Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Tier2 in England is still nothing near the shitstorm in Scotland's lowest 'level'

You can get a pint outside in the freezing cold if you're lucky up hereย :rofl:

Thank your lucky stars that you're in Bath.

Even if you go into the strictest tier3. you'll still be able to go for a bar lunch

Iโ€™m feeling the strain with the pubs shut.

Not the same having a beer in the house.

๐Ÿบ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ‘

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Iโ€™m feeling the strain with the pubs shut.

Not the same having a beer in the house.

๐Ÿบ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ‘

A lot of people are.

Some old guys who don't have any family, their only social contact is their couple of pints in the pub.

Absolutely shocking that she has shut covid secure places against what the science tells her.

ย 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A lot of people are.

Some old guys who don't have any family, their only social contact is their couple of pints in the pub.

Absolutely shocking that she has shut covid secure places against what the science tells her.

ย 

It is pissing me off.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

ย 

Now let me be absolutely clear about this. If the Weegies and Lanarkshire don't get their shit together soonย then this will be comingย to a supermarket near youย too.

ย ..... talking of which, some unlucky ย environmental workers who've drawn the short straw will be testing the inflows to sewage plants to see if some bugger with the virus has just "got his shit together" and flushed it.ย  ย 

ย 

You can just imagine it -ย  "Hullo - is that Test & Protect ?ย  ย It's Wullie here, at theย  Airdrie sewage works.ย  We've just detected the virus passing through at 14.05 hours.ย  ย Can you find ย awra peepul who'veย flushed their bog in the last 20 minutes, and test them all ? Thanks"

ย 

ย 

27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes in the early days of the big Lockdown Id take a walk through Dalry cemetery and the amount of children buried was sadly a lot.ย 

Yes. It is very sobering (and heartbreaking if you dwellย on it too long) to wander around old cemeteries and read the headstones. It brings into perspective ย how incredibly lucky we are toย be aliveย ย in this modern era (no conscription, good housing, amazing medical science etc) - compared to the hardships these deceased folk from the 1800's or early 1900s must have endured.ย  ย Some plots have 3 or 4 generations of a family in it ..... most with short lifespans by today's standards.ย 

ย 

Shanks said no

Another Dumfries and Galloway care home has an outbreak, as they would say in clarty Lanarkshire, not good.

ย 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

ย ..... talking of which, some unlucky ย environmental workers who've drawn the short straw will be testing the inflows to sewage plants to see if some bugger with the virus has just "got his shit together" and flushed it.ย  ย 

ย 

You can just imagine it -ย  "Hullo - is that Test & Protect ?ย  ย It's Wullie here, at theย  Airdrie sewage works.ย  We've just detected the virus passing through at 14.05 hours.ย  ย Can you find ย awra peepul who'veย flushed their bog in the last 20 minutes, and test them all ? Thanks"

ย 

ย 

ย 

It's a shite job, but there'll be a couple of hundred thousand folk at a loose end come the end of the month, so mibbe best not to knock it.

ย 

Rather Wullie than me though.ย  :(

ย 

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Another Dumfries and Galloway care home has an outbreak, as they would say in clarty Lanarkshire, not good.

ย 

ย 

This is one of the reasons I disagree with the proposals that some have where at risk folk are closeted away and everyone else strives to be infected and achieve herd immunity. Apart from question marks over how long and effective immunity might be, and the fact that some folk may have underlying conditions without realising it, I'm not sure we could confidently closet away the at risk folk in any case. You would have thought that the very least we could do at the moment is effectively isolate care homes and we can't even seem to do that right. It would be carnage.

10 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

ย 

Evenย pacifist left-wingers need stormtroops, red. ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

ย 

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, redjambo said:

ย 

Not the right time to tell you I'm a pacifist left-winger, I guess. :biggrin2:

ย 

More than willing to fight for the right cause though.

ย 

If it's any of compensation, if I were to be FM and wanted to start up a militia, your name would be the first to spring to mind to take care of it. Claverhouse would be a milksop in comparison.

ย 

My pub should be open, it goes by the law and old folk should be allowed to go there for a pint and a chat.ย 

Your pub goes by the law does it.ย 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493blrda9gntpv7wfszleo

7 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A lot of people are.

ย 

Or is it a dastardly plan to wipe out the old pensioners.ย 

ย 

giphy.gif

The Mighty Thor
12 hours ago, jonesy said:

They should provide more clarity to diffuse the situation.

๐Ÿ˜„

Didn't get the credit it deserved IMO ๐Ÿ‘

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Leitchย is on BBC news at the moment. Getting distinct impression that central belt will be treated as single area.ย 

ย 

Also he needs to stop saying the easiest thing for the SG to do is lockdown. The SG is not thereย to do the easiest thing itโ€™s there to do the best thing and letโ€™s not pretend thatโ€™s a lockdown.ย 
ย 

He is also suggesting we will get some form of family Christmas.ย 

ย 

I think that's what he meant. If we can contain this now, he have a big feck off party from the 24th of December to the 2 nd of January.

:cheers:

ย 

Hopefully covid keeps Guy fawkes in the hoose.ย 

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Leitchย is on BBC news at the moment. Getting distinct impression that central belt will be treated as single area.ย 

ย 

*Also he needs to stop saying the easiest thing for the SG to do is lockdown. The SG is not thereย to do the easiest thing itโ€™s there to do the best thing and letโ€™s not pretend thatโ€™s a lockdown.ย 
ย 

ย 

*I think that's what he meant.

If we can contain this now, he have a big feck off party from the 24th of December to the 2 nd of January.

:cheers:

ย 

Hopefully covid keeps Guy Fawkes in the hoose. Except any Guy Fawkes'

Edited by ri Alban

12 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

ย 

The 18 year old Bunnahabhain isย 

ย 

unnamed.png

Just yesterday afternoon, Thursday, I was fortunate enough to be afforded a good whiff of a couple of different barrel types.ย  Boy was uncorking a delivery of barrels from the previous night before rolling them inside for filling ... the 'peaty' whiskey/bourbon American barrels were a right short, sharp shock to the senses compared to the more subtle sherry-based ones.ย  Both :sweeet:

Edited by ArcticJambo

Another one for the 'games gone' lot

ย 

C0C959BC-8258-457F-B815-069748EC2B1E.thu

ย 

So many countries are being hit with this 'second wave' in Europe now. Belgium seems really bad, signs that their health care system is in serious trouble now, and France has now recorded a million cases overall. Even countries that did OK first time round are being hit harder.ย 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

ย 

Also he needs to stop saying the easiest thing for the SG to do is lockdown. The SG is not thereย to do the easiest thing itโ€™s there to do the best thing and letโ€™s not pretend thatโ€™s a lockdown.ย 
ย 

ย 

Thats been the rhetoric for a while now. Basically saying, think yourselves lucky cause we can makeย it worse for you.

ย 

Its likeย how abusive partners control their other half.

ย 

Yesterday we were supposed to be grateful it wasn't WW2

10 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

ย 

ย 

So many countries are being hit with this 'second wave' in Europe now. Belgium seems really bad, signs that their health care system is in serious trouble now, and France has now recorded a million cases overall. Even countries that did OK first time round are being hit harder.ย 

ย 

I like that one. Someone was going to send a birthday card but now they'll just send it two weeks late when they can buy it at Clinton's of course...protecting business ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

ย 

CavySlaveJambo
14 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Quite possible that the CV vaccine when it arrives, will only have a low level of effectiveness, in the same way that the Flu vaccine only has a low level of effectiveness, hence 10K+ UK deaths every winter from it.

The Vaccine against SARS Coronavirus 2 is completely different to the annual influenza vaccine. ย It is specifically against SATS-CoV-2.ย 
ย 

What happens with the Flu vaccine is they reformulate it every year with whichย strains of the many influenza virus strainsย the science believes will be the mainย circulating strains that year. ย And sometimesย that is why there are years it is not asย effective. ย And it doesnโ€™t cover every strain of flu only three or four. There are manyย more than that.ย 
ย 

ย 

1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

Thats been the rhetoric for a while now. Basically saying, think yourselves lucky cause we can makeย it worse for you.

ย 

ย 

ย 

At least WW2 had leaders who were able to get us out of the mess.

ย 

"We shall ban visits to the beaches,

We shall consign planes to the landing grounds,

We shan't meet in the fields and in the streets,

We shall only drink in the hills,

We've already surrendered."

ย 

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

ย 

I like that one. Someone was going to send a birthday card but now they'll just send it two weeks late when they can buy it at Clinton's of course...protecting business ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

ย 

ย 

Ken. I suppose the policy makes sense on the face of it but it's a really British solution (ie one that doesn't actually solve anything and just annoys folk).ย 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Well I've got news for Mr. Leitch, there will be a family christmas in the JJ household, no matter what Mr. Leitch says.

29 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

ย 

ย 

Didn't know Belgium are getting hit really bad cause when I seen fans in their ground against rangers the other night I thought the must be doing wellย 

ย 

ย 

Just now, theshed said:

Didn't know Belgium are getting hit really bad cause when I seen fans in their ground against rangers the other night I thought the must be doing wellย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Strange isn't it. Countries in possibly worse shape than us are making the effort to get fans in stadiums. I think it's regional though, other countries I've noticed fans in the ground in some stadiums but not others.ย 

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

ย 

That photo is hilarious, and sums things up pretty well. Like a comedy sketch.

ย 

As far as cases and waves go, I think the only true marker is number of deaths. I thought, although could be wrong, that numbers are much lower this time around.

ย 

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor/virologist.

ย 

I would go with infection rate being a better marker. I would expect number of deaths to decrease over time even if the infection rate stays constant as a lot of the more vulnerable people, such as those living in nursing homes, will have died during the first wave.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

ย 

ย 

As far as cases and waves go, I think the only true marker is number of deaths. I thought, although could be wrong, that numbers are much lower this time around.

ย 

They official death rate should be a lot lower, more in line with expectations, this time as we are obviously testing more and recording loads more cases, the vast majority of which people will recover from without hospital treatment. The physical number of deaths hopefully won't reach anywhere near the peak back in April.ย 

Nucky Thompson
21 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Is the nightingale hospital in glasgow still functional ?ย 
ย 

They have been using it for training purposesย 

jack D and coke
48 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

ย 

Well I've got news for Mr. Leitch, there will be a family christmas in the JJ household, no matter what Mr. Leitch says.

Iโ€™ll also be paying absolutely zero attention to what that twat or NS says. Christmas will be normal.ย 

Decreasing deaths while hospital numbers and ICU increase isnโ€™t us out of the storm mind. A treatment may be helping but if the hospitals are clogged and canโ€™t do their usual services then lack of deaths is meaningless.ย 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

ย 

ย 

๐Ÿ˜‚

The key metric is not infections or deaths.ย  It is hospitalisations.ย ย 

ย 

People are getting ill and then getting better,ย  but for many it involves a visit to,ย  treatment in and a stay in hospital.ย  Sometimes on supplementary oxygen and sometimes in intensive care.ย  People are willfully ignoring the fact that people are not appearing in the death statistics because they are treated.ย  The hospitals are treating a lot of people and the NHS has not been fully turned over to covid treatment in order to handle everything else.ย  The sort of illnesses that dishonest people cite as a reason to not take covid seriously.ย ย 

ย 

The only way ahead for the hospitals is for the flow of covid demand to be regulated.ย  If too much comes atย once we're in trouble,ย  as can be seen elsewhere.ย ย 

ย 

Saying that deaths is the important metric is dishonest.ย  It ignores the reasons why death numbers are what they are.ย  I suggest people find a bit of honesty and recognise the vital work our frontline workers achieve to keep that deaths metric where it is.ย 

Edited by Victorian

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

I have not seen the interview but I think they are in for a bit of a back lash if this is the case, having people in say East Lothian under the same restrictionsย as Lanarkshire or Greater Glasgow given the numbers and the stated structureย of their strategy would seem rather controversial.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

The Vaccine against SARS Coronavirus 2 is completely different to the annual influenza vaccine. ย It is specifically against SATS-CoV-2.ย 
ย 

What happens with the Flu vaccine is they reformulate it every year with whichย strains of the many influenza virus strainsย the science believes will be the mainย circulating strains that year. ย And sometimesย that is why there are years it is not asย effective. ย And it doesnโ€™t cover every strain of flu only three or four. There are manyย more than that.ย 
ย 

ย 

ย 

I don't think the uptake is as high for flu as it will be for a vaccine for CoVid. Lot's of people I know never get a flu vaccine.ย 

12 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I have not seen the interview but I think they are in for a bit of a back lash if this is the case, having people in say East Lothian under the same restrictionsย as Lanarkshire or Greater Glasgow given the numbers and the stated structureย of their strategy would seem rather controversial.

ย 

I live in East Lothian and we have 2 cases per 100k less than Tayside but their pubs and restaurants are open. Someone said it earlier, but Lothian is lumped together to stop people hopping on a bus or train for a pint or meal.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

ย 

I honestly don't think it is. Not being flippant here, the goalposts seem to keep moving. First it was protect the NHS. Then it was protect the vulnerable. Now it seems to be stop anyone from getting Covid. This insane mono

ย 

I have two close family members who are frontline health workers. And while I (privately, and without videoing myself doing so to show others on SM) applaud their work, I also recognise the ongoing, long-term sacrifices - some life-changing, some more better classified as inconveniences - thatย everyoneย has made since March.ย 

ย 

It isn't to stop anyone getting covid.ย  It's to stop too many people getting covid at the same time.ย  There's a world of a difference between those two aims.ย  Let us remember that the overall infection rate in the community is less than 1%.ย  The hospitals are seeing their demand where it is while less than 1% are infected.ย  Think of the implications of that.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Just yesterday afternoon, Thursday, I was fortunate enough to be afforded a good whiff of a couple of different barrel types.ย  Boy was uncorking a delivery of barrels from the previous night before rolling them inside for filling ... the 'peaty' whiskey/bourbon American barrels were a right short, sharp shock to the senses compared to the more subtle sherry-based ones.ย  Both :sweeet:

ย 

Livingย the dream. :sweeet:

ย 

The 18 year old Bunnahabhain has just about the right measure of both imo.

ย 

Theย deep roasted chestnut flavour that harks back to theย aromaย you'd get as you walked past theย boy that used to punt them on Princes Street in the winter time. Not as peaty as many an Islay but more than rubustย enough to fight back a bit.ย 

ย 

I have one of their single casks that I picked up from the SMWS about a decade ago. Bought three at the time butย panned two of them. Utterly divine.ย 

Saving the last one for washing down the heroin and eccies when at some point in the hopefully distant futureย it becomes clear that I'm not long for this earth.

ย 

:jjyay:

ย 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

4 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

ย 

I live in East Lothian and we have 2 cases per 100k less than Tayside but their pubs and restaurants are open. Someone said it earlier, but Lothian is lumped together to stop people hopping on a bus or train for a pint or meal.

Yea is a bit crazy, I get the point but not sure that will carry with general public givenย the governments stated new strategy they are putting travelling bans on the higher areas to lower to counter that ( I appreciate folk will just flout these but can'tย build a strategy on that).

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I think they just mothballed them all in anticipation of the new wave.

ย 

55 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They have been using it for training purposesย 

Thanks , wasnโ€™t sure if they had closed it or notย 

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The key metric is not infections or deaths.ย  It is hospitalisations.ย ย 

ย 

People are getting ill and then getting better,ย  but for many it involves a visit to,ย  treatment in and a stay in hospital.ย  Sometimes on supplementary oxygen and sometimes in intensive care.ย  People are willfully ignoring the fact that people are not appearing in the death statistics because they are treated.ย  The hospitals are treating a lot of people and the NHS has not been fully turned over to covid treatment in order to handle everything else.ย  The sort of illnesses that dishonest people cite as a reason to not take covid seriously.ย ย 

ย 

The only way ahead for the hospitals is for the flow of covid demand to be regulated.ย  If too much comes atย once we're in trouble,ย  as can be seen elsewhere.ย ย 

ย 

Saying that deaths is the important metric is dishonest.ย  It ignores the reasons why death numbers are what they are.ย  I suggest people find a bit of honesty and recognise the vital work our frontline workers achieve to keep that deaths metric where it is.ย 

ย 

You should start up a campaign to get us all outside our front doors on a Thursday night to give them a wee clap, that should help folk recognise the work our NHS staff do.

ย 

ps, As a percentage, how many people do you think aren't aware of what good our frontline workers do?

Edited by graygo

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

The Welsh government have lost the plot even more than the fruitcakes running ours.ย  These clowns seem to have missed the invention of online shopping.ย 

ย 

These areย desperate measures to penalise your own economy and those who have obeyed the rules because you won't take the unpopular enforcement actions to force those flouting existing rules to be denied access to facilities(transport, indoor spaces like shops and businesses) while refusing to comply.

ย 

Exactly the same can be said about the Scottish Government's head in the sand 5 tier system which refuses to publish the data to justify closing hospitality insteadย schools or universities and arbitrarily lists hospitality to shut while keeping schools and universities open regardless.

ย 

Anecdotal evidence and disparaging stereotypes of drinkers is not evidence to justify closing hospitality wholesale.ย  They can get this data from track and trace but I suspect it doesn't fit their narrative.

Edited by frankblack

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

ย 

You should start up a campaign to get us all outside our front doors on a Thursday night to give them a wee clap, that should help folk recognise the work our NHS staff do.

ย 

ps, As a percentage, how many people do you think aren't aware of what good our frontline workers do?

ย 

That's not the point.ย  The point is to recognise the volume of treatment carried out.ย  Covid patients need treatment and the hospitals can only deal with a finite volume.ย  Covid patients can't be put on a waiting list.ย  The very obvious point is to prevent the volume becoming too large to deal with.

ย 

People survive due to treatment.ย  What happens when there are too many people to be treated?ย  Less people survive.ย ย 

Maybe people need to think about that really busy day at work they had.ย  A day from hell when they had a huge amount of work to get through and barely the time to do it.ย  Failure to get it all done meaning that targets weren't met,ย  or customers cancelled orders,ย  or some other poor outcome.ย  Youย worked through lunch and battered through it and just about got it done.ย  Went home knackered.

ย 

Could you have done it if the workload was twice as much?ย  5 fold?

ย 

It can't be that hard to get.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

ย 

That's not the point.ย  The point is to recognise the volume of treatment carried out.ย  Covid patients need treatment and the hospitals can only deal with a finite volume.ย  Covid patients can't be put on a waiting list.ย  The very obvious point is to prevent the volume becoming too large to deal with.

ย 

People survive due to treatment.ย  What happens when there are too many people to be treated?ย  Less people survive.ย ย 

ย 

There's around 1,000 in hospital just now, there was around 1,500 in hospital at the first peak and our hospitals coped, we even built extra facilities and didn't use them. Hopefully things don't get worse than before and we cope again. If the "low hanging fruit" theory put forward earlier is correct then we might just be ok.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Maybe people need to think about that really busy day at work they had.ย  A day from hell when they had a huge amount of work to get through and barely the time to do it.ย  Failure to get it all done meaning that targets weren't met,ย  or customers cancelled orders,ย  or some other poor outcome.ย  Youย worked through lunch and battered through it and just about got it done.ย  Went home knackered.

ย 

Could you have done it if the workload was twice as much?ย  5 fold?

ย 

It can't be that hard to get.

ย 

I was in that position once, we employed more staff to share the workload and everyone carried on as before.

Just now, graygo said:

ย 

There's around 1,000 in hospital just now, there was around 1,500 in hospital at the first peak and our hospitals coped, we even built extra facilities and didn't use them. Hopefully things don't get worse than before and we cope again. If the "low hanging fruit" theory put forward earlier is correct then we might just be ok.

ย 

Precisely.ย  Coping ok at the moment.ย  Multiply the demand by a very small number and the picture becomes very different.

ย 

I guess we'll need to keep doing what has resulted in the hospitals coping then.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

ย 

Correct. Professor Leitch knows he's on a hiding to nothing if he tries to ban mixing at Christmas so might aswell make put the government are 'going to allow us' that Privilege!

1 minute ago, graygo said:

ย 

I was in that position once, we employed more staff to share the workload and everyone carried on as before.

ย 

Great.ย  Youย should get on the blower to the health secretary.

18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

ย 

The Welsh government have lost the plot even more than the fruitcakes running ours.ย  These clowns seem to have missed the invention of online shopping.ย 

ย 

These areย desperate measures to penalise your own economy and those who have obeyed the rules because you won't take the unpopular enforcement actions to force those flouting existing rules to be denied access to facilities(transport, indoor spaces like shops and businesses) while refusing to comply.

ย 

Exactly the same can be said about the Scottish Government's head in the sand 5 tier system which refuses to publish the data to justify closing hospitality insteadย schools or universities and arbitrarily lists hospitality to shut while keeping schools and universities open regardless.

ย 

Anecdotal evidence and disparaging stereotypes of drinkers is not evidence to justify closing hospitality wholesale.ย  They can get this data from track and trace but I suspect it doesn't fit their narrative.

ย 

Sky News reporting that police patrols will be patroling the border between Wales & England, and if you haven't got a good reason to be going to Wales the police can and will issue you with a fine.

ย 

WTF is going on in this country nowadays?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic