Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

I think there are two major problems with this thread (and one of the reasons I've tended to avoid it for a while now): (i) there's a shed load of political bickering and point-scoring goes on, (ii) there's a constant fight between science/information and dogma/misinformation. I hadn't realised quite how many folk develop conceptions of the world and then attempt to justify and defend those by twisting or ignoring reality as they see fit.

It's almost as if we're starting to live in an age of anti-enlightenment. And this thread encapsulates it.

I agree with you on the politicization of covid.

As someone whose close ones are high risk I've found myself torn .

I have real reservations about the response.

Mostly because of the collateral damage but in part because of the risk versus response.

For me a far greater threat to humanity is environmental impact.

Yet no such drastic measures are taken.

Not really a question for you just wondered your thoughts .

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Laughable isn't it. These experts are questionable, don't take them seriously, take heed oh what every non educated Tom, Dick and tit on a football forum has to say on the topic.

You have to be pretty non educated to accept the views of  experts who.support your opinioms and preconceptions and ignore or dsmiss the experts who don't. 

Been back working for around 10 to 12 weeks now.

No one I know on site 

No one on site who knows anyone has caught it etc.

Not much attention paid to social distance etc.

Just saying.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

You have to be pretty non educated to accept the views of  experts who.support your opinioms and preconceptions and ignore or dsmiss the experts who don't. 

Yes, exactly.  If you automatically accept that an expert's opinion is correct then that surely applies to the experts whose views don't fit your narrative.  The truth is that there is no science around Covid. Plenty experts who want their tuppence worth to be heard but all disagreeing with each other.

45 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What a load of vacuous shite. The only preconception people patently smarter than you are have is that the experts in any scientific field are infinitely more knowledgeable and worthy of listening to than some some non educated tit on a football forum.

What sort of idiot thinks they can question it. Got any non educated opinions on string theory anybody should be bothering their arse with? Maybe relativity considering Einstein was only an expert in the field? Not a non educated tit on a football forum. 

Or is it only in the field of pandemic virology the non educated tits on football forums can take centre stage while scientists are to be doubted?

It's Trump level stupidity. Be sceptical of the experts but never for a  moment think it's valid to label some non educated tit pontificating on a football forum as a joke.

Because that's taking scepticism too far isn't it. Actually it isn't, but to quote Trump, not many people know that.

Edited by JFK-1

coconut doug
17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yet even then Russia or the Soviet Union if you like sent in the tanks in response to popular dissent.  I think you know what the response would have been (and in fact was) in the case of dissent within the Soviet Union.

Russia and the USSR are significantly different entities. I'm not aware of them sending in tanks in response to popular dissent.

Many went to the gulags but just like everywhere else their society has evolved. You said very few of those who lived there would consider it a success and another poster said that the people were ground into the dirt. Neither of you have any credible evidence to support your views. The Soviet union was incredibly popular amongst the vast majority of its citizens who took immense pride in their achievements.  Yes there were dissenters, there always are, but the scale of dissent was blown up by the west for propaganda reasons.

They had a referendum on whether they wanted the USSR to continue and the support for it to continue was over 70% in every state. Despite the popular support for the USSR it was dissolved not because people didn't want it but to serve the interests of  western capitalism through their agents the corrupt oligarchs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Soviet_Union_referendum

This link shows the nature of the referendum and the results

I wont post on this topic again and i only did so in the first place to challenge the all to frequent russophobic, right wing nonsense that  passes for fact on here.

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

What a load of vacuous shite. The only preconception people patently smarter than you are have is that the experts in any scientific field are infinitely more knowledgeable and worthy of listening to than some some non educated tit on a football forum.

What sort of idiot thinks they can question it. Got any non educated opinions on string theory anybody should be bothering their arse with? Maybe relativity considering Einstein was only an expert in the field? Not a non educated tit on a football forum. 

Or is it only in the field of pandemic virology the non educated tits on football forums can take centre stage while scientists are to be doubted?

It's Trump level stupidity. Be sceptical of the experts but never for a  moment think it's valid to label some non educated tit pontificating on a football forum as a joke.

Because that's taking scepticism too far isn't it. Actually it isn't, but to quote Trump, not many people know that.

The orange arsehole can't even come up with his own quotes. ☹️

414DS02DS9L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Spectacularly indeed embarrassingly missing the point.

15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Just another of your uneducated rants, with the obligatory Trump name-check. You seem incapable of actually interpreting what FA was saying:

So, to summarise for you:

Why do you pick and choose which "expert" opinions you quote and believe?  Surely, the experts whose opinions don't fit your agenda have equally,  valid opinions. To use your own phrase: why are these scientists to be doubted?

There is a world of difference between proven science and "modelling", predictive science that is unproven guess work.  Similar to the difference between predicting the outcome of games at 2.55pm on a Saturday afternoon and the actual results come 5pm. We don't need any references to Trump in your reply. Thanks.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

25 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Just another of your uneducated rants, with the obligatory Trump name-check. You seem incapable of actually interpreting what FA was saying:

So, to summarise for you:

Why do you pick and choose which "expert" opinions you quote and believe?  Surely, the experts whose opinions don't fit your agenda have equally,  valid opinions. To use your own phrase: why are these scientists to be doubted?

There is a world of difference between proven science and "modelling", predictive science that is unproven guess work.  Similar to the difference between predicting the outcome of games at 2.55pm on a Saturday afternoon and the actual results come 5pm. We don't need any references to Trump in your reply. Thanks.

Tell you what i'm not, i'm not a non educated tit pontificating on scientific findings as if i'm qualified to do so. And i'm not a liar who would waffle further shite about putting anybody on ignore then being straight back in there begging for their attention soon after.

Tell you what I will do, I will now put you on ignore. And unlike you when I say that you can take it for certain that I will never see another of your non educated babbles. I will even tell you why.

Only so much inanity can be inflicted on ones eyes before it starts verging into pointless overkill. Since I have noted in the past that you appear to be a sort of inanity King around here you are that overkill.

The classic example of talking to be talking while saying absolutely nothing logically coherent. So you run along into that overkill bin i'm placing you in and talk to yourself. I know the likes of you would talk to a brick wall if there was nothing else to say nothing to.

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Yet even then Russia or the Soviet Union if you like sent in the tanks in response to popular dissent.  I think you know what the response would have been (and in fact was) in the case of dissent within the Soviet Union.

What!? Like Churchill did with George Square. 

7 hours ago, jake said:

Been back working for around 10 to 12 weeks now.

No one I know on site 

No one on site who knows anyone has caught it etc.

Not much attention paid to social distance etc.

Just saying.

Aye, you said. 

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Tell you what i'm not, i'm not a non educated tit pontificating on scientific findings as if i'm qualified to do so. And i'm not a liar who would waffle further shite about putting anybody on ignore then being straight back in there begging for their attention soon after.

Tell you what I will do, I will now put you on ignore. And unlike you when I say that you can take it for certain that I will never see another of your non educated babbles. I will even tell you why.

Only so much inanity can be inflicted on ones eyes before it starts verging into pointless overkill. Since I have noted in the past that you appear to be a sort of inanity King around here you are that overkill.

The classic example of talking to be talking while saying absolutely nothing logically coherent. So you run along into that overkill bin i'm placing you in and talk to yourself. I know the likes of you would talk to a brick wall if there was nothing else to say nothing to.

Thanks for completely avoiding the issues and details yet again. Every post is a rant which tells it's own story about your motives for quoting only one strand of " scientific " opinion.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I don't think some people's ignore function is working. 

JFK will have so many folk on ignore he'll wind up arguing with himself over which part of him is the uneducated internet tit, except on the Trump thread, where he'll be in complete agreement.

joondalupjambo
13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyone can get tested. Just go online and book a test. 

Only if you have the symptons or meet certain conditions ri according to the NHS website.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/get-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/

Scottish teachers and other education staff can get one on demand if they feel at risk with no signs of symptoms.   That is a big difference.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

JFK will have so many folk on ignore he'll wind up arguing with himself over which part of him is the uneducated internet tit, except on the Trump thread, where he'll be in complete agreement.

I'm often not in agreement with non educated babbling internet tits, that's for sure. I accept the data scientists come up with to produce a wide concensus. They're not non educated tits pulling uneducated shite out of their arses. 

If some non educated tit comes along babbling with his own non educated tit theory, he's a tit. Indisputably.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm often not in agreement with non educated babbling internet tits, that's for sure. I accept the data scientists come up with to produce a wide concensus. They're not non educated tits pulling uneducated shite out of their arses. 

If some non educated tit comes along babbling with his own non educated tit theory, he's a tit. Indisputably.

You could always just politely disagree. 

There's no real need for the insults and internet indignation.

We've never faced an existential and economic crisis like this in the internet age and folk are bound to express themselves differently. We are all rationalising this in the way that suits and helps us best to get through it, you included, but that doesn't mean that any of us are right. Of course some opinions are better informed than others, but there is very little by the way of absolute objectivity to be found. We all pick and choose. That's the only indisputable fact.

Your diatribes on the Trump thread are a joy to read, but that style doesn't translate well to a subject as necessarily subjective as this one. 👍

Unknown user
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

You could always just politely disagree. 

There's no real need for the insults and internet indignation.

We've never faced an existential and economic crisis like this in the internet age and folk are bound to express themselves differently. We are all rationalising this in the way that suits and helps us best to get through it, you included, but that doesn't mean that any of us are right. Of course some opinions are better informed than others, but there is very little by the way of absolute objectivity to be found. We all pick and choose. That's the only indisputable fact.

Your diatribes on the Trump thread are a joy to read, but that style doesn't translate well to a subject as necessarily subjective as this one. 👍

👍

It's a sad day when it dawns on you that in reality your nothing more than a sad football forum internet tit. 

🤤🤤🤤😢😢😢😢😢

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Bull's-eye said:

It's a sad day when it dawns on you that in reality your nothing more than a sad football forum internet tit. 

🤤🤤🤤😢😢😢😢😢

:sob:

9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, exactly.  If you automatically accept that an expert's opinion is correct then that surely applies to the experts whose views don't fit your narrative.  The truth is that there is no science around Covid. Plenty experts who want their tuppence worth to be heard but all disagreeing with each other.

So you agree that it would be foolish to dismiss what was said by a Professor of Epidemiology? Good. 

At the risk of creating another bun fight, why do people use 'non educated' rather than uneducated?

The use of 'un' suggests someone once was but no longer is to me. However the dictionary definition doesn't reflect that and uneducated appears to be the correct term.

44 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

🤤🤤🤤😢😢😢😢😢

We need more internet tits imo.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

A "wide consensus" ? Is that a euphemism for "being in complete disagreement with each other"? It's not for me, I'm asking on behalf of a "non (sic) educated internet tit".😂

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

At the risk of creating another bun fight, why do people use 'non educated' rather than uneducated?

The use of 'un' suggests someone once was but no longer is to me. However the dictionary definition doesn't reflect that and uneducated appears to be the correct term.

It's a lexical minefield, Taffin, but it looks like folk deploy non educated as opposed to uneducated in an attempt to make themselves appear more smarterer.

Straight out of the snoreson book of internet wankery.

39 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

We need more internet tits imo.

If you visit .net (or The Terrace) you would retract that statement quite quickly.

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's a lexical minefield, Taffin, but it looks like folk deploy non educated as opposed to uneducated in an attempt to make themselves appear more smarterer.

Straight out of the snoreson book of internet wankery.

It's a tricky one. Can you be uneducated if you were never educated to begin with? Though I suppose you can have untied shoelaces that have never previously been tied. Though you'd always tell someone that their lace is either 'undone' or 'untied' rather than 'non tied'.

I concur that I can certainly imagine Shaun using it...

Anyway, it's well off topic so apologies to everyone for that 😂

Not at all. Epidemiologist opinions are always welcome. Even ones who admit they misjudged the virus. 

Edited by Ray Gin

24 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Have you just posted a question about why people are using the correct term according to the dictionary? 

Sorry that's just poor wording on my part. My question was why do they use non educated. Uneducated seems to be correct; I was just musing that I can see how that may suggest they were at one point educated before becoming uneducated and hence why people don't use it.

24 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m horrific at written English for a variety of reasons. However, I would go with uneducated, as we all receive a education it just didn’t workout for some . Non educated is someone who receives no education, that doesn’t apply to many people in a developed countrIes. 

Gov T got it spot on. It’s just ad hominem argument from internet tits, who have lost the discussion. There are few experts who excel it on JKB. Though proof that being a expert in something isn’t automatically a good thing. 

A lot of people on JKB think discussion is about winning an argument. This causes a lot of issues as your tied to a position. 

It wasn't meant as a dig at anyone as I probably use both if I'm honest. I just wasn't sure why people use non educated when we don't tend to phrase other things in that way. Non trained, non tied, non done etc. Was just a light question really in amongst a lot of morbid and dark questions. I could start a thread about it though if I wanted to as it's not relevant here really. 👍

There's evidence on this thread that some posters,   who advocate the avoidance of discrimination for & against expert opinion on the basis of pre-conceived positions,   do themselves practice discrimination for & against expert opinion on the basis of pre-conceived positions.   

It's almost impossible to be a hypocrite and avoid appearing a hypocrite.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

So you agree that it would be foolish to dismiss what was said by a Professor of Epidemiology? Good. 

Of course it would be foolish for an unqualified person to dismiss what he said or what Anders Tengel for example says. The point is that it is equally foolish for that person to treat what either said as "proven" and conclusive.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Personally I used not educated simply because I was quoting JFK1 who used it and didn't want to invite a linguistic bun fight!. In fact from googling non educated in common usage just means not educated whereas uneducated means with little or no education. the difference to the extent there is any doesn't matter for the purposes of the discussion.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Of course it would be foolish for an unqualified person to dismiss what he said or what Anders Tengel for example says. The point is that it is equally foolish for that person to treat what either said as "proven" and conclusive.

I've never dismissed what Anders Tengel says, nor claimed any conclusions to the debate. :thumbsup: 

22 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Just like you admitting your wrong, not to consider any other option than lockdown. Good lad it’s important to admit your mistakes👍

I have considered other options. I've just not considered them to be good options.

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I've never dismissed what Anders Tengel says, nor claimed any conclusions to the debate. :thumbsup: 

Good! 

Edited by Francis Albert

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I have considered other options. I've just not considered them to be good options.

So you are qualified to consider the opinions of "experts" as "not good options"?? On what basis?

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Why? You more qualified that Anders 😂

Anders is kind of out on a limb compared to the response from the rest of the planet and admits he would have done it differently given the chance. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52903717#:~:text=Sweden's%20controversial%20decision%20not%20to,%2C%20Anders%20Tegnell%2C%20has%20acknowledged.&text=Dr%20Tegnell%20told%20Swedish%20radio%20more%20should%20have%20been%20done%20early%20on.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

So you are qualified to consider the opinions of "experts" as "not good options"?? On what basis?

I'm going with the consensus of experts across the planet. :thumbsup: 

If they change their mind then I'll trust they are correct.

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Not at all. Epidemiologist opinions are always welcome. Even ones who admit they misjudged the virus. 

I would tend to mistrust any epidemiologist who didn't admit he or she misjudged the virus!

(same goes for politicians and internet tits)

Just now, Lord BJ said:

FFS no need for a lockdown should have just closed Nando’s down. 

I wonder if COVID survives the cooking process?

Sure hope not! I'm not planning on eating any raw chicken anyway. 

Big order for PPE manufactured in Dumfries. £53m. 200 jobs generated as well. Good to see we are making our own.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic