Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I agree in principle with your last sentence unless the player has genuine challenging circumstances.

Well of course you would assume hopefully that this would be the only genuine reasons for not agreeing to the reduction AB requested.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Pasquale for King

Roma players have agreed to go without pay for four months and give money to furloughed staff to top up their wages.
Chelsea’s agree to a 10% cut 🙈.

Whats our bottom of the league heroes doing 🤷🏾‍♂️?

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Roma players have agreed to go without pay for four months and give money to furloughed staff to top up their wages.

Apologies, my friend. 

Just went on to your profile in error. Jumpy screen etc. 

I've never deliberately looked at anyone's and hate when it happens accidentally.

Always feels a bit snoopy. 😊

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Apologies, my friend. 

Just went on to your profile in error. Jumpy screen etc. 

I've never deliberately looked at anyone's and hate when it happens accidentally.

Always feels a bit snoopy. 😊

I know I do that too by mistake sometimes. I can’t remember who it was but a new name had appeared and was a bit controversial, I accidentally clicked on his profile and saw 3 mods had been in it too that day 😆.

51 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know I do that too by mistake sometimes. I can’t remember who it was but a new name had appeared and was a bit controversial, I accidentally clicked on his profile and saw 3 mods had been in it too that day 😆.

👍

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/club-update-1-2

The board’s priority has always been to both protect jobs and ensure the club’s survival during these unprecedented times.

The effects of the Covid-19 pandemic means that many of our operations have effectively been brought to a standstill. We are now in a position whereby we can fully utilise the Government’s Job Retention Scheme, and as such we have taken the decision to furlough the majority of non-football employees. This will safe guard jobs and guarantee those employees 80% of their income. The club will ensure that no member of staff falls below the Living Wage rate. We will continually review the situation and look forward to welcoming staff back when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

A number of members of staff continue to operate fully within their roles to ensure we are in the best position possible when football returns.

The club continues to work with the football department to find the best solution to the current situation, with the same objectives in mind, namely to protect jobs and our future.

21 minutes ago, OTT said:

Take it we have no news on whether or not the players are capable of doing the decent thing whilst people die?

What a terrible post

You really should be thinking long and hard as to whether your post should be available for all and sundry to read

Just so depressing that there are people posting such nonsense

It truly beggars belief...OTT says it all

Ex member of the SaS

I would look at each players circumstances and IF they can't take a cut then fine. Those who can't and won't, then use the rules and get rid with Clause 12.

The club is more important and the club's survival is paramount and way above what the media want to portray, IF it means the club survives then to hell with the sun ,Record or EEN.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I would look at each players circumstances and IF they can't take a cut then fine. Those who can't and won't, then use the rules and get rid with Clause 12.

The club is more important and the club's survival is paramount and way above what the media want to portray, IF it means the club survives then to hell with the sun ,Record or EEN.

Its not about whether players can afford to take a cut or not!!!

The players work in the entertainment industry and at present and for the foreseeable future there are no paying customers!!

I hope the only reason why Clause 12 hasn't already been applied is the slim hope that the season can be resumed.

shaun.lawson
20 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

This is flawed. How rich are Chelsea and Roma's players likely to be? How rich are Hearts' players likely to be?

The problem the players face is massive. For anyone out of contract from the end of June (or early June, in some clubs' cases?), if there's no football, there's no other job for them. None. In that situation, it's universal credit for them. 

An awful load of guff is imagined about how rich footballers are. At elite level, sure. At SPFL level, hardly. They have bills to pay and families to feed like anyone else. They also have, unlike the rest of us, short careers.

I'm just wondering how many of those lambasting them have themselves taken a pay cut, or could afford to.

Edited by shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson
14 hours ago, OTT said:

Take it we have no news on whether or not the players are capable of doing the decent thing whilst people die?

You may recall that appalling letter sent by "a soldier's daughter" to the Evening News which referred to Hearts' 1914/15 squad as the "White Feathers of Midlothian". That disgusting letter, which hugely intensified the pressure on those poor players, was based on the kind of callous, spiteful ignorance which seems endemic in humanity. 

Apart from none of them being asked to sacrifice their lives, thank heavens, your post above really isn't that dissimilar. Especially in the emotional blackmail you employ. You know zero about any of these players' circumstances; you'll probably forget about them instantly once they're no longer at Hearts; you might even be more employable than they are if there's no football; but you still feel you can judge them regardless. 

SectionDJambo
16 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

You may recall that appalling letter sent by "a soldier's daughter" to the Evening News which referred to Hearts' 1914/15 squad as the "White Feathers of Midlothian". That disgusting letter, which hugely intensified the pressure on those poor players, was based on the kind of callous, spiteful ignorance which seems endemic in humanity. 

Apart from none of them being asked to sacrifice their lives, thank heavens, your post above really isn't that dissimilar. Especially in the emotional blackmail you employ. You know zero about any of these players' circumstances; you'll probably forget about them instantly once they're no longer at Hearts; you might even be more employable than they are if there's no football; but you still feel you can judge them regardless. 

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, it had to be remembered that the players are being asked to take the cut in wages when the club are not able to generate the funds, through the main operation of playing games in front of spectators, to pay them in full. Nobody could have foreseen this.

They will be the same as everyone else, in that they can arrange mortgage and loan payment holidays. Nobody can spend their money in pubs, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, shops etc., or on holidays.

I’ve heard people say they’re managing to save like never before, even though they’ve been furloughed. Why can’t our players, who seem to have been given very favourable terms by the club, with little need for performance bonuses, give something back? By the time they pay less tax and NHI, the net cut won’t be 50%.
There is, of course, the situation of players whose contracts will expire soon and will struggle to get employment elsewhere. If the club goes bust, they’ll have the same problem. 
Nobody can reasonably expect to be paid, in full as normal, by an employer who has little or no income, due to this virus. 
As for the clubs deferring wages, they are sitting on a financial time bomb, which their players will happily move on from, as long as they get their money.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
32 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

But extreme with your tone Lawson but I broadly agree. People dying has nothing to do with football wage deferrals.

That said, I reserve the right to forget about these players instantly when they leave because in footballing terms they’re a complete embarrassment.

shaun.lawson
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But extreme with your tone Lawson but I broadly agree. People dying has nothing to do with football wage deferrals.

That said, I reserve the right to forget about these players instantly when they leave because in footballing terms they’re a complete embarrassment.

As do I. As do all of us! They're still human beings in the same hellish boat as the rest of us though. 

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, it had to be remembered that the players are being asked to take the cut in wages when the club are not able to generate the funds, through the main operation of playing games in front of spectators, to pay them in full. Nobody could have foreseen this.

They will be the same as everyone else, in that they can arrange mortgage and loan payment holidays. Nobody can spend their money in pubs, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, shops etc., or on holidays.

I’ve heard people say they’re managing to save like never before, even though they’ve been furloughed. Why can’t our players, who seem to have been given very favourable terms by the club, with little need for performance bonuses, give something back? By the time they pay less tax and NHI, the net cut won’t be 50%.
There is, of course, the situation of players whose contracts will expire soon and will struggle to get employment elsewhere. If the club goes bust, they’ll have the same problem. 
Nobody can reasonably expect to be paid, in full as normal, by an employer who has little or no income, due to this virus. 
As for the clubs deferring wages, they are sitting on a financial time bomb, which their players will happily move on from, as long as they get their money.

Great response, thanks!

My deepest issue concerns those players, as you mention yourself, whose contracts expire in the summer. They're heading for a horrendous situation - which at least some of them will have no chance of affording at all. 

But more broadly? God knows. The uncertainty of all this is impossible for everyone. For the players, the club, football in general, the world in general. Probably every one of us is having to take evasive action to some degree: which in turn, means others get it in the neck. Who knows what the way out of this will be?

jamboinglasgow
36 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I think football and footballers are an easy target. Because it can bring such big emotions its an easy one to have a go at, but ignores that the rich footballers are a small percentage of those earning a living playing football. 

I think it says a lot that Newcastle United will get more criticism about furlowing staff than Sports Direct does. I also think huge companies who have done everything possible to pay as little tax to the UK are running adverts showing solidaty with the NHS or maybe doing a charity think to raise a couple of million max for NHS related charities. It rings hollow that had they paid the correct tax the NHS would much more money to fund it. I know this is a wider point than football, but you would hope one thing that comes from this is to question the tax policies of companies who are looking to take every government option to have the government pay their workers. I think the biggest example of this brass neck was the cruise industry who are famous for registering to any country that has lowest tax and least regulation suddenly demanding a bail out from the US government.

Point is, footballers are the easy target, there are industries and companies and rich individuals who should have a lot more pressure on them first.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Pretty much how I see it as well,if they don't want to help bail us out the mess they got us in then time to use clause 12 

shaun.lawson
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

I think football and footballers are an easy target. Because it can bring such big emotions its an easy one to have a go at, but ignores that the rich footballers are a small percentage of those earning a living playing football. 

I think it says a lot that Newcastle United will get more criticism about furlowing staff than Sports Direct does. I also think huge companies who have done everything possible to pay as little tax to the UK are running adverts showing solidaty with the NHS or maybe doing a charity think to raise a couple of million max for NHS related charities. It rings hollow that had they paid the correct tax the NHS would much more money to fund it. I know this is a wider point than football, but you would hope one thing that comes from this is to question the tax policies of companies who are looking to take every government option to have the government pay their workers. I think the biggest example of this brass neck was the cruise industry who are famous for registering to any country that has lowest tax and least regulation suddenly demanding a bail out from the US government.

Point is, footballers are the easy target, there are industries and companies and rich individuals who should have a lot more pressure on them first.

100%. And the UK government knew all this when turning its ire on Premier League footballers, as you say. Cheap, cynical, puerile politics. 

Today, we have Richard Branson demanding a bailout. Which sums the whole thing up frankly. No doubt he'll use it to sue the NHS again... :rolleyes: 

SectionDJambo
5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Great response, thanks!

My deepest issue concerns those players, as you mention yourself, whose contracts expire in the summer. They're heading for a horrendous situation - which at least some of them will have no chance of affording at all. 

But more broadly? God knows. The uncertainty of all this is impossible for everyone. For the players, the club, football in general, the world in general. Probably every one of us is having to take evasive action to some degree: which in turn, means others get it in the neck. Who knows what the way out of this will be?

The player contracts, which expire at the end of this season, were seemingly a major factor in clubs voting for the SPFL motion. More than one club representative has been quite happy to mention being certain, after the vote, of being able to get players off the payroll, whom they weren’t going to keep anyway.

I’m surprised the players’ union weren’t all over it, after the fiasco of that process, especially when the motives were declared on national radio.

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

100%. And the UK government knew all this when turning its ire on Premier League footballers, as you say. Cheap, cynical, puerile politics. 

Today, we have Richard Branson demanding a bailout. Which sums the whole thing up frankly. No doubt he'll use it to sue the NHS again... :rolleyes: 

Private Eye had a good graphic a few weeks back showing how much money Branson's various Virgin companies have demanded or taken from the government. Needless to say his companies rake it in through the government.

Also was going to say, I see Denmark and Poland are refusing to bail out companies who are registered in offshore tax havens.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Unknown user
1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

The player contracts, which expire at the end of this season, were seemingly a major factor in clubs voting for the SPFL motion. More than one club representative has been quite happy to mention being certain, after the vote, of being able to get players off the payroll, whom they weren’t going to keep anyway.

I’m surprised the players’ union weren’t all over it, after the fiasco of that process, especially when the motives were declared on national radio.

Surely if the contracts are expiring it doesn't matter what the motives are and the union have nothing to complain about.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

This is flawed. How rich are Chelsea and Roma's players likely to be? How rich are Hearts' players likely to be?

The problem the players face is massive. For anyone out of contract from the end of June (or early June, in some clubs' cases?), if there's no football, there's no other job for them. None. In that situation, it's universal credit for them. 

An awful load of guff is imagined about how rich footballers are. At elite level, sure. At SPFL level, hardly. They have bills to pay and families to feed like anyone else. They also have, unlike the rest of us, short careers.

I'm just wondering how many of those lambasting them have themselves taken a pay cut, or could afford to.

My heart bleeds for them, they’re doing a job most of the population would love to do and unfortunately for them the real world will catch up with them soon enough.

Roma players have done a very honourable thing and should be praised for that.

Chelsea players not so much or any other teams players that haven’t taken a big cut for doing a 30 minute Zoom workout with teammates.

Sone of our players have obviously followed Wisharts poor advice and have no comeback if they were taken off the payroll via Article 12. 
Naismith kind of debunks you’re point, he’s done well for himself and can afford to take a 50% and deserves credit for this.

People on any level of wages usually spend the money and players are no different, like the rest of us they have nothing to spend their money on apart from bills and food just now and should be willing to take a cut to help their employers through this period or they might not have jobs to go back too. The thousands of players that are out of contract will be out of work and unlikely to be picked up, that happens to people all the time unfortunately.

I could take a pay cut, I asked my boss for £100 a week to cover food and bills before Furlough came on the scene, he was going to give me double that out his own pocket. I earned m good money in my youth on the oil rigs for a year and saved a bit but it’s long gone,  i haven’t even paid my student loan back yet. It can be done, players maybe need to learn how to.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Its looking like no fans at games this year going by the scottish goverments latest announcement.

I hope these players are now accepting wage cuts are the only alternative and by the sounds of it most have.

If you are ever thinking about contributing to FOH now is the time we need to keep cash coming through the door to keep us going.

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Great post. Speaking for myself I feel a bit bad about sitting around picking up full pay, my wife and three best pals are all key workers bad working harder than ever.

Ive been donating to charities and food banks as well as the clubs who didn’t vote to expel us from the top league. I doubt if some of our players are feeling the same way.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Absolutely 

21 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Private Eye had a good graphic a few weeks back showing how much money Branson's various Virgin companies have demanded or taken from the government. Needless to say his companies rake it in through the government.

Also was going to say, I see Denmark and Poland are refusing to bail out companies who are registered in offshore tax havens.

Good on them.

Branson now begging for a bail out or parts of his business will go bust, why should he get it more than any other business?

Edited by Pasquale for King

tolcross lad
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I dont think it does us any good to go down the road of whataboutery.We could tie ourselves in knots on that one.

My main concern is the survival of HMFC.

Players at our level come and go.They try to get the best deal that they can and are always open to offers from other clubs.Now and again you get a player who connects with the fans the club and whose abilities keep him at our level but generally there is little loyalty in football.It cuts both ways.

We are talking about players who have contracts on average likely to be around less than 18 months.The first team squads average salary last season was £137,000.To the ordinary fan thats not bad going if you can get it.If they have upped their lifestyle based on that kind of money thats on them.Ever heard of saving for a rainy day.

If we cant afford to pay the wages then we should not pay.I dont want the club getting into further debt and putting itself at risk nor as a FOH member do I want to see my donations paid to sustain this group of players but I would be prepared to support permanent employees of the club.

SectionDJambo
29 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Surely if the contracts are expiring it doesn't matter what the motives are and the union have nothing to complain about.

They was talk of UEFA or FIFA extending players contracts by the length of the suspension, meaning clubs would still be paying them beyond the original end date, and players wouldn’t be able to move on, even if they found another club willing to pay them under these circumstances.

Whether that would have stood in a court of law is another matter, but it was mentioned by club representatives on Sportsound.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

They was talk of UEFA or FIFA extending players contracts by the length of the suspension, meaning clubs would still be paying them beyond the original end date, and players wouldn’t be able to move on, even if they found another club willing to pay them under these circumstances.

Whether that would have stood in a court of law is another matter, but it was mentioned by club representatives on Sportsound.

They can't force all players across god knows how many legal jurisdictions to accept changes to their contract, it's an idea that I heard but it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

They can't force all players across god knows how many legal jurisdictions to accept changes to their contract, it's an idea that I heard but it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

I agree, but the clubs in the SPFL didn’t want to take the chance. They live in a bubble of mistrust with each other, so maybe assume others could make decisions that would hurt them too.

Selkirkhmfc1874

I've no sympathy whatsoever for the highly paid underachievers we've had the misfortune of watching this season and wouldn't be at all disappointed if Mrs Budge made them all redundant with the exception of Hickey , Smith and the academy kids 

annushorribilis III
43 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think you're misreading this.The intention was to give clubs & players the opportunity to extend the contracts on a short term basis in order to see the season out and avoid the need for hasty contract negotiations to retain players. 

There's a wee article on Garuccio on the evening news about him being committed to hearts if we get expelled or stay.  He has a year left.  I thought he was ok for hearts but injury didn't help his chances to get longer spells in the team.  

12 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

There's a wee article on Garuccio on the evening news about him being committed to hearts if we get expelled or stay.  He has a year left.  I thought he was ok for hearts but injury didn't help his chances to get longer spells in the team.  

His performance in the cup game at Falkirk confirmed he would struggle playing in their league far less our league. File under another  rotten left back. Even pre injury his performance in the five nil Livi game was shocking (particularly so)

I wont be campaigning for him to get signed up long term.  If the manager thinks he's worth keeping, that's good enough for me.

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

I think you're misreading this.The intention was to give clubs & players the opportunity to extend the contracts on a short term basis in order to see the season out and avoid the need for hasty contract negotiations to retain players. 

Maybe.

But I heard at least one club official, on Sportsound, say that it was a factor in them wanting their season called, so could empty players, on time, whose contracts were going to be up this summer.

Maybe they misread it too, though.

annushorribilis III
6 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Maybe.

But I heard at least one club official, on Sportsound, say that it was a factor in them wanting their season called, so could empty players, on time, whose contracts were going to be up this summer.

Maybe they misread it too, though.

That would explain the rush to close the season - dump the players. They must be delighted. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Undecided about him for the Premiership, but the type of character and player who will be good for our promotion season.

Being really cold and business like, anyone who’s contract is expiring should go. There will be loads of players available once we start playing again. Horrible to say out loud, but we are in survival mode

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Footballers in these circumstances are no different from the many people who work contract to contract. They'll need to lower their renumeration expectations, eat into their savings and adjust their career aims like everyone else.

Edited by ToqueJambo

My thoughts are that next season will be a write off for fans going and even closed door games. It’ll be all about keeping clubs afloat and some will close.

looking at the likes of Hibs and what a mess. Deferred payments was absolutely bonking mad. Said without any sense of realism and that will bite them big time. Good. Hope they feel it like Aberdeen, Dundee especially.

We are lucky that we have £120,000 a month coming in from FOH.  Many players contracts will expire and we will unfortunately likely invoke that clause 12.

We will rally like we have done. I won’t bat an eyelid for the clubs that put the boot in to us (obviously jobs aside for their honest employees).

Dempster looks like she’s beginning to shit her pants. Good

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

My thoughts are that next season will be a write off for fans going and even closed door games. It’ll be all about keeping clubs afloat and some will close.

looking at the likes of Hibs and what a mess. Deferred payments was absolutely bonking mad. Said without any sense of realism and that will bite them big time. Good. Hope they feel it like Aberdeen, Dundee especially.

We are lucky that we have £120,000 a month coming in from FOH.  Many players contracts will expire and we will unfortunately likely invoke that clause 12.

We will rally like we have done. I won’t bat an eyelid for the clubs that put the boot in to us (obviously jobs aside for their honest employees).

Hibs fans often said we only did well in the Championship because we had a reason to all pull together. They were looking forward to us trying to do it again on the back of a horrible couple of seasons with a disillusioned support.

The muppets just gave us the same reason, but whereas last time it was more or less 100% our own doing, 2008 crash not withstanding, this time we have a genuine sense of injustice to fire us straight back to the Prem. We just need the idiots who claim to be Hearts fans but say we "deserve" to go down to rally round as well.

Edited by ToqueJambo

17 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

12 team league - 22 games

14 team league - 26 games 

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hibs fans often said we only did well in the Championship because we had a reason to all pull together. They were looking forward to us trying to do it again on the back of a horrible couple of seasons with a disillusioned support.

The muppets just gave us the same reason, but whereas last time it was more or less 100% our own doing, 2008 crash not withstanding, this time we have a genuine sense of injustice to fire us straight back to the Prem. We just need the idiots who claim to be Hearts fans but say we "deserve" to go down to rally round as well.

spot on again.

We could have easily gone the way of Sunderland.

This injustice and the removal of budge et al should see us all pull in the right direction. The club will be galvanised.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Rods said:

spot on again.

We could have easily gone the way of Sunderland.

This injustice and the removal of budge et al should see us all pull in the right direction. The club will be galvanised.

I honesty thought if we got relegated we could easily stay down. Didn;t think so many Hearts fans would have the appetite without major change.

This changes all that. I've got no doubt at all we'd be straight back up. Not only will the Championship be without teams like D Utd, etc from the last few years but all of the teams will have been massively weakened financially. Most will just be happy to still be alive. Meanwhile, our fan base plus FoH will see immediate strong cash flow way beyond any other championship club and at least half of the Premiership.

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

No-one will blame us for invoking clause 12 either. It'll have been forced on us by relegation with 8 games to go.

Actually, the usual suspects will blame us, but who cares.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Love it 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I honesty thought if we got relegated we could easily stay down. Didn;t think so many Hearts fans would have the appetite without major change.

This changes all that. I've got no doubt at all we'd be straight back up. Not only will the Championship be without teams like D Utd, etc from the last few years but all of the teams will have been massively weakened financially. Most will just be happy to still be alive. Meanwhile, our fan base plus FoH will see immediate strong cash flow way beyond any other championship club and at least half of the Premiership.

Agree 

the only caveat is I'm not sure we'd come straight back up with Daniel in charge. 

Im far from convinced by him . 

heartsfc_fan

Don't understand why some clubs are asking their players to "defer" wages. Idiotic idea. Why not just make them take a wage cut?

How does that help the club in any way long term?

I've taken an (albeit small) 5% cut on my salary because of the current pandemic. I don't earn a 6 figure wage but some of the higher earners took 15-20%. I was more than happy to take it to help them company. And that's a CUT not a defer.

I don't get that money back.

They should be glad they have a job ffs. Some of them won't in a few weeks.