Black Lives Matter Protest.

Ainsley Harriott

MR INCREDIBLE
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Savages? Nice choice of words there. 

How would you describe them and the looters/rioters in America. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

50 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

As an aside, when did the phrase 'BAME' come into modern vocabulary, the news and msm?

I've been married to a woman of ethnic minority for 20 years now, and neither of us, nor her family or friends had heard this phrase up until this current pandemic.

There's a bit about it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43831279

I used it because it currently appears to be the commonly accepted term for ethnic minorities. I imagine however that it's tough to find a term whereby folk will understand what you're talking about without causing offence at the same time, as the article touches on.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

As a 49ers fan I would dispute that, our QB is nothing special and can’t really affect the game as Kaepernick could. We are a great running team and his play action is amazing but when we need to pass we struggle, as the Super bowl showed.

The fact that nobody has given him a chance shows most teams owners, none of whom have backed BLM in any way, shows they do care about the colour of your skin. I used to be on the FB fans page and the arguments make this place look sane.

Fair enough but I find Garoppolo a much better quarterback.

An opinion nothing to do with race.

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It's been around for a while  Always slightly annoyed me that non-black ethnic minorities are reduced in effect to "and others" despite outnumbering "black"  people. And of course black has for a while been synonymous with non-white also a bit controversially for some. And BAME is To  top it all a pretty ugly  word or acronym . Or whatever it is.

It is both a word and an acronym.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Frustrated? Angry? Tired? Justified! It’s 2020 ffs and this shit is still happening. 

Francis Albert
48 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, once you start these things where does it stop?

It won't. Statue of Columbus pulled down in   the States. Next the burning of history books I suppose. 

Triumph of the twitter and social media generation.

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Oppressed I think is the word. In their minds at least.

Edited by Francis Albert

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, benny said:

Fair enough but I find Garoppolo a much better quarterback.

An opinion nothing to do with race.

He’s average really, a steady Eddie. A Michael Smith as opposed to a Steven Naismith if you will. 

6 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

How would you describe the police officers who have committed acts of unwarranted violence against protestors during the demonstrations?

Because, whichever word you choose, you should choose it for individuals on both sides who have committed unwarranted acts of violence. If you're happy enough to show that consistency, then that's fine.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Frustrated? Angry? Tired? Justified! It’s 2020 ffs and this shit is still happening. 

Looting? Justified?

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s average really, a steady Eddie. A Michael Smith as opposed to a Steven Naismith if you will. 

Aye and Michael Smith had a better season than Steven Naismith.😂

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed.

I was being sarcastic. The oppressed looting stores on Fifth Avenue?

MR INCREDIBLE
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They have killed about a dozen people.... Is that justified.... Mind you not many people would be aware of this as there has been next to no media coverage. 

One of the dead was a black retired police officer who by all accounts was a pillar of society.... Not like the career criminal were making all the fuss about. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

They have killed about a dozen people.... Is that justified.... Mind you not many people would be aware of this as there has been next to no media coverage. 

One of the dead was a black retired police officer who by all accounts was a pillar of society.... Not like the career criminal were making all the fuss about. 

That’s awful.

9 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Source?

Jambo-Jimbo
22 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It won't. Statue of Columbus pulled down in   the States. Next the burning of history books I suppose. 

Triumph of the twitter and social media generation.

They'd be as well to, as they haven't learnt anything from history,  sad sad times ahead I fear.

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Looting? Justified?

I don’t know every single person who looted obviously but if you are oppressed and you can’t feed your family then I understand if the desperation get the better of you. 
Imagine if like South Africa the UK decided that smoking and drinking was the cause of many of its people problems, then during lockdown it banned the sale of these items. Looting on an unprecedented scale would occur. 

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

I can’t find anything about that do you have a link? So you think it’s ok that a petty criminal should die at the hands of the police?

Just watching Sky news, have we all now to head outside at 6pm on a Wednesday and "take a knee"?

Also just heard a guy speaking about the murder of George Floyd by the police and that it's a daily occurrence in the USA, is it?

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They'd be as well to, as they haven't learnt anything from history,  sad sad times ahead I fear.

Who’s they? There’s many well educated folk who are behind these protests. Did you know who Dundas was for instance before this blew up? The statues we pass every day are totally out of date and there needs to be a review of them all. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Just watching Sky news, have we all now to head outside at 6pm on a Wednesday and "take a knee"?

Also just heard a guy speaking about the murder of George Floyd by the police and that it's a daily occurrence in the USA, is it?

Nonsense, it’s about 3 a day. Black people are the most likely to suffer this fate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Its up to you if you want to take a knee, it’s getting back up that I will need a hand with 😜.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I was being sarcastic. The oppressed looting stores on Fifth Avenue?

I know, some cheap Chanel what’s the problem? Victimless crime. Love it.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

The only time I took a knee and I have suffered for it.

Marriage.

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nonsense, it’s about 3 a day. Black people are the most likely to suffer this fate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Its up to you if you want to take a knee, it’s getting back up that I will need a hand with 😜.

Wow, those are shocking numbers.

More whites killed by the police than blacks.

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, benny said:

Aye and Michael Smith had a better season than Steven Naismith.😂

As did Jimmy 

Edited by Pasquale for King

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What makes you think someone of colour would disrupt your workforce? You hire the best person for the job no matter what the colour of their skin is, the point is people of colour are not even given the opportunity because of thoughts like you’ve intimated up there. You could say the same about working class folk or the disabled, positive discrimination has its merits.

As for Kaepernick you are probably correct but do you think there are 90-100 better QBs than him in the NFL? He should most likely be a back up somewhere, he has been discriminated against.

I commend you if that was a lovely attempt at trying to twist my words in to saying I wouldn’t employ someone of colour. If it wasn’t, then maybe you should go back and read it again properly. I do reckon however, that it wasn’t the latter and you knew fine well that I was referring to Kaepernick being the disruptive force. Even if he didn’t intend to, it had got to the stage that it would have been impossible for him not to, no matter which franchise had signed him. This is why he wasn’t and still hasn’t been picked up. If he had the talent of a Wilson, Newton, Jackson, Watson etc, a team would definitely have taken the risk. However, he isn’t that good, so he isn’t worth the drama that would have come with signing him. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Screenshot_20200610-182117.jpg

That’s a picture, what does the link say? What about the other 12?

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Wow, those are shocking numbers.

More whites killed by the police than blacks.

Yet it says Blacks are more likely than any other race 🤷🏾‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yet it says Blacks are more likely than any other race 🤷🏾‍♂️

Maybe a reason for that.

The focus is too much on the colour of the skin, most crimes are committed by poorer classes and blacks make up a higher percentage of the poor unfortunately.

Screenshot_20200610-182543.png

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I commend you if that was a lovely attempt at trying to twist my words in to saying I wouldn’t employ someone of colour. If it wasn’t, then maybe you should go back and read it again properly. I do reckon however, that it wasn’t the latter and you knew fine well that I was referring to Kaepernick being the disruptive force. Even if he didn’t intend to, it had got to the stage that it would have been impossible for him not to, no matter which franchise had signed him. This is why he wasn’t and still hasn’t been picked up. If he had the talent of a Wilson, Newton, Jackson, Watson etc, a team would definitely have taken the risk. However, he isn’t that good, so he isn’t worth the drama that would have come with signing him. 

I’m not sure how he’s disruptive, did any of his team mates criticise him or deny he had the right to kneel? Many other players have since taken the same stance and will do so en masse next season.  In fact they actually praised him and said he should still be playing, but what do they know compared to you though. 
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/ex-teammates-kaepernick-should-not-be-unemployed

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Maybe a reason for that.

The focus is too much on the colour of the skin, most crimes are committed by poorer classes and blacks make up a higher percentage of the poor unfortunately.

Yeah that’s pretty obvious really, most crime is committed by poor people. What I meant was how it says black people are more likely to be killed than whites and the numbers show differently. I can’t even imagine what it’s like to live in that situation. 

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Who’s they? There’s many well educated folk who are behind these protests. Did you know who Dundas was for instance before this blew up? The statues we pass every day are totally out of date and there needs to be a review of them all. 

Who's they?  It's a collective term for many people.

Equally there are many educated people against these protests.

Henry Dundas, yes I'd heard of him before all of this.

Statues being totally out of date, what do you want to change them every few years or so, maybe to represent modern thinking, like who for example?

MR INCREDIBLE

George Floyd protests Wiki page. 

Sorry I was wrong..... 21 dead but not a peep from our left wing media. 

Screenshot_20200610-185016.jpg

luckyBatistuta
32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not sure how he’s disruptive, did any of his team mates criticise him or deny he had the right to kneel? Many other players have since taken the same stance and will do so en masse next season.  In fact they actually praised him and said he should still be playing, but what do they know compared to you though. 
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/ex-teammates-kaepernick-should-not-be-unemployed

You’ve not read my post again. It got to the stage that it didn’t matter what he did. The media would not have stopped stoking the fire. He was the one everyone was focusing on with taking a knee during the anthem. People were cancelling their season tickets and sales were down as some fans felt he was disrespecting the flag. No matter which franchise he joined, the same would have happened and the owners obviously didn’t think he was good enough to take all that on. Whether they were right or wrong is not the point to some. I’m pretty sure that he wouldn’t be getting 100% of whichever dressing room he had joined being in total agreement with the way he went about his protest either. As for the link...two teammates🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Statues over a hundred years old tend to be out of date.Like most things over 100 years old or for many of the protesters most things over 20 years old. Like I suppose 99% of people in Edinburgh Dundas is to me a street in Edinburgh. Until yesterday I had never even connected it with Melville's column or other places named after Melville. I very much doubt even a few dozen people have ever been remotely concerned about or offended by those names. 

On the other hand most educated people will have learnt nothing new about the evils of slavery in the last week.

Francis Albert
55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s a picture, what does the link say? What about the other 12?

It is a wild guess but the combination of the headline and picture suggests the poor guy was killed.

Francis Albert
52 minutes ago, graygo said:

Maybe a reason for that.

It is also a fact that the proportion of black police officers in the US (over 13%) roughly matches or slightly exceeds the proportion of black people in the population. Unlike in the UK where the proportion is about 1 in 100 compared to 3 in 100 black people in the general population.. 

Unlike UK police whenever a police officer in the US pulls up a car or someone in the street or elsewhere he has to be aware of a high probability  that he may be facing someone who is armed. Hence the much more aggressive and often physical approach of US police. Lie on the ground face down, hands behind backs, handcuffs. There is a serious issue with discipline and racism in some places and a minority of police officers but the blanket condemnation of police officers, white and black, by the "activists" is unwarranted. 

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You’ve not read my post again. It got to the stage that it didn’t matter what he did. The media would not have stopped stoking the fire. He was the one everyone was focusing on with taking a knee during the anthem. People were cancelling their season tickets and sales were down as some fans felt he was disrespecting the flag. No matter which franchise he joined, the same would have happened and the owners obviously didn’t think he was good enough to take all that on. Whether they were right or wrong is not the point to some. I’m pretty sure that he wouldn’t be getting 100% of whichever dressing room he had joined being in total agreement with the way he went about his protest either. As for the link...two teammates🤷🏼‍♂️

I didn’t need to read it again, the use of the word disruptive doesn’t cover what you’ve now said. More a distraction or a liability for the team moving forward.
The reasons you’ve given are all valid, but how football players are like that and someone usually takes them on. How many teams has Balottelli had for instance? The perception will always be that Kaepernick was black listed, if he had been given a try out by a few teams then they could’ve said, like you, that he’s not up to it. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Who's they?  It's a collective term for many people.

Equally there are many educated people against these protests.

Henry Dundas, yes I'd heard of him before all of this.

Statues being totally out of date, what do you want to change them every few years or so, maybe to represent modern thinking, like who for example?

I gave a few instances of people more worthy of a statue, it seems to me fair enough to change them if necessary. There are no statues of Hitler yet we know all about him. Stalin is seen as just as bad and has monuments in 16 countries. Churchill has monuments in 18 countries and is seen as a murderer. Saville had a wooden statue in a swimming pool taken down. I don’t see the problem with updating these statues.

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Statues over a hundred years old tend to be out of date.Like most things over 100 years old or for many of the protesters most things over 20 years old. Like I suppose 99% of people in Edinburgh Dundas is to me a street in Edinburgh. Until yesterday I had never even connected it with Melville's column or other places named after Melville. I very much doubt even a few dozen people have ever been remotely concerned about or offended by those names. 

On the other hand most educated people will have learnt nothing new about the evils of slavery in the last week.

Probably more than a dozen but yes most folk don’t know or care, so why the big deal about replacing it with someone more deserving.

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It is a wild guess but the combination of the headline and picture suggests the poor guy was killed.

Devil is in the detail though, which is why he posted a picture instead of the link and ignored tje question about the other 12.

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

George Floyd protests Wiki page. 

Sorry I was wrong..... 21 dead but not a peep from our left wing media. 

Screenshot_20200610-185016.jpg

Left wing media? The mirror? Can you name any others? A bit of detail about the 21 deaths would help too.

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I didn’t need to read it again, the use of the word disruptive doesn’t cover what you’ve now said. More a distraction or a liability for the team moving forward.
The reasons you’ve given are all valid, but how football players are like that and someone usually takes them on. How many teams has Balottelli had for instance? The perception will always be that Kaepernick was black listed, if he had been given a try out by a few teams then they could’ve said, like you, that he’s not up to it. 

I’m not disagreeing with you on the fact he’s not been better than some QB’s. Owners just don’t think he’s good enough to justify the drama and disruption it would cause. I’ve already said it, if he was a better player, he would be playing. Whichever franchise signed him, would have had the same problems the 49ers had. Not every player on that team or fan of that club would have accepted him kneeling in front of the flag during the National anthem. It’s not because he’s black, it’s because of his chosen way to protest on the football field disrespecting the flag(to some) I’m not offended, it’s a fekn bit  of material flapping in the wind, but it’s a bigger thing for Americans.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not disagreeing with you on the fact he’s not been better than some QB’s. Owners just don’t think he’s good enough to justify the drama and disruption it would cause. I’ve already said it, if he was a better player, he would be playing. Whichever franchise signed him, would have had the same problems the 49ers had. Not every player on that team or fan of that club would have accepted him kneeling in front of the flag during the National anthem. It’s not because he’s black, it’s because of his chosen way to protest on the football field disrespecting the flag(to some) I’m not offended, it’s a fekn bit  of material flapping in the wind, but it’s a bigger thing for Americans.

Definitely. It’s only been a thing for about 15 years though as their government gave them tax breaks to play the anthem before games. I think that’s one reason Trump was annoyed. The billionaire owners didn’t like him telling them what to do as most of them supported him and put him in the White House. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Merriam Webster changing the definition of racism in their dictionary to cover systemic racism. Great that these lasting changes, however small, are emerging from this.