Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He played with Hargreaves in the same youth team, great player who did well as it’s not easy to play at both ends. Dave Macpherson and Derek Johnson were good at it too. 
This imaginary signing of Halliday, even though he doesn’t want to stay in Scotland, is crap and hasn’t trained in 6 months and now back to Levein has me a bit tetchy as you say. 

Yes, he mentioned that about Hargreaves. I think he was a bit disappointed that he chose England.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If you're going to have a go at Levein do so for the right reasons, don't just repeat things Hibs fans say.

Anyone who's followed his entire career knows he's been one of our more interesting characters and certainly one of our biggest thinkers. 

You can laugh but appointing Cathro and that whole DoF and coaching development/succession idea was extremely revolutionary for Scotland. As was going 4-6-0 whether it worked or not. Even the way he approached the D Utd role was quite forward thinking.

When I think dinosaur Hearts managers I think JJ, and JJ is my favourite ever Hearts manager. He's a guy who sticks with what he does well. I wish Levein had done that in his second spell in terms of putting out Hearts teams that are extremely hard to beat and on their day can beat anyone, often by a few goals. Instead he got carried away with DoF/manager/coach roles and over-thinking tactics. The DoF thing alone should be enough not to give him the dinosaur tag. Sad to say but having a DoF IS revolutionary for Scotland, even in 2020.

That has to be the best example of polishing a shite that I've ever seen on here 😂

"Interesting character" and "revolutionary".... even Goebbels would say you're laying it on a bit thick. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If you're going to have a go at Levein do so for the right reasons, don't just repeat things Hibs fans say.

Anyone who's followed his entire career knows he's been one of our more interesting characters and certainly one of our biggest thinkers. 

You can laugh but appointing Cathro and that whole DoF and coaching development/succession idea was extremely revolutionary for Scotland. As was going 4-6-0 whether it worked or not. Even the way he approached the D Utd role was quite forward thinking.

When I think dinosaur Hearts managers I think JJ, and JJ is my favourite ever Hearts manager. He's a guy who sticks with what he does well. I wish Levein had done that in his second spell in terms of putting out Hearts teams that are extremely hard to beat and on their day can beat anyone, often by a few goals. Instead he got carried away with DoF/manager/coach roles and over-thinking tactics. The DoF thing alone should be enough not to give him the dinosaur tag. Sad to say but having a DoF IS revolutionary for Scotland, even in 2020.

He copied 4-6-0, he copied DoF, he played EXACTLY the same style he played under Macdonald in the 80s. Most teams in the top league have a DoF/Sporting Director/Head of football etc. Hiring his pals is not revolutionary, Macphee was the only coach he hired who hadn’t worked for him. He himself said he knew what it took to succeed in Scottish Football (hoofball), he didn’t. You continue to see him as the Pep, Klopp, Bielsa if you wish but the vast majority of football fans recognise what a charlatan your hero is, unless you are actually are him 🤔😂. He will never work at a top flight football club ever again. I’ve wasted enough time on him, and you. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Yes, he mentioned that about Hargreaves. I think he was a bit disappointed that he chose England.

I think he could’ve played for Germany too, strange choice to pick England instead. 

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s big of you, all of us make mistakes. You could be thinking of Halkett who was a striker and turned into a CH, he’s still dangerous in both boxes. 

Are you not arguing with yourself here?

He did it with various CHs in his managerial career, the latest being Haring and Halkett.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He played with Hargreaves in the same youth team, great player who did well as it’s not easy to play at both ends. Dave Macpherson and Derek Johnson were good at it too. 
This imaginary signing of Halliday, even though he doesn’t want to stay in Scotland, is crap and hasn’t trained in 6 months and now back to Levein has me a bit tetchy as you say. 

If it’s imaginary why are you tetchy? 😄

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Are you not arguing with yourself here?

He did it with various CHs in his managerial career, the latest being Haring and Halkett.

I was talking about using CHs up front, not turning them into or back to a striker. 

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was talking about using CHs up front, not turning them into or back to a striker. 

Why shouldn't you use an ex forward up front?

Is there a law against it?

PS  If, as you rightly say, CH was a forward then it was someone else who turned him into a Centre Half.  Was that wrong too?

Edited by JamboAl

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

PS  If, as you rightly say, CH was a forward then it was someone else who turned him into a Centre Half.  Was that wrong too?

Oh ffs, as usual late to the party and confused. Did you sign out as TJ and back in as JA?
We were discussing Leveins dinosaur tactics, using a big guy up front to hoof it to. We were talking about Mckenna, a CH used firstly by Levein then others as a striker. You can play who ever you want up front, if it’s a big guy and you hit it long to his head it’s hoofball. That clear now?

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Nah, wasn’t a case of mistaken identity. It’s obviously more to do with misremembering something I’d read about him at the time. Didn’t have internet access at that time, so it would have been in a newspaper. I think it was an interview with the man himself. I remember he was speaking about Owen Hargreaves in the same interview, saying that (I think - in case I’m remembering this wrong too! 🙄), he had believed Hargreaves was going to choose to play for Canada rather than England, and that he was disappointed he changed his mind.

You’re a bit tetchy these last few days. 

Can you see why I get tetchy now?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I don’t think even Levein’s greatest critics would ever have thought he’d manage a team with players with Hearts the size of peas. 

Overly defensive and dull football was the concern but in the context of Levein’s career as a whole last season made no sense whatsoever.

I happen to think we did play pretty bright attacking football those first 10 games he had in that run.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don’t think even Levein’s greatest critics would ever have thought he’d manage a team with players with Hearts the size of peas. 

Overly defensive and dull football was the concern but in the context of Levein’s career as a whole last season made no sense whatsoever.

I happen to think we did play pretty bright attacking football those first 10 games he had in that run.

Probably because Naismith was directing affairs, more than the plan. 

He used to have a size chart on his wall, an ex player will tell you how JJ was sacked just as he was promised a new contract that didn’t materialise because he’s wee. Tall and hardworking are in the main what he was looking for, considering two of his only pals in football are Robbo and Colquhoun it’s weird. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Oh ffs, as usual late to the party and confused. Did you sign out as TJ and back in as JA?
We were discussing Leveins dinosaur tactics, using a big guy up front to hoof it to. We were talking about Mckenna, a CH used firstly by Levein then others as a striker. You can play who ever you want up front, if it’s a big guy and you hit it long to his head it’s hoofball. That clear now?

Firstly I am deeply sorry I dared to question your infallible views.

You struggle when you start to use these demeaning phrases.  A good manager will use his players to best effect and if that happens to be using the long ball to the big man, so be it.    I must say I enjoyed these 4 goals De Vries scored in a certain match.

Are you now saying if we score goals from long balls we should not now count them?

Personally I would like to see a team with flexibiliy and variety but unfortunately our financial resources have not quite beem able to provide that yet.

Lastly instead of all your pish about systems etc , do you have any info on transfers or are you going to regurgitate the same old drivel on every thread?

Guest ToqueJambo
47 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He copied 4-6-0, he copied DoF, he played EXACTLY the same style he played under Macdonald in the 80s. Most teams in the top league have a DoF/Sporting Director/Head of football etc. Hiring his pals is not revolutionary, Macphee was the only coach he hired who hadn’t worked for him. He himself said he knew what it took to succeed in Scottish Football (hoofball), he didn’t. You continue to see him as the Pep, Klopp, Bielsa if you wish but the vast majority of football fans recognise what a charlatan your hero is, unless you are actually are him 🤔😂. He will never work at a top flight football club ever again. I’ve wasted enough time on him, and you. 

Revolutionary for Scotland, obviously.

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Craig Gordon

Steven Naismith

Christophe Berra 

Michael Smith

Aidy White 

Liam Boyce 

Loic Damour 

Olly Lee

Colin Doyle

Jordan Roberts 

Josh Ginnelly

Have all played in the Championship or higher in England. You’ve had a shocker there mate. 

That’s 11 of our squad......and most of them wouldn’t get a game for the second biggest/best team in the country let alone 50 in the last 2 seasons.

Not to mention his numerous Europa League games.

Guest ToqueJambo
59 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

That has to be the best example of polishing a shite that I've ever seen on here 😂

"Interesting character" and "revolutionary".... even Goebbels would say you're laying it on a bit thick. 

I've followed his entire career from his debut with Hearts, so based on that I'm right. I'm not judging him based on two seasons. You can bring up childish WWII references if you like or you can name another figure (doesn't;t have to be a manager) in the last 40 years or so of Scottish domestic football who has forged his own path and tried new things the way Levein has.

I'd say Souness potentially but he was backed with unbelievable finance. Others who came in with new ideas, generally OF managers, tended not to last long. Paul Le Guen for example. Others like the Dutch boy who got an SFA role also tend not to last long, due to not being part of the club. They end up replaced with someone like Malky Murray 😅 Anyone who's not cut from that cloth gets ridiculed before they're barely in the door, eg for us Catho, McPhee, etc. Levein on the other hand was willing to give these guys a chance because he was always kind of on the outside of the club. He was a bit of a disruptor which I liked about him and that made him stand out.

Edited by ToqueJambo

36 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Eddie Thomson. Aberdeen bought him.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Firstly I am deeply sorry I dared to question your infallible views.

You struggle when you start to use these demeaning phrases.  A good manager will use his players to best effect and if that happens to be using the long ball to the big man, so be it.    I must say I enjoyed these 4 goals De Vries scored in a certain match.

Are you now saying if we score goals from long balls we should not now count them?

Personally I would like to see a team with flexibiliy and variety but unfortunately our financial resources have not quite beem able to provide that yet.

Lastly instead of all your pish about systems etc , do you have any info on transfers or are you going to regurgitate the same old drivel on every thread?

I’ve never struggled on here, especially with you. 
None of De Vries goals were from long balls, Kirks was. 
Levein had a huge budget second time around and failed to use it, tactically clueless, like you and your alter ego TJ. 
Sorry if football knowledge goes over your head.

Have you mentioned transfers? 

As for regurgitating the same shite on every thread you are the master, and maybe stop stalking me in them all and go and get some equality training about your homophobia that got you that ban and your posts deleted few months back. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Revolutionary for Scotland, obviously.

Yes and well remembered for it, not as fondly as you seem to think though. He’s ridiculed for it, it’s defined his whole football career. 
As for DoF being the first to copy something doesn’t make you a revolutionary. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Levein had a huge budget second time around and failed to use it, tactically clueless, like you and your alter ego TJ. 

As for regurgitating the same shite on every thread you are the master, and maybe stop stalking me in them all and go and get some equality training about your homophobia that got you that ban and your posts deleted few months back. 

Oh dear.

Stalking you?  Give over.

I've let you ramble all over this thread without intervention until a few posts ago and I'm supposedly stalking you.  Take a wee break and give us a break.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Virgil van Dijk, the world's best defender, was pushed up front for the Netherlands against Germany and he scored. Craig Levein though eh?

It was even a tactic planned in advance if they were chasing the game

i.jpeg

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I've followed his entire career from his debut with Hearts, so based on that I'm right. I'm not judging him based on two seasons. You can bring up childish WWII references if you like or you can name another figure (doesn't;t have to be a manager) in the last 40 years or so of Scottish domestic football who has forged his own path and tried new things the way Levein has.

I'd say Souness potentially but he was backed with unbelievable finance. Others who came in with new ideas, generally OF managers, tended not to last long. Paul Le Guen for example. Others like the Dutch boy who got an SFA role also tend not to last long, due to not being part of the club. They end up replaced with someone like Malky Murray 😅 Anyone who's not cut from that cloth gets ridiculed before they're barely in the door, eg for us Catho, McPhee, etc. Levein on the other hand was willing to give these guys a chance because he was always kind of on the outside of the club. He was a bit of a disruptor which I liked about him and that made him stand out.

Mackay not Murray. So because he gave himself a job as a DoF, used a system twice and employed a young coach that wasn’t up to it he was a revolutionary? Surely once you take the managers job at the SFA you’ve sold out? Neil Lennon is a “disruptor” too isn’t he, about the only manager less popular than Levein. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

:jjyay:

What’s all this? JamboAl not whiter than white?

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Virgil van Dijk, the world's best defender, was pushed up front for the Netherlands against Germany and he scored. Craig Levein though eh?

Did he start there?

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:jjyay:

What’s all this? JamboAl not whiter than white?

Yes he asked Last Laff is he thought he was a “queer”, I’m sure he will confirm it. Post was deleted and barred for a period, as his failure to deny it proves.Sham he got back. 

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

"Revolutionary" must be a euphemism for doing things that fail miserably.

Trying to make out that appointing Cathro and McPhee was a positive. It wasn't, it was an unmitigated disaster and just a case of Levein hiring folk with so little presence that he could maintain superiority over them. He hired a bunch of yes men losers and his bold strategy for the "football department" ended up with us in the championship with the 4th biggest budget in Scotland. 

I'm not saying that trying new things is wrong necessarily, but packaging up unprecedented levels of failure and incompetence and making out like caveman Scottish football wasn't ready for the Craig Levein revolution is just blatant nonsense. 

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes and well remembered for it, not as fondly as you seem to think though. He’s ridiculed for it, it’s defined his whole football career. 
As for DoF being the first to copy something doesn’t make you a revolutionary. 

Anyone who tries something different in Scotland is ridiculed, at least initially, especially Scottish football. It's one of Scotland's most cringey and least endearing traits, especially for a country with our historical reputation for inventiveness.

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

That’s 11 of our squad......and most of them wouldn’t get a game for the second biggest/best team in the country let alone 50 in the last 2 seasons.

Not to mention his numerous Europa League games.

You asked who in our squad would get to the level he’s played at. There’s 11 that already have without thinking. The majority of our senior players. 

If you are counting the Europa League as a marker then add another half a dozen. Did he get any Scotland caps at u19/u21? If not then chuck another few on the list. 

He was signed by a pish Rangers team then punted to f***** Azerbaijan! Then hung about until Gerrard got rid. 

Funny thing is I’m not even in the 100% against Halliday camp. He could be a decent signing. But folk on here making out he is something he isn’t and that it would be the second coming of Hartley are doing my head in. It screams of Rangers fanboys or Halliday’s dad!

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Mackay not Murray. So because he gave himself a job as a DoF, used a system twice and employed a young coach that wasn’t up to it he was a revolutionary? Surely once you take the managers job at the SFA you’ve sold out? Neil Lennon is a “disruptor” too isn’t he, about the only manager less popular than Levein. 

Appointing Ian Cathro was arguably the most revolutionary management appointment at any top club in Scottish football history. Most said so at the time. Cathro by the way wasn't and isn't in any way a proponent of hoofball. Neither was or is Robbie Neilson. They both want to play passing, possession football. Yet Levein wanted them to manage Hearts. Strange that someone so keen on hoofball would do that.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King

Just now, The Fonz said:

Trying to make out that appointing Cathro and McPhee was a positive. It wasn't, it was an unmitigated disaster and just a case of Levein hiring folk with so little presence that he could maintain superiority over them. He hired a bunch of yes men losers and his bold strategy for the "football department" ended up with us in the championship with the 4th biggest budget in Scotland. 

I'm not saying that trying new things is wrong necessarily, but packaging up unprecedented levels of failure and incompetence and making out like caveman Scottish football wasn't ready for the Craig Levein revolution is just blatant nonsense. 

I haven't really been following the debate going on here BUT...

To be fair to Levein, I think he is pretty forward thinking for Scottish Football.  He recently spoke of the problem of having so many referees from the greater glasgow area, stating that non-glasgow based teams would always be affected adversely if this went on.  This has been addressed in other sports - cricket being one.  

On his model for young head coaches, you need to include the success with Robbie Neilson - if not then you are picking and choosing the facts.  The model worked incredibly well for the first few years.  No one would argue mistakes weren't made by Levein, it is part and parcel of management, but you need to look at the whole picture.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Anyone who tries something different in Scotland is ridiculed, at least initially, especially Scottish football. It's one of Scotland's most cringey and least endearing traits, especially for a country with our historical reputation for inventiveness.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

When I think dinosaur Hearts managers I think JJ, and JJ is my favourite ever Hearts manager. He's a guy who sticks with what he does well. I wish Levein had done that in his second spell in terms of putting out Hearts teams that are extremely hard to beat and on their day can beat anyone, often by a few goals. Instead he got carried away with DoF/manager/coach roles and over-thinking tactics. He wasn't helped by injuries and whatever he seems to have lost after his health scare. The DoF thing alone should be enough not to give him the dinosaur tag. Sad to say but having a DoF IS revolutionary for Scotland, even in 2020.

Sorry mate I know this has been done to death and we are where we are but a football visionary that you thought Levein was does not squander close to £8 million on transfer fees, sign defensive and extremely limited midfielders like Damour, Bozanic and Whelan, ageing carthorses released by pub teams i.e. Maclean and get schooled in football tactics by the likes of Livingston, Hamilton and East Fife. The man was easily the worst manager in recent years and is solely to blame for the predicament we now find ourselves in. 

Edited by Class of 75

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

It worked for 2.5 years.

I'd never say appointing Cathro was a positive, just that it was revolutionary for Scotland - ie the opposite of being a dinosaur. If Cathro had accepted the original offer to manage the U20s and Neilson hadn't left when he did who knows. Cathro might have shown during his U20s spell what became obvious later that he's not a head coach.Unfortunately Levein's downfall started with giving Cathro the job when even he admitted it was too soon. Levein's ego took over there I think not for the first or last time.

However, it's always worth remembering just how much attention Cathro was getting at that time, including the media pushing him for the Rangers job. And to be fair on Cathro he's clearly a very good coach but will likely never be a head coach again.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Dia Liom said:

I haven't really been following the debate going on here BUT...

To be fair to Levein, I think he is pretty forward thinking for Scottish Football.  He recently spoke of the problem of having so many referees from the greater glasgow area, stating that non-glasgow based teams would always be affected adversely if this went on.  This has been addressed in other sports - cricket being one.  

On his model for young head coaches, you need to include the success with Robbie Neilson - if not then you are picking and choosing the facts.  The model worked incredibly well for the first few years.  No one would argue mistakes weren't made by Levein, it is part and parcel of management, but you need to look at the whole picture.

Robbie was a relative success, I'll grant you that. The referee thing I wouldn't say was in any way revolutionary, but not something I disagree with. 

The whole picture is that Levein was given a blank canvas and complete support from Budge after he pitched his 5 year plan for "the football department". The end result was that after some success with Robbie, the arse fell out with it and we saw; awful results, woeful performances and abysmal recruitment. All culminating in the worst Hearts team in history (last season). 

You can pick out nuggets like Lafferty or Haring or beating Celtic 4-0, but there can't be any doubt that he's been the main architect of this complete shit show. 

I wish I could be so incredibly inept at my job and have deflect criticism by claiming to be some sort of genius revolutionary 😂

Honestly. Really wanted it to work with Levein as he is a good Hearts man and club legend. Supported him until that Motherwell defeat at home.

In hindsight you just have to look at the trail of destruction and the waste of resources left in his wake. He and Budge as well as she is Chair, have almost ruined this club. We're in the Championship because the pair of them couldn't run a feckin bath.

We've pissed away probably 10million on shite players, coaches and an over budget stand which isn't even complete. If it wasn't for our kind benefactors and our loyal support, we'd be down the shitter again already. 

The fact we're mincing about the Championship tells you everything you need to know about how Levein and the board have run this club. There is absolutely no getting away from it. 

Thankfully, Budge is merely Chair in name only. We have a new Chief Exec who hopefully knows what he is doing. A man that actually knows his shit in JJ as DoF/Recruitment or whatever he does. A manager with a proven track record and solid coaching team who are clearing the decks. Hopefully these guys will turn this shite fest of the last 5 years around. 

Edited by Cruyff

49 minutes ago, DS98 said:

You asked who in our squad would get to the level he’s played at. There’s 11 that already have without thinking. The majority of our senior players. 

If you are counting the Europa League as a marker then add another half a dozen. Did he get any Scotland caps at u19/u21? If not then chuck another few on the list. 

He was signed by a pish Rangers team then punted to f***** Azerbaijan! Then hung about until Gerrard got rid. 

Funny thing is I’m not even in the 100% against Halliday camp. He could be a decent signing. But folk on here making out he is something he isn’t and that it would be the second coming of Hartley are doing my head in. It screams of Rangers fanboys or Halliday’s dad!

Folk on here are making out he’s a terrible footballer though.........

I’m merely pointing out that very few of our players will play 50 top flight matches for a club the size of Rangers. 

You think Lee, Walker, Damour, Garruchio or White would have racked up that amount of games ahead of Halliday for Rangers over the past couple of seasons ?

The simple and short answer is absolutely not.

He’ll improve our squad and anyone who says differently is a half-wit.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Honestly. Really wanted it to work with Levein as he is a good Hearts man and club legend. Supported him until that Motherwell defeat at home.

In hindsight you just have to look at the trail of destruction and the waste of resources left in his wake. He and Budge as well as she is Chair, have almost ruined this club. We're in the Championship because the pair of them couldn't run a feckin bath.

We've pissed away probably 10million on shite players, coaches and an over budget stand which isn't even complete. If it wasn't for our kind benefactors and our loyal support, we'd be down the shitter again already. 

The fact we're mincing about the Championship tells you everything you need to know about how Levein and the board have run this club. There is absolutely no getting away from it. 

Thankfully, Budge is merely Chair in name only. We have a new Chief Exec who hopefully knows what he is doing. A man that actually knows his shit in JJ as DoF/Recruitment or whatever he does. A manager with a proven track record and solid coaching team who are clearing the decks. Hopefully these guys will turn this shite fest of the last 5 years around. 

Perfectly put and also all true 👏👏👏

Leveins Battalion
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Spot on.

Phil D. Corners
9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

i wanted it to work out too. 

Dare I say the manager job and DoF role are too much for one person. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Of course they are. But it was Budge’s decision to do that - to run an interview process and then decide that actually, Levein was the man for the job all along (and nothing to do with the fact that other candidates were turning her down because she wouldn’t change the structure of the club).

Phil D. Corners
9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Of course they are. But it was Budge’s decision to do that - to run an interview process and then decide that actually, Levein was the man for the job all along (and nothing to do with the fact that other candidates were turning her down because she wouldn’t change the structure of the club).

What was it that people wanted to change? 

im interested if it’s now changed? 

23 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

That was a major turning point in our demise. If we had made a good appointment, Cathro might have merely been a bump in the road and CL would probably still be DoF. He frittered away all his responsibility to a coaching staff that wasn't fit for purpose.