The rise and fall of The SNP.

1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Boaby, why do you not want to have full fiscal and domestic law controls closer to home?

Why do you want them in London where your MP’s are out voted all the time? 

if there was a solid argument for independence where there was a genuine case for being better off then great, but there's not. Its nothing more than an ideology. A romantic one granted, but with no substance. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

if there was a solid argument for independence where there was a genuine case for being better off then great, but there's not. Its nothing more than an ideology. A romantic one granted, but with no substance. 

Hows your maths on tax take and block grants

Hows your maths on tax take and block grants

I can count just fine

Its impossible  to distil the debate to one single point. Its way more complex than that.

Space Mackerel

I can’t see one of the worlds most respected global economists coming out with this based on fantasy and no substance?

Could you explain your figures? 

EE5C9DCE-F86C-4D10-925B-1B132E70505F.jpeg

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

He won't get a vote in indy ref 2, 3 4, 5,6 etc

I don’t think he voted in 2014, he lives in the US and is a Professor at a major University.

So what do you know that Mark Blyth doesn’t? 

I don’t think he voted in 2014, he lives in the US and is a Professor at a major University.

So what do you know that Mark Blyth doesn’t? 

He's one person with an opinion, just like you and  me. Doesn't  make him right or wrong. He's just someone with a view

Im sure there was someone similar who said, yeah indepenedence could happen, but what price do you want to pay? Mightve

been the same guy

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

He's one person with an opinion, just like you and  me. Doesn't  make him right or wrong. He's just someone with a view

Im sure there was someone similar who said, yeah indepenedence could happen, but what price do you want to pay? Mightve

been the same guy

Boaby, what’s the total tax take for Scotland right now? 

Scottish independence: Possible economic turmoil

Brexit: Certain economic turmoil

If we're going to have economic turmoil in Scotland, why not under our own terms with a Scottish Government having full control over everything?

Edited by Cade

Just now, Cade said:

Scottish independence: Possible economic turmoil

Brexit: Certain economic turmoil

If we're going to have economic turmoil in Scotland, why not under out own terms with a Scottish Government having full control over everything?

Unicorn for sale. Please pay in scottish euros

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

I've literally no idea.

So you’ve no idea what Scotland generates in revenue every year, that’s correct? 
And that is under this current tax policy? Not an independent one.

Just now, Space Mackerel said:

So you’ve no idea what Scotland generates in revenue every year, that’s correct? 
And that is under this current tax policy? Not an independent one.

Thats correct. Im not an economist, just a hard working - working class - HMFC fan.

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Unicorn for sale. Please pay in scottish euros

The world has 180 currencies in it, why do you need to belittle a Scottish one.

Is Adam Smith a distant memory now? 

The world has 180 currencies in it, why do you need to belittle a Scottish one.

Is Adam Smith a distant memory now? 

what currency  would an independent Scotland have?

Space Mackerel
Just now, Fun Boaby said:

Thats correct. Im not an economist, just a hard working - working class - HMFC fan.

Imagine someone told you you were going to double your annual wage,  and you could spend it on anything you wanted? 

Space Mackerel
Just now, Fun Boaby said:

what currency  would an independent Scotland have?

Are you seriously suggesting a major hub of the Western capitalist banking system couldn’t set up a new currency? 

1B9AC3C8-9124-4757-B6B3-C1130987DDC7.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Are you seriously suggesting a major hub of the Western capitalist banking system couldn’t set up a new currency? 

1B9AC3C8-9124-4757-B6B3-C1130987DDC7.jpeg

I m not suggesting  anything, just asking a question.

Surely you can acknowledge that the currency question is a major obstacle  to an independent  Scotland.

Edited by Fun Boaby

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

I m not suggesting  anything, just asking a question.

Surely you can acknowledge that the currency question is a major obstacle  to an independent  Scotland.

Not really, SNP policy is to create a new Scottish pound.

If you want to get worried about money the look at what the Fed and the BoE are printing day in day out. 

Not really, SNP policy is to create a new Scottish pound.

If you want to get worried about money the look at what the Fed and the BoE are printing day in day out. 

Do you genuinely think that the undecided scottish voters will be convinced with that.?

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Do you genuinely think that the undecided scottish voters will be convinced with that.?

You do know how FIAT currency works? 

4 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Every time they print is every time your £ is worth less than it was. 

Its past my bedtime. Good night and god bless. Clearly we  disagree, but I respect your enthusiastic views, even though I don't agree with them

Gorgie rules.

Space Mackerel
Just now, Zlatanable said:

Utter insanity.

You would have us all outside the UK, with a temporary fake GBP,  aiming at the EU, whilst *growing* more than 15 BILLION pounds per year (best case scenario) in trade, whilst creating a hard border with the UK.

It is complete nonsense in reality. 

If it happens, all of us will be completely f*cked. 

Could you explain the £2 Trillion deficit please? 

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I will. 

After you explain what happened to the new Sick Kids Hospital in Edinburgh, 

Imagine being so stupid you have no idea about future capital investment in a devolved economy and total government debt.

4 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

Nope. Was about 15 years ago when they wanted to replace the council tax with an income based system. Thankfully they ditched it.

What about when the Tories sold off the council house stock and rebuilt none, leaving folk to pay big bucks to scum landlords, mind that. 

Oh, but it allowed people the right to own a house! Utter pish! 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What about when the Tories sold off the council house stock and rebuilt none, leaving folk to pay big bucks to scum landlords, mind that. 

Oh, but it allowed people the right to own a house! Utter pish! 

The Right to Buy policy allowed ordinary people - who otherwise couldn't afford it - to become home owners at massively discounted prices.  It was a huge boost for many working class people and no-one was forced to pay anything to any type of landlord.  Quite the opposite. 

In hindsight it was far too generous.  

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Oh, but it allowed people the right to own a house! 

Or two or three...

:sweeet:

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

Definitely not the kiddie on parliament doesnt really matter and should the crunch  ever come again the 2014  55% silent majority will rise again to break the Krankies once and for all - the auld nawbags havent died off yet thankfully 

12 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Imagine being so stupid you can't answer a valid question. 

Spacey will never, ever, ever answer a question that shows the SNP in a bad light.

Ever.

Space Mackerel
11 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

The Right to Buy policy allowed ordinary people - who otherwise couldn't afford it - to become home owners at massively discounted prices.  It was a huge boost for many working class people and no-one was forced to pay anything to any type of landlord.  Quite the opposite. 

In hindsight it was far too generous.  

I meant to post this last night pal. See what you think. 

https://theferret.scot/gers-union-dividend-2000-scottish-independence/

Edited by Space Mackerel

Space Mackerel
5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Spacey will never, ever, ever answer a question that shows the SNP in a bad light.

Ever.

We are talking about independence, not the SNP 😊

On 07/09/2020 at 02:22, Zlatanable said:

Utter insanity.

You would have us all outside the UK, with a temporary fake GBP,  aiming at the EU, whilst *growing* more than 15 BILLION pounds per year (best case scenario) in trade, whilst creating a hard border with the UK.

It is complete nonsense in reality. 

If it happens, all of us will be completely f*cked. 

Dont be a Cant.....

Be a Can!

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Dont be a Cant.....

Be a Can!

For the first time I’m in no doubt that indy is coming down the tracks now. I actually think the tories want it too and that will be the clincher. 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

For the first time I’m in no doubt that indy is coming down the tracks now. I actually think the tories want it too and that will be the clincher. 

Independence for England? I'm in!

Space Mackerel
15 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

I'd take all figures like that with a pinch of salt anyway.  Unless they're on the side of a bus, then I'm convinced 🙂

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18704607.top-economist-explains-scotland-can-recover-via-leading-natural-capital/

Along with Mark Blyth, that another economist coming out with a pro Indy viewpoint.

Space Mackerel
12 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Kezia Dugdale giving hints the other day she’s moving over. 

Weakened Offender
21 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

I wouldn't mind liking Kezia as she's a right wee ride of a lassie. 

22 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

I thought that was common knowledge!

manaliveits105

As the First Minister ploughs ahead with her own desperate plans for a second Scottish independence referendum in the wake of Brexit, residents on the rugged archipelago think they too would be better off alone. So much so, members of Shetland Islands Council have approved a motion to begin “exploring options for achieving financial and political self-determination”.

:greggy: 

26 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

As the First Minister ploughs ahead with her own desperate plans for a second Scottish independence referendum in the wake of Brexit, residents on the rugged archipelago think they too would be better off alone. So much so, members of Shetland Islands Council have approved a motion to begin “exploring options for achieving financial and political self-determination”.

:greggy: 

A few pages back I suggested  that individual regions of Scotland could have their own referendum.  

Its hard for separatists to argue against that sort of thing as all the reasons for it are the same ones they use for indy ref 2.