Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

so apart from the boring, dull and frankly weird halliday chat, is there any news on any further incomings/outgoings at our club ? 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

So, I see that Halliday has a job as the BBC's Rangers analyst.  I really do not want him at Hearts.  My Killie mate used to get raging when Boyd would be used by Sky as their Rangers pundit while he was still employed at Rugby Park.

Gorgie Boot boy
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Apart from categorically saying he couldn’t see himself playing for another Scottish club and wants to go to the MLS?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18469795.ex-rangers-star-andy-halliday-targets-mls-move-released-ibrox/

Your post covers what he said 4 months ago. A lot has changed since then. 22nd May. His contract ran out July 1st. During that period we were still shut down. So in effect he has missed around 4 weeks. No idea what his levels of fitness are. Also hearing he has turned down recent offers, has one that he is still dwelling over.

Ex-Rangers star Andy Halliday targets MLS move after being released from Ibrox

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They were both valued at around £150k. Horrendous decision to buy Wighton. 

Not according to the papers back then. We got Wighton for a development fee (I think) and part exchange with Hamilton. Ayr were demanding at least 250 grand cash for Shankland.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'm struggling to understand why you bother interacting with him, he makes me want to slash my own throat. 

It's like he's here to suck the life and enjoyment out of supporting Hearts.

Please tell me you have good reason for interacting with him.

:rofl:

It’s not my fault I don’t have your low standards.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Just to jump in - Sammon wasn’t signed our first season back up 

Aye, but we were in about second and third with him playing the season after. 

When he got dropped and played less we dropped.... 

Maybe should have kept him..... 

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

The guy played 50 games at Premiership level in the last two seasons for the second best team in the country. I don’t know how he could have achieved that if he wasn’t a good footballer tbh. It really does defy all logic.

How many of our current batch of midfielders would be good enough to play that amount of games for a top 3 club ?

He’s no world beater by any stretch but he’d certainly get a game for everyone outside Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers.

Hibs have signed Stephen McGinn and I’d say Halliday is better than him. He’d also be a better signing than Craig Bryson who has joined his second Premiership club in a year. 

Halliday would strengthen the squad as he can play a couple of positions and I would not be against him getting a 2 year deal. Nothing more.

Some folk are losing the plot.  We aren’t handing out 10 year deals now.  Halliday on a short term deal would be a decent solid signing for where we are.

He’s wholehearted, maybe a bit hotheaded, but we really are back to basics. We need a culture change at the club in respect of players with a fearless attitude.  It needs bred back into the psyche of the playing staff and around the training complex. 

Every little helps, players like this help.  We can carry one or two who maybe aren’t renowned for being strong characters but sometimes they feed off winners around them and get a spark.

We’ve had too many people needing carried lately.  We aren’t signing polished, ready made left backs who’ll keep us ahead of the rest in the SPL when we go up.  It’s not like 2014. The ground work needs done again after the confidence and belief being sucked out of us in the last couple of years.  

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

To be fair (and I don't like being fair to our recruitment in the last few seasons) but shankland had had one good season at league 1 level, with reports of being a lazy trainer leading him to leave Aberdeen. Wighton was highly thought of also at that time, playing at a higher level, albeit scored a lot, lot less goals. I agree that we should have been looking at shankland at that time, and we should not have paid what we did for Wighton, but had we spent his fee on Shankland their would have been rage on here

Indeed but he had scored a lot more goals at a similar level, Wighton had been on loan down there. People would’ve complained, until he started scoring goals anyway, nobody on here had heard of Wighton at the time we wasted that money on him. We could’ve also tried to get Shankland the next window and last summer before he went to Utd. Fair to say Neilson rates him more than Levein did. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Your post covers what he said 4 months ago. A lot has changed since then. 22nd May. His contract ran out July 1st. During that period we were still shut down. So in effect he has missed around 4 weeks. No idea what his levels of fitness are. Also hearing he has turned down recent offers, has one that he is still dwelling over.

He’s not trained in 6 months, Rangers didn’t go back until late June and he’s not been there as he said he would’ve liked to say goodbye to everyone in one of those articles. He hasn’t said he will stay here. 

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not according to the papers back then. We got Wighton for a development fee (I think) and part exchange with Hamilton. Ayr were demanding at least 250 grand cash for Shankland.

Absolute nonsense, I showed you the links ages ago when you were spreading the same lies. Hamilton was sold for £50k, Wighton for bought £150k and Ayr valued Shankland at £150k but then tried to start a bidding war that cost them. If we had went in for early in summer we could’ve got him for £150k. It might’ve even been more for Wighton. 
https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/columnist/why-is-craig-wighton-not-of-sufficient-standard-for-hearts/

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It the terms of the signing that matter, not the signing itself. Levein would have done this on a four year deal. At most we should be giving Halliday two. The Championship is a pish league and even though we need to be prepared for it, our investment in players should do towards prospects who can improve and make us a competitive Premier League side. I doubt a 31/32 year old Halliday is going to do that.

So if he signs for two years it acceptable ?

Our investment has to be smart.....first priority is getting out if this league. Second is cementing our place in the Premiership.....we’ll have an eye on both which is why two year deals will be the standard unless it’s an unmissable opportunity.

A 28/29 year old Halliday who has played at a higher level than the majority of our current squad will ever play will do just fine.

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s not trained in 6 months, Rangers didn’t go back until late June and he’s not been there as he said he would’ve liked to say goodbye to everyone in one of those articles. He hasn’t said he will stay here. 

Trained for what though ? No clubs were in training during the lockdown. I would imagine he has kept himself in reasonable shape, enough to take part in 3 weeks training to get a feel for it. The fact he is still hovering around says one thing, he is still here 6 months later. 

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

If what you say was true he would’ve been inundated with offers to the point he would’ve signed for someone two months ago before the Premiership season has started and wouldn’t even gives the likes of a championship side a look in. But he hasn’t signed for anyone - that in itself tells a story.

You think nobody has made him an offer ?

Yet Stephen McGinn and Craig Bryson have both found clubs.......

Maybe the guy is just waiting to see what’s on offer.....maybe he’s in no rush. We don’t know what the situation is and just because we aren’t aware of any offers does not mean there hasn’t been any.

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Jason Holt player 60 games in the Premiership for Rangers. Should we go for him?  

Rangers were absolutely shite when they played for them. It means nothing. 

I don’t think Rangers were ever runners up when Jason Holt was there......that is why I specifically mentioned the last two seasons.

Gorgie Boot boy

Has anyone bothered to look to see how many players were released through out the football world, are they all shite or useless. Come on, time for a reality check. Restrictions are causing mayhem everywhere. That is the jist of it all.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

So if he signs for two years it acceptable ?

Our investment has to be smart.....first priority is getting out if this league. Second is cementing our place in the Premiership.....we’ll have an eye on both which is why two year deals will be the standard unless it’s an unmissable opportunity.

A 28/29 year old Halliday who has played at a higher level than the majority of our current squad will ever play will do just fine.

What level is that out of interest? English Championship? Oh and he wants to go to the MLS which is maybe why he’s not had offers or turned them down. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Has anyone bothered to look to see how many players were released through out the football world, are they all shite or useless. Come on, time for a reality check. Restrictions are causing mayhem everywhere. That is the jist of it all.

Yes and they’re are far better players out there who might actually want to play in Scotland, if we can afford them. 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Some folk are losing the plot.  We aren’t handing out 10 year deals now.  Halliday on a short term deal would be a decent solid signing for where we are.

He’s wholehearted, maybe a bit hotheaded, but we really are back to basics. We need a culture change at the club in respect of players with a fearless attitude.  It needs bred back into the psyche of the playing staff and around the training complex. 

Every little helps, players like this help.  We can carry one or two who maybe aren’t renowned for being strong characters but sometimes they feed off winners around them and get a spark.

We’ve had too many people needing carried lately.  We aren’t signing polished, ready made left backs who’ll keep us ahead of the rest in the SPL when we go up.  It’s not like 2014. The ground work needs done again after the confidence and belief being sucked out of us in the last couple of years.  

He’s not a LB, he doesn’t want to play there, it was an emergency and he wasn’t very good at it. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What level is that out of interest? English Championship?

English Championship and Europa League football with the second biggest and best team in the country.....how many of our current squad are likely to hit those heights ?

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes and they’re are far better players out there who might actually want to play in Scotland, if we can afford them. 

I agree.

Guest ToqueJambo
24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolute nonsense, I showed you the links ages ago when you were spreading the same lies. Hamilton was sold for £50k, Wighton for bought £150k and Ayr valued Shankland at £150k but then tried to start a bidding war that cost them. If we had went in for early in summer we could’ve got him for £150k. It might’ve even been more for Wighton. 
https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/columnist/why-is-craig-wighton-not-of-sufficient-standard-for-hearts/

The reports I saw said Ayr turned down 150 grand from England and quoted Dundee 250k when they wanted to buy him. No-one really knows the details of the Wighton-Hamilton deal. We certainly weren't the only club who looked at Shankland and were turned off either by doubts over him making the step up (which he seems to have had himself) or the fee quoted, and that was when we had Naismith, Uche, McLean and Vanacek arriving in Jan (I know, I know). Even Hibs who are not shy about splashing 250 grand or so on lower league players didn't bite.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Berra than you
29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed but he had scored a lot more goals at a similar level, Wighton had been on loan down there. People would’ve complained, until he started scoring goals anyway, nobody on here had heard of Wighton at the time we wasted that money on him. We could’ve also tried to get Shankland the next window and last summer before he went to Utd. Fair to say Neilson rates him more than Levein did. 

Absolutely should have taken a punt on Shankland before he went to United. Seems strange that no prem teams did 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Part of an article in the Herald.

Hearts striker Craig Wighton insists both he and the team need to improve after underperforming last season.

Wighton made his 19th and final appearance of the season as a substitute in last Saturday’s agonisingly 2-1 Scottish Cup final loss to Celtic.

Progress to the Hampden showdown was the only consolation for the Hearts support, who had seen their team lead the Premiership until November, following a disappointing sixth-place finish.

On a personal level, Wighton has also struggled for form since joining in a £100,000 move from Dundee last summer.

A niggling ankle injury did not help but the 21-year-old is keen to show the Hearts fans that he has a long-term future at Tynecastle.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

English Championship and Europa League football with the second biggest and best team in the country.....how many of our current squad are likely to hit those heights ?

Heights? Really? He played in the Championship with them too. The majority you said. 
Gordon, Naismith, Boyce,Smith, Zlamal, Doyle,Popescu,Berra,Souttar,White,Roberts,Damour, Frear, Walker have all played in either the English Championship, in Europe or Internationally. Who knows what level our youngsters will get to, let’s hope it’s higher than Halliday. 

Leveins Battalion

Comparing Wighton to Shankland has been done to death,we get it,we signed the wrong player etc etc,Wighton is gash bla bla bla.

Personally out of the promising young strikers in Scotland just now Shankland,Nisbet and Stewart I would pick Stewart out the 3.Got that physical presence. 

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s not a LB, he doesn’t want to play there, it was an emergency and he wasn’t very good at it. 

Was just making the point more about the player, tbh.  

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Part of an article in the Herald.

Hearts striker Craig Wighton insists both he and the team need to improve after underperforming last season.

Wighton made his 19th and final appearance of the season as a substitute in last Saturday’s agonisingly 2-1 Scottish Cup final loss to Celtic.

Progress to the Hampden showdown was the only consolation for the Hearts support, who had seen their team lead the Premiership until November, following a disappointing sixth-place finish.

On a personal level, Wighton has also struggled for form since joining in a £100,000 move from Dundee last summer.

A niggling ankle injury did not help but the 21-year-old is keen to show the Hearts fans that he has a long-term future at Tynecastle.

Maybe 100k could include the 50k for Hamilton? We just don't know. There are reports of Ayr rejecting 150k and Dundee being quoted 250k. I'm OK with 50-100k punts on promising youngsters. Some work and some don't but we've got some gems through that policy.

Anyhow, Shankland finally has a top flight league goal. Just 4 more to match Wighton's top flight tally.

Edited by ToqueJambo

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Might is the key word here.

It must be absolutely hell getting to look at players and speak to them in the flesh at the moment. We’ve taken a chance on signing Popescu without having actually met him before agreeing a deal.

If we did that under CL all hell would have broken loose.

This will surely be the quietist transfer window for cross border transfers in history.

1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Exactly. So much has changed in the interim that MLS hopes are probably on hold at the moment. Nothing to say he can't sign a 1 year deal with some sort of mutual option to extend if he can't get a club in the MLS next summer. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The reports I saw said Ayr turned down 150 grand from England and quoted Dundee 250k when they wanted to buy him. No-one really knows the details of the Wighton-Hamilton deal. We certainly weren't the only club who looked at Shankland and were turned off either by doubts over him making the step up (which he seems to have had himself) or the fee quoted, and that was when we had Naismith, Uche, McLean and Vanacek arriving in Jan (I know, I know). Even Hibs who are not shy about splashing 250 grand or so on lower league players didn't bite.

Dundee bid £150k, our money, there was no fee quoted just speculation thats how much they wanted. Shame they lost out on it the end. Some people know, maybe even on here as transfer fees will be in the accounts. The point is Skankland is better than Wighton, who has been a disastrous signing, and should’ve been on our radar.  We did want Sow late on after signing Wighton, so we would’ve had 4 injury prone strikers and a 36yo 🙈.  

24 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

You think nobody has made him an offer ?

Yet Stephen McGinn and Craig Bryson have both found clubs.......

Maybe the guy is just waiting to see what’s on offer.....maybe he’s in no rush. We don’t know what the situation is and just because we aren’t aware of any offers does not mean there hasn’t been any.

You are of course correct that we don’t know what’s going on. Bryson for example found a Premiership club a week after being released, despite having legs with the strength of a packet of quavers. Halliday still without a club after 4 months at the very least has to raise questions.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Absolutely should have taken a punt on Shankland before he went to United. Seems strange that no prem teams did 

Possibly his alleged wages put them off at that point. 

Gorgie Boot boy
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Exactly. So much has changed in the interim that MLS hopes are probably on hold at the moment. Nothing to say he can't sign a 1 year deal with some sort of mutual option to extend if he can't get a club in the MLS next summer. 

If Halliday is still on our radar he would be offered a two year deal, with the option of an extra year depending on performances and of course the clubs league status. Our terms not his.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Might is the key word here.

It must be absolutely hell getting to look at players and speak to them in the flesh at the moment. We’ve taken a chance on signing Popescu without having actually met him before agreeing a deal.

If we did that under CL all hell would have broken loose.

This will surely be the quietist transfer window for cross border transfers in history.

I trust Neilson to do his homework though, although their fans hated him and St Middens loved him. Can’t be easy though. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Dundee bid £150k, our money, there was no fee quoted just speculation thats how much they wanted. Shame they lost out on it the end. Some people know, maybe even on here as transfer fees will be in the accounts. The point is Skankland is better than Wighton, who has been a disastrous signing, and should’ve been on our radar.  We did want Sow late on after signing Wighton, so we would’ve had 4 injury prone strikers and a 36yo 🙈.  

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/ayr-united-receive-150k-bid-for-dundee-target-lawrence-shankland/

"It was previously reported any side who would want to acquire the 22-year-old’s services would have to stump up at least £250k, with add-ons."

Until he proves otherwise, Shankland is still the new Jason Cummings for me.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Maybe 100k could include the 50k for Hamilton? I'm OK with 50-100k punts on promising youngsters. Some work and some don't but we've got some gems through that policy.

Anyhow, Shankland finally has a top flight league goal. Just 4 more to match Wighton's top flight tally.

Wighton needs to score about 100 this season to match his championship record 😆.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Was just making the point more about the player, tbh.  

Me too, by all accounts he’s no interest of signing for us. 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:rofl:

It’s not my fault I don’t have your low standards.

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Doubt it, if we don’t win this pub league by 20 points I’ll be disappointed 

I think any normal Hearts supporter will be more than happy to win this league by 1 point.

It must be really Shit being you.

Gorgie Boot boy
19 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/ayr-united-receive-150k-bid-for-dundee-target-lawrence-shankland/

"It was previously reported any side who would want to acquire the 22-year-old’s services would have to stump up at least £250k, with add-ons."

Here is a piece of information. If the fee was $250, 000 at that time, then the current value now will prove a slight improvement on the investment till now. The actual fee was £150,000. The player has played around 20 games most of them were as a sub. If you go by transfer market that deal has the look of a stagnated investment with a slight gain on value. None of it covers the wage he is on, how much has he accumulated while being out of touch with the back off the net. Not up to me but i would give him the last chance to prove himself at Hearts. I think he has a year left on that deal.

Current market value: 
£203Th.
Last update:
Jul 21, 2020
Highest market value:
£225Th.
Feb 14, 2017t has been

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Even last season Walker got 4 in 23. We didn't play hoofball at all in the start of 18/19. And a striker playing in the hole is not the same as playing in midfield. As I say, it's very clear you don't watch Hearts or maybe even football at all.

You think 4 in 23 is a good return for an attacking midfielder you say is going to score shit loads?

You're the one this time last year saying we had the third best team in the country and to back Levein :lol:  The start of 18/19 Uche terrorized everyone creating space for others, Levein has played hoofball his whole managerial career so dont talk shite all your life.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Here is a piece of information. If the fee was $250, 000 at that time, then the current value now will prove a slight improvement on the investment till now. The actual fee was £150,000. The player has played around 20 games most of them were as a sub. If you go by transfer market that deal has the look of a stagnated investment with a slight gain on value. None of it covers the wage he is on, how much has he accumulated while being out of touch with the back off the net. Not up to me but i would give him the last chance to prove himself at Hearts. I think he has a year left on that deal.

Current market value: 
£203Th.
Last update:
Jul 21, 2020
Highest market value:
£225Th.
Feb 14, 2017t has been

My post was about Shankland. Wighton proved he could score in the Championship a the end of last season and as essentially our 3rd striker that's all I care about now.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I think any normal Hearts supporter will be more than happy to win this league by 1 point.

It must be really Shit being you.

You seem happy with being in the Championship, what can I say?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

You think 4 in 23 is a good return for an attacking midfielder you say is going to score shit loads?

You're the one this time last year saying we had the third best team in the country and to back Levein :lol:  The start of 18/19 Uche terrorized everyone creating space for others, Levein has played hoofball his whole managerial career so dont talk shite all your life.

Not true and a very Hibs thing to say.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Shankland was not available for free when we signed Wighton. 

You sure about that big boy?  :lol: 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2645315/hearts-target-lawrence-shankland-ayr-utd-new-deal/

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/11485781/hearts-sign-forward-craig-wighton-from-dundee

Do you even pay attention to Hearts and football related information or do you just spend your life fire fighting Leveins mistakes?

Edited by Last Laff

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not true and a very Hibs thing to say.

It's Hibs to protect the ***** thats gotten us in this mess.

And for the record, aye it is.  He's never played anything apart from smash the ball up to the big guy.  Moose was our CF at times ffs :lol: 

Edited by Last Laff

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

You sure about that big boy?  :lol: 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2645315/hearts-target-lawrence-shankland-ayr-utd-new-deal/

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/11485781/hearts-sign-forward-craig-wighton-from-dundee

Do you even pay attention to Hearts and football related information or do you just spend your life fire fighting Leveins mistakes?

That article makes me depressed.

It's a no to Shankland but Hearts have been busy and snapped up Jake Mulraney and Steven Maclean.

Utterly horrific work.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It's Hibs to protect the ***** thats gotten us in this mess.

And for the record, aye it is.  He's never played anything apart from smash the ball up to the big guy.  Moose was our CF at times ffs :lol: 

Moose also played up front in the Bundesliga and for Canada. I wouldn't expect you to know that though.

1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

That article makes me depressed.

It's a no to Shankland but Hearts have been busy and snapped up Jake Mulraney and Steven Maclean.

Utterly horrific work.

It was all good though because Craig knew he was getting CW.

Shankland -  a free, bloody transfer man.