Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

There is a new App, the old App was all about harvesting our data, but it was scrapped

Apologies in that case and thanks for bringing me up to speed.

The article I was referring to was the following:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52442754

Of course I (we) constantly share our information with the NHS without even thinking about it as I trust them to use it in the correct way. Was just throwing it out there as a suggestion as I am stumped by the question 'why would they do this if there wasn't a need?' It's a good question which I find hard to answer as whilst I don't get it and think it's a hammer to crack a nut I equally don't think there's some mad conspiracy

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Climate change, a reduction in carbon emissions.??  There are a lot of influential lobby groups who will be delighted to see the reduction in air travel, the demise of the rush hour  everyone coccooned in their houses. Uk wide, councils are taking advantage of Covid to extend pavements,  cycle lanes and disrupt traffic flow. Pharma companies, hugely influential,  have most to gain from widespread fear and the reliance on a vaccine.  Just a thought.

If it was to do with climate change, I think a president in the USA would have flagged this up though. What about the other countries that don't give a shit about climate change like China, why did they lock down? 

Same with pharma companies. How can it be rationalised that countries like China and Russia have had lock downs when they won't be influenced by these same pharma companies? Why would some countries go into and come out of lockdown before a vaccine? 

Maybe the real reason for lockdowns that seem to be going on is really banal, like politicians, being humans, are scared of any fault falling at their door if things went badly. What we see is small chances might feel huge when it's your decision to make. 

Occum's razor applies for me here. 

Just off the phone to the helpline, wee man hasn't to go for a test, just to treat it like a cold (I've no doubt that's what he's got) and monitor for any change in symptoms).

Guy said they have been overwhelmed by calls from parents/carers of children who have been sent home from school and that the schools probably need educated more on Covid symptoms. That maybe applies to the parents/carers too.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

No ignoring from me, I appreciate the insight. I'm really not trying to present it as a conspiracy or anything untoward.  Completely agree with the part in bold. I guess I just view this whole thing as one of those foul ups whereas others see it as a good thing. I'm just putting out my best guesses as to why they may not want to hold there hands up and say 'we got it wrong' (I appreciate they may not have got it wrong' so obviously wouldn't do that but coming from the standpoint that they did).

When I talk about government I also just mean in a general sense, not specifically the Scottish or UK ones. 

It’s obvious they are keeping it going to save face. It’s no surprise that independence polls are at an all time high as NS never been off the tv , having free reign to talk about other issues and not just corona at these daily briefings . Of course she wants it to continue as it’s increasing the SNPs popularity . These briefings we’re meant to be dropped to 3 a week but I can guarantee that they won’t due to these new deaths . I’m not saying she is happy with the deaths or rates of infections but is using it as an additional tool in her armour for independence . Admittedly she has came over very well in these briefings but it’s time to reduce them or at the least get some other mp to lead them  

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Just off the phone to the helpline, wee man hasn't to go for a test, just to treat it like a cold (I've no doubt that's what he's got) and monitor for any change in symptoms).

Guy said they have been overwhelmed by calls from parents/carers of children who have been sent home from school and that the schools probably need educated more on Covid symptoms. That maybe applies to the parents/carers too.

That's good news at least 👍

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

“ need more education “ on symptoms ? We have had it rammed down our throats since March . A better response would be to stop the media fear mongering 

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

It’s obvious they are keeping it going to save face. It’s no surprise that independence polls are at an all time high as NS never been off the tv , having free reign to talk about other issues and not just corona at these daily briefings . Of course she wants it to continue as it’s increasing the SNPs popularity . These briefings we’re meant to be dropped to 3 a week but I can guarantee that they won’t due to these new deaths . I’m not saying she is happy with the deaths or rates of infections but is using it as an additional tool in her armour for independence . Admittedly she has came over very well in these briefings but it’s time to reduce them or at the least get some other mp to lead them  

She actually goes out her way not to and constantly reminds journalists the briefings are about covid. She also avoids being particularly political with it though you can argue she is FM so everything she says is arguably politic. 

The bounce in independence is the perceived responses of SG and UK governments. Sometimes the SG looks good purely because the UKG have made such stupid decisions. 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The bounce in independence is the perceived responses of SG and UK governments. Sometimes the SG looks good purely because the UKG have made such stupid decisions. 

:spoton:

Chuck in a helthy measure of Brexit, a Labour party struggling for an identity, and general Tory shitehousery to that mix.

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

She actually goes out her way not to and constantly reminds journalists the briefings are about covid. She also avoids being particularly political with it though you can argue she is FM so everything she says is arguably politic. 

Yes she's hardly got outstanding competition from BJ and his mob 

Francis Albert
32 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

“ need more education “ on symptoms ? We have had it rammed down our throats since March . A better response would be to stop the media fear mongering 

It has clearly not been rammed down our throats enough when so many including NHS Edinburgh seem to think a runny nose and sniffles are coronavirus symptoms. You are however right that media has contributed to inducing irrational fear .

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

So in sight of the obvious agendas at play on here by some, I think we can safely rule out Scottish Independence as reason for any continued lockdown measures. I'm sure that the Argentine lockdown is not still in place to try and further the cause of the SNP.

Of course not. It would be naive however to assume the minor differences between the Holyrood and Westminster responses have not been influenced by politics. On both sides of the border, as Westminster follows Holyrood on face masks in schools.

Edited by Francis Albert

Back to 2005
19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Reading that, the boy who got smacked is a fecking hypocrite 

He's certainly a complete fecking twat. Mind your own business and you won't get smacked in the face.

Other bloke should be charged for wearing a Gap hoodie! 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He seemed to be a professional shit stirrer and unfortunately met his match with that brute.  Lesson to be learned,  is there is always someone harder and bigger around the corner as my mother often warned me and my bros. In other words be careful who u get wide with.... 

Nucky Thompson

11 teenagers from Plymouth have tested positive after returning from Zante. They were with a group of thirty 18 and 19 year olds.

They were asymptomatic and went out to restaurants and bars in Plymouth on their return.

I expect we'll see an outbreak there. 

It seems like the vast majority of young people are asymptomatic and don't know they have it

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

11 teenagers from Plymouth have tested positive after returning from Zante. They were with a group of thirty 18 and 19 year olds.

They were asymptomatic and went out to restaurants and bars in Plymouth on their return.

I expect we'll see an outbreak there. 

It seems like the vast majority of young people are asymptomatic and don't know they have it

Which has been a problem from day one.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

One of those stories where all the people involved are utter *****. 

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Which has been a problem from day one.

Being asymptopic seems a good thing rather than a problem 

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

All the decisions are political, I'm not sure there is much party politics at play however, even with the small differences in timings etc. I think the similarity of policy shows they are all acting in the same scientific advice, NS has made the same mistakes as Boris and vice versa, the narrative should be more about how we have arsed this up together as a UK rather then about small differences in each country of the Union meaning we are splitting apart.

Anyway, as fas I can tell the governments through the world are not wanting to impose lockdown measures for any reason other than to protect its citizens, some from themselves it would seem.

I didn't say party politics. But when Scotland imposed masks in schools however weak "the science"  then the UK government was pressurised to follow. Politically any death or even a case that could plausibly be attributed to absence of a mask would be political dynamite. Or even implausibljy attributed for that matter.

Sturgeon has played this wonderfully. Even down here in Englandshire she is some sort of hero among the coronavirus obsessives.

24 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I didn't say party politics. But when Scotland imposed masks in schools however weak "the science"  then the UK government was pressurised to follow. Politically any death or even a case that could plausibly be attributed to absence of a mask would be political dynamite. Or even implausibljy attributed for that matter.

Sturgeon has played this wonderfully. Even down here in Englandshire she is some sort of hero among the coronavirus obsessives.

:rofl:

Epic slaver. 

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Worth a watch. 

Excellent video . Love his blunt , no nonsense approach . Now if we could only get the UK to listen to him 👍

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Asymptomatic would be great if everyone was, unfortunately it's not great for the people in close contact with asymptomatic carriers.

Brighton Jambo
16 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Same. Makes zero sense as far as I can tell. Hopefully at least one of the people that think the government want to continue lockdown can explain why that is the case. Genuinely interested in the angle they see. 

I don’t think the government want to continue lockdown.  What i do think was that lockdown was a very blunt instrument used for everyone on mass and supported by some very strong rhetoric around the dangers of the virus.  Now more is understood and it’s clear the virus isn’t as dangerous as it was once thought to be (for the majority of the population) but it’s very hard to walk back from the that approach and that messaging.  It’s a political problem as much as anything basically they would have to admit they overreacted with what they brought into place.  Personally that would be unfair in my view as it was scary numbers initially but that’s politics for you.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

£140 pound to cover your wages for one week's self isolation. £180 for a fortnight. 

:rofl:Feck me, that'll make everyone stay in the hoose. Idiots! 

Brighton Jambo
26 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You can say that, but that is not the majority view of the experts.

So to clarify, you are saying the majority of experts are saying that this virus is as deadly for the whole population as was believed back in March? 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

£140 pound to cover your wages for one week's self isolation. £180 for a fortnight. 

They should be doing it anyway. Only in this soft country do we obsess about pandering to everyone's whims. With entitlements come responsibilities.  Just do it.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Rich *****

10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Not if you work in a care home or hospital or are around other vulnerable people, then that's a problem, a big problem.

The Internet

I do quite like Giesecke and his boomer confidence. Always stuck to his guns, trusts the public and never even entertained the notion that he might be wrong. I don't know how respected he is in the medical or scientific community but he seems to talk a lot of sense. 

The number of weekly COVID-19 cases in England has declined for the first time since July, new figures show.

A total of 6,115 people tested positive for coronavirus in the week to 19 August, figures from the government's test and trace operation have revealed.

That is 8% lower than the week before and the first decrease since the beginning of July.

doctor jambo
18 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

We destroyed our economy and we will all be paying it for years, for this...

I cannot they got it wrong on a massive scale

" We are not trying to police your social life "  NS today at the briefing.  Also at the briefing the polis have now powers to disperse groups of over 15 at household parties.   She's off her f****** trolley now. 

Edited by Robbofan99

JudyJudyJudy

This is not a spoof....I still cant actually believe it.  

Edited by JamesM48

56 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Plus the local lockdowns. Plus the threat of school closures. Plus the fear hardwired into millions of people thanks to wall to wall coverage. 

Sweden have this as a policy too. https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/

See 'Quarantine and lockdown'.

Edited by Ray Gin

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Has to be a spoof, that is unbelievable........

Apparently its not. ?  

jack D and coke

The Swedish guy in the video is 100% correct. We’ve backed ourselves into a corner and have no idea how to get out of it. Locking down now looks like the exact opposite of what we should’ve done. Now every little spike of infections has us running for cover and the recovery from this madness will take a long time. The public are a panic driven mess and the governments even worse. 

Went to the doctors today. Made me wear a mask which was torturous. If it wasn’t for the fact i have a golf ball sized lump sticking out of my groin area I wouldn’t have bothered. Got a hernia she reckons caused by the scar tissue from when I had my appendix removed.

What a shxt show, Sturgeon has just said kids should not be of school with runny noses etc if no Covid symptoms and parents should use there judgments !!

Edited by steve123

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The Swedish guy in the video is 100% correct. We’ve backed ourselves into a corner and have no idea how to get out of it. Locking down now looks like the exact opposite of what we should’ve done. Now every little spike of infections has us running for cover and the recovery from this madness will take a long time. The public are a panic driven mess and the governments even worse. 

Genuinely not seeing a panicking public. Where are all these people who are freaking out, running around for cover? 

The Internet
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Genuinely not seeing a panicking public. Where are all these people who are freaking out, running around for cover? 

Social media. A clear representation of real life actions. 

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Went to the doctors today. Made me wear a mask which was torturous. If it wasn’t for the fact i have a golf ball sized lump sticking out of my groin area I wouldn’t have bothered. Got a hernia she reckons caused by the scar tissue from when I had my appendix removed.

Wearing one of these things inside out, were you?

devil-fashion-women-s-spikey-leather-fac

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Wearing one of these things inside out, were you?

devil-fashion-women-s-spikey-leather-fac

Nah mate. But my claustrophobia was going through the motions.  Stop being a dick. 

Have avoided places that require the wearing of face masks. Wore it when I had to so don’t understand why your being such a smart arse. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic