SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

12 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Anybody see an article suggesting the SFA are in serious financial trouble and have primed their staff to expect news of some significant redundancies fairly soon? Director of football Malky Mackay being in real danger.

I read one report on the Sky app which was reporting lack of crowds at recent games. These included the internationals, cup semi finals,and unbelievably the upcoming cup final in December between Celtic and Aberdeen 🤬

AllyjamboDerbyshire
18 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

18 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It did. 

Doncaster didn't actually decide anything, he never does. He just administrates. 

The celtic influence is debatable. Teams were always going to vote to save their skin, think short term and not care about anything else. 

The clubs voted for what was best for them, plain and simple imo. 

Didn't are who else was shat on, even after the first vote there was ample opportunity to mitigate damage to clubs like ourselves and Partick, they still refused. 

If St Mirren and us were in reverse positions, they would have 100% voted differently, possibly even we would have. 

If rangers and celtic were reversed it would be the same. 

We might actually find out how clubs will vote again, but imo each club will see where they are before deciding what is best for them and giving some statement about there was no other option and it was the best solution, blah, blah. 

If it was / is the only and best solution, vote on it now. 

Have a solution in place in now. 

*******s 

Clubs voting to save their own skins is a fair enough argument, and maybe Celtic (or anyone else) didn't have to influence them much in that respect, but that still leaves plenty of room for Celtic (or anyone else) to have influenced/created the content of the proposal put before the clubs to vote on. If the clubs did vote purely out of self-preservation, then they would have voted in favour of any proposal put forward that didn't damage them, including reconstruction or no promotion/relegation, particularly if it was served up to them in the way it was, with a financial incentive to vote in favour. I'm not suggesting that there definitely was a Celtic (or anyone else) influence on the proposal/vote, just pointing out that there was a route for that influence to be effective, and one that was, in fact, aided by that self-preservation motive.

4 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Problem is that the premiership teams will just pull the ladder up if possible. 

It’s all about self interest and there are at least 3 teams who will vote down any attempt to prematurely end the season because they’ll be at risk of being the unlucky team sat in 12th come any shutdown. 

So it’s probably in our interest for us to proceed with no plan and if/when a shutdown comes along, you’ll be left with one vulnerable team who will be shat on by the rest. 

As for Lennon/Celtic grievances re: Rangers players breaking Covid rules - I don’t get the outrage. Wasn’t the problem with Celtic and Aberdeen that the players broke rules then rejoined the squad? Whereas the rangers players were isolated before coming back into contact with the rest of the squad? Totally different problems surely. 

Celtic got off lightly! Their player actually played for them after returning - which would make him ineligible (not in the registration sense, of course)... but he was arrested for his actions and Celtic should have been deducted points. 

5 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

"The celtic influence is debatable" ???

FFS 

I know.  Celtic (Lawell) orchestrated the whole thing.  Their silence throughout the summer was sickening.  It was awesone seeing them pumped out of the CL by a team that actually won their domestic league.  It will be even funnier when they lose to us in the SC Final as well as that 9.76 iar thing. 

2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

I know.  Celtic (Lawell) orchestrated the whole thing.  Their silence throughout the summer was sickening.  It was awesone seeing them pumped out of the CL by a team that actually won their domestic league.  It will be even funnier when they lose to us in the SC Final as well as that 9.76 iar thing. 

I find it incredible that some people failed to grasp the reality of who to blame for this year's events, or knew but have miraculously forgotten already.

part_time_jambo
8 hours ago, Jerah Jambo said:

It takes a bit of skill to turn a pandemic into a Rangers/Celtic thing but Neil's the master of deflection and it should come as no surprise 🤷‍♂️

He has a point though.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 04/11/2020 at 04:28, Glamorgan Jambo said:

I saw it being reported that Nicola Sturgeon commented that there was the possibility of some fans being inside grounds in Tier 1 regions fairly soon. That will be Ross County, Inverness CT and Elgin City if I'm correctly guessing.

Let's see how enthusiastically the SPFL/SFA grasp this opportunity. Seems the logical thing to do but never underestimate the narrow mindedness of the 'football authorities'.

They've been very quiet about it so far. despite the fact that this is what they've been moaning about and lobbying for months. Now it's happening, just not to the two clubs they wanted 🤣

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

"The celtic influence is debatable" ???

FFS 

The extent of it is. 

I don't think all clubs voted the way they did because celtic wanted them to or told them to. 

Most are just selfish, short sighted picks who had their own agenda. 

The Dundee one is the vote that sticks out, all other clubs not so much imo. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The extent of it is. 

I don't think all clubs voted the way they did because celtic wanted them to or told them to. 

Aye, but the point you are missing is that celtc arranged for that vote - with Dungcaster's help - precisely because they knew that "the selfish, short sighted pricks with their own agenda" would automatically fall into line. They would have fallen into line whoever presented the proposal. It so happens that celtc were the ones who came up with it precisely because they were the ones who would benefit.

23 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The extent of it is. 

And sorry to labour the point, but by the same token, Hearts relegation was not done through any hatred of Hearts (that would suggest that Partick Thistle were hated too (and nobody hates the cuddly toy of Scottish football).

IMO, Hearts just happened to be in the wrong place when the celtc/Doncaster agenda simply had to be met. Whoever was in that position was doomed.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JDK2020 said:

And sorry to labour the point, but by the same token, Hearts relegation was not done through any hatred of Hearts (that would suggest that Partick Thistle were hated too (and nobody hates the cuddly toy of Scottish football).

IMO, Hearts just happened to be in the wrong place when the celtc/Doncaster agenda simply had to be met. Whoever was in that position was doomed.

Yip, but the clubs could have stopped it, they never. 

Titles 

Promotion 

Bus fares 

Money 

Clubs had their own reasons. 

The Dundee reasoning and to promote their rivals is a strange one tho. 

Still can't work that one out. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, but the clubs could have stopped it, they never. 

Titles 

Promotion 

Bus fares 

Money 

Clubs had their own reasons. 

The Dundee reasoning and to promote their rivals is a strange one tho. 

Still can't work that one out. 

You forgetting their yankee owner was promised a money spinning match against "a big hitter". I'm sure the prospect of an exhibition match between Dundee and Celtic in Boston or similar has been mooted before.

14 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

I have to disagree. I think clubs absolutely put the boot in because it was Hearts. 
some at the bottom were probably thinking we could of got up the league to safety so booted us to save their own scared arses. Others like the vermin and sheep booted us because we are seen as a potential threat when we got our shit together so relegate is and hope we disappear for years. And make no mistake, although not really a threat to them Celtic feking hate is as they see us as mini huns.

in my opinion it was all about it being Hearts.  The vermin spunked away £100,000 let’s never forget

8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I have to disagree. I think clubs absolutely put the boot in because it was Hearts. 
some at the bottom were probably thinking we could of got up the league to safety so booted us to save their own scared arses. Others like the vermin and sheep booted us because we are seen as a potential threat when we got our shit together so relegate is and hope we disappear for years. And make no mistake, although not really a threat to them Celtic feking hate is as they see us as mini huns.

in my opinion it was all about it being Hearts.  The vermin spunked away £100,000 let’s never forget

Nah, I honestly don't see that, but I respect your opinion. 

Just now, JDK2020 said:

Nah, I honestly don't see that, but I respect your opinion. 

I do yours too. Think I’m maybe just a bit too bitter after it all. Hey it’s all about opinions 👍👍

On 04/11/2020 at 15:45, Smith's right boot said:

It did. 

Doncaster didn't actually decide anything, he never does. He just administrates. 

The celtic influence is debatable. Teams were always going to vote to save their skin, think short term and not care about anything else. 

The clubs voted for what was best for them, plain and simple imo. 

Didn't are who else was shat on, even after the first vote there was ample opportunity to mitigate damage to clubs like ourselves and Partick, they still refused. 

If St Mirren and us were in reverse positions, they would have 100% voted differently, possibly even we would have. 

If rangers and celtic were reversed it would be the same. 

We might actually find out how clubs will vote again, but imo each club will see where they are before deciding what is best for them and giving some statement about there was no other option and it was the best solution, blah, blah. 

If it was / is the only and best solution, vote on it now. 

Have a solution in place in now. 

*******s 

I agree.  If the clubs this time had voted to leave matters in the hands of the SPFL, then I don't doubt that the SPFL would use last season as a precedent and call things the same way, so if we were top of the league, we'd be promoted.  We now have the option for clubs to again vote in their own self interest, so clubs who think it's in their own best interest to keep us in the Championship might vote differently than they did last season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

I agree.  If the clubs this time had voted to leave matters in the hands of the SPFL, then I don't doubt that the SPFL would use last season as a precedent and call things the same way, so if we were top of the league, we'd be promoted.  We now have the option for clubs to again vote in their own self interest, so clubs who think it's in their own best interest to keep us in the Championship might vote differently than they did last season. 

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how anyone who supported the way the season ended last time justifies ending it in a different way this time. The only other options were to pause the season and play games later, null and void or reconstruction. All were dismissed pretty much out of hand and in fact clubs weren't given a choice of ways to end it - it was simply vote Yes or No to vote to end the season and demote teams. The SPFL would have to explain why null and void for example should be on the table this time around when it wasn't considered last time.

We were told very clearly that it wasn't the time for reconstruction and that null and void was unfair on teams at the top and would mean no prize money and TV money being repaid. Basically, it was made very clear that ending the season the way they did was the ONLY way.

Edited by ToqueJambo

8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The vote passed after Hibs and Aberdeen changed their decision. Dundee as well of course but they would have been irrelevant. 

Edited by Mikey1874

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how anyone who supported the way the season ended last time justifies ending it in a different way this time. The only other options were to pause the season and play games later, null and void or reconstruction. All were dismissed pretty much out of hand and in fact clubs weren't given a choice of ways to end it - it was simply vote Yes or No to vote to end the season and demote teams. The SPFL would have to explain why null and void for example should be on the table this time around when it wasn't considered last time.

We were told very clearly that it wasn't the time for reconstruction and that null and void was unfair on teams at the top and would mean no prize money and TV money being repaid. Basically, it was made very clear that ending the season the way they did was the ONLY way.

And when the SPFL went to court to argue that promotion and relegation are fundamental and must happen. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

it was all about Celtic, Doncaster is just Lawells puppet. They used the new TV deal as an excuse to end the season as was and claimed that they would owe money back to the TV companies if they didn't end it (which was a blatant lie as they incidentally had to do that anyway).

Hagar the Horrible

The Vote was presented as the only option, some cash strapped clubs fell for the lies as debating it would be both futile and costly.  Doncaster presented the only option with a Liewell shaped boot on his head, to ensure They got their title at all costs, turned out the lie had a cost

Null and void was not an option as they could not pay out the money and they would have to pay back the TV money, only AB proved it could be done as it has been done before, then guess what all the unused TV money ended up being paid back anyway!

When 1 third of the clubs voted for an independant investigation and a vote of no confidence, it should have happened, 3 clubs voting for it should have been enough, but one rousing speach and guess what the back benchers all towed the party line by chief whip Liewell

1 hour ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

it was all about Celtic, Doncaster is just Lawells puppet. They used the new TV deal as an excuse to end the season as was and claimed that they would owe money back to the TV companies if they didn't end it (which was a blatant lie as they incidentally had to do that anyway).

Thank God for you and HtH posting.

I was beginning to think I'd imagined all the events of the spring/summer and that septic fc and Doncaster had fecked everyone over to grant them *8.76 in a row.

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

You forgetting their yankee owner was promised a money spinning match against "a big hitter". I'm sure the prospect of an exhibition match between Dundee and Celtic in Boston or similar has been mooted before.

The Dundee motives are definitely dubious. 

The fact the clubs  don't want to agree on a solution now should things need a decision again in the future,tells me that clubs want to see where they are before voting. 

3 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Spot on, they needed to call the league so Celtic were champions, got their 9iar and their Champions League slot.  If the gap between Celtic and Rangers had been very close, they would never have dared to try and end the season early.  Imagine if Celtic had been 2 points ahead of Rangers, but Rangers had a game in hand and applying the points average approach meant Rangers won the league by a fraction of a point.  There is no way that would have been considered as an option.

Also, does anyone think the Scottish Cup would have been played out if Celtic had lost in the quarter finals?  No way, it's only Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Motherwell who would be losing out on the chance of a trophy.

45 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Spot on, they needed to call the league so Celtic were champions, got their 9iar and their Champions League slot.  If the gap between Celtic and Rangers had been very close, they would never have dared to try and end the season early.  Imagine if Celtic had been 2 points ahead of Rangers, but Rangers had a game in hand and applying the points average approach meant Rangers won the league by a fraction of a point.  There is no way that would have been considered as an option.

Also, does anyone think the Scottish Cup would have been played out if Celtic had lost in the quarter finals?  No way, it's only Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Motherwell who would be losing out on the chance of a trophy.

It's almost like you are suggesting the game here is a sham. The number of parties involved in this sham is wide and varied. Stakeholders, I think.they are called

We all know the argument if null n void... last season, we'd played 78% of the season when it was called.  Right up until that point this season (and maybe beyond, you never know), they'll feel null n void is still an option (depending who is where in league especially).

Fact remains, if the league is called early, the single fairest way of doing things is curtailing relegation and allowing promotion.  Kick in the baws for teams in 3rd/4th spots etc, but they're losing out on a chance rather than being punished, and they're also in the same place they would be should the other options be taken.

Thing is, the way things are going, it feels like if we get to 78%, we'll complete the league.  It's getting that far will be the big one.  My gut says we finish this season.  And it'll be fun waving to hopefully 2 Prem teams as we pass them on the way up.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, RobNox said:

Given the financial mess the SFA are in, it was maybe an attempt to get money into their bank. Behind closed doors for the cup and Scotland games has burst them. Still be taking their fat salaries though. Just like the "able guy" over the corridor at the SPFL.

1 hour ago, bean counter said:

They devalued the Cup when they took away the European place that went with winning it

They didn't really have much choice there. How could the winners get a European place when the European competitions started about four months before the Cup final will be played? 

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Given the financial mess the SFA are in, it was maybe an attempt to get money into their bank. Behind closed doors for the cup and Scotland games has burst them. Still be taking their fat salaries though. Just like the "able guy" over the corridor at the SPFL.

Yeh I think we all would like to believe it was for Celtics benefit but the reality of the situation is being laid bare.

1) They thought semi and final money would be coming in with fans through the gates

2) They cant afford to payback Premier sports for a null and void.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, bean counter said:

They devalued the Cup when they took away the European place that went with winning it

Don't even need to win it. With Celtic in the final that spot is now by rights ours. Just yet another way we've been screwed over. We should send an invoice to Aberdeen.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

We all know the argument if null n void... last season, we'd played 78% of the season when it was called.  Right up until that point this season (and maybe beyond, you never know), they'll feel null n void is still an option (depending who is where in league especially).

Fact remains, if the league is called early, the single fairest way of doing things is curtailing relegation and allowing promotion.  Kick in the baws for teams in 3rd/4th spots etc, but they're losing out on a chance rather than being punished, and they're also in the same place they would be should the other options be taken.

Thing is, the way things are going, it feels like if we get to 78%, we'll complete the league.  It's getting that far will be the big one.  My gut says we finish this season.  And it'll be fun waving to hopefully 2 Prem teams as we pass them on the way up.

That was only their argument because it just so happened that's how much of the season had been played.

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Don't even need to win it. With Celtic in the final that spot is now by rights ours. Just yet another way we've been screwed over. We should send an invoice to Aberdeen.

Cup runner-uppers (where the winners have already qualified) no longer get a European spot, that was done away with a few years ago.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Cup runner-uppers (where the winners have already qualified) no longer get a European spot, that was done away with a few years ago.

Didn't know that. Still, Aberdeen should not have got whatever money they received for the European spot - at least the first qualifying round they were in which was 220,000 euros. That should have been ring fenced and given to Hearts or Hibs if they won the cup.

I make it they got around 800,000 euros for playing in Q1, Q2 and Q3 as a result of that decision, and their own vote to end the league, to hand them the European place. So much for Scottish football looking after each other.

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Didn't know that. Still, Aberdeen should not have got whatever money they received for the European spot - at least the first qualifying round they were in which was 220,000 euros. That should have been ring fenced and given to Hearts or Hibs if they won the cup.

I make it they got around 800,000 euros for playing in Q1, Q2 and Q3 as a result of that decision, and their own vote to end the league, to hand them the European place. So much for Scottish football looking after each other.

We would've had a European spot last season (we were cup runners up in 2019) if the rule had still been in place. Yeah lm not sure how else they could've handled the Euro spots but l agree with you that Aberdeen should've ring fenced the Euro money if Hearts or Hibs had won the cup. However, this is Scottish football where self interest/greed reigns and innovative ideas don't exist.

Guest ToqueJambo
16 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6279128/aberdeen-mcinnes-pittodrie-fans-covid-considine/

Aberdeen expecting £5m loss in match day income.  Also saying they're averaging 1,800 fans on PPV.  Wonder what uptake other clubs are getting on streams.

1800 seems pretty decent - 1,800 walk-up fans in addition to ST holders basically.

On 12/11/2020 at 20:43, Mikey1874 said:

Our leagues were bailed out by a businessman introduced to them by a a championship club. 

Still angers me that folk like Ron Gordon and Lawell took that money. 

On 06/11/2020 at 23:58, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

We would've had a European spot last season (we were cup runners up in 2019) if the rule had still been in place. Yeah lm not sure how else they could've handled the Euro spots but l agree with you that Aberdeen should've ring fenced the Euro money if Hearts or Hibs had won the cup. However, this is Scottish football where self interest/greed reigns and innovative ideas don't exist.

Just one of those decisions that was rushed through with zero thought and which had a severe impact on us. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Our leagues were bailed out by a businessman introduced to them by a a championship club. 

Still angers me that folk like Ron Gordon and Lawell took that money. 

Tbf to Gordon and Lawell l think they gave the Anderson money straight to charity. However, Anderson shouldn't have had to make any donation in the first place though if we had competent leaders (instead of that incompetent crook Doncaster) that could find better money, even sponsorship of the league and better distribution throughout the leagues.

Another game off due to Covid.

Again because Albion Rovers aren't testing, 3 players having Covid is enough to prevent them playing because they don't know their other players are safe.

At least Hamilton get to win a game. 

Footballfirst
On 12/11/2020 at 20:43, Mikey1874 said:

The think that the quoted tweet was a dig at Stoke City.

Stoke is owned by the betting group BET365, who made a profit of £682m in 2019 according to their last accounts.  BET365 is owned by the Coates family.  Their major shareholder and director, Denise Coates, took an eye watering salary of £277m in 2019 (up from £220m in 2018)

Edited by Footballfirst

That's quite a staggering amount of profit for a betting company, albeit mostly online betting.  I can understand why some might be tight to give them a bailout. 

Edited by HMFC01

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )