Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Vallance not holding back 

Sorry i should just stay away from twitter.

Edited by vegas-voss

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

So what happens at work, shops, transport etc  Do you just carry them about all day and dispose of them when you get home? Bearing in mind disposable masks last 4 hours and gloves should be changed every shop/bus/train you enter. 

If there's no suitable bins then yes, sticking them in a bag destined for a bin later in the day would be a responsible thing to do.

masks-infographic---final-(web---rgb).pn

Walter Bishop

Q about treatments and vaccines:

CSA: Remdesivir&Dexamethasone being used. New drugs coming along designed for this virus, rather than the above which were designed for other viruses. These may have bigger effect. In winter as many patients as possible needed for clinical trials

Q about R being misleading at low numbers.

CSA: early on was the right thing to measure, it's not the right thing to be using now.

CSA: it's probable we will see more waves at many points over the coming years. "I don't think schools are going to trigger a second wave" Schools are relatively lower risk than other things, we absolutely know there are risks to keeping schools shut. Reopening schools is priority, mental and physical health problems with keeping schools shut, and... children are at lower risk, and actually teachers are more at risk from other adults than from the children"

Q: is there a placebo effect from wearing a mask?

CSA: "it's a reminder, you can see from wearing a mask, it reminds you there are things you need to do, there are positive benefits to the messaging that might come with that sometimes."

CSA: [cloth masks] shouldn't be worn all day in indoor environments.

CSA: Transmission outside is low. "We also see from demonstrations that have taken place in the last couple of months that so far we haven't seen an uptick in cases as a result of that, so outside, the risk of transmission, with distancing is pretty low" 

Q about COVID spread in air:

CSA:"We said so in April. Three potential routes, aerosol, droplets, &surface contact. All 3 are things that need to be taken into account. What we don't know (&don't know for flu yet either) is what the relative importance of the 3 different routes are" "the one that we don't think is such a big area, and the WHO doesn't either, is very widespread airborne transmission of the type you can get with measles and so on, we think that's less likely to be an important factor"

Questions now on immunity:

CSA: the vast majority who get COVID get an antibody response, including neutralising antibodies, which would prevent the virus from causing an effect, it also appears that in some cases antibody levels seem to drop after about 3 months "Antibodies may not be long lasting, that does not mean that some form of immunity is not long lasting, so we've got other parts of the immune system, we may have memory cells on the B cell side of things, we may also have T cell responses, which are important, and we don't know"

Q in winter, symptoms could be COVID or flu, they need t be tested, 350K people a day may need tests. Do we have capacity?

CSA: at the moment, no. I believe a plan is being developed.

CSA: Major public health campaign needed this autumn.

Q - also need one for flu?

CSA: we flagged up a long time ago that this needed to be a big flu vaccine programme [autumn],

@DHSCgovuk understood.

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I have been in about 5 pubs since they came out of lock down in England. I have yet  to see one drunk person and I have been more socially distanced than I have been anywhere since lock down began. Admittedly I avoid Friday and Saturday night and weekends but then I usually do even in normal times. There is nothing inherently dangerous about pubs. The objections to pubs are I think basically puritan ... like the earlier fuss about  sunbathing when joggers and cyclists were free to pant around parks in packs spewing coronavirus droplets all over the place. 

Pubs have been found to be high risk in other countries and the way some people behaved on the first Saturday in England highlighted why.  The pubs that an old gentleman like you go to may well be good mannered and well behaved though. 😀

2 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

What a lot of nonsense 

Speaking from experience?

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

It’s just about Leicester

Ah ok didn’t see it what did he say ? 

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Ah ok didn’t see it what did he say ? 

Basically they are to remain in lock-down for another two weeks.

The seatbelt thing is a very lazy false equivalence. Am I daft, or does the impact of a vehicle collision pose a far greater risk to your safety than potential exposure to a virus so deadly you have to get tested to find out *if you even have it?

Edited by Frank
Typo

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

If there's no suitable bins then yes, sticking them in a bag destined for a bin later in the day would be a responsible thing to do.

masks-infographic---final-(web---rgb).pn

It’s amazing how many people don’t know how to wear and use a mask. This should be a government task to educate people via advertising all over the media. 
The number of people I see wearing them and not covering the nose beggars belief. Most people breath through their nose. The mask is there to filter air in and exhaled air out. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Basically they are to remain in lock-down for another two weeks.

cheers 

13 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

The link in that tweet doesn't work. Removed for being nonsense? 

There's no way the UK government would want to announce a death toll that is higher than is accurate. 

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

This is unreal if it turns out to be true! 

The sad thing is that, shocking as it appears, it's not totally unexpected. 

Walter Bishop
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There's no way the UK government would want to announce a death toll that is higher than is accurate. 

Works fine, just times out due to being busy. Tweet is from a Sky news correspondent, it`s being reported on Skynews also, so no, as much as you'd like it to be it`s not nonsense. 

If you test positive for covid-19 and recover but are hit by a bus and die 4 weeks later you are included in the covid death figures in England. 

Edited by Walter Bishop

1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

Works fine, just times out due to being busy. Tweet is from a Sky news correspondent, it`s being reported on Skynews also, so no, as much as you'd like it to be it`s not nonsense. 

If you test positive for covid-19 and recover but are hit by a bus and die 4 weeks later you are included in the covid death figures in England. 

Why would I want it to be nonsense? Its yet another display of the utter incompetence of England's handling of this pandemic if true. No skin off my nose. 

On 15/07/2020 at 07:00, Herbert said:

Business class is the way forward, I went business with finnair, best flight ever. They must turn the turbulence off up front and keep it for the cattle in the back.

Obviously new to business class. Your cattle analogy is frowned upon these days, they're now commonly classed as ballast. Please keep this in mind before you're relegated back to the herd...🐄 🐄🐄🐄

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Frank said:

The seatbelt thing is a very lazy false equivalence. Am I daft, or does the impact of a vehicle collision pose a far greater risk to your safety than potential exposure to a virus so deadly you have to get tested to find out *if you even have it?

Given the choice I would go for exposure to coronavirus over a vehicle collision even if wearing a seatbelt But yes it is a false equivalence.

And the deadliness of the virus has very little to do with the fact you have to get tested to know whether you have it. In fact kind of the reverse. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Why would I want it to be nonsense? Its yet another display of the utter incompetence of England's handling of this pandemic if true. No skin off my nose. 

Also points to why they have never published recovery figures, by counting this way there is no survivors! 

Edited by Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Big question now is Why? Is this to justify the lockdown and over exaggerating the severity of the virus in the beginning? Or is it to downplay the shambles of the care home handling scandal! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8529269/amp/Daily-death-toll-INFLATED-fewer-40-people-dying-day-UK.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Walter Bishop

33 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Given the choice I would go for exposure to coronavirus over a vehicle collision even if wearing a seatbelt But yes it is a false equivalence.

And the deadliness of the virus has very little to do with the fact you have to get tested to know whether you have it. In fact kind of the reverse. 

Fair doos, Francis - i'm sure you have detected I'm being facetious! All in the name of levity, however - a state of mind I feel is in short supply at the moment! Appreciate the reply, my friend - honest analysis, reasonable criticism and open-minded debate between peers is exactly what is called for in forums such as these. 🍻

Did that sound ****in patronising? Sorry if it did, just trying to express myself in good faith.

Edited by Frank
addendum

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Frank said:

Fair doos, Francis - i'm sure you have detected I'm being facetious! All in the name of levity, however - a state of mind I feel is in short supply at the moment! Appreciate the reply, my friend - honest analysis, reasonable criticism and open-minded debate between peers is exactly what is called for in forums such as these. 🍻

Did that sound ****in patronising? Sorry if it did, just trying to express myself in good faith.

I suspected after I posted that I had misread what you were getting at. So yes your reply sounded  patronising. But no less than I deserved!

Just now, Francis Albert said:

I suspected after I posted that I had misread what you were getting at. So yes your reply sounded  patronising. But no less than I deserved!

👊

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Pubs have been found to be high risk in other countries and the way some people behaved on the first Saturday in England highlighted why.  The pubs that an old gentleman like you go to may well be good mannered and well behaved though. 😀

I am a bit fussy about where and when I drink! I mainly come across drunks in the Gorgie Suite but on  the whole they are amiable drunks.

Edited by Francis Albert

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Because Twitter is well known for removing content that is inaccurate?

Why would the UK Government NOT announce a death toll that is higher than the actuality, especially given the spurious correlations being made on a daily basis? It absolutely suits them to inflate the statistics because they know they ****ed up on so many levels that they are grasping for justification data. Same bullshit here, the horse has bolted.

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

Big question now is Why? Is this to justify the lockdown and over exaggerating the severity of the virus in the beginning? Or is it to downplay the shambles of the care home handling scandal! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8529269/amp/Daily-death-toll-INFLATED-fewer-40-people-dying-day-UK.html?__twitter_impression=true

This

I find it bizarre that anti-vaxxers on this thread are so desperate to justify their viewpoint that they link to an article in the Daily Mail! :rofl:

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The SG have. 4000 is when the if, buts and maybes are added to the 2500 positive deaths. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I find it bizarre that anti-vaxxers on this thread are so desperate to justify their viewpoint that they link to an article in the Daily Mail! :rofl:

I'll take a vaccine, as soon as it's proven. I ain't putting any rushed job anywhere near me. I'll take my chances with covid-19, first. 

3 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Over 4000 recovered patients in Scotland. The FM states it at her PCs. 

Care homes were run by private owners, the deaths are down to them and their staff moving about from home to home. 

One more thing. Maybe the death toll in Care homes is over inflated. Old people die, it's life. Or does that not work for your rage? 

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The SG have. 4000 is when the if, buts and maybes are added to the 2500 positive deaths. 

Sturgeon always clearly announces both figures though. 

5 hours ago, JackLadd said:

What exactly did Scotland do differently to England on covid, anybody?

Stricter lockdown for longer, different rules in our easing phases, didn't adopt the 'stay alert' message, and advised we should wear masks way back in April. Do you not read the news? 

Edited by Ray Gin

Unknown user
4 hours ago, frankblack said:

I must admit I enjoyed the poster ranting and raving about lies being used to propagate an agenda of fear and negativity, then citing the Daily ****ing Mail :laugh2:

Walter Bishop
6 hours ago, frankblack said:

Anti-vaxxer,What even is that?

Walter Bishop
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Over 4000 recovered patients in Scotland. The FM states it at her PCs. 

What has the FM got to do with PHE? 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I must admit I enjoyed the poster ranting and raving about lies being used to propagate an agenda of fear and negativity, then citing the Daily ****ing Mail :laugh2:

:lol:

8 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

What has the FM got to do with PHE? 

Quoted the wrong post of yours. 

7 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Also points to why they have never published recovery figures, by counting this way there is no survivors! 

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Im the one propagating fear and agenda?? 😂😂 Quite the opposite. 

The link in the tweet wasnt working. Regardless of what newspaper it was, it had the same story. 🤷‍♂️👍

Walter Bishop
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Quoted the wrong post of yours. 

Still dont see what it's to do with Scotland. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Still dont see what it's to do with Scotland. 🤷‍♂️

Scottish teams Forum, why would it not be about Scotland, unless the 4136 positive tested Covid19 patients who recovered and walked out of hospital, doesn’t work for your fake virus theory. 👍

I'm sure you'd find England's success rate, if you looked. 

163000 cases about 40000 dead. 123000 not dead yet. 

Edited by ri Alban

Walter Bishop
Just now, ri Alban said:

Scottish teams Forum, why would it not be about Scotland, unless the 4136 positive tested Covid19 patients who recovered and walked out of hospital, doesn’t work for your fake virus theory. 👍

I'm sure you'd find England's success rate, if you looked. 

FFS, a Scottish teams forum, And? 😂

What fake virus theory? 🤔

You don't think its a Scandal that PHE are inflating figures to show anyone who tests positive for covid19 and then dies from a heart attack or car crash weeks later is included in covid 19 death stats?

Regardless of what you think, PHE do not publish recovery rates, this looks like the reason why. 

8 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

They used to publish recovered figures until they got bad then stopped. Just like they used to compare the UK to Spain and Italy until our figures got worse than them.

Governor Tarkin
31 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Anti-vaxxer,What even is that?

Vaccines are generally Bill Gates' microchips tbf. Folk are right to be worried.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'll take a vaccine, as soon as it's proven. I ain't putting any rushed job anywhere near me. I'll take my chances with covid-19, first. 

That is fair enough, mate.   I feel much the same.

Its those people that are anti-vaccine, anti-facemask etc because it "infringes on their civil liberties" that piss me off.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic