• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

jack D and coke
47 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The trouble is, nobody is squeaky clean.

Anthony Joshua fought in Saudi Arabia and did his bit for sports washing, purely for the coin. He doesn’t get to lecture any of us.

AJ is also a big misogynist. Hypocrite ***** that he is. 

Francis Albert

Trump won by 9% in Texas and probably will win there again. Suspect most of the young people in that Austin crowd didn't bother to vote. Demonstrating  no doubt makes many of them feel good and virtuous. Voting and even more so campaigning and supporting more decent candidates is less immediately rewarding I suppose. But that could just possibly  actually change things. 

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Trump won by 9% in Texas and probably will win there again. Suspect most of the young people in that Austin crowd didn't bother to vote. Demonstrating  no doubt makes many of them feel good and virtuous. Voting and even more so campaigning and supporting more decent candidates is less immediately rewarding I suppose. But that could just possibly  actually change things. 

I think this election will see a bigger turnout than last time despite voting restrictions being put in place by the Republicans. I also think Biden will pick a black running mate and more will vote to stop Trump than cared to last time.

Folk saying these protests won't change anything but I think the opposite. It already has, it's made it a world discussion point despite there being an ongoing pandemic.

And I know what Biden is and has done, but there is clear appetite for some change in the Democrats that I think will last longer than just an election campaign.

We'll see. 2020 going to be some year in the history books one way or another.

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How the hell has that thing stayed there until now? Unreal.

Not enough white people being outraged in that area I guess. That's what these protests (especially online) are changing as shit like that can't be defended anymore, especially with the power of social media. There's a lot people maybe didn't know (statues, street names etc) that is now being highlighted like never before.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, kila said:

Not enough white people being outraged in that area I guess. That's what these protests (especially online) are changing as shit like that can't be defended anymore, especially with the power of social media. There's a lot people maybe didn't know (statues, street names etc) that is now being highlighted like never before.

There must be plenty inappropriate statues.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

There must be a few Thatcher statues somewhere that should be binned.

Strike while the irons hot :lol: 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Trump tweets that the 75 year old man hospitalised by the police was probably an Antifa agent.

:trippin:

:rofl:

AlimOzturk

Thought these were peaceful protests? Just like the rest of the protests, people can't help themselves and take things to far. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Some reports suggest the head was taken down to protect it which would be consistent with the care with which it seems to have been taken down. 

Pretty sad vandalising a street and shops. Deface the street name itself sure, but not the building walls or businesses that only happen to occupy a space on a badly named street.

6 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

INFO Wars..????

Don't know to be honest, The Guardian perhaps?!

maroonlegions

KKK, nice wee family organization, take care of their communities making sure black rioters are dealt with accordingly.

Trumps slogan of "Making America Great Again", is a direct KKK message that was also used by them.

THe REAL terrorists are now in plan fecking sight, encouraged by a homophobic  and racist american prime minister.

Hundreds of thousands sign petitions urging the U.S. government to declare KKK a terrorist group

AlimOzturk

Pretty sad vandalising a street and shops. Deface the street name itself sure, but not the building walls or businesses that only happen to occupy a space on a badly named street.

You say deface the street name so causally like that is an acceptable thing to do. The are ****ing vandals along with anyone who caused damage to property that isn't their own. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

They’ve only taken it down so it doesn’t get damaged by protesters. They fully intend on putting it back up when things calm down a little

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You say deface the street name so causally like that is an acceptable thing to do. The are ****ing vandals along with anyone who caused damage to property that isn't their own. 

Is correct imo. You can’t have politically motivated protestors deciding to deface or destroy property, no matter how much you agree with the protests.  

Edited by GinRummy

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The street sign is council owned is it not? I would've put it in the same bag as defacing a statue commemorating a slave owner etc.

We're probably going to see a wave of street names being brought under question.

AlimOzturk

The street sign is council owned is it not? I would've put it in the same bag as defacing a statue commemorating a slave owner etc.

We're probably going to see a wave of street names being brought under question.

Ach it is council property so that makes defacing something acceptable then. I think the folk who pulled down the statue are abhorrent arseholes who took the law into their own hands and should be fully prosecuted

Edited by AlimOzturk

I'm trying to think of an empire that didnt use slavery .

I think as the guy from Glasgow uni suggested plaques and teachings of how these empires used human suffering to make their wealth.

That's a lot of plaques world wide.

From Romes to Cairo there are buildings and statues which used slavery.

And let's not forget the slavery that exists still today.

In this country there have been thousands of slaves just in the last few decades.

Child slaves.

And imo given the enlightened times we live in the let down from the state dwarfs anything suffered by black people in the last 40 years in the UK.

24 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wholeheartedly agree with you here, Alim.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Wholeheartedly agree with you here, Alim.

Yep.

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Ach it is council property so that makes defacing something acceptable then. I think the folk who pulled down the statue are abhorrent arseholes who took the law into their own hands and should be fully prosecuted

Maybe. But when left to politicians to decide, they'll opt for a small plaque on the base that'll briefly mention the slave bit rather than doing the right thing and no longer publicly commemorating these people. Though I'd rather they put a printed cover over the problematic street names so it isn't actually causing damage/easily removed but still highlights the issue.

I do like Banksy's idea for the Bristol statue - to put it back but on a tilt with rope around the neck and add some bronze figures pulling it down:

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Tearing down statues and changing street names is airbrushing history. Educate people, don't break stuff.

How is it airbrushing history? It's making where we live a more welcoming place. It's not deleting the history, it's removing their 'honour' to be publicly commemorated.

Imagine being a black Scot living on a street named after a slave trader that they, a tax payer, just finished paying off compensation to a few years ago!

Edited by kila

AlimOzturk
17 minutes ago, kila said:

Maybe. But when left to politicians to decide, they'll opt for a small plaque on the base that'll briefly mention the slave bit rather than doing the right thing and no longer publicly commemorating these people. Though I'd rather they put a printed cover over the problematic street names so it isn't actually causing damage/easily removed but still highlights the issue.

I do like Banksy's idea for the Bristol statue - to put it back but on a tilt with rope around the neck and add some bronze figures pulling it down:

All these violent acts do is encourage others to act violently until folk get hurt or worse, killed. One act leads to another. 

And I put it to you as well that alot of the folk doing these acts of vandalism probably don't give a shit about black lives but are actually using the opportunity to just act like thugs. 

If you care so much then why don't you grab a spray can and go and vandalize the sign yourself. No? Why not?

Edited by AlimOzturk

maroonlegions

Feking under cover racists on here is glaring.

What did they expect from these kind of protests. They always attract thugs. This is a very SMALL % of the protesters who have rioted.   

Desperately trying to play down the significance of these mass protests. Lets be happy that there are still a huge % of decent people in this world that will not tolerate  any form of racist behaviour.

Statues of slave traders seem to be ok with those that mask their racist leanings.

This boy got it spot on in his reply.

Statues can be replaced, ( hopefully none of them), but black murdered human beings cannot. 

103342784_2564063743907792_5889707894818174074_o (1).jpg

maroonlegions
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Tearing down statues and changing street names is airbrushing history. Educate people, don't break stuff.

THe folk that put  those statues , what were they educating?? That slavery was ok as long as you put your money back in the community??  Or were they trying to "airbrush" the fact he dealt in slavery..

2 hours ago, kila said:

Surely if they were that bothered petitions would have happened years ago to get them removed.

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Are the Egyptian Pyramids being dismantled?

Eygyptians  never used slaves..

Just now, benny said:

Surely if they were that bothered petitions would have happened years ago to get them removed.

:laugh:

It never got done years ago, so **** it. Let's just never do it!

4 minutes ago, kila said:

:laugh:

It never got done years ago, so **** it. Let's just never do it!

Not against statues coming down but why now.

There has been police violence against the black man in all my lifetime.

Why did it not happen in my lifetime from 1960 to now.

Edited by benny

Francis Albert
59 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

KKK, nice wee family organization, take care of their communities making sure black rioters are dealt with accordingly.

Trumps slogan of "Making America Great Again", is a direct KKK message that was also used by them.

THe REAL terrorists are now in plan fecking sight, encouraged by a homophobic  and racist american prime minister.

Hundreds of thousands sign petitions urging the U.S. government to declare KKK a terrorist group

American prime minister?

maroonlegions

Jimmy Savile  was good at charity work but was a pedo, we ignore his pedo  side and put a statue up of him  for his charity work.

Where do you cross the fecking line here, the same concept should go for those that dealt in, or made money from fecking slavery. 

I would have no doubts in taring down a Jimmy Savile statue or those that done it, feck the bill for the cooncil , fecking snowflakes on hear more bothered about money than what these kind of statues stand for and are trying to endorse.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

In Ben Hur they did.

The desperation from some to bring the Egyptian Pyramids into this debate

:F6EFFECF-CB36-4574-9BC5-9AAB27271817:

We're trying to come to terms with recent racist history in our own country, something that affects current generations.

"Aye but what about the pyramids from thousands of years ago...!"

Edited by kila

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Nobody knows who the hell the people on the statues were or who streets are named for, including your ‘black scot’.

They know now so they can now be offended if they choose. How much of the funding of the New Town was contaminated by slave derived wealth ?Perhaps we should tear the whole thing down.

Scott was  a bit of an imperialist so the Scott Monument should probably go.

Edited by Francis Albert

55 minutes ago, jake said:

I'm trying to think of an empire that didnt use slavery .

I think as the guy from Glasgow uni suggested plaques and teachings of how these empires used human suffering to make their wealth.

That's a lot of plaques world wide.

From Romes to Cairo there are buildings and statues which used slavery.

And let's not forget the slavery that exists still today.

In this country there have been thousands of slaves just in the last few decades.

Child slaves.

And imo given the enlightened times we live in the let down from the state dwarfs anything suffered by black people in the last 40 years in the UK.

The Pyramids? Were they not built by slaves? Pull them down straight away! 

Madness😱

20 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Your statement is absolutely true according to todays Egyptian officials. However there are claims by some in past years that graves indicated that slavery had been used. Now its claimed that farmers who had a period when they couldn't work their fields carried out the work required.

I was fortunate enough in late 1954 to be one of the first British army members to be hosted by Egyptian army for a visit to Cairo, This was in recognition of the agreement resolving the Suez crisis. The visit to the Pyramids was one of the highlights, and I am certain that the guide did state that slavery was used in the construction. When now on TV one sees programs where the manpower to move  the massive blocks was so high it is very easy to understand the need for additional manpower, and slave labor certainly seems to be  a realistic alternative.

The location of our living quarters in Port Said was directly across the highway from the prison. The terrible screams coming from there at night when all around was quiet did not lead one to believe that humane treatment was high on the then Egyptian program, which could lead one again to believe that slavery was not an unreasonable consideration for required manpower in days long gone by.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I only hope folk realise that when they start to install BAME statues, people will be picking through their histories to find any reason why they shouldn’t be allowed.

It’ll end up becoming the South Park Christmas episode.

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If no one agrees with the poster they're racist. 

This is the nub of many arguments on here to be fair.

There are 4 times as many slaves now as there was from the 15th century to the 18th.

70% are female  and 25% are children.

There are 40 million slaves in the world today.

Many still coming from west African.

And Haitis children in particular trafficked.

It's quite an eye opener the countries who have used slavery and the numbers.

India and China the biggest culprits.

And the measure of slavery is not softened for these figures.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

This is the nub of many arguments on here to be fair.

Sad but true. 

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I only hope folk realise that when they start to install BAME statues, people will be picking through their histories to find any reason why they shouldn’t be allowed.

It’ll end up becoming the South Park Christmas episode.

I think statues in general are quite divisive and wonder if we need them. Museums are a good place for these things, not so sure public parks, university foyers etc.

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Strike while the irons hot :lol: 

Get the Royals while they're at it.