Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

This is something I would almost definitely not do. By all means encourage folk to buy drink to consume at home. Whether they have their own personal garden amphitheatre or not. ;)

redjambo for FM imo. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

manaliveits105

Auld women on radio Scotland 

just heard digital Christmas phrase for first time yesterday - so ah put on Facebook can anybody tell me what a digital Christmas is ?

50 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The bit in bold, big time. It has to be aggressively pursued while case numbers and outbreaks are still small, with ongoing emphasis on trying to create as closed a system as possible in order to ward off external reinfection. One of the factors behind the second wave was returnees from foreign holidays who didn't properly isolate on their return.

I'm not convinced about the holidaymaker theory, have you got a link so that I can edumacate myself?

A Boy Named Crow
14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Did the state premier ban the sale of beer in the supermarket?

I don't think so. He did bring in a curfew, banned people from leaving their houses for all but the most essential of purposes, and even then you couldn't go more than 5km* from your house. The point is it worked, they're basically where NSW were a few months ago now. NSW was down to very low numbers, so the state is basically open. They controlled the ocerglow from Victoria through tracing and social distancing  

Is alcohol consumption at home maybe a contributing factor to the spread of the virus in Scotland - house parties and the like? I could be wrong ** but I doubt they'd ban the sale of alcohol just to piss people off.

* May be a different number, but it wasn't far

** My wife tells me this happens more often than I think...

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Other than the well worn pictures of your esteemed leader Arthur Donaldson with the Hitler Youth? 😂 No.

You've all gone quiet on the 79 group and the Turkey vote I notice.

I've got more if you want to scream, stamp your feet and roll on the floor saying it didn't happen.. You should really check the history of the party you vote for. There is far more to them than Bullies and sex pests you know.

Good , we can now safely say that the SNP did not have a policy to support the Nazis.

Anything else you spraff about can therefore be ignored.
Have a good day. :)

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Good , we can now safely say that the SNP did not have a policy to support the Nazis.

But your ex leader supported the Nazi's. Glad you agree

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I don't think so. He did bring in a curfew, banned people from leaving their houses for all but the most essential of purposes, and even then you couldn't go more than 5km* from your house. The point is it worked, they're basically where NSW were a few months ago now. NSW was down to very low numbers, so the state is basically open. They controlled the ocerglow from Victoria through tracing and social distancing  

Is alcohol consumption at home maybe a contributing factor to the spread of the virus in Scotland - house parties and the like? I could be wrong ** but I doubt they'd ban the sale of alcohol just to piss people off.

* May be a different number, but it wasn't far

** My wife tells me this happens more often than I think...

I think house parties have been a major contributor to the resurgance of the virus across Scotland but short of plod crashing the front door with the tackety boots and truncheons I can't see a way to put a stop to it. Banning the sale of alcohol would only go some way to working if you could also control the supply of that horrific cheap cocaine and assorted amphetamines and dancing tablets. This is something that the law seem to struggle with already. 

If I remember correctly from my couple of years in Australia the police we're a far less pleasant bunch than our lot (I'm being polite), so maybe that has something to do with many Australian's willingness to comply with directives.

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

The Welsh system is about protecting businesses they have asked to close, so it isn't about judgment of what is and what is not essential groceries, so you can buy crisps and alcohol, you can't buy clothes, DVDs or a new washing machine.

Would say washing machine is essential if breaks down! 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Who has banned the sale of beer in supermarkets? 

Dunno. Maybe you can tell me.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm not convinced about the holidaymaker theory, have you got a link so that I can edumacate myself?

Nope, please just add an imo to my original statement. I based my comment on common sense (well my version of common sense, anyway) and the various news items about infections from returnees that I have read/noticed. It makes sense to me that trying to enact measures in order to internally control a system of any kind is pissing in the wind if that system is left open externally.

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:lol:

42 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The Welsh system is about protecting businesses they have asked to close, so it isn't about judgment of what is and what is not essential groceries, so you can buy crisps and alcohol, you can't buy clothes, DVDs or a new washing machine.

Mr Drakeford said supermarkets will only be able to sell 'essential items' so I struggle to see how it's not about essential groceries as he has directly said that himself. Anyone classing crisps as an essential item needs their head looked at, and frankly, wouldn't be worth listening to on any topic, no? So surely it is about essential groceries.

Even if it is about protecting other business, how does it protect businesses they've asked to close? Tesco wasn't going to suddenly hoover up the sales of clothes and electronics going forward from people who don't normally buy their clothes and electronics from Tesco, they'll either just wait or order them online. They may have picked up some ad hoc purchases but as soon as those shops open again, people will go back there. You can't protect a business from lost sales when they are closed, those sales have already gone...or will be made with them when they reopen. The damage is done when you decide to force them to close.

20 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Who has banned the sale of beer in supermarkets? 

South Africa.

Not just supermarkets, but completely.

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Nope, please just add an imo to my original statement. I based my comment on common sense (well my version of common sense, anyway) and the various news items about infections from returnees that I have read/noticed. It makes sense to me that trying to enact measures in order to internally control a system of any kind is pissing in the wind if that system is left open externally.

Fair enough, I reckon I'd have more chance of catching the virus walking down Musselburgh High Street than most of the places I might want to visit.

We've got one of the worst infection rates in Europe, anyone coming into Scotland from elsewhere is probably reducing the infection rate. I can't see anyway out of it now though without a test with immediate results or a vaccine.

A Boy Named Crow
33 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I think house parties have been a major contributor to the resurgance of the virus across Scotland but short of plod crashing the front door with the tackety boots and truncheons I can't see a way to put a stop to it. Banning the sale of alcohol would only go some way to working if you could also control the supply of that horrific cheap cocaine and assorted amphetamines and dancing tablets. This is something that the law seem to struggle with already. 

If I remember correctly from my couple of years in Australia the police we're a far less pleasant bunch than our lot (I'm being polite), so maybe that has something to do with many Australian's willingness to comply with directives.

I know while NSW was still locked down, the police weren't shy about knocking doors and dishing out fines - which is fair enough, I'd say getting fined something like $1,000 (I think) for being a walloper is bang on. Once the lockdown was lifted they were also fining l as landlords and punters for being idiots. To be honest,  they should be enforcing the law, it's what they're there for...

Konrad von Carstein
48 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Christ your hard work...see below from our previous exchange earlier in this thread...a response you kinda side stepped...

I'm out now...

Enjoy your weekend :)

Edit as Text not clear in snip:

"Yep, the pacifist and member of the Scottish Neutrality League...translated by MI5 as  him being a subversive...that's the who, not the supporting evidence (not the Express or Daily Mail) that he was a supporter, key word, of the Nazi Party. "

image.png

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

To be honest,  they should be enforcing the law, it's what they're there for...

There's ensuring folk stay within the law by fostering amiable community relations based on trust and a measure of mutual respect, then there's being a humourless bully who can't wait to throw your weight around. 

Just my experience of the Aussie plod from my dealings with them during my time there - and I was on their good-guy list. Maybe we were just spoiled here with L&B's finest. Strathclyde rozzers always seemed like dicks too. 

I suppose that times arise when a blunt exercise of power and force is required, but it seemed to me that was the Sydney plod's default position. 

35 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Christ your hard work...see below from our previous exchange earlier in this thread...a response you kinda side stepped...

I'm out now...

"Yep, the pacifist and member of the Scottish Neutrality League...translated by MI5 as  him being a subversive...that's the who, not the supporting evidence (not the Express or Daily Mail) that he was a supporter, key word, of the Nazi Party. "

image.png

Scrub that, I'm not getting involved. It's not the time or place for it.

Edited by graygo

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Your mask hasn't half slipped over the past few days and it's a sight to see. 😊

A Boy Named Crow
16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's ensuring folk stay within the law by fostering amiable community relations based on trust and a measure of mutual respect, then there's being a humourless bully who can't wait to throw your weight around. 

Just my experience of the Aussie plod from my dealings with them during my time there - and I was on their good-guy list. Maybe we were just spoiled here with L&B's finest. Strathclyde rozzers always seemed like dicks too. 

I suppose that times arise when a blunt exercise of power and force is required, but it seemed to me that was the Sydney plod's default position. 

I believe the rozzers here have had to clean up their act.  Royal commissions into corruption etc. We live next door to as huge police station in the middle of Sydney.  I encounter them most days, they've never been anything but polite.

*** while I was writing this,  I heard there are currently riots in Melbourne,  pitched battles with the police over anti-lockdown protests...Grand Final weekend, innit 😅

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, graygo said:

I was interested enough to have a quick look as I admit I knew nothing about the guy. Couple of things that stood out for me -

1. "No evidence was ever produced and Mr Donaldson was never charged."

2. Lord Baden-Powell and several Tory party members held receptions with Hitler Youth groups, are they also Nazi sympathisers?

Hmmm! 🤔

It's almost as if he talks bovine excrement any time he opines on the SNP.

🤯

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s not like there not plenty of threads for shite SNP chat🤷🏻‍♂️

Link pls.

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Hmmm! 🤔

🤯

He doesn't have any evidence for any of it because none of it bears any relation to reality. 

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I believe the rozzers here have had to clean up their act.  Royal commissions into corruption etc. We live next door to as huge police station in the middle of Sydney.  I encounter them most days, they've never been anything but polite.

*** while I was writing this,  I heard there are currently riots in Melbourne,  pitched battles with the police over anti-lockdown protests...Grand Final weekend, innit 😅

I'm going back 20 years tbh so hopefully changed days. :) 👍

7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Hmmm! 🤔

🤯

Bugger, you got in before my edit. ☹️

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Bugger, you got in before my edit. ☹️

Sorry, but your edit is correct, perhaps the mods can put his and mini me's drivel along with the various responses into the appropriate thread.

Apologies to all for my part in dragging this debate off piste.

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Your mask hasn't half slipped over the past few days and it's a sight to see. 😊

I know you hate my anti racist, anti sexist, pro equality and democractic opinions, but one thing I've never done is hide them. Try gain.

Weakened Offender
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

I know you hate my anti racist, anti sexist, pro equality and democractic opinions, but one thing I've never done is hide them. Try gain.

You must be popular around SE16 3LN. 😁

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

If that is the case then I'd suggest they start by interviewing those that took the decision to offload Covid-19 positive old folks into the care homes from primary care settings. 

Indeed, but because those decisions were taken way up the food chain, I fear it'll be lower level management/staff that'll be made the scapegoat.

On several occasions during March, Mrs JJ went into work and was told to prepare X patient for transfer to X care home and that an ambulance would pick them up at X time. 

The shop floor staff who normally have some input were completly by-passed, the decisions were made further up the food chain.

This is further evidenced by the fact that despite staff's best efforts to move patients on and out of wards pre-covid, there was often either no room at any care homes or no spaces for a home care package etc.  Some of these patients had been stuck in hospital for weeks, months, even a year or more for a few, and then suddenly almost overnight all these spaces in care homes were found/created and the wards were cleared of a lot of older people.

That takes a serious amount of clout to make things change/move that quickly, and that is why the ones who made the decisions way up the food chain won't be the ones who take the wrap for this imo.

3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I am going by what I've read, not my policy nor am I defending it

Yeh, I know. Just sharing my thoughts on it really. The messaging is again just all over the shop, 'it is to protect other businesses' yet for the reasons I've shared, I don't see how it does. 'Essential items only' apart from the hundreds (thousands) of sku's that definitely aren't essential, only the ones we've decided to pick.

It's just tokenistic nonsense to make themselves feel better about destroying other businesses and so they can say 'look, we did everything we could to protect them' imo.

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I'm out now...

image.png

You've seen the evidence. No amount of conspiracy theory hysteria can change it. 

You're goosed on this one. Put it down to History, accept the Party has changed and move on.

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

You must be popular around SE16 3LN. 😁

I'm popular wherever I drink mate.🍻

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I wonder if some parts of Scotland are likely to be able to visit indoors again when new restrictions kick in. Some areas must have incredibly low prevalence within community. 

Not a single reported case in my neighbourhood for over two weeks. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Private company in Edinburgh offering rapid result COVID test. Results in 15min apparently.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/health/edinburgh-firm-offer-private-15-minute-result-covid-19-tests-3012275%3famp

Im thinking of getting the anti body test . A chemist in Newington does it but it costs £125 ! I would only assume people would get this if they felt for sure they had had it ? 

36 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

👍

The Mighty Thor
39 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, but because those decisions were taken way up the food chain, I fear it'll be lower level management/staff that'll be made the scapegoat.

On several occasions during March, Mrs JJ went into work and was told to prepare X patient for transfer to X care home and that an ambulance would pick them up at X time. 

The shop floor staff who normally have some input were completly by-passed, the decisions were made further up the food chain.

This is further evidenced by the fact that despite staff's best efforts to move patients on and out of wards pre-covid, there was often either no room at any care homes or no spaces for a home care package etc.  Some of these patients had been stuck in hospital for weeks, months, even a year or more for a few, and then suddenly almost overnight all these spaces in care homes were found/created and the wards were cleared of a lot of older people.

That takes a serious amount of clout to make things change/move that quickly, and that is why the ones who made the decisions way up the food chain won't be the ones who take the wrap for this imo.

JJ we both know that shit does indeed travel downwards those who ultimately face the music on this will not be those that should. 

The only thing that changes that is public outcry. 

22 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Not a single reported case in my neighbourhood for over two weeks. 

None in my street since..... ever.

I should be able to visit my neighbours.

54 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

So you won't mind if Scotland expresses its democratic, sovereign right to try to gain independence without derogatory remarks. 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

So you won't mind if Scotland expresses its democratic, sovereign right to try to gain independence without derogatory remarks. 

Brace yourself!

He'll be on telling you about the time he led the London branch of the ANC in the fight against the UKs apartheid policy in the 70s. 

Like a freedom fighting Uncle Albert.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Scotland already has. Yes lost.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Brace yourself!

He'll be on telling you about the time he led the London branch of the ANC in the fight against the UKs apartheid policy in the 70s. 

Like a freedom fighting Uncle Albert.

What’s wrong with that ? These demos helped in Freeing black South Africans from tyranny and oppression . Good on him . Imagine mocking that . 

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Was stopped by a police officer in Sydney in my first few days after crossing the road in the city whilst on a red :lol:. Genuinely think he was going to fine me and my mate, as they take it so serious over there. 

Explained we had just arrived and that UK rules aren't as tight so he let us off thankfully, was mental.

5 tier system beginning at Level 0. :lol:

Level zero still won't get us back in the football so this season is absolutely written off attending unless a miracle vaccine occurs.

Heartsmad1874
5 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

5 tier system beginning at Level 0. :lol:

Level zero still won't get us back in the football so this season is absolutely written off attending unless a miracle vaccine occurs.

Yet last night, Rangers were in Belgium (who have high numbers of cases and even the team they were playing against had confirmed cases) yet they were allowed fans inside.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic