Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

Trying to get my head around Mrs Lambert not being able to settle in Dortmund, in an absolutely fantastic country with a great climate, great services and facilities, good decent people and a rich culture... because she was homesick for the knive capital of Europe. :lol:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bigsuperslim1874

How many 18 year olds in the world would reject a 5 year deal at one of the worlds biggest clubs to go to Celtic?!!! It just cannot be a legitimate choice - regardless of any leanings of support for that club.

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I always considered Paul McStay to be the perfect example of a young Scots player making the wrong decision when offered the chance to develop at a top continental club. He stayed at Celtic to hone his skills by playing alongside the likes of Roy Aitken instead, who appeared to have a big influence on his career, even on the pitch with Scotland.

Though not as young, Mo Johnston was a good example of a player leaving the comfort of Parkhead to ply his trade in France where he became Scotland's most prolific World Cup scorer during our qualifying campaign (6 from memory and all taken with a coolness alien to most Scottish strikers), only to sign for Rangers and become just another 90 mile an hour Scotland striker.

No guarantees Hickey will develop into a top player, even at Bayern, but he will certainly become a better player there than he would at any club in Scotland, and probably even England, no matter what level he ends up at.

Celtic can be a bit of a trap for talented young Scottish players. Players become too comfortable, they understandably like the winning and big fish in a small pond nature of the club. But they stunt their development. You are seeing it at the moment with players like McGregor and Christie, players could go to bigger leagues and develop to be even better players but they are happy at Celtic. Tierney almost had to be dragged out of the club and he has really kicked on since leaving where before his development looked like it was stalling. I think its something that is not really talked about in Scottish football punditry as people dont want to admit that Celtic shouldn't be the ultimate goal for a really talented Scottish player.

Leaving for a huge clubs has its risks as well. You can get lost in the system. 

So I can understand the appeal and benefit of moving to Celtic, but it can be become a cul-de-sac for a players ultimate development

can understand his Dad wanting the best for him but is a season of first team football in championship that bad a prospect for him?

Yes I would imagine going down from the premier to play the likes of Alloa and Arbroath is a massive step down from the likes of playing the old firm Aberdeen and Hibs.

Going to Munich he could get swallowed up but another season with us will not help him.

I say good luck to the lad and use the money we get wisely 

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Remember his Celtic supporting dad took him out of Celtic. He’ll do what they consider best for Aaron 

If they didn’t have the Celtic connection do you believe for one second they would be in the running for his signature? 

Just now, Beast Boy said:

If they didn’t have the Celtic connection do you believe for one second they would be in the running for his signature? 

If Aaron doesn’t want to leave home (Glasgow) there is only one team who are prepared to pay the fee. This is not about Aaron or his dad being ‘Celtic-minded’

Stendelnator

A move to Bayern is also good for Hearts, as we can tell young players that we are a good club for them to start their careers at based on that. 

Just now, buzzbomb said:

If Aaron doesn’t want to leave home (Glasgow) there is only one team who are prepared to pay the fee. This is not about Aaron or his dad being ‘Celtic-minded’

Would Celtic be anywhere near snatching a player from under the noses of the clubs that are interested in him, if they weren’t Celtic minded? Not a chance. If this was some laddie from Doncaster or Kent, or even Minsk or Copenhagen, and Bologna and Bayern were wanting his signature, then Celtic wouldn’t even be a consideration. If Aaron does want to be the best he can in his chosen career, and his Dad wants that for him too, then their derisory £300-400k wouldn’t even be getting talked about. It probably wouldn’t have even been made. It’s farcical to suggest Celtic would be a comparable choice up against those other clubs. Not unless they had an affiliation with them to begin with.

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Apart from not getting his mum to cook his food and wash his clothes anymore.

He should be ok.

He'll be getting his breakfast, lunch and dinner provided by BM.  Just needs to master a cup of tea and toast for supper.

He'll be living life in BM training gear all the time too, all washed, ironed and laid out for both training and at home.

Hearts are good at including youth players in 'lifestyle' coaching and helping them out with cooking skills, changing light bulbs and so on.

Just now, Beast Boy said:

Would Celtic be anywhere near snatching a player from under the noses of the clubs that are interested in him, if they weren’t Celtic minded? Not a chance. If this was some laddie from Doncaster or Kent, or even Minsk or Copenhagen, and Bologna and Bayern were wanting his signature, then Celtic wouldn’t even be a consideration. If Aaron does want to be the best he can in his chosen career, and his Dad wants that for him too, then their derisory £300-400k wouldn’t even be getting talked about. It probably wouldn’t have even been made. It’s farcical to suggest Celtic would be a comparable choice up against those other clubs. Not unless they had an affiliation with them to begin with.

Take a day off

10 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Trying to get my head around Mrs Lambert not being able to settle in Dortmund, in an absolutely fantastic country with a great climate, great services and facilities, good decent people and a rich culture... because she was homesick for the knive capital of Europe. :lol:

As far as I can recall, that was the story going around at the time. I am getting old though and the memory isn't as good as it once was.

16 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Can you not get buckfast, Tennets lager and Irn Bru in Dortmund???

3 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

As far as I can recall, that was the story going around at the time. I am getting old though and the memory isn't as good as it once was.

Probably is true. It’s just such a funny thing to even contemplate. 

“Aye, moan Paul, ah pure miss The Time Capsule and ra Barras.” “Let’s git oot ay here.”

Edited by Beast Boy

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Looking into Mr. O'Donnell. Quite a few high profile transfers.

Armstrong....to Celtic.

Turnbull....to Celtic.

Goodwillie...after his rape case.

As I say, I'm sure his first option won't be to get Hickey to Parkhead.👍🏻

A sort of Celtic Houldesworth? 😐

5 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Take a day off

Nah, yer alright. I get that you’re pals with his Dad. That’s great. It doesn’t change the fact that Celtic would be a dreadful move compared to Bayern or Bologna. It also doesn’t change the fact that they wouldn’t even be anywhere near a consideration, if there wasn’t a Celtic connection to begin with.

1 minute ago, Beast Boy said:

Nah, yer alright. I get that you’re pals with his Dad. That’s great. It doesn’t change the fact that Celtic would be a dreadful move compared to Bayern or Bologna. It also doesn’t change the fact that they wouldn’t even be anywhere near a consideration, if there wasn’t a Celtic connection to begin with.

The point is they’ll do what they think is best for Aaron, as they already did when he left Celtic to sign for Hearts. Whether that agrees with what we’d like to happen is irrelevant. 

MarkDevriesScores4

If he was to go to Celtic that would show a massive lack of ambition on his part. Would also likely be his last chance of moving to a larger club with higher standards. Celtic would ruin him, I have no doubt.

29 minutes ago, Barack said:

Ah, fair enough.

Good strong Scottish name, Liam O' Donnell.

Can imagine he won't be wanting Hickey at Celtic. Seems like a Rangers fans' name. :lol:

I'm on the Bayern bandwagon too as it goes. For reasons I've said earlier in the thread, and what most folk have said about the benefits also. This for me goes beyond OF tribalism. And if his Dad & the Irish agent DO have his best interests at heart, and Hickey has some ambition in his life, I struggle to see the negatives.

Apart from not getting his mum to cook his food and wash his clothes anymore.

the ‘Irish agent’ who is Scottish 

People forgetting that for him to end up at celtic in this window, we have to accept their bid. So far that's not happened.

A bid needs to be accepted by the club...then and only then will Hickey and his father have a choice to make...whether the accepted bid is from celtic, Bayern, Villa or anyone else for that matter.

If he wants to go to celtic, he may just have to spend a season in the championship if they don't offer up the cash.

The alleged 400k they offered was just the usual contemptible p!sh they come out with when dealing with every Scottish club. 

They've potentially got another McGinn scenario in the making.

Edited by cb1874

56 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Funnily enough, Paul Lambert left Dortmund for Celtic because his wife was unable to settle in Germany and wanted to come home. At least Hickey, should he choose to move to Bayern, won't have a homesick wife to contend with. Getting there without family pressure however is obviously the problem you are alluding to.

Missed the bingo apparently...

Good Scottish name. Like I said.

🙂

You called him the Irish agent. He’s not Irish. He’s Scottish. 

9 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

The point is they’ll do what they think is best for Aaron, as they already did when he left Celtic to sign for Hearts. Whether that agrees with what we’d like to happen is irrelevant. 

The point is, if they decide a move to Celtic is what is best for Aaron, then Aaron is being really badly advised, and it wouldn’t even be an realistic option, if they didn’t have an affiliation with them in the first place.

1 minute ago, Beast Boy said:

The point is, if they decide a move to Celtic is what is best for Aaron, then Aaron is being really badly advised, and it wouldn’t even be an realistic option, if they didn’t have an affiliation with them in the first place.

Nope. 

Just now, buzzbomb said:

You called him the Irish agent. He’s not Irish. He’s Scottish. 

Just like Celtic are a Scottish club and not an Irish club?

jamboinglasgow
23 minutes ago, Barack said:

Scott Brown would've been ten times the player he is, if he had moved to another league other than our pond, as you say.

Maybe the wife said naw, and it was move or divorce.  

McGregor & Forrest surprise me, in not moving away.

Yup, I think its still forgotten that at Hibs Scott Brown was an aggressive skillful winger. Strachan signed him and turned into a tackling midfielder. He has done well out of that but I agree he could have been an even better player. I could understand maybe a few years at Celtic then move on but he stayed.

Forrest is 29 so wont move until the club wants rid of him, he will want to be a one club man. McGregor surprises me, he has shown little interest moving. I think he would be a player that would do well in Germany. I also think a move to Leicester would be really good for him, Brendan wants him and got the most out of him so would be an ideal fit.

I think Christie is another who is stagnating a bit and could do with moving on, he is a top talent here but could be even better. 

Just now, buzzbomb said:

Nope. 

Aye, if Aaron was brought up in Manchester or Nairobi or whatever, then Celtic would be in with a chance of signing him over Bayern Munich or Bologna. Right you are chief.

2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Aye, if Aaron was brought up in Manchester or Nairobi or whatever, then Celtic would be in with a chance of signing him over Bayern Munich or Bologna. Right you are chief.

But he’s not brought up in Nairobi or Manchester, so IF he wants to stay at home then his options are limited chief

31 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Think it was more to do with his kid becoming unwell. Talks about in his interview with Si Ferry 1.04 onwards.

Edited by LogicalEric

If you were to ask Edouard where he would rather play then very obvious. The alleged Celtic bid of 400k makes you sick especially as levein said on sport sound that they had made 6 bids already!

Just now, LogicalEric said:

Think it was more to do with his kid becoming unwell. Talks about in his interview with Si Ferry 1.04 onwards.

Nice one mate 👍. I knew it was family reasons, obviously a kid being unwell is fairly serious and completely understandable. Not that a homesick spouse isn't a legitimate reason for going home mind you.

Just now, buzzbomb said:

But he’s not brought up in Nairobi or Manchester, so IF he wants to stay at home then his options are limited chief

If he wants to stay at home, then I assume it is down to his age. When he’s older you would expect he’d be more open to moving out of his family home, like many of us did at around 20 y/o or so? If that’s the case, then why not stay at Hearts and move to a bigger club in a couple of years time instead? Especially if as you pointed out, he came here from Celtic in the first place, for career reasons. Can we just stop this pretence that choosing Celtic over Bayern and Bologna would be for any other reason than having an affection for that club to begin with. If that’s where he ends up, I’ve no doubt how it will be reported and portrayed, but the truth of the matter is, Celtic wouldn’t have a hope in hell of signing a good young prospect from under the noses of Bayern or Bologna if he didn’t have a Celtic connection to begin with.

indianajones

Hickeys dad would do well to remember his son has a contract for another year and Hearts have no obligation to sell him right now. 

I hope the club take this attitude if Celtic are in for him. 

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Hickeys dad would do well to remember his son has a contract for another year and Hearts have no obligation to sell him right now. 

Yep. If the posts on here about Ann Budge not even considering an approach from Celtic are correct, then she’s doing him a big favour.

So why would he stay? What's his main motivation?

Let's not piss about here, buzzy. You blatantly know Hickey's Dad, and Hickey. 

I’m not saying he will stay and I really hope he goes to Bayern. He’ll never get the chance again. Ive no love for Celtic. But, if Aaron doesn’t want to leave home for whatever reason then it’s his decision and won’t be out of some blind love of Celtic, as he has already been proven by leaving Celtic to come to Hearts in the first place.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Oh, O'Donnell also negotiated Christie to Celtic.

Not that there's a theme. "Best interests."

Stfu. :lol:

So Houldesworth Is Agent Orange. What does that make O’Donnell? The Irish Rep’?

6 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

If he wants to stay at home, then I assume it is down to his age. When he’s older you would expect he’d be more open to moving out of his family home, like many of us did at around 20 y/o or so? If that’s the case, then why not stay at Hearts and move to a bigger club in a couple of years time instead? Especially if as you pointed out, he came here from Celtic in the first place, for career reasons. Can we just stop this pretence that choosing Celtic over Bayern and Bologna would be for any other reason than having an affection for that club to begin with. If that’s where he ends up, I’ve no doubt how it will be reported and portrayed, but the truth of the matter is, Celtic wouldn’t have a hope in hell of signing a good young prospect from under the noses of Bayern or Bologna if he didn’t have a Celtic connection to begin with.

So, say he wants to stay at home who should he sign for ? Stay at Hearts in the championship (not a good career move). Who is going to pay him >£5K per week in scotland ? I hope more than anything he goes to Bayern, but if he decides he’d rather stay at home thats  his decision And not made out of blind love of Celtic as proven by him already leaving them for Hearts.

8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

A year will pass pretty quickly  especially this season. Then he moves for nothing. Pre contract January. 

Just now, buzzbomb said:

So, say he wants to stay at home who should he sign for ? Stay at Hearts in the championship (not a good career move). Who is going to pay him >£5K per week in scotland ? I hope more than anything he goes to Bayern, but if he decides he’d rather stay at home thats  his decision And not made out of blind love of Celtic as proven by him already leaving them for Hearts.

Yes, he’d be as well staying at Hearts in the Championship and moving to a bigger club after that. Didn’t do John McGinn any harm moving from the Premiership to the Championship before getting a big move, and he’s not as good a player as Hickey. I get that you know Aaron and his Dad and feel some loyalty towards them, but attempting to pretend a move to Celtic would be anything other than a badly advised option is just silly. It also wouldn’t even be an option if it was not for the Celtic connection to begin with.

By the way, am I right in thinking Hickey started out at Hearts, then moved to Celtic and then back to Hearts?

A_A wehatethehibs

We all know hickeys dad wanted him at Celtic but if Bayern Munich come calling, you don't turn down the chance to go to a club like that. It's like Gilmours move to Chelsea, his family staunch Rangers but at the end of the day, they knew what was right for the boy and the move happened. You are talking about your chance to get in to the world football Elite. I think Hickey's family and advisors will know that.

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We all know hickeys dad wanted him at Celtic but if Bayern Munich come calling, you don't turn down the chance to go to a club like that. It's like Gilmours move to Chelsea, his family staunch Rangers but at the end of the day, they knew what was right for the boy and the move happened. You are talking about your chance to get in to the world football Elite. I think Hickey's family and advisors will know that.

You would certainly hope so. Remains to be seen.

bigsuperslim1874
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Bingo. I’d be absolutely astonished if they turn down Bayern (arguably the biggest club in Europe ATM) to go to Celtic.

Literally ANY player of similar ability or age in any other country who has this chance would claw your eyes out to go to Germany.

Was hoping my lad was going to be a millionaire and see me get an early retirement, unfortunately he’s a pisshead just like me, so I hope Hickey’s auld man is luckier.

1 minute ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Bingo. I’d be absolutely astonished if they turn down Bayern (arguably the biggest club in Europe ATM) to go to Celtic.

Literally ANY player of similar ability or age in any other country who has this chance would claw your eyes out to go to Germany.

The myth v the reality of what Celtic really are, is a chasm. Swatting away clubs with less than a tenth of their resources with three quarters of the opponents stadium filled with their glory hunting bigoted support... yeah. Some achievement. A European powerhouse.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

The myth v the reality of what Celtic really are, is a chasm. Swatting away clubs with less than a tenth of their resources with three quarters of the opponents stadium filled with their glory hunting bigoted support... yeah. Some achievement. A European powerhouse.

One of these days the wider world will see Celtic for who they are, a massive bully who tramples those beneath them (as opposed to their myth of the heroic underdog.)

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

One of these days the wider world will see Celtic for who they are, a massive bully who tramples those beneath them (as opposed to their myth of the heroic underdog.)

You can say the same about Bayern as well 😜😜

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Notts1874 said:

Haha, true. 

Though at least Bayern dont try to make themselves as the victim of German football, where everyone is out to deny these plucky underdogs who just happen to win everything anyway.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

The Celtic PR machine is absolutely phenomenal. They have managed to pull off the ultimate ‘Emperors New Clothes’ illusion. A great many people have bought in to the myth. Anyone who has had the displeasure of seeing the vermin come to their stadium, and observed how they conduct themselves, knows the truth.

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Haha, true. 

Though at least Bayern dont try to make themselves as the victim of German football, where everyone is out to deny these plucky underdogs who just happen to win everything anyway.

Bayern do the victim chat on a European scale. They basically wrote the FFP rules that keeps the European elite the elite. 

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Ironically, my German friend married a Glaswegian Celtic supporter and moved out to Wolfsburg about a decade ago. Bayern are considered the plastic Manchester United (of old, when they were successful) of Germany by most over there. I think that’s a better comparison than to Celtic. They don’t, as far as I’m aware, have anything like as vile a fan base as Celtic, generally it’s just the unimaginative glory hunting dolts from elsewhere that give them that rep. Every club has its idiots obviously, but Celtic’s are a large percentage of their core support, and they are more repugnant than a lot of others.