.

Shankland -  a free, bloody transfer man. 

Who didn't want to move to us or anyone else. And who later turned down Premiership clubs and English clubs to stay in the Championship.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Moose also played up front in the Bundesliga and for Canada. I wouldn't expect you to know that though.

He started up front a lot in the Bundesliga  for Koln, aye?  Scored a bundle also, I'm sure. :lol: 

When was the non-hoofball then pal?

Unlucky with the Shankland call too btw.  Is it okay to blame the judgement of Levein on that one? 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So, not available for free if he wanted to stay at Ayr, which he did.

Keep digging that hole hahahaha.

We had the chance to sign him for free.  We showed him around.  We then lost our interest and signed CW instead.  All actual facts. 

14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You seem happy with being in the Championship, what can I say?

Moronic comment.

No problem though, you don't get excited about football the way I do, no problem with that at all, like I said, i really feel very sorry for you.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

He started up front a lot in the Bundesliga  for Koln, aye?  Scored a bundle also, I'm sure. :lol: 

When was the non-hoofball then pal?

Unlucky with the Shankland call too btw.  Is it okay to blame the judgement of Levein on that one? 

As you'd know if you knew anything about Hearts you'd know that McKenna was very effective up front. He was a Dion Dublin type in terms of being a player managers could play up front or at the back.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Keep digging that hole hahahaha.

We had the chance to sign him for free.  We showed him around.  We then lost our interest and signed CW instead.  All actual facts. 

Not facts. But then I don't rely on the Sun for facts. Question for you, given it was never Shankland OR Wighton as Wighton was signed as one for the future, would you have signed Steven Naismith or Shankland? We also had Lafferty on our books.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Shankland again eh? Barry! 

He scored so that brings them out the woodwork. Still needs four more to match Wighton's top flight tally though.

3 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Agreed. If we don’t win every game I will be also disappointed. 

Normally I would agree

We have to take the chance of some sort of Covid impact but still being required to play - remember with no reserve league this year players that havent been playing regularly will not be match fit. We may have a week where say 6 first team players cant play but we have squad cover for it therefore will require to play the game

If we are playing any other team with half decent form that would be a tough game

But the aim must be to win every game, totally agree, and in a normal season I would agree that we should come close.

42 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It was all good though because Craig knew he was getting CW.

Shankland -  a free, bloody transfer man. 

Shankland would not be the player he is today if he came to Hearts. 

Edited by indianajones

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Shankland would not be the player he is today if he came to Hearts. 

Fair point.  We know why that is but don’t mention it to TJ.  

36 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

As you'd know if you knew anything about Hearts you'd know that McKenna was very effective up front. He was a Dion Dublin type in terms of being a player managers could play up front or at the back.

He was effective when there was no other players to play or it was going hoofball x 10x

When was this good football that Levein played by the way? 

37 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not facts. But then I don't rely on the Sun for facts. Question for you, given it was never Shankland OR Wighton as Wighton was signed as one for the future, would you have signed Steven Naismith or Shankland? We also had Lafferty on our books.

That was the first article that came up when doing a quick search big boy.

We turned down the chance to sign Shankland on a free.  We then signed Shankland.  Facts. 

33 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He scored so that brings them out the woodwork. Still needs four more to match Wighton's top flight tally though.

It only it wasn’t for injuries, right? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Im confident by the end of the season he will have scored at least double Wightons impressive top flight tally.  You watch and see 🤣🤣🤣

Oh aye comparing Naismith to Shankland when he was a promising youngster we turned down 🤣🤣 

Edited by Last Laff

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He was effective when there was no other players to play or it was going hoofball x 10x

Mainly the games that Naismith was fit, and/or the ones where Milinkovic played.

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

That was the first article that came up when doing a quick search big boy.

We turned down the chance to sign Shankland on a free.  We then signed Shankland.  Facts. 

We never spoke with Shanklands. You may want to read your post. We turned down Shankland to sign Shankland. You must mean Craig Wighton.

6 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Mainly the games that Naismith was fit, and/or the ones where Milinkovic played.

Naismith was fit in tons of frustrating crap games, even when we won just because he was fit.  Good shout about Skinny mind. 

He’s always been a hoofball merchant though.  It’s probably why he will now be done with football management and instead kick abojt with his new pal Chicko on the bbc. 

Edited by Last Laff

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It only it wasn’t for injuries, right? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Im confident by the end of the season he will have scored at least double Wightons impressive top flight tally.  You watch and see 🤣🤣🤣

Oh aye comparing Naismith to Shankland when he was a promising youngster we turned down 🤣🤣 

And you'll be cheering him on no doubt. We never turned Shankland down. How many times.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

We never spoke with Shanklands. You may want to read your post. We turned down Shankland to sign Shankland. You must mean Craig Wighton.

I meant CW.  Shankland was spoken to and met loads of times before we said no. 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

And you'll be cheering him on no doubt. We never turned Shankland down. How many times.

Why would I cheer on some boy at Dundee Utd?  Your insults don’t even make sense man. 

Yes we did.  Levein knew better. 

Edited by Last Laff

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

So if he signs for two years it acceptable ?

Our investment has to be smart.....first priority is getting out if this league. Second is cementing our place in the Premiership.....we’ll have an eye on both which is why two year deals will be the standard unless it’s an unmissable opportunity.

A 28/29 year old Halliday who has played at a higher level than the majority of our current squad will ever play will do just fine.

Craig Gordon

Steven Naismith

Christophe Berra 

Michael Smith

Aidy White 

Liam Boyce 

Loic Damour 

Olly Lee

Colin Doyle

Jordan Roberts 

Josh Ginnelly

Have all played in the Championship or higher in England. You’ve had a shocker there mate. 

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Talking of the McKenna era, during that time Levein signed one of the best forwards I've ever seen play for Hearts in Ricardo Fuller and one of the best midfielders in Paul Hartley. We had two very enjoyable 3rds in a row, cuffed Hibs for fun and enjoyed some good European times. Hoofball aye?

12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Naismith was fit in tons of frustrating crap games, even when we won just because he was fit.  Good shout about Skinny mind. 

He’s always been a hoofball merchant though.  It’s probably why he will now be done with football management and instead kick abojt with his new pal Chicko on the bbc. 

Don’t want to rake over too many old coals, but there were times when his United side played some pretty good football against us. Barry Robson in particular seemed to make them tick at the time and he played with it on the deck. Some of our European games weren’t hoofball either. There were other performances for us too, like the Celtic wins, but they were getting a bit fleeting, in his second term that’s for sure. I don’t think injuries can be totally discounted as playing a big part in that though. When he had decent midfielders like Hartley and Robson he tended to use them. 

Edited by Beast Boy

Gorgie Boot boy
9 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Why would I cheer on some boy at Dundee Utd?  Your insults don’t even make sense man. 

Insults and making sense , you posted his name twice, according to you we missed the chance to sign him then signed him. Not my issue. We did not speak with Shankland. Levein knew better according to you. Nothing is guaranteed in life. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet over Facts. No one mentioned cheering on anyone.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Prove it. Is this when he was allegedly being courted by Rangers and Celtic too, with Sunderland desperate to sign him? 🤣 We watched Shankland like every single Scottish Premiership team, like we track any youngish player who shows any sort of form in the lower leagues. 

Gorgie Boot boy
15 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

There it is right there, i was pointing out that error before you decided to have a dig at me. What are you waffling on about anyway. Trying to debate on a player who did not speak with us, no matter how much you want to pretend did. it was'nt anyone's fault, as it never happened in the first place. We are in fact still watching him, he may well sign for us or another side in the near future. Will that be Hearts fault as well, who will you blame now that Levein is off our pay roll ?

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

We don't sign lots of players. Literally thousands every season. Shankland didn't want to leave his good thing in the Championship after being burned at Aberdeen, and Ayr wanted to cash in. Only D Utd and their rich owners decided to fork out the money Ayr wanted and were able to offer Shankland the Championship football he wanted.

3 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

There it is right there, i was pointing out that error before you decided to have a dig at me. What are you waffling on about anyway. Trying to debate on a player who did not speak with us, no matter how much you want to pretend did. it was'nt anyone's fault, as it never happened in the first place. We are in fact still watching him, he may well sign for us or another side in the near future. Will that be Hearts fault as well, who will you blame now that Levein is off our pay roll ?

Can you point on that dig at you? I got that far and your post got launched in the bin like 90% of your others tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Don’t want to rake over too many old coals, but there were times when his United side played some pretty good football against us. Barry Robson in particular seemed to make them tick at the time and he played with it on the deck. Some of our European games weren’t hoofball either. There were other performances for us too, like the Celtic wins, but they were getting a bit fleeting, in his second term that’s for sure. I don’t think injuries can be totally discounted as playing a big part in that though. When he had decent midfielders like Hartley and Robson he tended to use them. 

Agree about his Dundee Utd team. They were a great young team to watch. Ripped us a new one a few times if I recall. Levein always liked a big man up front. De Vries, McKenna, Daly, Lafferty. His teams success in the past were always built on hard work rather than hoof ball. If you didn’t graft you weren’t in his team. I’ve heard from a few guys that after his health scare he lost his edge and everything became a bit more half-hearted. May or not be true but certainly fits the timescale when things started to go wrong. 

Gorgie Boot boy
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Talking of the McKenna era, during that time Levein signed one of the best forwards I've ever seen play for Hearts in Ricardo Fuller and one of the best midfielders in Paul Hartley. We had two very enjoyable 3rds in a row, cuffed Hibs for fun and enjoyed some good European times. Hoofball aye?

Craig was a real good manager when he was first in the gig, Hearts had real dig with a proper set up to score goals in them times. Was the second spell and a heart attack ended his reputation. The Hoofball term people are using for the way we have played in reason times is wrong, that title will always belong to the vermin. Hearts are either on it or total shite. My opinion again, I have only been following the side since the the early 70's right enough though. The recent times have been mostly crab football and cowardly back passing , in the hope to draw. Hense the reason we have one main striker in Boycie . Danny was out witted by other teams hoofball to beat his press though. Too many to guess what one you may belong to.

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Agree about his Dundee Utd team. They were a great young team to watch. Ripped us a new one a few times if I recall. Levein always liked a big man up front. De Vries, McKenna, Daly, Lafferty. His teams success in the past were always built on hard work rather than hoof ball. If you didn’t graft you weren’t in his team. I’ve heard from a few guys that after his health scare he lost his edge and everything became a bit more half-hearted. May or not be true but certainly fits the timescale when things started to go wrong. 

It did feel that way. Suppose you can never really tell how something like that can affect an individual. It’s sad the way it went.

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Can you point on that dig at you? I got that far and your post got launched in the bin like 90% of your others tbh. 

Dig.

Your insults don’t even make sense man. 

To be honest, you talk come amount of shite anyway, so go ahead.

Grab a spade. The way you are going on , you will need it to dig yourself out of the hole you are in.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

This is definitely true and in Scotland there's a very good case for having that in your arsenal because often games become battles when you want a physical presence up front. Even the best Celtic and Rangers teams often had a big man up front. Levein became the great player he was in a team that had the classic big man wee man combo up front in Clark and Robbo. Lots of Scottish and English teams had that before football became more technical.

Whatever the reason for Levein losing his mojo, health or motivation or what, he was definitely a shadow of the sparky Hearts and D Utd manager he was. 

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

We were absolutely honking the season Milinkovic was here bar a few results, and Levein barely played him because he wouldn’t stay in position and help out the defence. If it wasn’t for Lafferty we would have been relegated. 
As for the ten games at the start of 18-19 we weren’t playing great football, we were extremely effective with great movement up front. It shouldn’t need to rely on one player to play well. 
Leveins teams always resort to long balls. 

I think McKenna was a striker who was converted to a defender before coming to Hearts if I remember correctly. He played up front for Canada for a bit too.

Gorgie Boot boy
18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We don't sign lots of players. Literally thousands every season. Shankland didn't want to leave his good thing in the Championship after being burned at Aberdeen, and Ayr wanted to cash in. Only D Utd and their rich owners decided to fork out the money Ayr wanted and were able to offer Shankland the Championship football he wanted.

I accidently quoted you in the previous post i made, sorry.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He was out of contract when he signed for Utd, that’s why I mentioned Ayr missing out on a fee at least twice. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

We were absolutely honking the season Milinkovic was here bar a few results, and Levein barely played him because he wouldn’t stay in position and help out the defence. If it wasn’t for Lafferty we would have been relegated. 
As for the ten games at the start of 18-19 we weren’t playing great football, we were extremely effective with great movement up front. It shouldn’t need to rely on one player to play well. 
Leveins teams always resort to long balls. 

Milinkovic was one of the few players we had at that time who had a bit of guile about him. He should have been told to play in a free role tbh. We were often shite but Milinkovic was the only guy who looked like he was a threat.

There’s no point in me debating this with you though, you’ve made your mind up and you just refuse to budge. Can’t be bothered anyway, it’s been done to death.

4 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I think McKenna was a striker who was converted to a defender before coming to Hearts if I remember correctly. He played up front for Canada for a bit too.

He was on trial at Celtic as a defender and then us. He used to train with Celtic youths and kicked about until we gave him his chance.  I only know this vividly because I played against him a couple of times.  He was never a forward.   

He was a really good player for us too and I’m not going to slag the player, he done a tremendous job when asked and gave it 100% every position.   

If he was the equivalent of Haulket it probably doesn’t help matters :lol: 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Milinkovic was one of the few players we had at that time who had a bit of guile about him. He should have been told to play in a free role tbh. We were often shite but Milinkovic was the only guy who looked like he was a threat.

There’s no point in me debating this with you though, you’ve made your mind up and you just refuse to budge. Can’t be bothered anyway, it’s been done to death.

There is no debate, the vast majority of people would say he’s a hoofball merchant, still played the same football he grew up with in the 80s. A total dinosaur. 

9 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

You made that up, he only played about 5 games before we signed him. Levein was the first to play him up front, he did ok. He did it with various CHs in his managerial career, the latest being Haring and Halkett. Not the actions of a football purist. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He was on trial at Celtic as a defender and then us. He used to train with Celtic youths and kicked about until we gave him his chance.  I only know this vividly because I played against him a couple of times.  He was never a forward.   

He was a really good player for us too and I’m not going to slag the player, he done a tremendous job when asked and gave it 100% every position.   

If he was the equivalent of Haulket it probably doesn’t help matters :lol: 

His youth career was in Canada. By kicking around do you mean being on the books of Bundesliga side Energie Cottbus for 3 years from the age of 18? We, or rather Levein, signed him from the Bundesliga for 300 or 350k. He was a top signing and very good player both in his career with us, internationally and in Germany after he left us.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There is no debate, the vast majority of people would say he’s a hoofball merchant, still played the same football he grew up with in the 80s. A total dinosaur. 

You made that up, he only played about 5 games before we signed him. Levein was the first to play him up front, he did ok. He did it with various CHs in his managerial career, the latest being Haring and Halkett. Not the actions of a football purist. 

This is not true. McKenna was used as a back-up striker when needed because he was very effective. So effective that he was used by other managers in that role.

Haring was used once when we literally had no-one else fit and Halkett just got pushed up now and then like many managers do when the game gets to the launch it stage. Got us through tricky cup tie against Aberdeen didn't it? 

As for the dinosaur comments. Laughable. Is 4-6-0, or embracing the DoF model in Scotland, or appointing untried coaches like Neilson and Cathro the actins of a football dinosaur? If anything, Levein's problem was he actually thought too much about football and tried too hard to change things. I WISH he had played more back to basics football in his second spell with us, especially latterly.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is not true. McKenna was used as a back-up striker when needed because he was very effective. So effective that he was used by other managers in that role.

Haring was used once when we literally had no-one else fit and Halkett just got pushed up now and then like many managers do when the game gets to the launch it stage. Got us through tricky cup tie against Aberdeen didn't it? 

As for the dinosaur comments. Laughable. Is 4-6-0, or embracing the DoF model in Scotland, or appointing untried coaches like Neilson and Cathro the actins of a football dinosaur? If anything, Levein's problem was he actually thought too much about football and tried too hard to change things. I WISH he had played more back to basics football in his second spell with us, especially latterly.

Sorry I meant revolutionary hahahahaha HHHHOOOOOOFFFFFFFF. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s big of you, all of us make mistakes. You could be thinking of Halkett who was a striker and turned into a CH, he’s still dangerous in both boxes. 

Saw McKenna play much in Calgary and Germany age 18 to 21 or so did you?

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s big of you, all of us make mistakes. You could be thinking of Halkett who was a striker and turned into a CH, he’s still dangerous in both boxes. 

Nah, wasn’t a case of mistaken identity. It’s obviously more to do with misremembering something I’d read about him at the time. Didn’t have internet access at that time, so it would have been in a newspaper. I think it was an interview with the man himself. I remember he was speaking about Owen Hargreaves in the same interview, saying that (I think - in case I’m remembering this wrong too! 🙄), he had believed Hargreaves was going to choose to play for Canada rather than England, and that he was disappointed he changed his mind.

You’re a bit tetchy these last few days. 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry I meant revolutionary hahahahaha HHHHOOOOOOFFFFFFFF. 

If you're going to have a go at Levein do so for the right reasons, don't just repeat things Hibs fans say.

Anyone who's followed his entire career knows he's been one of our more interesting characters and certainly one of our biggest thinkers. 

You can laugh but appointing Cathro and that whole DoF and coaching development/succession idea was extremely revolutionary for Scotland. As was going 4-6-0 whether it worked or not. Even the way he approached the D Utd role was quite forward thinking.

When I think dinosaur Hearts managers I think JJ, and JJ is my favourite ever Hearts manager. He's a guy who sticks with what he does well. I wish Levein had done that in his second spell in terms of putting out Hearts teams that are extremely hard to beat and on their day can beat anyone, often by a few goals. Instead he got carried away with DoF/manager/coach roles and over-thinking tactics. He wasn't helped by injuries and whatever he seems to have lost after his health scare. The DoF thing alone should be enough not to give him the dinosaur tag. Sad to say but having a DoF IS revolutionary for Scotland, even in 2020.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
Just now, Beast Boy said:

Nah, wasn’t a case of mistaken identity. It’s obviously more to do with misremembering something I’d read about him at the time. Didn’t have internet access at that time, so it would have been in a newspaper. I think it was an interview with the man himself. I remember he was speaking about Owen Hargreaves in the same interview, saying that (I think - in case I’m remembering this wrong too! 🙄), he had believed Hargreaves was going to choose to play for Canada rather than England, and that he was disappointed he changed his mind.

You’re a bit tetchy these last few days. 

He played with Hargreaves in the same youth team, great player who did well as it’s not easy to play at both ends. Dave Macpherson and Derek Johnson were good at it too. 
This imaginary signing of Halliday, even though he doesn’t want to stay in Scotland, is crap and hasn’t trained in 6 months and now back to Levein has me a bit tetchy as you say.