Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

The strategy of high basic and low bonus doesn't appear to have captured the imagination of those on the payroll 

Exactly.

Mercenaries.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

9 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Then we boycott their stadiums when we get back, do you think next year Hamilton will fill the cash gap over us.....Naw and besides as this will go on, so its all about who will survive without going into admin and then who will be able to compete coming OUT of admin, and the rest well good night Vienna!!!!!!!

League recontruction will be based on Darwin and it will be forced upon us all

Cash injections will be required by all clubs, so having one of the biggest sellable box office showcase clubs in the lower league when there is no league sponsor, talk about turkeys with voting rights

I agree with you totally but never underestimate the bitterness and tribalism that is Scottish football . 

If they can still get their 3 games minimum against Celtic and Rangers that's all they will be conserned about . You've got to remember we're dealing with self centred idiots here not broad minded intellects 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The problem will be the chairman of the other Spfl clubs , they will want Hearts relegated  under the pretence of league reconstruction not being feasible, guaranteed 

It depends on a vote being needed, they might have some obscure rule where they can change it in exceptional circumstances.

Im not sure if the other chairman would want us relegated tbh, if the games are played they might be in trouble( unlikely I know) and everyone will need the revenue our away support brings next season. It’s  hard to say.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, ramrod said:

I agree with you totally but never underestimate the bitterness and tribalism that is Scottish football . 

If they can still get their 3 games minimum against Celtic and Rangers that's all they will be conserned about . You've got to remember we're dealing with self centred idiots here not broad minded intellects 

Fair point.

8 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

The strategy of high basic and low bonus doesn't appear to have captured the imagination of those on the payroll 

Too cushy a number for them where they get the bulk of their money no matter what. 

AB did mention the number of players that had been injured in her radio interview.

12 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You're right but having lower basic wages probably means that a lot of players that we would like to sign would not entertain the idea of coming to us. We need to be able to compete for players signatures with other clubs. 

I suppose we need to find a happy balance between wages and bonuses that perhaps give players better incentives to perform. 

Let’s also not forget that we know have a manager with a clear idea of what he wants to do and how to play, that’ll help get more out the players. Sadly, not this group of players tho, these duds are too far gone. 

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You're right but having lower basic wages probably means that a lot of players that we would like to sign would not entertain the idea of coming to us. We need to be able to compete for players signatures with other clubs. 

I suppose we need to find a happy balance between wages and bonuses that perhaps give players better incentives to perform. 

I’m not sure that’s the case, we’re competing with Aberdeen for players and the only three I can think of is Bryson/Sammon/Main and it's a shame we didn’t miss out on all three. Niall McGinn would’ve been a good signing but that’s it really. I would be surprised if many teams have the same structure as we do. A happy medium absolutely needs to be found though. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not sure that’s the case, we’re competing with Aberdeen for players and the only three I can think of is Bryson/Sammon/Main and it's a shame we didn’t miss out on all three. Niall McGinn would’ve been a good signing but that’s it really. I would be surprised if many teams have the same structure as we do. A happy medium absolutely needs to be found though. 

Even a relatively high basic isn't that high at our level tbh. 

A high basic for us would be in the region of £3/4k.

Peanuts tbh. 

We're in between a rock and a hard place, especially now tbh. 

I wouldn't join a club that has won 4 league games on a low basic if other clubs were offering more. 

Neither would you. 

We aren't successful enough to offer that right now. 

Win more games, such a structure becomes more appealing. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I was aware of them being out of pocket big time but I’m sure the deal could be negotiated to something acceptable. It’s really looking like Sept/Oct before they could restart which means next season will run from Nov - May because of Euro 2020/1. Any money rescued by extending this season will be lost due a much shorter league campaign next season. Virtually everyone in the world is losing out financially because of this pandemic. Why should any football league be different? 

Definitely. I still think they would want to squeeze as many games in to next season whenever it starts. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Even a relatively high basic isn't that high at our level tbh. 

A high basic for us would be in the region of £3/4k.

Peanuts tbh. 

We're in between a rock and a hard place, especially now tbh. 

I wouldn't join a club that has won 4 league games on a low basic if other clubs were offering more. 

Neither would you. 

We aren't successful enough to offer that right now. 

Win more games, such a structure becomes more appealing. 

I think we will still be offering as much as Aberdeen even if we lower the wage and raise the bonus. If Stendel stays I think it will happen naturally as he’s looking for younger more hungry players than we currently have. Depending on who leaves I think we are still a great club to sign for and live in the best city in the UK.

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think we will still be offering as much as Aberdeen even if we lower the wage and raise the bonus. If Stendel stays I think it will happen naturally as he’s looking for younger more hungry players than we currently have. Depending on who leaves I think we are still a great club to sign for and live in the best city in the UK.

I hope AB pulls out all the stops to keep Daniel and his assistant here. 

DS admitted he had a relegation clause in his contract but didn't rule being here next season. In fact he said the relegation clause was two way. 

I'm hopeful if we want him to stay he will. I'm excited to see what he can do with a clean slate no matter what division we are in. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I hope AB pulls out all the stops to keep Daniel and his assistant here. 

DS admitted he had a relegation clause in his contract but didn't rule being here next season. In fact he said the relegation clause was two way. 

I'm hopeful if we want him to stay he will. I'm excited to see what he can do with a clean slate no matter what division we are in. 

Definitely, with more of his own type of players too. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, ramrod said:

The problem will be the chairman of the other Spfl clubs , they will want Hearts relegated  under the pretence of league reconstruction not being feasible, guaranteed 

Would anyone on here give a shit about reconstruction if Hamilton or St Mirren were bottom of the league?

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Would anyone on here give a shit about reconstruction if Hamilton or St Mirren were bottom of the league?

Yes. I’ve wanted it for a long time. As have many posters on here over multiple threads and multiple seasons.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Yes. I’ve wanted it for a long time. As have many posters on here over multiple threads and multiple seasons.

As opposed to most who just want it to avoid relegation.  I wanted rid of the current set up too, if only to get rid of the ridiculous and unfair split.  But I would have preferred going back to the old 10 team league which of course wouldn’t help us.  It was a farce expanding it from 10 to 12 in the first place but no chance it will go back as turkeys won’t vote for Christmas.

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I wonder if AB will continue down the route of paying future players relatively high basic pay or if she might revert back to the old Wallace Mercer style of much lower basic pay with decent bonuses?

I don't know what influence AB will have following the transfer to FoH but as a club we certainly have got our fingers burned with the high basic/low bonus formula.

Mercer had to abandon the rolling bonus system  before the club got financially embarrassed so I suspect the answer lies somewhere in between.

Injuries are a problem as we must not "punish" a player who is injured truly fighting for the cause and the last thing I want is someone not putting their foot in, in case they lose out on bonuses by being out injured.

Smith&Weston

Ann Budge has made a big mistake here with the wage structure at the club.  Paying a high basic wage with low bonus removes the incentive to go that bit extra to play or get a result and I think that has shown in the last 3 years.  That and the amount of injuries we have had is another poor decision by the club.

23 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

If we'd beaten St Mirren and they were planning to relegate them because they were bottom on goal difference of course I would have the sane point of view .It would still be utterly ridiculous. 

We need to bin this petty tribalism and see the big picture. You can't relegate ANY team  with 8 games to go in the league . It's preposterous to even contemplate it regardless of what has happened up to this point . 

17 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

As opposed to most who just want it to avoid relegation.  I wanted rid of the current set up too, if only to get rid of the ridiculous and unfair split.  But I would have preferred going back to the old 10 team league which of course wouldn’t help us.  It was a farce expanding it from 10 to 12 in the first place but no chance it will go back as turkeys won’t vote for Christmas.

Multiple threads on here over the years, all showed the majority of supporters want 16(+) and just a handful of older fans wanted ten. If I could be arsed I’d pull up the multiple polls and threads.

Nothing wrong with paying a higher wage. It should, in theory attract a better quality of player to the club than incentive based set ups. 

You could say goodbye to Boyce and Naismith for starters, never mind trying to hold onto player who impress during their spell here or our top youngsters. 

It's not Anne Budge's fault the last manager continued to spunk all our money on mostly sub standard players who wouldn't get the wage they are on now at any other point in their career. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

If we'd beaten St Mirren and they were planning to relegate them because they were bottom on goal difference of course I would have the sane point of view .It would still be utterly ridiculous. 

We need to bin this petty tribalism and see the big picture. You can't relegate ANY team  with 8 games to go in the league . It's preposterous to even contemplate it regardless of what has happened up to this point . 

It would be more preposterous not to promote Dundee Utd.  They can’t declare Celtic champions and not promote Dundee Utd, that would be utterly ridiculous. If we get saved by reconstruction it’s a bonus but I’m not counting on it.  

annushorribilis III

It would be more preposterous not to promote Dundee Utd.  They can’t declare Celtic champions and not promote Dundee Utd, that would be utterly ridiculous. If we get saved by reconstruction it’s a bonus but I’m not counting on it.  

In a nutshell. 

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Multiple threads on here over the years, all showed the majority of supporters want 16(+) and just a handful of older fans wanted ten. If I could be arsed I’d pull up the multiple polls and threads.

16 or more wouldn’t work as we don’t have enough quality / bigger teams to make it work and also results in a lot more meaningless games.  It didn’t work before (that’s why we scrapped it for a 10 which was one of the most competitive and successful periods in Scottish football history) and it won’t work again. 

Having said that, I’ve come to accept that Scottish football would be shite irrespective of how big a league we have.

Just because it would be ridiculous doesn't mean it won't happen . 

Every other league in Europe will abandon relegation this year , the only uncertainty is Scotland, you can take that to the bank .

Even some of our own supporters seem to think if we get relegated we would deserve it , with 8 games left ? 

That's how ****ed up things are in this pathetic wee footballing backwater . 

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

16 or more wouldn’t work as we don’t have enough quality / bigger teams to make it work and also results in a lot more meaningless games.  It didn’t work before (that’s why we scrapped it for a 10 which was one of the most competitive and successful periods in Scottish football history) and it won’t work again. 

Having said that, I’ve come to accept that Scottish football would be shite irrespective of how big a league we have.

No, I disagree with that. 16+ for me.

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Just because it would be ridiculous doesn't mean it won't happen . 

Every other league in Europe will abandon relegation this year , the only uncertainty is Scotland, you can take that to the bank .

Even some of our own supporters seem to think if we get relegated we would deserve it , with 8 games left ? 

That's how ****ed up things are in this pathetic wee footballing backwater . 

How can you possibly know that?

If we get relegated I’ll reserve my anger for those really responsible - the players and management team.  

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

No, I disagree with that. 16+ for me.

Disagree with what?  And how would 16 or 18 work in terms of fixture splits?  

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

How can you possibly know that?

If we get relegated I’ll reserve my anger for those really responsible - the players and management team.  

It's obviously a point of view assuming no league will be completed . 

Secondly you've made your point of view quite clear on whether it's fair and right for us to be relegated with 8 games still to go  regardless of how bad we've been to this point .Which incidentally  is utterly irrelevant when making the decision. 

3 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Then we boycott their stadiums when we get back, do you think next year Hamilton will fill the cash gap over us.....Naw and besides as this will go on, so its all about who will survive without going into admin and then who will be able to compete coming OUT of admin, and the rest well good night Vienna!!!!!!!

League recontruction will be based on Darwin and it will be forced upon us all

Cash injections will be required by all clubs, so having one of the biggest sellable box office showcase clubs in the lower league when there is no league sponsor, talk about turkeys with voting rights

I think you’re vastly over estimating what our support take in comparison to an extra match against the old firm. Hearts going down would also be good for the league below.  There’s no going to be any boycott either.  It’s not going to happen regardless but if you think anyone really cares if we are in the league or not when it comes to anything then it’s deluded. 

3 hours ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Aye it has.  They can be as shite as they like and get paid handsomely for it. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Aberdeen wanted Boyce but couldn’t live with what we offered him financially. 

31 minutes ago, Homme said:

Nothing wrong with paying a higher wage. It should, in theory attract a better quality of player to the club than incentive based set ups. 

You could say goodbye to Boyce and Naismith for starters, never mind trying to hold onto player who impress during their spell here or our top youngsters. 

It's not Anne Budge's fault the last manager continued to spunk all our money on mostly sub standard players who wouldn't get the wage they are on now at any other point in their career. 

I kinda see it as a meritocracy.

Guys like Naismith & Boyce deserve the higher basic. There's nothing to say we can't have a variable structure. 

If players feel aggrieved then good. Work harder and make yourself so indispensable you get that too. 

We tried to be decent and honourable about the contract situation and its absolutely blown up in the clubs face in the worst possible way. That should stop now. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Aye it has.  They can be as shite as they like and get paid handsomely for it. 

Agree . 

obviously the higher basic you pay the more players you attract , but not necessarily the right type of players 

It follows that if you're getting 500 quid appearance money or win bonus you're going to put a shift in. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Aberdeen wanted Boyce but couldn’t live with what we offered him financially. 

In the way that we put in a higher bid for him yes, who knows what the wages were on offer. I get the feeling McInnes likes the same players as Levein, they do have similar styles, but was more interested in Kennedy.

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Disagree with what?  And how would 16 or 18 work in terms of fixture splits?  

Disagree that ten would be better, and disagree that we don’t have enough quality teams in Scotland. Ten teams playing each other four times and potentially more with cups is and was total horseshit. Players playing against the same opposing players that many times stifles things badly as they know everything about their opposite number. This is off topic and it’s been done to death.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, Homme said:

Fair point. If you offer everyone a £1k bonus for a win then it’s naturally a bigger bonus for the lower paid players though.

Hungry hippo
50 minutes ago, Smith&Weston said:

Ann Budge has made a big mistake here with the wage structure at the club.  Paying a high basic wage with low bonus removes the incentive to go that bit extra to play or get a result and I think that has shown in the last 3 years.  That and the amount of injuries we have had is another poor decision by the club.

We also had this wage structure when we got the record points total in the Championship.

There are valid arguments for and against it and when we're bottom of the league it's far easier to argue against it. That doesn't mean it is the reason for poor results and I feel it is wrongly being treated as fact that this is a major factor in our poor performances over the last 18 months.

Fozzyonthefence
42 minutes ago, ramrod said:

It's obviously a point of view assuming no league will be completed . 

Secondly you've made your point of view quite clear on whether it's fair and right for us to be relegated with 8 games still to go  regardless of how bad we've been to this point .Which incidentally  is utterly irrelevant when making the decision. 

Your previous post was suggesting it was a certainty every other league in Europe would have no relegation, now you’re saying it’s only your opinion!

Personally I think, if the league can’t be finished, the fairest thing would be null and void but there appears to be no chance of that happening, and if so we’ll be relegated unless there is league reconstruction.  

Fozzyonthefence
35 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Disagree that ten would be better, and disagree that we don’t have enough quality teams in Scotland. Ten teams playing each other four times and potentially more with cups is and was total horseshit. Players playing against the same opposing players that many times stifles things badly as they know everything about their opposite number. This is off topic and it’s been done to death.

Well we certainly don’t have enough quality teams, on the basis even Celtic aren’t a quality team!  

18 teams is a complete non starter for a number of reasons - only 34 games so loss of revenue, only 2 OF games (probably the biggest reason it doesn’t have a chance), more meaningless mid table games, and more diddy teams like Arbroath in the league.

16 teams maybe but I’ve no idea of the logistics of how that would would work but presumably it would work better than what we have.

We’ve had league reconstruction several times that I can remember.  None of them improved anything except reducing it to 10 teams when we had a very competitive league and our teams were very successful in Europe (but yes, these days are gone now, sadly).

51 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

In the way that we put in a higher bid for him yes, who knows what the wages were on offer. I get the feeling McInnes likes the same players as Levein, they do have similar styles, but was more interested in Kennedy.

Im sure it was reported the wages they couldn’t match. Surely they could have afforded the £150k we bought he in for? You’re spot on about McInnes/Levein mind you. 

17 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Your previous post was suggesting it was a certainty every other league in Europe would have no relegation, now you’re saying it’s only your opinion!

Personally I think, if the league can’t be finished, the fairest thing would be null and void but there appears to be no chance of that happening, and if so we’ll be relegated unless there is league reconstruction.  

The big leagues will play out the season.  The compromise will be the smaller leagues can declare the season finished with no relegation or promotions.  Imo obviously and hopefully. 

Edited by Last Laff

Hagar the Horrible
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

TRFC has gone down the deferral route. (no mention of the proportion though).

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/the-rangers-football-club-limited-update/

That reads like its a 100% deferral with non playing staff furloughed. They have zero cash left. That is just spin and transparent 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Im sure it was reported the wages they couldn’t match. Surely they could have afforded the £150k we bought he in for? You’re spot on about McInnes/Levein mind you. 

Their bid was lower than us according to the article I read, didn’t read about the wages but Kennedy will be on less than Boyce no doubt. Their wage bill is already quite high too. I just get the feeling McInnes was ****ing with us.

Hagar the Horrible

At least Liverpool have done the right thing. Lets hope all our players also do the right thing 

Pasquale for King

Ff ffs I had to look at that and now I feel dirty. To save anyone else having this feeling here you go.

As with all businesses throughout the United Kingdom and beyond, Rangers is continuing to deal with the implications of the Coronavirus pandemic.

We have carefully considered measures which ensure that all employees are treated fairly and with respect whilst we safeguard our club finances in such uncertain times. No professional football club or business is immune to the challenges of this unprecedented situation and as a club, we will continue to review actions necessary to navigate our way responsibly in such a changeable environment.

Rangers can confirm that First Team players, Manager, coaches and Executive Directors have volunteered to take a salary deferral for the next three months. Senior players and staff were keen to ensure that no Rangers employee suffered financial hardship during this crisis.

All parties volunteered and wholeheartedly agreed to defer wages to ensure that fellow colleagues could continue to be paid their salaries in full. We are proud of the leadership and responsibility taken by senior members of staff, and acknowledge the positive impact that this will have on everyone at Rangers. We firmly believe in the ‘one club’ concept and are united in our collective goal of making Rangers the very best in every facet of football life. We are resolved that the integrity of the club is maintained as we continue our focus on ensuring the financial stability of the business.

Due to the extraordinary challenges from the ongoing crisis, Rangers intends to implement the Coronavirus job retention scheme for a number of employees.

Rangers will ensure that everyone furloughed under this government scheme will receive 100 per cent salary through ‘top up’ assistance from the club with all other conditions and benefits remaining unchanged.

We are proud of the continued efforts and support of everyone at Rangers during this difficult period.

Finally, we wish all our supporters and their families good health during this time. We are especially thankful for the tireless work of NHS staff and other key workers who are selflessly working to keep us all safe and well. Please continue to follow government guidelines at this time.

Rangers Captain, James Tavernier said on behalf of the playing squad: “I want to place on record our appreciation to every single member of staff for their determination and resolve during these unprecedented events. I’m very proud of the reaction of everyone at Rangers to the challenge we face throughout the UK and beyond.

“As a team, we were adamant that we work together to do all we can to secure the future of the football club. We are also acutely aware of the livelihoods and wellbeing of our staff.

“In reality, it was an easy decision for players and senior staff. Now is the time to work with unity of purpose, as the Rangers family, to ensure that everyone works together to maintain our institution. Today has made me proud to be Rangers captain.”

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don't know what influence AB will have following the transfer to FoH but as a club we certainly have got our fingers burned with the high basic/low bonus formula.

Mercer had to abandon the rolling bonus system  before the club got financially embarrassed so I suspect the answer lies somewhere in between.

Injuries are a problem as we must not "punish" a player who is injured truly fighting for the cause and the last thing I want is someone not putting their foot in, in case they lose out on bonuses by being out injured.

Yes it is probably best somewhere in the middle. I get what you are saying about not punishing  a player for being injured but that should work two ways. 

I wonder sometimes just how eager some of these players are to come back from injury when they are getting almost a full salary? But then that is probably just me and how my mind works. I am sure you will agree Al.😍

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Their bid was lower than us according to the article I read, didn’t read about the wages but Kennedy will be on less than Boyce no doubt. Their wage bill is already quite high too. I just get the feeling McInnes was ****ing with us.

Possibly aye, Boyce is worth the money regardless I think:Hope. 

They think they’ll be back, playing football again by July. Their players are in the same boat as some of ours by saying they won’t accept anything other than wage deferrals, they’ve been saying that since day dot of the shut down. PFA have been involved in this as well, just hasn’t made the press shock horror. 3 month, full deferral of wages for one player will be around 360k, say they have an average wage of 20k and 28 first team players, that’s 6.7million Of owed wages. McGregor, Kent, Goldson, Defoe, Morelos, Tav, Arfield, Jack, Gerrard all on over 20k a week. Crazy stuff. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Possibly aye, Boyce is worth the money regardless I think:Hope. 

I think so 👍🏽