Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

Jingle Bells
4 hours ago, sac said:

Wish I hadn’t looked at his YouTube highlights.

He may be the type of winger to bring the best out of Boyce.

Time will tell if he is good enough to do that.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

24 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Anybody underwhelmed should remember the summer we signed Juanma,Oshaniwa,Augustyn etc 🤓

Happy these day are over.

Good point. 

The guys we sign will most likely not be Hearts quality but should do a job in the championship.

I would have given him a 12 month deal with an option to extend. The real rebuild will happen next summer, assuming that we go up. 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I never excluded or pretended that injuries don't happen. I know we had more than our fair share of them and that makes the Manager's job more difficult and sometimes players have to play out of position if you don't have cover in a particular position.

I was liking the approach that Robbie seems to be taking by making it clear early on the positions he wants to fill and the type of players he wants.

He is obviously clearing the way for his new recruits by moving on some of those players that he doesn't think will do a job for us in these areas. That doesn't mean of course that these players won't go on and do well at another club.

The point is that he has a clear vision of how he want to play the game to achieve a goal and he knows the type of players he wants to fulfill that and feed the best players we already have.

Good.  That clears that up.

Just because he tells the world what he wants doesn't necessarily make them the right signings and I think if Levein/MacPhee/Stendel had been with us they too would have been clearing the way.  Not so sure about MacPhee but CL and DS would also have had a clear vision although less open about it.

16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Good.  That clears that up.

Just because he tells the world what he wants doesn't necessarily make them the right signings and I think if Levein/MacPhee/Stendel had been with us they too would have been clearing the way.  Not so sure about MacPhee but CL and DS would also have had a clear vision although less open about it.

So if CL and DS were less open about their vision how would you know? Did they both confide in you  ?

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

So if CL and DS were less open about their vision how would you know? Did they both confide in you  ?

Bit of a stupid question, is it not?

If they were indeed less open they would be less likely to confide in many people, let alone me.

Some managers know exactly what they want but don't broadcast it as it can sometimes compromise their bargaining power.  Sometimes they know the player they want but can't get him at that time and Roberts is a classic example.  If reports are correct we wanted him before but didn't get him - we have him now.  RN wanted Frear for DUFC and didn't get him - he might now.

FWIW if I were you I'd be tempted to keep my powder dry re Robbie.  He seems to be doing what most Hearts want him to do but ultimately it's what happens ON the field that counts.

21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Bit of a stupid question, is it not?

If they were indeed less open they would be less likely to confide in many people, let alone me.

Some managers know exactly what they want but don't broadcast it as it can sometimes compromise their bargaining power.  Sometimes they know the player they want but can't get him at that time and Roberts is a classic example.  If reports are correct we wanted him before but didn't get him - we have him now.  RN wanted Frear for DUFC and didn't get him - he might now.

FWIW if I were you I'd be tempted to keep my powder dry re Robbie.  He seems to be doing what most Hearts want him to do but ultimately it's what happens ON the field that counts.

I am extremely happy that you are not me AL.

Yes I agree that it is what happens on the field that counts ultimately but the early signs are encouraging.

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am extremely happy that you are not me AL.

Yes I agree that it is what happens on the field that counts ultimately but the early signs are encouraging.

So am I - definitely.

As I said he's doing what most Hearts would have wanted/expected.  Mind you we only really have had one RN signing so far as CG was well touted to be coming before RN was appointed.  I can't say I am unhappy re the departures with the possible exception of Morrison who showed some promise but lacked the consistency.  Still, we can't spend our time looking back, can we Davy?

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's weird arguably Scotland's first or 2nd choice RB (I don't rate him that way but he seems to be) is without a club at the start of the season.

Which is why we should get him in now before the inevitable happens and he heads of to Fester Rd or Pittodrie, which it may well if we don't go in for him.

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Which is why we should get him in now before the inevitable happens and he heads of to Fester Rd or Pittodrie, which it may well if we don't go in for him.

Aberdeen have Hernandez who they paid a decent fee for in January and looked ok against Rangers and Shay Logan

Hibs have McGinn and Gray and if they play 3 at the back, will most likely deploy Boyle rwb

We should definitely be in for him. Play O’Donnell right back and Smith centre back. Smith will probably leave anyway.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Totally man. I dunno where it's come from? Vlad era?

We sign a lower league English player - **** sake Hearts!!

Motherwell sign one who turns out to be a star - **** sake Hearts!!

Maybe Motherwell's scouting and coaching is better than ours. Wouldn't be difficult. Maybe they sign a decent prospect while we sign a Cole Stockton and maybe their coaching and training improves their players.

3 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Dont know much about roberts, However I've got to be honest and say i am a little bit underwhelmed with this.

Good luck to him though hopefully he can surprise us and do well i.e i hope he turns out to be another danny grainger for us.

He isn't a left back so hope to god he doesn't play there like Grainger did.

This transfer window is going to be an odd one, and I can't imagine many more players will be signed from outside of Scotland.

Since some clubs and players are trying their absolute best to get football postponed in Scotland entirely, are many players going to choose to join Hearts in a reduced-number-of-game Championship that aren't even guaranteed to play?

The Kingslayer

Since Roberts played with Gilligham last season, and Olly Lee was on loan there, I think we can assume he came recommended

35 minutes ago, tian447 said:

This transfer window is going to be an odd one, and I can't imagine many more players will be signed from outside of Scotland.

Since some clubs and players are trying their absolute best to get football postponed in Scotland entirely, are many players going to choose to join Hearts in a reduced-number-of-game Championship that aren't even guaranteed to play?

It makes the hateful decision to demote us all the more rancid and despicable.

Perhaps a few games plated with no promotion from the championship, they are fit for it.

A greater manifestation of self-centred delinquents’, horde of charlatans, malevolent and loathsome cretins one could possibly not hope for ever to run the game.

Edited by alfajambo

Borders Jambo
24 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

How can you be underwhelmed by someone you don't know much about ? 

Not a dig, greg. A genuine question.

I trust our manager and JJ to sign the right players and I'm confident they will do so. 

This.

I can still remember being delighted by Dennis Wyness and ambivalent about the arrival of Paul Hartley. 

I was so wrong.

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Anybody underwhelmed should remember the summer we signed Juanma,Oshaniwa,Augustyn etc 🤓

Happy these day are over.

Not sure what you mean here?

2 of the 3 you mentioned contributed to a 3rd place finish. 

The Apprentice
58 minutes ago, The Kingslayer said:

Since Roberts played with Gilligham last season, and Olly Lee was on loan there, I think we can assume he came recommended

He was in talks with us when Levein was in charge but ended up signing for Ipswich instead, so the club have been aware of him for a while.

Doctor Laxslax
44 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Not sure what you mean here?

2 of the 3 you mentioned contributed to a 3rd place finish. 

Thought similar, I actually really liked Augustyn bar the obvious match that I wouldn't like to mention.

For the most part he put a shift in.

Juanma, however, that was the only part he was missing.

And where is he now...?

He had a great opportunity here and fluffed it, wouldn't say he was a poor signing though.

His debut had us believing quite the opposite.

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Which is why I still can’t believe we never received any sort of compensation whatsoever 

Unknown user
55 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

This.

I can still remember being delighted by Dennis Wyness and ambivalent about the arrival of Paul Hartley. 

I was so wrong.

We all were TBF

5 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

This has to be make or break season for our youngsters that have been on the fringes.

I am not sure the modern day youngster can keep up the appetite to sit on the bench or push themselves to be better.  Would be glad to be proven wrong, but, Irving, Cochrane, McDonald, Brandon, etc etc  need to show themselves now

They have been on the fringes because the previous management team bought a stupid amount of players and blocked the pathway for them to continue to flourish. 

Cochrane\McDonald were the best 2 young players in the country by a mile and they should have been an integral part going forward, instead we bought Bozzy, Whelan, Walker , Mulraney...list goes on and didnt play them. Look at Aberdeen with Ferguson, put him in, played him and now reaping the benefits same with Hastie\Turnbull at Motherwell.

In terms of pushing themselves I think unless you have solid proof of that then I think thats a shit comment.

The problem we have is if we dont play them we lose them and that would be a nightmare because these 2 are going to play at a very high level. We have wasted 2 years of their development lets hope the current management team see their huge potential and get them back in the team. A decent run of games to get up to speed and new contracts for both of them. Lets start utilising the clear talent we have coming through from that age group. I include Connor Smith and Chris Hamilton in that.

Rick Sanchez

Robbie has never even hinted at needing a right back. Makes you wonder with the salary cap whether Smith might actually stay if he can't get a Championship team.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Laxslax said:

Thought similar, I actually really liked Augustyn bar the obvious match that I wouldn't like to mention.

For the most part he put a shift in.

Juanma, however, that was the only part he was missing.

And where is he now...?

He had a great opportunity here and fluffed it, wouldn't say he was a poor signing though.

His debut had us believing quite the opposite.

I thought Juanma was not bad considering it was his first season abroad. He was really frustrating though. 

Just thought it was a strange period of time to reference "happy these days are over". If the Cathro January window was mentioned, I'd have agreed. 

I do like a mystery foreign signing. 

Edited by Ari Gold

14 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I thought Juanma was not bad considering it was his first season abroad. He was really frustrating though. 

Just thought it was a strange period of time to reference "happy these days are over". If the Cathro January window was mentioned, I'd have agreed. 

I do like a mystery foreign signing. 

Juanma was just one of many strikers we never used properly due to the service they received, ie the ball played up the air. He was also wrongly blamed for going offside. On many occasions that happened because a teammate took that long to release the pass. He had issues but you could see he got more and more peed off with the service and that happened under RN. RN also made the point when we signed Abiola that he was a better all round player than Sow and played on the shoulder of the defender. What service did he receive? The same as Juanma. Hopefully RN has learned from those days, also not being influenced by CL.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Borders Jambo said:

This.

I was so wrong.

So many examples like that. Wayne Foster, for example, just appeared out of nowhere. Mike Galloway and Neil Berry the same. Imagine the seethe these days if we'd signed Andy Kirk and not played him for about 2 years after paying 50 grand for him, which is what we did and he was eventually a great player for us. It would be "wage thief" Kirk all over the shop today and "Wayne who?". New players are written off before they've kicked a ball these days.

Edited by ToqueJambo

58 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Robbie has never even hinted at needing a right back. Makes you wonder with the salary cap whether Smith might actually stay if he can't get a Championship team.

I personally think Smith will want to go but it depends on whether anyone wants him. 🤷

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I personally think Smith will want to go but it depends on whether anyone wants him. 🤷

Don't mention him by name. 😍

9 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Looks big and strong and pacey, which is a good start, but his right leg is clearly only for standing on.

I dont mind that, we seem to have abundance of wingers who have neither and trickle there crosses into the first defenders arse.

Cant say much about Roberts but looks to have a good cross, likes to go past players. For the position were in it's a good signing from where I'm sat. 

50 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Tend to agree. I hope we aren’t caught short by late transfers out. 

Edited by GinRummy

BackOfTheNet

With the talk of YouTube videos has to be said Roberts has quite a few, seemingly his agents have been making highlight videos for every one of his seasons. But I think to get a better idea of what he may bring this season it makes sense to see his highlights from his time at Crawley, as that will be closer to the level we’re at than when he was at Ipswich.

Auld Reekin'
15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Rudi might as well have amputated his right foot. For all the use that gave.

Well, it kept him upright which enabled him to score more goals than otherwise*, I'm sure.   :thumbsup:

(*Though, knowing him, he'd have reached a respectable tally with diving headers   :) )

2 hours ago, Naisysback said:

They have been on the fringes because the previous management team bought a stupid amount of players and blocked the pathway for them to continue to flourish. 

Cochrane\McDonald were the best 2 young players in the country by a mile and they should have been an integral part going forward, instead we bought Bozzy, Whelan, Walker , Mulraney...list goes on and didnt play them. Look at Aberdeen with Ferguson, put him in, played him and now reaping the benefits same with Hastie\Turnbull at Motherwell.

In terms of pushing themselves I think unless you have solid proof of that then I think thats a shit comment.

The problem we have is if we dont play them we lose them and that would be a nightmare because these 2 are going to play at a very high level. We have wasted 2 years of their development lets hope the current management team see their huge potential and get them back in the team. A decent run of games to get up to speed and new contracts for both of them. Lets start utilising the clear talent we have coming through from that age group. I include Connor Smith and Chris Hamilton in that.

Agree with what you say Naisy.

Youngsters pushing themselves wasn’t specifically aimed at our youngsters and I was thinking back when listening to John Collins about training attitudes in Scotland compared to France. Robbie Neilson will hopefully get them back in track after the last two years as you rightly pointed out 

1 hour ago, David Black said:

Juanma was just one of many strikers we never used properly due to the service they received, ie the ball played up the air. He was also wrongly blamed for going offside. On many occasions that happened because a teammate took that long to release the pass. He had issues but you could see he got more and more peed off with the service and that happened under RN. RN also made the point when we signed Abiola that he was a better all round player than Sow and played on the shoulder of the defender. What service did he receive? The same as Juanma. Hopefully RN has learned from those days, also not being influenced by CL.

When I was at my FOH plot ceremony Bjorn Johnsen was giving Levein grief about what 'Stevie' was asking him to do and that it wasn't his strengths.

That said he also went for extra portions of haggis, neeps, tatties and cans of Irn-Bru.

Edited by DETTY29

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's another year to forget,  just get the job done and move on. 

One cluster **** has led to another and another and another. 

Here we are signing no marks and satisfied he will do a job in the Championship as if we should be relaxed about that outcome 

allystrachan

Doyle is the worst keeper I have seen at hearts. My next door neighbours are killie fans so I look forward to hearing how bad he has been for them. 

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Doyle is the worst keeper I have seen at hearts. My next door neighbours are killie fans so I look forward to hearing how bad he has been for them. 

Surely Perreira?

Doyle is ganting though

ooh-aah-cantona
18 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Doyle away

A Republican Tory goalkeeper.

A bit like Tommy Robinson attending a St Patrick’s p*ss up in Derry.

Another wage freed up but I imagine we will still be paying part of the salary.

20 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Doyle away

Hallelujah 

Oh wait...it's only temporary. Balls.

Edited by neilnunb

8 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Edited by campbell
Miss quote

8 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Craig Nelson, Joel Pereira and Eduardas Kurskis 👍

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

He's better than Jp so unsure how you came to that conclusion. 

2 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Craig Nelson, Joel Pereira and Eduardas Kurskis 👍

I'll raise you a Brian Wilson. A free from Arbroath IIRC.

upgotheheads
15 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Nah, Pereira by a long way. Doyle wasn't great but got punished for one howler when Pereira made a couple every game.