Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, jake said:

What per cent of over 70s infected died from it though?

And if the effect on the rest of the population is to increase deaths by for example cancer treatments etc the horrible reality is that we maybe have to choose .

To use a shite metaphor and I hope I dont offend .

If there was one seat left on a lifeboat who gets it?

I know shite but I hope you get where I'm coming from.

We are no longer in a place where cancer treatments, or any other emergency treatment, should be affected. Local lockdowns are a way of keeping it that way. Let the virus run free and hospital wards and Intensive Care will quickly fill up again. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of him suddenly caring about the impact of austerity when he couldn't give two hoots last year when voting in the general election. 

I've no issue with what doctors earn. Voting for the party that inflicted this austerity because it might save him £20 a month, I do have issue with. 

The correct meaning of the word austerity was lost a long time ago due to  the hysteria  of the left.  Every govt has a duty to be austere, given the fact that they are spending other people's money.  It's not a bad word....just another soundbite like "bedroom tax" etc. Every Conservative govt in history has had to clear up the mess left by the outgoing Labour govt. None more so than back in 1979 after the Winter of Discontent when the country was on it's knees. Reducing our eye watering interest charges and providing an incentive for people to go out and work , is a laudable aim.

J.T.F.Robertson

Legalised euthanasia is not far off. Way too many of us aged fekers kicking around, way too many of us, full stop.

Methinks it will also be the first step in negating those who don't "measure up". The morals, ethics etc. of it all will undergo "revisions".

We're a pliant bunch when it's not immediately affecting us.

Ahm away to take some happy pills.

Everybody has to get used to the idea that we're probably going to be struggling with this virus for years. We're not going to smallpox it out of existence, it's far too infectious and widespread for that. And it's likely being carried in animals too.

One of my greatest fears is an even more deadly mutation popping up. We know it's mutating and in fact latest research suggests "the coronavirus accumulates about two changes per month in its genome"

There's even speculation that the introduction of a vaccine may trigger it to mutate quicker.

The pandemic virus is slowly mutating. But is it getting more dangerous?

9 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

He really hasn’t, that you just making stuff up now. He suggested shielding that age group😂

Anyway economic and social consequences of lockdown. Discuss. 

Recorded growth in Scotland. We should be back on track by October, hopefully. 👍

4 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Legalised euthanasia is not far off. Way too many of us aged fekers kicking around, way too many of us, full stop.

Methinks it will also be the first step in negating those who don't "measure up". The morals, ethics etc. of it all will undergo "revisions".

We're a pliant bunch when it's not immediately affecting us.

Ahm away to take some happy pills.

giphy.gif

Help is on its way! 

giphy.gif

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Everybody has to get used to the idea that we're probably going to be struggling with this virus for years. We're not going to smallpox it out of existence, it's far too infectious and widespread for that. And it's likely being carried in animals too.

One of my greatest fears is an even more deadly mutation popping up. We know it's mutating and in fact latest research suggests "the coronavirus accumulates about two changes per month in its genome"

There's even speculation that the introduction of a vaccine may trigger it to mutate quicker.

So much speculation and so many fears. You missed the fear that it will mutate to a form that penetrates masks even more easily than.it already does.

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

We are no longer in a place where cancer treatments, or any other emergency treatment, should be affected. Local lockdowns are a way of keeping it that way. Let the virus run free and hospital wards and Intensive Care will quickly fill up again. 

Maybe they shouldn't be affected but they certainly are and will be for a long time. Face to face contact with a GP difficult to obtain so the gateway to treatments not really open. And 6 months backlog for colonoscopy for example. The level of fear induced means thousands have already died because they were afraid to go to a doctor or hospital. Sporadic lock downs (and the absurdity of extreme mask wearing) will.keep the fear going and maybe even strengthen it.

Edited by Francis Albert

maroonedinoz
9 hours ago, jake said:

What per cent of over 70s infected died from it though?

And if the effect on the rest of the population is to increase deaths by for example cancer treatments etc the horrible reality is that we maybe have to choose .

To use a shite metaphor and I hope I dont offend .

If there was one seat left on a lifeboat who gets it?

I know shite but I hope you get where I'm coming from.

Where I live in Sydney the virus has been through the aged care homes, and is now spreading through schools.

So if you think it mainly just affects auld codgers like me, wait until your schools go back.

34 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So much speculation and so many fears. You missed the fear that it will mutate to a form that penetrates masks even more easily than.it already does.

I don't have that fear. If you do my sympathies. You do seem to obsess over this thing on this thread a great deal.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't have that fear. If you do my sympathies. You do seem to obsess over this thing on this thread a great deal.

This is nothing compared to the New Stand thread

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, maroonedinoz said:

Where I live in Sydney the virus has been through the aged care homes, and is now spreading through schools.

So if you think it mainly just affects auld codgers like me, wait until your schools go back.

Are the kids getting seriously ill with it now?

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Are the kids getting seriously ill with it now?

NO 

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

What a gloomy , negative , pessimistic post to wake up to this morning ! All of it is based on literally no evidence . I’m never sure why people post stuff like this but my guess it’s mainly about projecting their own anxiety about the current situation and placing it elsewhere .  I prefer loving for today And I literally mean today and never think forward . You can only control things in the present so no use getting anxious about things out with your control like the past or the future 

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Unemployment is up by 220,000 between May and June. This is biggest drop in over a decade. 

This big hit employment will be felt when Furlough ends in October. 

GDP figures out tomorrow. That will be interesting to look at the economies recovery. 

Has anything been said either by Tory or SNP as to what is going to happen come November and the furlough scheme ends?

Will be interested to see what Nicola does at that point. If we carry on with the super cautious approach it will likely mean very high levels of unemployment.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

most likely the govts will spend like **** to get out the economic mess.

This will be required across the globe.

Smart folk with a good idea or two and a solid work ethic could do very well in the coming years. There will be opportunities. The real shit will probably hit the fan a couple of more years down the line.

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The SNP has asked for it to be extended in general and Scotland in particular. Which U.K. govt sends end for all in Oct at the moment. That may be extended closer to time. 

So when furlough ends you return to your employer and hopefully have a job to go back to. If not.......

The extra cautious approach the Scottish Govt took was always likely to have a greater economic impact unless there was a second spike. Whether the balance will have been struck, time will tell. 

Furlough ending will be a big bump

hopefully countered by the fact the economy has opened back up and growing whilst figuring out how to operate in the new world. 

I think the scenarios of GDP returning to pre COVID levels by Oct 21 are optimistic. Though it’s shit hard predict so who knows. My concerns if when furlough ends that you further reduce demand in an economy where demand is non existent. The usual levers aren’t there and something else will need to be done, most likely the govts will spend like **** to get out the economic mess.

Yeah I suppose it makes sense for the SNP to request an extension to furlough. Less unemployment, more borrowing from Westminster, and when austerity/tax rises do hit, the SNP can blame it on Tories. 

Realistically tho, surely furlough has got to come to an end, the amount of money it is costing is truly eye watering. It feels like extending it, say to the end of the year, would just be kicking the can another couple of months down the line. 

Eventually a difficult decision will have to be made when furlough ends, either;

1. Speed up the process of re-opening society to keep the economy moving and protect jobs. Which will inevitably result in rising cases and potentially more deaths.

2. Continue on the cautious path of re-opening, which without the furlough scheme will likely mean high levels of unemployment. 

Will be interesting to see politically what direction Westminster and the SG go down. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

The SNP has asked for it to be extended in general and Scotland in particular. Which U.K. govt sends end for all in Oct at the moment. That may be extended closer to time. 

So when furlough ends you return to your employer and hopefully have a job to go back to. If not.......

The extra cautious approach the Scottish Govt took was always likely to have a greater economic impact unless there was a second spike. Whether the balance will have been struck, time will tell. 

Furlough ending will be a big bump

hopefully countered by the fact the economy has opened back up and growing whilst figuring out how to operate in the new world. 

I think the scenarios of GDP returning to pre COVID levels by Oct 21 are optimistic. Though it’s shit hard predict so who knows. My concerns if when furlough ends that you further reduce demand in an economy where demand is non existent. The usual levers aren’t there and something else will need to be done, most likely the govts will spend like **** to get out the economic mess.

At the briefing just now NS was saying that apprenticeships for young people  have went down dramatically in the last 4 months.  4/5 th.  The SG plowing £10 million to help this.  Good news.  

Ainsley Harriott

Supreme Leader Sturgeon Emperor of all the land and commander of the face paint half wits has decided the Celtic and Aberdeen games are off.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

What was he saying?

How he got the football clubs told and didn't miss them.

Sturgeon 'gave Scottish Football a yellow card' :vrface:

Totally loving the power

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

How he got the football clubs told and didn't miss them.

Sturgeon 'gave Scottish Football a yellow card' :vrface:

Totally loving the power

:pleasing: 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Supreme Leader Sturgeon Emperor of all the land and commander of the face paint half wits has decided the Celtic and Aberdeen games are off.

She is absolutely loving it.

I would even go as far as saying that she'll be gutted when this is all over

Ron Burgundy
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A lot of people will be.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

A lot of people will be.

Aye. The dentist fancies himself as a celebrity. He always seems to be on BBC breakfast

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye. The dentist fancies himself as a celebrity. He always seems to be on BBC breakfast

Might host 'Have I got news for you' Wait a minute....

13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye, she'll be gutted right enough. 

Ron Burgundy
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Every dog has it's day, it's his time to shine.

When it's over he'll be back in his box.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

Every dog has it's day, it's his time to shine.

When it's over he'll be back in his box.

Hope not, he's quite good. 

Ainsley Harriott
15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Absolutely she even gets her regular 30 minute slot on lunchtime TV. Shes the absolute definition of a narcissist 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, ri Alban said:

Hope not, he's quite good. 

Loads of folk are quite good at daeing whit they're telt.

It's not an especially difficult skill to master.

15 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Your correct none of these things will definitely 

happen but I can almost guarantee we will figure it out. 

No one is suggesting we just start shielding over 70s or whatever permanently. That’s just something, else, you made up. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s just a control measure you bring in as opposed to going straight down into full lock down of local lockdown. It’s really just a more nuanced method of lockdown precautions you would flex as appropriate. It’s does not prevent local or full lockdown if they were required. 

Its not the binary choice you seem determined to make it. 

We have track trace and all kind of monitoring running on this thing. Its not the disease it was at the start, it will not spread like that again. We monitor it and take all manners of precautions we didn’t take previously. 

COVID has been a ***** and forces us to make some tough choices. If it means the most vulnerable have to take extra precautions, at times, to ensure we keep economy and services like schools running. I think it’s a price that would be worth paying or at least exploring, together with all manners of other things that prevent us from trashing the economy.

In lose lose scenario you always select these damaging long term. Loses in short term become inconsequential or forgotten very quickly. Long term you have the pain prolonged. 

My mother also had to shield so I fully understand the pains. 

I wouldn’t personally force people to shield. I’d just make it advisory.. My view is they’re adults and the choice is theirs. However, it would amuse me to see you anger at pensioners meeting in the park 😂👍

I wish the same anger was shown on those idiots who cannot understand the rules re pubs/ restaurants

There should only be people in pubs etc who are seated and no standing areas allowed.

Those people not keeping a social distance should be forced to self isolate rather than fined, those people who insist on waiting outside right next to each other also and those people who meet up from more than 3 households and we know that is happening every day of the week somewhere but nothing is done.

The FM ignores this except when she can make political capital out of it..simply put she is a hypocrite

There will be a point where people will just come to the conclusion that it will be each to their own regarding self isolating if things go on as they seem to be doing

15 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I wish the same anger was shown on those idiots who cannot understand the rules re pubs/ restaurants

There should only be people in pubs etc who are seated and no standing areas allowed.

Those people not keeping a social distance should be forced to self isolate rather than fined, those people who insist on waiting outside right next to each other also and those people who meet up from more than 3 households and we know that is happening every day of the week somewhere but nothing is done.

The FM ignores this except when she can make political capital out of it..simply put she is a hypocrite

There will be a point where people will just come to the conclusion that it will be each to their own regarding self isolating if things go on as they seem to be doing

How does she ignore this? She reiterates the rules every day, locked down Aberdeen after their pubs caused a cluster****, and said that the photos of folk gathering outside made her want to greet. 

doctor jambo
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This will be required across the globe.

Smart folk with a good idea or two and a solid work ethic could do very well in the coming years. There will be opportunities. The real shit will probably hit the fan a couple of more years down the line.

Quantitative Easing here we go!

Due to the global nature of this EVERY currency is unsafe, so as long as every nation just prints cash then all will be fine.

I can see no alternatives.

Inflate away the debt? very unlikely

tax hikes - very unlikely as they have not returned to pre 2008 levels to raise again

Mega austerity? we havent finnished with the last one

So its photocopying cash time

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Quantitative Easing here we go!

Due to the global nature of this EVERY currency is unsafe, so as long as every nation just prints cash then all will be fine.

I can see no alternatives.

Inflate away the debt? very unlikely

tax hikes - very unlikely as they have not returned to pre 2008 levels to raise again

Mega austerity? we havent finnished with the last one

So its photocopying cash time

I'm clearly no economist as evidenced by my lack of a pot to piss in, so this might be a stupid question. Who underwrites this craze for plucking readies out of actual thin air? I mean, the amount of global financial can-kicking that's been going on since the last crash someone has to be on the make while others continue to dig their ever deepening holes. The whole financial system looks like a makey-upey house-of-cards sham whilst the only folk that actually produce tangible 'stuff' in any meaningful quantities are those countries with highly questionable working practices and human rights. Who are the goodies and baddies here?

Probably not the right thread.

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm clearly no economist as evidenced by my lack of a pot to piss in, so this might be a stupid question. Who underwrites this craze for plucking readies out of actual thin air? I mean, the amount of global financial can-kicking that's been going on since the last crash someone has to be on the make while others continue to dig their ever deepening holes. The whole financial system looks like a makey-upey house-of-cards sham whilst the only folk that actually produce tangible 'stuff' in any meaningful quantities are those countries with highly questionable working practices and human rights. Who are the goodies and baddies here?

Socialists are the goodies as they believe that cash can be extracted from the well off to the tune of hundreds of billions every few years when another crisis comes along on . Repeat ad nauseum.

Capitalists are the baddies as they try and increase the amount of cash in circulation by growth and output, or spending cuts.

The only people who do know are Wiley the rapper, and Nick Cannon.

Nucky Thompson

Russia has approved it's vaccine and it offers a lasting immunity to the virus according to Putin :whistling:

He has had his daughter inoculated

Ibrahim Tall
12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Russia has approved it's vaccine and it offers a lasting immunity to the virus according to Putin :whistling:

He has had his daughter inoculated

It’s amazing the progress in that can be made when there’s less consequence for ‘accidents’..

jack D and coke
30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Modern monetary theory explains a lot these things, it’s not like running a household budget. You can’t run out of your own currency basically. You can’t just keep inventing money obviously and it’s quite tough to take in at first but this thread on Twitter will explain it a little...

Trying to get it to display the thread but it’s just posting the one tweet. It’s a series of tweets explaining. 

Edited by jack D and coke

doctor jambo
21 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I quite like Wileys music is  he a bit of conspiracist?

The pair of them in the hot brown stuff at present for anti semitism- that the jews control the music industry and are keeping down black artists.

Presumably having watched Ali G In da House

Lone Striker

Pretty good explanation  there, m'Lord.  A shorter  summary  - Borrow today, spend today, leave it to future governments and BoE to work out how to pay for it.  

Nucky Thompson

Number of Covid-19 patients needing hospital treatment has plummeted by 96% since April.

ICU survival rate has risen from 48% to 61%.

On March 31 there were 3099 people taken into hospital with the disease

On August 5, the most recent day for which there was data 21 people were taken in to hospital

That was the lowest figure so far in the epidemic and represents just 3% of the 820 new cases that had been diagnosed each day, on average, over the last week

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Socialists are the goodies as they believe that cash can be extracted from the well off to the tune of hundreds of billions every few years when another crisis comes along on . Repeat ad nauseum.

Capitalists are the baddies as they try and increase the amount of cash in circulation by growth and output, or spending cuts.

The only people who do know are Wiley the rapper, and Nick Cannon.

Capitalists also borrow large sums of money which we have to pay back leaving us with crippling debts and austerity and privatise anything they can for individual profit, you seemed to have missed those bits. Oh and also allow their pals to get lucrative contacts which they cant honour with out any bidding process. 

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Capitalists also borrow large sums of money which we have to pay back leaving us with crippling debts and austerity and privatise anything they can for individual profit, you seemed to have missed those bits. Oh and also allow their pals to get lucrative contacts which they cant honour with out any bidding process. 

Dont ever really see our debts being paid, do you? And the debt is often to pensions company, so the government is essentially borrowing money to pay the pensions.

Unfortunately socialism has never worked, anywhere, ever.

UNless the goal is grinding your people into the dirt, in which case it succeeds beautifully

7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Dont ever really see our debts being paid, do you? And the debt is often to pensions company, so the government is essentially borrowing money to pay the pensions.

Unfortunately socialism has never worked, anywhere, ever.

UNless the goal is grinding your people into the dirt, in which case it succeeds beautifully

It depends on what you mean by 'worked' but (for very different outcomes) I'd say it has worked in China and Cuba.

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

What a gloomy , negative , pessimistic post to wake up to this morning ! All of it is based on literally no evidence . I’m never sure why people post stuff like this but my guess it’s mainly about projecting their own anxiety about the current situation and placing it elsewhere .  I prefer loving for today And I literally mean today and never think forward . You can only control things in the present so no use getting anxious about things out with your control like the past or the future 

Do you have any comprehension how absurd that is? What are you? Trump? Don't even talk about this unless you're pretending it's just going to "disappear, like a miracle" ?

Reality, miracles aren't real, the virus is, and it's going to be an ongoing situation for years. And stop all this projected anxiety shite, you're the one who is so anxious you can't even face the reality.

I prefer facing it, not saying don't talk about it unless you have some fantasy shite to say about it. Live in the moment? Don't even think about the potential situation going forward? You're that anxious and determined to paint a rosy picture?

You go hide in that fantasy bubble. The scientists wont be. Thankfully. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic