Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Space Mackerel
On 09/09/2020 at 00:27, davemclaren said:

Link?

Some interview she gave via the internet a few days ago, she basically said she wasn’t against Indy Ref 2 now or words to that affect. 

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

As the First Minister ploughs ahead with her own desperate plans for a second Scottish independence referendum in the wake of Brexit, residents on the rugged archipelago think they too would be better off alone. So much so, members of Shetland Islands Council have approved a motion to begin “exploring options for achieving financial and political self-determination”.

:greggy: 

Wouldn’t that break up your beloved UK?  

12 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Wouldn't that also break up a dream of a beloved indy Scotland

I’m not proposing it. The Shetland's has a population of about 25,000. Will the UK countenance its independence? 

3 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

A few pages back I suggested  that individual regions of Scotland could have their own referendum.  

Its hard for separatists to argue against that sort of thing as all the reasons for it are the same ones they use for indy ref 2.

Still waiting for sensible answers to this. 

Regional votes to either 

a) be in an indy Scotland applying to join to eu with an as yet unknown currency

b) stay in the UK ouside the EU and retain sterling

One Scotland, but each region governed as they choose.

Surely no-one will deny each region the chance of self determination and not to be dragged out of a union agaisnt their will 

Just now, davemclaren said:

I’m not proposing it. The Shetland's has a population of about 25,000. Will the UK countenance its independence? 

at what population level does a region become e important enough to matter? Same question applies to UK and Indy Scotland

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Still waiting for sensible answers to this. 

Regional votes to either 

a) be in an indy Scotland applying to join to eu with an as yet unknown currency

b) stay in the UK ouside the EU and retain sterling

One Scotland, but each region governed as they choose.

Surely no-one will deny each region the chance of self determination and not to be dragged out of a union agaisnt their will 

What about Scotland staying the in the EU then? We’ve been dragged out that against our will surely? England and Wales leave and Scotland and NI stay? No because that not how it works. 
All the other stuff you’ve just made up for an arguments sake. It’s absolute nonsense. Edinburgh has never been a country. Or Dundee or anything else in Scotland. 

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What about Scotland staying the in the EU then? We’ve been dragged out that against our will surely? England and Wales leave and Scotland and NI stay? No because that not how it works. 
All the other stuff you’ve just made up for an arguments sake. It’s absolute nonsense. Edinburgh has never been a country. Or Dundee or anything else in Scotland. 

Scotland is currently part of the UK like it or not

In the particular viewpoint I've floated , I'm saying that the  parts of Scotland that wish to be in be EU can vote that way with an indy Scotland  and those that don't, can stay with a Scotland UK

No region is dragged anywhere they don't vote for

Why would you deny this democracy? 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Scotland is currently part of the UK like it or not

In the particular viewpoint I've floated , I'm saying that the  parts of Scotland that wish to be in be EU can vote that way with an indy Scotland  and those that don't, can stay with a Scotland UK

No region is dragged anywhere they don't vote for

Why would you deny this democracy? 

It’s absolute nonsense and well you know it. 
Cmon man. 

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s absolute nonsense and well you know it. 
Cmon man. 

That's the same point that unionists make about a fully independent Scotland.

Just about every argument for/against a regional outcome is the same for/against a fully independent Scotland.

Space Mackerel
Just now, Fun Boaby said:

Do they own any oil?

What about their contribution to renewable energy?

Cannae wait for Clackmannanshire to to be the only ‘region’ in Scotland to stay in rUK. 😁😁😁

2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Cannae wait for Clackmannanshire to to be the only ‘region’ in Scotland to stay in rUK. 😁😁😁

Would you accept that as the price to pay for an independent Scotland?

jack D and coke
27 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

That's the same point that unionists make about a fully independent Scotland.

Just about every argument for/against a regional outcome is the same for/against a fully independent Scotland.

This is getting stupid. Scotland is a country. It was one before England. Edinburgh or Glasgow or Dundee or wherever hasn’t ever been. 
Jesus man. How silly do you want to get here? Musselburgh governed from London and the pans from Edinburgh? Are you actually taking the piss? 

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

Would you accept that as the price to pay for an independent Scotland?

Have you seen the size of Clackmannanshire Regional Local Authority, it’s absolutely minuscule. 

What about Community Councils within local authorities, do they get to stay if they vote too? 

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

This is getting stupid. Scotland is a country. It was one before England. Edinburgh or Glasgow or Dundee or wherever hasn’t ever been. 
Jesus man. How silly do you want to get here? Musselburgh governed from London and the pans from Edinburgh? Are you actually taking the piss? 

Why not? If Scotland can separate after 300 years why can't anywhere else. The only limitation is your imagination.             

At least with what I'm saying there would be some sort of independent Scotland

Why would you object to that?

Edited by Fun Boaby

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You’re discussing something with somebody who hasn’t the slightest clue how local authority politics are funded or works. 

3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Have you seen the size of Clackmannanshire Regional Local Authority, it’s absolutely minuscule. 

What about Community Councils within local authorities, do they get to stay if they vote too? 

At what size does it become viable?

2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

You’re discussing something with somebody who hasn’t the slightest clue how local authority politics are funded or works. 

It could be made to work

Space Mackerel

Why not? If Scotland can separate after 309 years why can't anywhere else. The only limitation is your imagination.              At least with what I'm saying there would be some sort of independent Scotland

Why would you object to that?

Westminster is gonna cut the grass in the park but an independent Scotland is going to empty your bins? 

Just now, Space Mackerel said:

Westminster is gonna cut the grass in the park but an independent Scotland is going to empty your bins? 

This separation stuff is confusing isn't it?

Let's keep the status quo

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

This separation stuff is confusing isn't it?

Let's keep the status quo

Not really, unless you want to hang about with this guys mantra 

15 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

They're too wee, the wee'est in fact although they've got the biggest name. 😉

Disclaimer: I refuse to count Rutland, Isle of Wight or any city of ....

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, graygo said:

That’s why I used it, Boaby doesn’t even know where it is. 😁

Probably thinks it’s near Inverness. 

1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Not really, unless you want to hang about with this guys mantra 

What's the objection to a Scotland UK and Scotland indy?

Why not? It almost gurantees some sort of Indy Scotland

Space Mackerel

What's the objection to a Scotland UK and Scotland indy?

Why not? It almost gurantees some sort of Indy Scotland

Do you know Scotland was formed before England? Why did they have to be separatists back then? 😕

888A05CC-A8E7-4680-8C6F-FFC027AA3E09.jpeg

A414C143-CCFE-4597-ABF8-A9F6E9DDA137.jpeg

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

What's the size criteria for self governance? 

4 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Do you know Scotland was formed before England? Why did they have to be separatists back then? 😕

888A05CC-A8E7-4680-8C6F-FFC027AA3E09.jpeg

A414C143-CCFE-4597-ABF8-A9F6E9DDA137.jpeg

Was that after the Romans called the shots? 

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Was that after the Romans called the shots? 

Boaby, didn’t you read Asterix and Obelix as a bairn?

14327CDA-0D96-457E-8615-531DE370376B.jpeg

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

Funny how folks arguments fall apart when they're asked to explain them.

Still waiting 

No one will try explain utter garbage mate that’s why. I’ll have a chat with you about possible outcomes it but not if your going to be stupid then when told it’s stupid just keep coming back with a stupid argument like no one wants to discuss it like you’ve won.....it’s because it’s so stupid. 
There is no precedent for this anywhere. It’s absolutely ludicrous. 
Stop being stupid. 
No offence. 

28 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

No one will try explain utter garbage mate that’s why. I’ll have a chat with you about possible outcomes it but not if your going to be stupid then when told it’s stupid just keep coming back with a stupid argument like no one wants to discuss it like you’ve won.....it’s because it’s so stupid. 
There is no precedent for this anywhere. It’s absolutely ludicrous. 
Stop being stupid. 
No offence. 

No precedent?  When did the Republic of Ireland first exist?

So it's ok to break up the UK, but not ok to break up Scotland ?

Would you not let Shetland decide its own fate? 

18 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Scotland is a country that has a treaty of Union with England (rUK), these other regions do not. They would need to find another route to 'Independence' from either independent Scotland or the UK.

Independence is not just about winning a referendum though, you need to bring the people with you, as many as you can anyway, or it will not work.

Which is why a simple majority system is dangerous.  If the 45% became 51% ,the 49% would not be happy to go along on the journey.

jack D and coke
27 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

No precedent?  When did the Republic of Ireland first exist?

So it's ok to break up the UK, but not ok to break up Scotland ?

Would you not let Shetland decide its own fate? 

Right so you lot basically give it that scotland wouldn’t get in the eu, spain etc would veto but now you’re advocating independence for West Lothian and stuff now? Aye? 
Sorry there’s literally no knowing where you’ll move the goalposts to next. Ffs

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Right so you lot basically give it that scotland wouldn’t get in the eu, spain etc would veto but now you’re advocating independence for West Lothian and stuff now? Aye? 
Sorry there’s literally no knowing where you’ll move the goalposts to next. Ffs

Never mind West Lothian, what about Shetland.  What's your view on their situation?  Would you stand in the way of Shetland being self-governed or wanting to join up with the Faroes, away from Scotland?

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Never mind West Lothian, what about Shetland.  What's your view on their situation?  Would you stand in the way of Shetland being self-governed or wanting to join up with the Faroes, away from Scotland?

If there’s some crazy law you lot can find to take Shetland out the UK and Scotland then no I don’t have a problem with it. Why don’t the fears of doom not apply to them btw? Won’t Russia just invade them? What currency? What army/navy? Who will trade with them? Hard border and tariffs coming into Scotland?

Do you think they go away with all the waters around them? You might want to look into that too. 

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

If there’s some crazy law you lot can find to take Shetland out the UK and Scotland then no I don’t have a problem with it. Why don’t the fears of doom not apply to them btw? Won’t Russia just invade them? What currency? What army/navy? Who will trade with them? Hard border and tariffs coming into Scotland?

Do you think they go away with all the waters around them? You might want to look into that too. 

You lot???  I'm not a separatist

All of the questions awkward questions you raise about regional independence are relevant to Scottish independence too.   Answer those first in relation to an independent Scotland.  

Edited by Fun Boaby

jack D and coke
47 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

You lot???  I'm not a separatist

All of the questions awkward questions you raise about regional independence are relevant to Scottish independence too.   Answer those first in relation to an independent Scotland.  

Separatist is childish patter so aye. You lot. 

2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Scotland is a country that has a treaty of Union with England (rUK), these other regions do not. They would need to find another route to 'Independence' from either independent Scotland or the UK.

Independence is not just about winning a referendum though, you need to bring the people with you, as many as you can anyway, or it will not work.

Shetlands preference is to become a British overseas protectorate- like the Isle of Man, or Jersey.

If Shetland wish it, then I cannot see why not .

It is what Catalonia want to do after all.

Dunno about anyone else but I'm all for as much power as possible at the local level. If Shetland wants to go on its own, more power to them I say. Same applies to Clackmannanshire and the rest. 

26 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It will be interesting to see what Shetlanders do actually wish, they also voted massively to stay in the EU

One thing I do know , Scotland would thrive if we could force greater Glasgow to be independent