SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

2 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

I get that the world is in a bit of shit, but people are still allowed a sense of humour! 

The keeper in question is a good lad and is fully in on the joke!

I know big stretch and it is indeed a wind up. He’s a senior manager with GGK civil engineers and on a good salary. He’s on buttons at livi as 3rd choice keeper and It’s more a hobby to him than anything. He’s been talking of retiring for the last two years anyway and the poll is just an attempt at a wind up. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Fact finding meetings all leading to one league. 

Unless we are prevented from playing  a scenario that will make the expulsion very real in terms of cost definition should we need to claim 

Riccarton3
10 minutes ago, viva hate said:

Drags on for THREE hours! 

Just a standard time for a meeting then.

Take in the obligatory coffee breaks, probably at it for less than two hours. 

The SPFL and lots of clubs are desperate to get Ann’s proposal ASAP so they can kick it out.

Ann just make them wait .... slowly clubs will die one by one and the remainder will be desperate for survival ...... just make them wait until they promise to vote yes and do it it the Hearts way - Gorgie Rules!

And if so many clubs die that Scottish football ceases to exist in its current format just walk away and find somewhere else to play! A club like Hearts will be a major asset to any league!

1 hour ago, viva hate said:

That’s a long time for Jackson - he has the attention span of a spaniel puppy!

Paint the town maroon
36 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

The SPFL and lots of clubs are desperate to get Ann’s proposal ASAP so they can kick it out.

Ann just make them wait .... slowly clubs will die one by one and the remainder will be desperate for survival ...... just make them wait until they promise to vote yes and do it it the Hearts way - Gorgie Rules!

And if so many clubs die that Scottish football ceases to exist in its current format just walk away and find somewhere else to play! A club like Hearts will be a major asset to any league!

Once the timeline for training is agreed then the fixture list will be out and probably mid June. 

We can drag it out but not past then I would suggest. We also lose any general interest and sympathy from others. 

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, Goodfella said:

Latest from the red tops - Record's wack Jacko's Article:

SPFL line up showdown summit as Hearts Championship talks drag on for THREE hours

Scotland’s 10 second tier clubs held mammoth meeting on Monday as Ann Budge prepares to show her hand.

League bosses are set to call an emergency board meeting in the next 48 hours to discuss the next step in the crisis facing Hearts.

Record Sport understands SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster will call the meeting on Wednesday or Thursday of this week after another dramatic day of video conference calls on Monday pushed the relegated Tynecastle club closer to a nightmare scenario of being locked out of football’s big restart.

All 10 Championship clubs met online for more than three hours into the afternoon as they attempt to thrash out a way for Scotland’s second tier to survive the coronavirus pandemic.

And, as we revealed on Sunday night, the majority of them remain resigned to being unable to afford to start the season behind closed doors.

A number of them do believe, however, the season can begin as soon as a the government allows a percentage of fans to get back into their grounds. And they are hopeful that could see the Championship slowly get back to business by October or November

record sport logo.jpg 

Get all the latest Sports news sent straight to your Inbox every day by signing up to our newsletter.

We cover every morsel of information regarding your favourite club in the form of articles, videos and podcasts.

The newsletter will arrive every day at 12pm, giving you a round up of the best stories we've covered that in the last 24 hours.

To sign up, simply enter your email address into the link here.

But Record Sport can also reveal the safe return of supporters has not even reached the discussion stage as football and Holyrood attempt to agree on a potential pathway out of the other side of the Covid-19 lockdown.

Those conversations will gather pace on Tuesday when Scottish football’s Joint Response Group officially hand over to government an action plan, in which detailed proposals as to how to get the national sport back up and running will be mapped out.

But, while these phased stages will centre around how players can get back to training and then return to playing matches behind closed doors, there is no plan for how and when supporters might be allowed back in through the turnstiles.

READ MORE

A Championship representative said: “The clubs had a good, productive conversation and we all want to find a solution to the obvious problems we face in starting next season.

“None of us think it’s a good idea to shut the division down until the new year. But, at the same time, there’s a realisation that a large number of the clubs will be in no position to play on behind closed doors. 

“The feeling is, if we can get to a point when maybe 25 per cent of the stadia will be open to supporters, then we will be able to play. The hope is that could perhaps come some time by October or November but there’s obviously  so much uncertainty at this time.”

But that will do little to ease anxiety levels surrounding Hearts, following the controversial decision to relegate them from the top flight without completing season’s 2019/20 fixtures.

1_19162825.jpg

Owner Ann Budge had been expected to circulated a plan for league reconstruction following Monday’s discussions with the her nine Championship rivals but no new paper has been shared around Scotland’s 42 clubs.

But the SPFL board will be hoping that Budge does finally hand over her document ahead of their next crisis talks later this week.

One Hampden source told us: “The board will be briefed about the discussions between the Championship clubs on Monday morning. But they will also want to see exactly what Hearts are proposing because, for more than a week now,the expectation was that this new reconstruction paper would be produced as a matter of urgency.”

After all the chat about Hearts getting a court order to stop Scottish football in its tracks how funny would it be if Hearts got a court order requiring the SPFL to display fairness & parity between 1st & 2nd tier clubs ? ie start the season. Just a thought. 

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

As if UEFA will ask for any sort of explanation. 

The bowling club (SPFL) cannot speak to UEFA its the SFA as our association that must

Jamboelite
14 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

After all the chat about Hearts getting a court order to stop Scottish football in its tracks how funny would it be if Hearts got a court order requiring the SPFL to display fairness & parity between 1st & 2nd tier clubs ? ie start the season. Just a thought. 

I think this strengthens any legal case not only demotion but then potentially no competition to move into for months.

Not exactly looking after all its members.

The decision to expel 3 clubs from their respective divisions is one of the most shameful episodes in the history of Scottish sport.

Nothing that has happened since gives me any confidence that lessons will be learned or even that the instigators will show any contrition.

In any other country, the government would have become involved and there would be a public enquiry. In Scotland, everyone is feart to upset one or other or both of the so-called Old Firm.

It is utterly pathetic and the only thing that keeps me going is the hope that the turkeys really will vote for Christmas and reject whatever reconstruction proposals are laid before them. If that happens, I hope that the courts will take the opportunity to bring the whole of Scottish football's governance crashing down.

There are people whose hands are so filthy with deceit that they should be banned from holding any official position in football ever again. It appears that the only hope of any of them being held to account for their actions is by a stubborn refusal to do the right thing.

Many of these people do appear to be moronic enough to carry on behaving like imbeciles, so I do retain some hope.  Sadly, that hope is wearing thin and I shudder to think what these people will do next if they manage to sweep this latest corruption under the carpet.

niblick1874

I suggest everyone read everything in the MSM they can get their hands on so you are in the right frame of mind when it comes to what is coming.

People are reading in the MSM now what will go down in history, unless. 

We need the courts to speak for us and we have to start that tomorrow. Not next week, not the end of the week. Tomorrow.

Making sure this goes to court is all we have. 

1 hour ago, Drumjambo said:

The bowling club (SPFL) cannot speak to UEFA its the SFA as our association that must

The SFA will advise UEFA who Peter Lawwell is a board member telling them the leagues have voted to finish. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

The SFA will advise UEFA who Peter Lawwell is a board member telling them the leagues have voted to finish. 

Which is great, because that means that the SFA will be lying too. Scottish football voted against, but the SPFL broke Companies Law to fix the result.

2 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

I suggest everyone read everything in the MSM they can get their hands on so you are in the right frame of mind when it comes to what is coming.

We need the courts to speak for us and we have to start that tomorrow. Not next week, not the end of the week. Tomorrow.

And you actually think the courts will speak for us?  If it’s that binding obvious Partick would be taking legal action already.  Rangers don’t give a shit anymore either and our clubs on a ****ing conference call for three hours with some wanks from Morton and Arbroath.  Yet you’ve got this dream we take the league to court and they vote in our favour and we all live happily ever after as other clubs go down the pan because they voted us down, when in reality they voted the best option for them and in reality nobody has a ****ing clue how good a case we have for anything apart from Leslie Deans, who was always Piemans assistant. 

Just now, Last Laff said:

And you actually think the courts will speak for us?  If it’s that binding obvious Partick would be taking legal action already.  Rangers don’t give a shit anymore either and our clubs on a ****ing conference call for three hours with some wanks from Morton and Arbroath.  Yet you’ve got this dream we take the league to court and they vote in our favour and we all live happily ever after as other clubs go down the pan because they voted us down, when in reality they voted the best option for them and in reality nobody has a ****ing clue how good a case we have for anything apart from Leslie Deans, who was always Piemans assistant. 

Taking a case to court is a rich man's game. Partick Thistle probably took the view that they couldn't afford to lose.

However, I suspect that they are in regular contact with us and may well join with us if and when we raise an action.

They are also in the same position as us - that is to say, that before raising an action it is important to show that all reasonable steps have been taken to try and avoid court. Since the reconstruction proposal has yet to be tabled, I think that you are wrong in your view that they should be taking action already.

3 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

Which is great, because that means that the SFA will be lying too. Scottish football voted against, but the SPFL broke Companies Law to fix the result.

If it was that simple and that easy it would be done by now.  What you’re doing is guessing.  If the against vote originally did have the clause of voting for after 28 days we are goosed and now there’s no independent enquiry the courts if it went to it will look at the investigation done who had no issue with wrongdoing and we will be goosed.  

If the SPFL broke any law at all do you not think they will be paying a lot, lot more than we can for legal advice?  Do you not think they will be told by the same legal team how likely any lawsuit against them will conclude?  They don’t even seem to give a shit about it.  If we take them to court and get even £2m compensation it’s a miracle.  

6 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

Taking a case to court is a rich man's game. Partick Thistle probably took the view that they couldn't afford to lose.

However, I suspect that they are in regular contact with us and may well join with us if and when we raise an action.

They are also in the same position as us - that is to say, that before raising an action it is important to show that all reasonable steps have been taken to try and avoid court. Since the reconstruction proposal has yet to be tabled, I think that you are wrong in your view that they should be taking action already.

Why is it a rich mans game when Deans said it’s not that expensive and if a cast iron case goes to court, what have Partick got to lose? 

Reconstruction is our only hope.  It really is.  And I’ve gave Ann shit for the backing shes given Levein and still paying the *****.  I would understand though if there wasn’t enough scope to go through the courts because I can’t see even Neil Doncaster being that much of a ****wit not to cover his tracks.  We go in there fighting like wee pubey virgins and that ***** gets out everything and has an answer for everything.  We will lose millions more and be in the championship. 

Edited by Last Laff

niblick1874
5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Reconstruction is our only hope.  It really is. 

Our only hope of what?

24 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

If it was that simple and that easy it would be done by now.  What you’re doing is guessing.  If the against vote originally did have the clause of voting for after 28 days we are goosed and now there’s no independent enquiry the courts if it went to it will look at the investigation done who had no issue with wrongdoing and we will be goosed.  

If the SPFL broke any law at all do you not think they will be paying a lot, lot more than we can for legal advice?  Do you not think they will be told by the same legal team how likely any lawsuit against them will conclude?  They don’t even seem to give a shit about it.  If we take them to court and get even £2m compensation it’s a miracle.  

There is a fair amount of evidence by what the SPFL having been saying in last few days to suggest that they have taken advice and that advice is not good for them.

There are signs that they are beginning to put pressure on clubs to accept some sort of reconstruction.

They haven't said as much publicly (they wouldn't, would they?), but the signs are there.

You can spend as much as you like on legal advice, but in spite of what several posters on here seem to think, that does not mean that you will be told what you want to hear.

26 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Why is it a rich mans game when Deans said it’s not that expensive and if a cast iron case goes to court, what have Partick got to lose? 

Reconstruction is our only hope.  It really is.  And I’ve gave Ann shit for the backing shes given Levein and still paying the *****.  I would understand though if there wasn’t enough scope to go through the courts because I can’t see even Neil Doncaster being that much of a ****wit not to cover his tracks.  We go in there fighting like wee pubey virgins and that ***** gets out everything and has an answer for everything.  We will lose millions more and be in the championship. 

A Court of Session case is very expensive. I don't remember Leslie Dean's saying it wasn't. If he did, he is wrong. Furthermore, there are very few cast iron cases. Fundamentally, it is very difficult to know for sure what argument the other side is going out forward. It is also difficult to know what conclusion a particular judge will reach.  Good advice will always be cautious. Even when I have been in a situation where I have been incredibly confident of a positive outcome, I have remained cautious.

As you can imagine, I don't agree that reconstruction is our only hope. However, I suspect it is what we will get.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

You don't get it. Court is always going to be an absolute last option, when all other avenues are exhausted. No matter how good our case is, no-one wants to effectively sue other football clubs and no-one wants to be tied up in court for ages unless there's no other option. Budge has made that clear. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You don't get it. Court is always going to be an absolute last option, when all other avenues are exhausted. No matter how good our case is, no-one wants to effectively sue other football clubs and no-one wants to be tied up in court for ages unless there's no other option. Budge has made that clear. 

I generally agree, except I'm of the opinion that reconstruction is exhausted. Budge might as well get this over and done with so we can go to court.

6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Championship has an issue with it's own Financial Fair Play rules and how clubs may get round them.

Barnsley are correct that any punishments should apply to this season.

How is their bid to buy an SPFL Premiership feeder club coming on? :lol:

David McCaig
3 hours ago, niblick1874 said:

It is now 8 days since we were expelled and bar one cursory statement we have done nothing.

It now seems that we are accepting Championship sides not being prepared to play us?

Surely the solution is a 13 team SPL with 1 down next season and no promotion from a truncated Championship.

36 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

It is now 8 days since we were expelled and bar one cursory statement we have done nothing.

It now seems that we are accepting Championship sides not being prepared to play us?

Surely the solution is a 13 team SPL with 1 down next season and no promotion from a truncated Championship.

Just wow

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I generally agree, except I'm of the opinion that reconstruction is exhausted. Budge might as well get this over and done with so we can go to court.

Where I’m at with this. Reconstruction would actually mean having some of the self interested congenitally thick folk who run some of our clubs having to think rationally, and some of the others who are working away on their own pathetic grudges to think out of the box. It’s the SPFL we are talking about here and it ain’t going to happen. Court is the way forward and watch the dominos fall.

vegas-voss
1 hour ago, Jambo66 said:

Just wow

Seems mental but I can see a scenario if the Championship goes ahead with League fixtures a fraction of the size the SPFL will pull some shit ass emergency meeting saying there can be no promotion from Championship.

Biffa Bacon
7 hours ago, viva hate said:

Strachan on the podcast spoke of the continued negativity of the media, dragging the game down. Within hours hare is an example. Why is it not a positive that representative are prepared to give up 3 hours to try to find a solution. 

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Seems mental but I can see a scenario if the Championship goes ahead with League fixtures a fraction of the size the SPFL will pull some shit ass emergency meeting saying there can be no promotion from Championship.

My point was more that if we are being expelled  to a division that isn't willing to play a full season, we should remain in the SPL.

As a club Hearts should be insistent that a full season is played.  All clubs have to cut costs accordingly, either voluntarily drop down into a mothballed division or play a side of youths and amateurs.

8 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

That’s exactly what will happen, and I would think that quite a few in the premiership would be looking to ensure that proposal goes ahead.

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Take in the obligatory coffee breaks, probably at it for less than two hours. 

What about system crashes? That must have happened a few times. 

7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

My point was more that if we are being expelled  to a division that isn't willing to play a full season, we should remain in the SPL.

As a club Hearts should be insistent that a full season is played.  All clubs have to cut costs accordingly, either voluntarily drop down into a mothballed division or play a side of youths and amateurs.

If we are expelled and that scenario is played out in the full knowledge of the SPFL Board it’s a clear case of restriction of trade. I think that some in the SPFL are starting waken up to the full legal ramifications of that decision and where it will undoubtedly take them. It’s unfortunate that the pea brains that are in charge of some clubs just can’t comprehend where this is going.

Billybuffjaw
5 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Wee pubey virgins? How old are you?

If people could stop quoting Last Laff that would be great, cheers. 👍🏻

Edited by Whatever

Stupid Sexy Flanders
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Queen Ann still going with this is she? 

:facepalm:

Obviously, aye. Why wouldn't/shouldn't she?

The end is nigh if you see Keefs latest column 🤷‍♂️ that smarmey git would take great pleasure in seeing our demise 

18 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Obviously, aye. Why wouldn't/shouldn't she?

Several reasons:

1. A decision has already been made

2. This is now just the Ann Budge Show

3. She should maybe have cared a bit more about being in the top flight about four years ago when the decline started and she was too concerned about a young lassies team and  free digital innovation centres for the community

4. It is embarrassing watching this

5. We put ourselves in this position

6. We were the shitest team in the league. This is no-ones fault bar ours

7. She is ****ing clueless at all things football so like one of her teams over the past four years she will win **** all

Step down please with immediate effect. Take your loser staff with you (all 4 million of the duds). Take this on the chin, rebuild, grow back our bollocks and start being a football club again.

A top sports lawyer insists Hearts are in for a difficult ride should they choose to take legal action against the SPFL following the resolution to end the season early.

Chairman Ann Budge has threatened court proceedings following her club's 'unjust' relegation to the Championship. However the circumstances surrounding the issue - namely the coronaviruspandemic - has created a situation that would make it tough for Hearts to succeed.

David Winnie, a former Hearts and Aberdeen defender turned legal mind with London firm Charles Douglas Solicitors, says his former side would struggle to make a valid case against their relegation. Especially after the decision to end the current campaign was unanimous and the capital club voted in favour themselves. Mr Winnie believes that may be one of the biggest factors which could work against Hearts in court, should it go so far.

"It would depend on the wording on the resolution as to what ending the season would entail," Winnie told Herald and Times Sport. "[Did Hearts vote for the league ending] with a view to reconstruction? That's something that, if Hearts are to commence proceedings, that would probably come out. It would certainly be asked, 'Why did you vote for this?' I don't know what was tabled exactly, but it's an argument that could be used against Hearts."

If the Jambos have any chance of winning a potential case against the SPFL, Winnie believes it could come down to Dundee's phantom 'No' vote. Another potential route to legal victory could be that each club voted for the end in their own best interests. That, according to Winnie, could be viewed as going against their contractual obligation to act with a duty of care towards the other members.

"I really feel for them in this situation," he added. "It's one that none of the other clubs in the Premiership would want to find themselves in. In any other set of circumstances it would be fairly straightforward but we're in fairly unprecedented times. You can't account for what has happened but I think the SPFL and its members have made the right decision under the circumstances.

"If clubs are honest about it, there's no other viable alternative than to call it a day. If Hearts were therefore to go down a legal route, what cause of action would they have? If it's found the voting process on the resolution that Dundee was involved in, if the process was wrong or done in an improper fashion, that might have been Hearts' best shot.

"Another potential avenue, albeit a slim one, is that each club is a member so they have a contractual agreement with the SPFL and each other. They've got a duty to act towards each other in the utmost good faith. With this points per game basis, if clubs are voting on that in their own self-interest, potentially they're not acting in utmost good faith towards other clubs. It's a difficult one, it would be a difficult argument to run.

"They could possibly legally object that the resolution is unfairly prejudicial to its interest. Here, potentially, you could suggest that Hearts have been relegated, they'll lose millions from this and the vote has been prejudicial. It is difficult to run but could be seen that way because they've been relegated as a result of points per game.

"If they go to the Court of Session in Edinburgh, I think monies have already been paid to clubs but they could maybe seek an interim interdict to have things frozen while the case is considered. They are going to go to court to seek damages in any event, whether it's for monies lost as a result of the decision."

Hearts stand to lose millions, whatever happens, but are likely to seek damages even if they do not go the whole nine yards with a legal battle against the SPFL. A course of action, Mr Winnie says, most if not all other clubs in Scottish football's top tier would take in the same circumstances.

He even points at Rangers' financial turmoil in 2012 and the fallout from that to suggest that no club in the country is in a position to take the current climate lightly. Or take their own coffers for granted. "Hearts will lose millions out of this and that's a remedy they could ask the court to give them," Winnie went on. "I don't know how much they'll lose but they could simply ask the court what the damages may be, because they might not come back up straight away, it could have long-lasting effects. That's the real issue for them, the financial hit they're going to take as a result of this.

"Hearts are a great club in Scotland, a footballing institution in the country. Everyone has been hit by this pandemic and Hearts, like everyone else, are members of the SPFL and they agreed, when becoming part of the members club, to abide by the decisions made.

"But any other CEO in Ann Budge's position would do the same for their club. They'll be saying, 'There but for the grace of God', that it is not them in this position. They would be staring down the barrel of a gun like Hearts are right now. They would probably be considering doing exactly the same thing. They might not go the whole hog but I can guarantee they'd all consider it.

"Given the financial hit they're going to take. Scotland needs clubs like Hearts in its top league, there's no getting round that. But are they entitled to be there as of right, on merit? You can look at the situation with Rangers when they folded and had to start down the bottom again. No club is immune in Scotland.

"People are jumping up and down about it but I can understand why Hearts are going down this route. Will they be successful? It'll be difficult under the circumstances."

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Several reasons:

3. She should maybe have cared a bit more about being in the top flight about four years ago when the decline started and she was too concerned about a young lassies team and  free digital innovation centres for the community

7. She is ****ing clueless at all things football so like one of her teams over the past four years she will win **** all

Step down please with immediate effect. Take your loser staff with you (all 4 million of the duds). Take this on the chin, rebuild, grow back our bollocks and start being a football club again.

Did you miss Covid19 then  :rofl:

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Several reasons:

Aw bore off you total fool.

You really are the most boring of gomerals aren't you.

You simply don't have brain capacity to separate issues or compartmentalise emotions. But you still feel the need to squeal your useless pish.

Behind the snot, there's a point or two, but totally, irrationally irrelevant to the issue and even the point you're trying to make.

You're so painful, man.

Away and kiss your Maggie Thatcher poster.

4 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

A top sports lawyer insists Hearts are in for a difficult ride should they choose to take legal action against the SPFL following the resolution to end the season early.

Chairman Ann Budge has threatened court proceedings following her club's 'unjust' relegation to the Championship. However the circumstances surrounding the issue - namely the coronaviruspandemic - has created a situation that would make it tough for Hearts to succeed.

David Winnie, a former Hearts and Aberdeen defender turned legal mind with London firm Charles Douglas Solicitors, says his former side would struggle to make a valid case against their relegation. Especially after the decision to end the current campaign was unanimous and the capital club voted in favour themselves. Mr Winnie believes that may be one of the biggest factors which could work against Hearts in court, should it go so far.

"It would depend on the wording on the resolution as to what ending the season would entail," Winnie told Herald and Times Sport. "[Did Hearts vote for the league ending] with a view to reconstruction? That's something that, if Hearts are to commence proceedings, that would probably come out. It would certainly be asked, 'Why did you vote for this?' I don't know what was tabled exactly, but it's an argument that could be used against Hearts."

If the Jambos have any chance of winning a potential case against the SPFL, Winnie believes it could come down to Dundee's phantom 'No' vote. Another potential route to legal victory could be that each club voted for the end in their own best interests. That, according to Winnie, could be viewed as going against their contractual obligation to act with a duty of care towards the other members.

"I really feel for them in this situation," he added. "It's one that none of the other clubs in the Premiership would want to find themselves in. In any other set of circumstances it would be fairly straightforward but we're in fairly unprecedented times. You can't account for what has happened but I think the SPFL and its members have made the right decision under the circumstances.

"If clubs are honest about it, there's no other viable alternative than to call it a day. If Hearts were therefore to go down a legal route, what cause of action would they have? If it's found the voting process on the resolution that Dundee was involved in, if the process was wrong or done in an improper fashion, that might have been Hearts' best shot.

"Another potential avenue, albeit a slim one, is that each club is a member so they have a contractual agreement with the SPFL and each other. They've got a duty to act towards each other in the utmost good faith. With this points per game basis, if clubs are voting on that in their own self-interest, potentially they're not acting in utmost good faith towards other clubs. It's a difficult one, it would be a difficult argument to run.

"They could possibly legally object that the resolution is unfairly prejudicial to its interest. Here, potentially, you could suggest that Hearts have been relegated, they'll lose millions from this and the vote has been prejudicial. It is difficult to run but could be seen that way because they've been relegated as a result of points per game.

"If they go to the Court of Session in Edinburgh, I think monies have already been paid to clubs but they could maybe seek an interim interdict to have things frozen while the case is considered. They are going to go to court to seek damages in any event, whether it's for monies lost as a result of the decision."

Hearts stand to lose millions, whatever happens, but are likely to seek damages even if they do not go the whole nine yards with a legal battle against the SPFL. A course of action, Mr Winnie says, most if not all other clubs in Scottish football's top tier would take in the same circumstances.

He even points at Rangers' financial turmoil in 2012 and the fallout from that to suggest that no club in the country is in a position to take the current climate lightly. Or take their own coffers for granted. "Hearts will lose millions out of this and that's a remedy they could ask the court to give them," Winnie went on. "I don't know how much they'll lose but they could simply ask the court what the damages may be, because they might not come back up straight away, it could have long-lasting effects. That's the real issue for them, the financial hit they're going to take as a result of this.

"Hearts are a great club in Scotland, a footballing institution in the country. Everyone has been hit by this pandemic and Hearts, like everyone else, are members of the SPFL and they agreed, when becoming part of the members club, to abide by the decisions made.

"But any other CEO in Ann Budge's position would do the same for their club. They'll be saying, 'There but for the grace of God', that it is not them in this position. They would be staring down the barrel of a gun like Hearts are right now. They would probably be considering doing exactly the same thing. They might not go the whole hog but I can guarantee they'd all consider it.

"Given the financial hit they're going to take. Scotland needs clubs like Hearts in its top league, there's no getting round that. But are they entitled to be there as of right, on merit? You can look at the situation with Rangers when they folded and had to start down the bottom again. No club is immune in Scotland.

"People are jumping up and down about it but I can understand why Hearts are going down this route. Will they be successful? It'll be difficult under the circumstances."

Total non story. Winnie obviously hasn't read the resolution or even kept abrest of the situ.

Unlike a few QCs up here who've poured over it properly.

Its a headline, no more.

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Total non story. Winnie obviously hasn't read the resolution or even kept abrest of the situ.

Unlike a few QCs up here who've poured over it properly.

Its a headline, no more.

He’s obviously as dire a solicitor as he was a player.

kingantti1874

Hearts never voted to end the season, that decision was taken by the board on the basis of the April vote. Where we clearly voted no

Ethan Hunt
6 hours ago, Last Laff said:

This saga has been going on for several weeks now and despite all the information that’s out there that is the best ‘reasoned’ rant you can come up with.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )