Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well I've got news for Mr. Leitch, there will be a family christmas in the JJ household, no matter what Mr. Leitch says.

Not good.

😉

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

I was in that position once, we employed more staff to share the workload and everyone carried on as before.

Hopefully this pandemic us a wake up call to WM and holyrood governments. Fund the NHS properly and make sure there's enough staff and hospital capacity to cope. Yesrs and years of penny pinching and under funding has resulted in a massive recession and mass job losses/businesses going down the tubes. How much would it have cost to fund more hospitals against how much this is costing??

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Same disclaimer here!

To use an inappropriate term, the virus picked off the 'low hanging fruit' in the spring/early summer. And it had an abundance of such people to choose from due to low respiratory-related deaths for the past two years. (As shown by thon Irish fella whose name I forget).

I guess it comes down to what you're using the marker to, er, mark. High infection rates will attract headlines and justify the continued over-reach. Decreasing death numbers ain't so sexy for the meeja.

someone will be along soon enough to post a link of the tragic death of an under 30s fitness freak which will categorically dispel your (self-admitted) unqualified theory

now that we’ve gone round the houses and the key metric is now/again hospital admissions anyone got stats for the split between covid and non-covid infectious/respiratory admissions? - if turns out pneumonia etc are up there maybe the more honest message would be the restrictions are to save the nhs from x y z and also covid - bring a bit of transparency and also respect for the poor people struggling with other life-threatening illness of the type

anyone know how they fair against heavy flu years?

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I appreciate your points. However, there are other things which cannot and should not be put on waiting lists which are. Less people survive as a result of the decisions made to prioritise Covid. That should be regarded as a crime. Covid is serious, sure, but so are many other things. #non-covid-lives-matter-too

I probably could have done it, provided folk drew shitty rainbows on their windows and forced pensioners to dander about their gardens. ;)

Seriously though, what is the goal here? Are we trying to prevent death itself, or just Covid deaths? We're storing up an awful lot of trouble for later on down the line with the current approach. It's akin to Cameron holding the EU referendum and then disappearing when the vote didn't go as expected. He's been well-insulated from the fall-out, and hasn't had to make any hard decisions as a result. Johnson and Sturgeon will be nowhere to be seen when the true effects of the response to Covid are played out over the next decade and beyond.

I think they already know that all other illnesses need to be dealt with as well.  That's what they're doing.  That will remain the case and the biggest threat to the NHS carrying on with non-covid demand is... drum roll... wait for it... too much covid demand at once.

Yes?  No?

7 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Hopefully this pandemic us a wake up call to WM and holyrood governments. Fund the NHS properly and make sure there's enough staff and hospital capacity to cope. Yesrs and years of penny pinching and under funding has resulted in a massive recession and mass job losses/businesses going down the tubes. How much would it have cost to fund more hospitals against how much this is costing??

Indeed.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

He is well aware of the shortage of numbers as is his party, in fact they are responsible for it.

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/2019/12/nhs-staff-shortages-increase/

Indeedy.  A problem that can't be rectified in time to deal with this problem.  It matters not why resource is inadequate... it only matters that resource is inadequate.  For the time being.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Indeedy.  A problem that can't be rectified in time to deal with this problem.  It matters not why resource is inadequate... it only matters that resource is inadequate.  For the time being.

Just in case you missed my edit, I added that that also applies to the Scottish Health Secretary and the SG.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Same disclaimer here!

To use an inappropriate term, the virus picked off the 'low hanging fruit' in the spring/early summer. And it had an abundance of such people to choose from due to low respiratory-related deaths for the past two years. (As shown by thon Irish fella whose name I forget).

I guess it comes down to what you're using the marker to, er, mark. High infection rates will attract headlines and justify the continued over-reach. Decreasing death numbers ain't so sexy for the meeja.

Isn't that what mother nature does, she typically goes for the weakest & easiest targets first.

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No one has a good reason to be going to Wales. Not even the Welsh. They're probably doing them a favour.

:rofl:

19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think they already know that all other illnesses need to be dealt with as well.  That's what they're doing.  That will remain the case and the biggest threat to the NHS carrying on with non-covid demand is... drum roll... wait for it... too much covid demand at once.

Yes?  No?

Or shutting down NHS services and deferring appointments and non-urgent operations to clear wards and hospital wings for anticipated Covid cases.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I think that's what he meant. If we can contain this now, he have a big feck off party from the 24th of December to the 2 nd of January.   ....... followed by the mother of all lockdowns when infection numbers  go off the scale.  😲

:cheers:

Hopefully covid keeps Guy fawkes in the hoose.   .... Agreed, and the pesky  halloween guisers too !!  👍

33 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Absolutely, there are wards in hospitals up and down the length & breadth of the UK which are shut, not because there isn't any patients to occupy them, but because there isn't the staff to man them, hell they often have a hard enough job to have enough staff to man the wards as it is.

12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes. It is very sobering (and heartbreaking if you dwell on it too long) to wander around old cemeteries and read the headstones. It brings into perspective  how incredibly lucky we are to be alive  in this modern era (no conscription, good housing, amazing medical science etc) - compared to the hardships these deceased folk from the 1800's or early 1900s must have endured.   Some plots have 3 or 4 generations of a family in it ..... most with short lifespans by today's standards. 

Yes very true . some stones had several generations on the one stone 

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

People will use whatever measurement aligns with their argument. 

correct. Folk with polarised views that won’t ever change their opinion as they continually only look at ‘facts’ that back their beliefs.  Same people that back a political party as if it’s a football club.

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Another one for the 'games gone' lot

C0C959BC-8258-457F-B815-069748EC2B1E.thu

So many countries are being hit with this 'second wave' in Europe now. Belgium seems really bad, signs that their health care system is in serious trouble now, and France has now recorded a million cases overall. Even countries that did OK first time round are being hit harder. 

Presumably the supermarkets will be applying for hefty covid grants to compensate for enforced restriction of trade   ?   Surely Sturgeon won't  copy this nonsense ..... 🙄 

47 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I agree but I would also say hopefully it’s a wake up for the general public on how they treat their body’s as well.  Folk can’t just continually treat their bodies like trash and expect the NHS to save them from themselves.

A high proportion of younger people needing hospital treatment are obese or don’t look after themselves. 

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Or shutting down NHS services and deferring appointments and non-urgent operations to clear wards and hospital wings for anticipated Covid cases.

There needs to be some planning to increase contingency capacity.  But it remains the case that the NHS will continue to deal with more serious illness,  some of an urgent nature.  Non urgent or elective workload is what it is.  Not as priority as covid,  or flu,  or heart disease,  cancer,  stroke,  etc.

There's simply no getting away from the fact that the single greatest threat to the NHS's ability to deal with non-covid,  urgent demand + covid demand is the overall demand increasing by a magnitude.  The single greatest source of that additional demand is covid.  I once more refer to the fact that the overwhelming majority of the population do not currently have coronavirus.  

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

People will use whatever measurement aligns with their argument. 

Spot on. 

24 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Aussie rules football on BT sport. I still don't understand the sport but seeing the crowd... 

:sob:

Three years ago I was in Melbourne and went to a Aussie rules game at cricket ground. Didn't fully understand it but it was great fun and day out.

How distant times like that feel when now I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to go my trip in a few weeks to the Borders, never mind the other side of the world 😂

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I agree but I would also say hopefully it’s a wake up for the general public on how they treat their body’s as well.  Folk can’t just continually treat their bodies like trash and expect the NHS to save them from themselves.

A high proportion of younger people needing hospital treatment are obese or don’t look after themselves. 

That's interesting. Data or evidence for this please? 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ll also be paying absolutely zero attention to what that twat or NS says. Christmas will be normal. 

Not good mate. 

4 minutes ago, Shanks said:

You'd like to think so.....but it's unlikely to happen.    I took Mrs Striker to get her flu jab during the week, and sat in the car park watching folk going in  -  a couple of the men were outrageously overweight ,  struggling to get out their car and waddling slowly in.   I guess some folk just don't seem to care about health consequences of their lifestyles .....  

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's interesting. Data or evidence for this please? 

Just type in ‘young obese covid’ into google, plenty data and evidence pointing to the fact that obesity is a major factor in young people needing hospital treatment.  Here’s one link below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-obesity-greatest-factor-young-adults.amp  

So the dentist guy is hinting the whole of the central belt will stay as it is when they start this tier crap 

What happened to the short and sharp circuit breaker?

21 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Yes I take your point on health and responsibility to ourselves. The biggest issue in my eyes is that, quite often, its people who are on the lowest incomes that suffer from obesity and health issues caused by a poorer diet. Some of this is lack of education on it from a young age but I would say the biggest issue is the cost of buying fresh compared to processed foods and peoples budgets being really contstrained. While its £2 for 4 apples but £1 for a large bar of chocolate this issue isn't going to go away anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Yes I take your point on health and responsibility to ourselves. The biggest issue in my eyes is that, quite often, its people who are on the lowest incomes that suffer from obesity and health issues caused by a poorer diet. Some of this is lack of education on it from a young age but I would say the biggest issue is the cost of buying fresh compared to processed foods and peoples budgets being really contstrained. While its £2 for 4 apples but £1 for a large bar of chocolate this issue isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Yea I agree they could do a lot more to make it easier for people to eat healthy,  although diet is only half of it really.  It doesn’t cost anything to go for a jog for example :lol:

Was working on site for a large pharmaceutical company last week and was issued with a distance alarm on entry to the site.

Get within 2 metres of another device and it started making hell of a racket.

Great idea.

17 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I think most of what you took the time to source there will be wasted on who you chose to quote. 

:wow:

If the Scottish Government think people believe the crap they are spouting or are listening to anything they say they are deluded.

Everyone I know will be having a family Christmas regardless of what the clowns at New St Andrews House broadcast.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Everyone I know will be having a family Christmas regardless of what the clowns at New St Andrews House broadcast.

This is the genral vibe I'm picking up.

Ours maybe won't be the regular sixteen person affair, but there'll be half a dozen at the very least. I've spent the last couple of festive seasons at sea so I'm really looking forward to this one. Baby's first Christmas too. Love it.

17 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Yea I agree they could do a lot more to make it easier for people to eat healthy,  although diet is only half of it really.  It doesn’t cost anything to go for a jog for example :lol:

Yet, it doesn't actually cost much to make your own simple meals & snacks at home - see some of the recipe stuff on "Eat Well for Less".   They teach folk who are overweight but spending ridiculous amounts of money for the "pleasure" - and use tins & packets of stuff, as well as some fresh ingredients.   Similar thing with that Corner Shop cook-off thing on the BBC Scotland channel with Gary McLean.   

Seems to me there are 3 other factors at play here which put folk off doing that  - one is addiction to salty food (most takeaways have loads of it), one is lack of awareness of how simple some things are to make  .... and the other is simple laziness. 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Yet, it doesn't actually cost much to make your own simple meals & snacks at home - see some of the recipe stuff on "Eat Well for Less".   They teach folk who are overweight but spending ridiculous amounts of money for the "pleasure" - and use tins & packets of stuff, as well as some fresh ingredients.   Similar thing with that Corner Shop cook-off thing on the BBC Scotland channel with Gary McLean.   

Seems to me there are 3 other factors at play here which put folk off doing that  - one is addiction to salty food (most takeaways have loads of it), one is lack of awareness of how simple some things are to make  .... and the other is simple laziness. 

Access to decent shops is an issue too. Most people shop on Tesco or Asda, where the quality of food and choice is horrific. 

23 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If the Scottish Government think people believe the crap they are spouting or are listening to anything they say they are deluded.

Indeed, here in the JJ household we will be having our first family christmas for around about 5 years and nothing Sturgeon, Leitch or anybody else says is going to change that. 

Might even partake in a glass of port (better than sherry imo)...............or five.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, here in the JJ household we will be having our first family christmas for around about 5 years and nothing Sturgeon, Leitch or anybody else says is going to change that. 

Might even partake in a glass of port (better than sherry imo)...............or five.

Best stock up on booze now before they ban that from supermarkets too.  Prohibition seems to be one of the goals of the SG.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

There needs to be some planning to increase contingency capacity.  But it remains the case that the NHS will continue to deal with more serious illness,  some of an urgent nature.  Non urgent or elective workload is what it is.  Not as priority as covid,  or flu,  or heart disease,  cancer,  stroke,  etc.

There's simply no getting away from the fact that the single greatest threat to the NHS's ability to deal with non-covid,  urgent demand + covid demand is the overall demand increasing by a magnitude.  The single greatest source of that additional demand is covid.  I once more refer to the fact that the overwhelming majority of the population do not currently have coronavirus.  

And the overwhelming majority of the population will never have Covid, or possibly even know someone who has had it.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

And the overwhelming majority of the population will never have Covid, or possibly even know someone who has had it.

That's the plan and the point.  Prevent spread,  prevent covid,  prevent hospitalisations,  prevent routine NHS work being compromised.

Glad the doubters now see the point of suppression.  

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Best stock up on booze now before they ban that from supermarkets too.  Prohibition seems to be one of the goals of the SG.

Had thought about that tbh, after all they can't have people enjoying themselves, no no no that won't do one little bit.

40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yes, I agree. The nonsense spouted by the SG and their "experts" is breathtaking.  They obsess about removing all risks instead of looking at probabilties and common sense.  Everyone I know will be doing the same.

6 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Access to decent shops is an issue too. Most people shop on Tesco or Asda, where the quality of food and choice is horrific. 

Good point ....... which then carries through to what ends up in food banks.  Most of it will be the cheap and nasty stuff.   Contrast that with a few good-hearted chefs and cooks featured on the TV news during lockdown who were cooking quality food  to deliver free to old  & vulnerable folk.

I'd like to see professional cookery schools offer free courses to folk on benefits or low incomes (maybe vouchers dished out by GPs or DWP ?)  ..... and a compulsory return to good old home economics classes at school.  It's a massive problem, but some small  improvements could have huge benefits throughout society.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Just type in ‘young obese covid’ into google, plenty data and evidence pointing to the fact that obesity is a major factor in young people needing hospital treatment.  Here’s one link below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-obesity-greatest-factor-young-adults.amp  

Interestingly being black or Hispanic in the US has a higher risk factor than being morbidly obese (though I can't see if they controlled for obesity when doing that comparison ie were non obese black people more at risk than obese white folk or if as it looks it was a basic proportion comparison and maybe those in this Hispanic and black group were also disproportionately more obsese or higher blood pressure). 

Interesting that they've estimated being morbidly obese, high blood pressure and diabetes in the 18-34 have the same risk as those in the 35 - 65 with no risk factors.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

We'll need a lockdown after the party. :D

Edited by ri Alban

It's really easy to eat cheaply and healthily. People just don't want to do it.

There's endless help online that you can use if you can be bothered opening YouTube. 

It's no surprise that poor diet and lack of exercise often go hand in hand. Both require a little bit of effort. 

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Aussie rules football on BT sport. I still don't understand the sport but seeing the crowd... 

:sob:

Your right, I do rule. 👍

:)

Edited by ri Alban

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Interestingly being black or Hispanic in the US has a higher risk factor than being morbidly obese (though I can't see if they controlled for obesity when doing that comparison ie were non obese black people more at risk than obese white folk or if as it looks it was a basic proportion comparison and maybe those in this Hispanic and black group were also disproportionately more obsese or higher blood pressure). 

Interesting that they've estimated being morbidly obese, high blood pressure and diabetes in the 18-34 have the same risk as those in the 35 - 65 with no risk factors.

is being obese not a risk factor ? I thought it was too tbh - is this a new study ?

Scottish numbers: 24 October 2020

Summary

• 1,433 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 19.1% of newly tested individuals [+32]
  • 11 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-7]
  • 84 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+8]
  • 985 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+10]
  • 18,293 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 8.7% of these were positive

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic