Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Weakened Offender

Nice to come home from a day's work, have a glass of wine and catch up on the utter gibberish posted on this joke of a thread now by Nutty Thomson, Chief Gonzo and James, Who Cleans His Beans. 

Moron-Central. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Nice to come home from a day's work, have a glass of wine and catch up on the utter gibberish posted on this joke of a thread now by Nutty Thomson, Chief Gonzo and James, Who Cleans His Beans. 

Moron-Central. 

You're never off this joke of a thread though posting your childish wee insults.

You should maybe lay of the Lambrini 

Weakened Offender
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

You're never off this joke of a thread though posting your childish wee insults.

You should maybe lay of the Lambrini 

It's a vintage Malbec, FYI. 

24 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Moron-Central. 

As long as you're learning something,  that's the main thing. Think of it as a free adult education course, although with all the banal, bats**t mental , unadulterated garbage you post , Nicky, James and I should really be sending you a feckin invoice.

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As long as you're learning something,  that's the main thing. Think of it as a free adult education course, although with all the banal, bats**t mental , unadulterated garbage you post , Nicky, James and I should really be sending you a feckin invoice.

I'm learning to read through tears of blood if that counts, Chief. 😁

Edited by Weakened Offender

Captain Canada

Good article by Dr John Lee. 

"There is still so much we do not even begin to understand, but one thing has been clear for months: this virus is similar to other viruses we have lived with for generations. And there is very little evidence to support the benefits of the lockdown measures.

The case for returning to normal life is simple: the social, economic and public health costs of not doing so are far greater. With the Covid hospital cases in Britain now running at 96 per cent below their peak, we can reasonably ask whether the overall situation might not be as bleak as we first feared and whether now is the time to get the country moving again."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-coronavirus-immunity-riddle/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Back to 2005
30 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Good article by Dr John Lee. 

"There is still so much we do not even begin to understand, but one thing has been clear for months: this virus is similar to other viruses we have lived with for generations. And there is very little evidence to support the benefits of the lockdown measures.

The case for returning to normal life is simple: the social, economic and public health costs of not doing so are far greater. With the Covid hospital cases in Britain now running at 96 per cent below their peak, we can reasonably ask whether the overall situation might not be as bleak as we first feared and whether now is the time to get the country moving again."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-coronavirus-immunity-riddle/amp?__twitter_impression=true

There is definitely an increase in these articles as reality hits home. Now why are the politicians choosing to ignore this? 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

This is news to me

You should pay more attention. I said may do more harm. I don't think there is much doubt even now that masks if they result in complacency about more important measures like hand washing and social distancing and not touching your face may do more harm than good. 

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, luckydug said:

You don't half exaggerate 😂

Anyway the face masks are just for confined spaces where distancing is not possible. At least that's what I've been using them for. 

But they aren't just for that. . Our local buses with a nominal capacity of 100 are restricted to 12 or 14 passengers yet I am obliged to wear a mask even if I am the only passenger.  In our local shop I am obliged to wear a mask if I am the only customer. The last time I took a train into London I had the carriage to myself. Social distancing in all these cases is far easier than in many other places where a face mask is not obligatory ... bars and restaurants for example. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Captain Canada
36 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

There is definitely an increase in these articles as reality hits home. Now why are the politicians choosing to ignore this? 

I wish I knew the answer to that. 

Governments across the world seem to be keeping measures in place that will do more harm than good to the people they're meant to serve. 

I don't know what's going to happen next and I know many will disagree with getting back to the 'old normal' but seeing people suffering when they don't have to is something I find very difficult to accept. 

Edited by Captain Canada

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But they aren't just for that. . Our local buses with a nominal capacity of 100 are restricted to 12 or 14 passengers yet I am obliged to wear a mask even if I am the only passenger.  In our local shop I am obliged to wear a mask if I am the only customer. The last time I took a train into London I had the carriage to myself. Social distancing in all these cases is far easier than in many other places where a face mask is not obligatory ... bars and restaurants for example. 

The buses up here are nowhere near as strict as your area. 

While the timetables are not quite 100% I have no experience of not being allowed on a bus because of social distancing. It might have been stricter earlier on in the lockdown right enough. 

I've not been on a train in lockdown so can't comment. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I wish I knew the answer to that. 

Governments across the world seem to be keeping measures in place that will do more harm than good to the people they're meant to serve. 

I don't know what's going to happen next and I know many will disagree with getting back to the 'old normal' but seeing people suffering when they don't have to is something I find very difficult to accept. 

The people who are shouting about getting back to normal are the ones who would be shouting the loudest for resignations etc if the government did relax the rules and a second wave killed a lot of people. 

I have sympathy for all the leaders of the four nations of the UK. 

Theirs is a massive responsibility and I don't blame them for the cautious approach. 

coconut doug
4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Government scientists are wrong all the time.

so are experts.

cholesterol good - cholesterol bad

some alcohol good - some alcohol bad

HRT good- HRT bad

mesh repairs and the list goes on

the key is realising when you are wrong and holding your hands up.

Covid has a mortality of less than 0.1% in UK at present of known cases, and will be even lower as the majority have no symptoms so are not tested.

So what the actual living **** are we doing ?

As far as i can see there are about 330,000 cases and around 41,500 deaths. This means we have a mortality of around 13% of "known cases". Where do you get your 0.1% from?

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

😂👍

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

As far as i can see there are about 330,000 cases and around 41,500 deaths. This means we have a mortality of around 13% of "known cases". Where do you get your 0.1% from?

The 330,000 are cases confirmed by a test but there are much more not confirmed by a test  , therefore the mortality rate is much lower. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Moron-Central. 

I’m one of those rare people who don’t like beans ! 

coconut doug
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The 330,000 are cases confirmed by a test but there are much more not confirmed by a test  , therefore the mortality rate is much lower. 

Are you telling us that there are 130 times more people positive for Covid that are asymptomatic.

How do you know how many cases are confirmed without a test?

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

He's wrong, the mortality rate for influenza is 0.1, Covid-19 is thought to be between 0.6 and 1.6.

https://coronavirusexplained.ukri.org/en/article/cad0002/

There's a lot of guesswork goes into producing those figures though.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You should pay more attention. I said may do more harm. I don't think there is much doubt even now that masks if they result in complacency about more important measures like hand washing and social distancing and not touching your face may do more harm than good. 

You said

"almost unanimous scientific advice for six months that masks may do more harm than good"

I dont recall almost unanimous scientific advice saying that for 6 months, can you back it up?

doctor jambo
7 hours ago, coconut doug said:

This week > 1200 new cases, 12 deaths.

overall estimate of 4 million infected  with 41000 deaths.

study today showing in healthy children mortality is 0. Like literally 0.

doctor jambo
7 hours ago, luckydug said:

The people who are shouting about getting back to normal are the ones who would be shouting the loudest for resignations etc if the government did relax the rules and a second wave killed a lot of people. 

Theirs is a massive responsibility and I don't blame them for the cautious approach. 

It’s not cautious. Sweden were cautious and took all things into account . We were over zealous and ignored everything else. We panicked

Weakened Offender
10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It’s not cautious. Sweden were cautious and took all things into account . We were over zealous and ignored everything else. We panicked

Your username is actually genius. 😁

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Cool. And less healthy children?

Back to 2005
17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Are we shutting the world now for a child having a cough?

Captain Canada
7 hours ago, luckydug said:

I have no sympathy for any of them. I agree it's a huge responsibility and it's easy to blame them in hindsight. However, the current figures don't justify the continued measures and restrictions. 

We can't just carry on like this forever. At some point, they need to show some proper leadership and make evidence-based decisions for where we are now, not where we were in March. 

21 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Your username is actually genius. 😁

He either needs the work or wants less. Either way, thank feck he's not my Doctor. And my Doctor is worse than fecking useless. She's as much use to me as a cock flavoured lollipop. 

The Internet
44 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Tbf you said known cases was 0.1% which isn't true. Nowhere near true. Even the forums hero Giesecke admitted that this has a higher mortality rate than 0.1.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Are we shutting the world now for a child having a cough?

I have no idea what you think I asked mate, I'm asking about the mortality rate for less healthy children. I dont know what it is but their lives are important too so I'd like to know.

doctor jambo
24 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A measured and reasoned response would be shielding the vulnerable, it is something that we have ALWAYS done- kids on chemo etc already get shielded and their parents given advice on how to do so and always have done, there are many threats to these kids pre corona.

I myself had a critically ill and fragile baby some years ago and and had to do similar- hygiene, hand washing, restricted visitors, avoiding other kids with him, single rooms in hospital, wearing gowns and masks to hold him in hospital etc.

We did not however, have the government locking down the entire town we lived in to keep him safe, and we understood that.

You cannot live in a risk free bubble, and you understand that, its what you live with when you have a child in that situation- you mitigate what you can, and understand that while your own world has stopped spinning for a while, the rest keep going on around about you until you re-enter it.

And anyone who comes into your bubble are asked to take reasonable measures.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

A measured and reasoned response would be shielding the vulnerable, it is something that we have ALWAYS done- kids on chemo etc already get shielded and their parents given advice on how to do so and always have done, there are many threats to these kids pre corona.

I myself had a critically ill and fragile baby some years ago and and had to do similar- hygiene, hand washing, restricted visitors, avoiding other kids with him, single rooms in hospital, wearing gowns and masks to hold him in hospital etc.

We did not however, have the government locking down the entire town we lived in to keep him safe, and we understood that.

You cannot live in a risk free bubble, and you understand that, its what you live with when you have a child in that situation- you mitigate what you can, and understand that while your own world has stopped spinning for a while, the rest keep going on around about you until you re-enter it.

And anyone who comes into your bubble are asked to take reasonable measures.

That's all fine but you're arguing a point I'm not trying to make. I'm not asking about extremes, at the end of the day something like 10% of kids are asthmatic, not to mention other related stuff, that's a lot of children. I genuinely dont know what their mortality rate is, or how difficult covid makes life for them, but I'd prefer to see it considered. 

AlphonseCapone
30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He either needs the work or wants less. Either way, thank feck he's not my Doctor. And my Doctor is worse than fecking useless. She's as much use to me as a cock flavoured lollipop. 

I think that poster is as much a doctor as I am a prohibition mobster. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

😁

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

That's all fine but you're arguing a point I'm not trying to make. I'm not asking about extremes, at the end of the day something like 10% of kids are asthmatic, not to mention other related stuff, that's a lot of children. I genuinely dont know what their mortality rate is, or how difficult covid makes life for them, but I'd prefer to see it considered. 

We are dealing with extremes though.

It is the people at the extreme that are at risk from this.

People with severe asthma

severely overweight

severe COPD

Towards the end of their life span due to underlying conditions or just extreme old age and frailty

You know- the shielding groups.

I'm arguiing for a targeted response based on solid evidence of risk.

at present and for some time it has been obvious that we are cack handedly protecting a very small number of people by locking down society and causing untold damage for, lets face it, an indefinate period .

This virus is not going away, there is no cure, and no vaccine, and may never be.

There is a distinct lack of pragmatism at play, and a dissociation from reality.

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, luckydug said:

The buses up here are nowhere near as strict as your area. 

While the timetables are not quite 100% I have no experience of not being allowed on a bus because of social distancing. It might have been stricter earlier on in the lockdown right enough. 

I've not been on a train in lockdown so can't comment. 

I think Sadiq Khan our mayor was responsible for the restriction in numbers. I am surprised Nicola had been so lax. Leaving room for social distancing seems a more obvious first step than obligatory mask wearing.

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Which is not 0.1%.

Sorry, late to the party, it's been mentioned.

Edited by graygo

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Tbf you said known cases was 0.1% which isn't true. Nowhere near true. Even the forums hero Giesecke admitted that this has a higher mortality rate than 0.1.

It wasn't the Doc who made that claim.

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

You said

"almost unanimous scientific advice for six months that masks may do more harm than good"

I dont recall almost unanimous scientific advice saying that for 6 months, can you back it up?

I know what I said. For six months we followed the science (from WHO. Sage et al) which said general wearing of  masks by the public may do more harm than good e.g.  if it makes people relax on the  more important measures like hand washing and social distancing or if the masks are not used properly. Note the word may. 

I have not seen that science repealed.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I know what I said. For six months we followed the science (from WHO. Sage et al) which said general wearing of  masks by the public may do more harm than good e.g.  if it makes people relax on the  more important measures like hand washing and social distancing or if the masks are not used properly. Note the word may. 

What does the "science" say about the proper wearing of masks?

We already know what it says about hand washing and social distancing.

Weakened Offender
11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

FB_IMG_1598606547322.jpg

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

What does the "science" say about the proper wearing of masks?

We already know what it says about hand washing and social distancing.

It says disposable masks should be disposed of after use and that washable masks should be washed after use, that they should not be handled other than by the attachment straps, that masks should cover both nose and mouth. Not rules widely observed. 

PS that's what I have read. Of course I may have read it in a YouTube conspiracy video! Like I did the longstanding WHO and SAGE advice over many months until very recently.

Edited by Francis Albert

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It says disposable masks should be disposed of after use and that washable masks should be washed after use, that they should not be handled other than by the attachment straps, that masks should cover both nose and mouth. Not rules widely observed. 

Well yes but that's not really what I asked.

How about the science about the proper wearing of masks which is what I asked.

To clarify, I mean what are the benefits of using them not how to use them.

Edited by graygo

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Well yes but that's not really what I asked.

How about the science about the proper wearing of masks which is what I asked.

I assume the advice is based on some sort of science. But maybe not. Maybe it makes no difference scientifically if you just  wear it over your chin once you have passed the guards on the shop door ... as happens.

Edited by Francis Albert

AlphonseCapone
Just now, Francis Albert said:

I assume the advice is based on some sort of science. But maybe not. Maybe it makes no difference if you just  wear it over your chin once you have passed the guards on the shop door ... as happens.

That's still not wearing the mask properly which he's asking you about. Doubt anyone will argue about masks being ineffective if worn around the chin. 

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I assume the advice is based on some sort of science. But maybe not. Maybe it makes no difference scientifically if you just  wear it over your chin once you have passed the guards on the shop door ... as happens.

Still no answer to the question.

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

I have no sympathy for any of them. I agree it's a huge responsibility and it's easy to blame them in hindsight. However, the current figures don't justify the continued measures and restrictions. 

We can't just carry on like this forever. At some point, they need to show some proper leadership and make evidence-based decisions for where we are now, not where we were in March. 

What would you do, difficult times with difficult decisions.

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

What would you do, difficult times with difficult decisions.

Be a selfish manchild and not care about vulnerable people who could die, by the looks of things. 

11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

What do you make of the French government now making masks compulsory everywhere ? 

Makes the UK look carefree 😁

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic