Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Met a woman this morning seeing a job. She was masked up, kept backing away from me and I wasn’t getting into her bubble at all. Touched everything from door handles to light switches with a wipe...then wiped her hands after that with another wipe...the amount of paranoid obsessive compulsive people after this is going to be just mental. Anxiety and depression will be the best biggest problems. 

What I don't get is people behaving like this when they've chosen to put themselves into a risky situation. I run on the canal towpaths as I always have done and I accept I'll have to pass some people within a closer than I'd like radius. Some of them act like your threatening them with a gun! I don't get it, if you're that worried, don't walk along a narrow, well used tow path.

Back when I was more worried about it, I switched to running on the roads so I could avoid people but then decided I was more likely to be hit by a car so went back to the tow paths.

Edited by Taffin

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vegas-voss
15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Met a woman this morning seeing a job. She was masked up, kept backing away from me and I wasn’t getting into her bubble at all. Touched everything from door handles to light switches with a wipe...then wiped her hands after that with another wipe...the amount of paranoid obsessive compulsive people after this is going to be just mental. Anxiety and depression will be the best biggest problems. 

She really shouldn't be getting work done if she is getting in a state like that.

vegas-voss
22 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Pretty obvious we can't go on like this indefinitely, and yes we're probably just going to have to get used to living/dying with it. Just like our ancestors had to with countless infectious diseases we can now control.

The current generation in particular say from the second half of the 20th century onwards have lived a magical existence unknown to any previous generations. We became used to thinking we had deadly infectious disease licked.

Hence the mass distress when nature simply resets back to normality and effectively says to us who do you think you're kidding. My own parents and grandparents lived in fear of many more infectious diseases than we ever have.

I suspect the only thing we can do in the short to medium term is develop effective regular testing maybe in schools, workplaces, etc and try to isolate it as much as possible as soon as it's detected.

We might also be looking at a future where people living into their 80's which is common now may not be so common. The high risk groups may be gradually whittled down as it circulates around.

The main worry now is the effects this has on long term health for those that have had it and those who do in the future.Dr Fauci has said today that its wrong to only look at this virus in death numbers as it is doing so many other things.Don't want to be doom and gloom cause im pretty much getting on with my life now after being well paranoid back in March so please don't take the post the wrong way as im far more positive about things now but there are long term concern to this virus.

See all the anti-maskers.  What's your stance if you're going in for an operation and the surgeon chats with you beforehand and says "hope you don't mind if me and my surgical team don't bother wearing my medical masks for your operation".  You all good with that?

Just a question....

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

She really shouldn't be getting work done if she is getting in a state like that.

Wasn’t the property she was living in just one she owns. 

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Gards said:

See all the anti-maskers.  What's your stance if you're going in for an operation and the surgeon chats with you beforehand and says "hope you don't mind if me and my surgical team don't bother wearing my medical masks for your operation".  You all good with that?

Just a question....

Well, as you'd more than likely be out for the count, then how do you really know that they do wear masks, they could also be in the nude and you wouldn't know feck all about it.

12 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

The main worry now is the effects this has on long term health for those that have had it and those who do in the future.Dr Fauci has said today that its wrong to only look at this virus in death numbers as it is doing so many other things.Don't want to be doom and gloom cause im pretty much getting on with my life now after being well paranoid back in March so please don't take the post the wrong way as im far more positive about things now but there are long term concern to this virus.

I have heard there's potentially going to be long term effects for those who have experienced it including possibly irreversible lung damage. It's been implied that there may be an extremely deleterious effect on these people when they next contract common seasonal flu.

Just one more thing we don't know yet.

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I said in reply to another poster, that Covid seems to have replaced the old sick & infirm with much younger sick & infirm.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well, as you'd more than likely be out for the count, then how do you really know that they do wear masks, they could also be in the nude and you wouldn't know feck all about it.

🙂 so if I go on the Tram and everyone's in the nude, I'm good for not wearing my mask?

Just having a bit of fun.

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, Gards said:

🙂 so if I go on the Tram and everyone's in the nude, I'm good for not wearing my mask?

Just having a bit of fun.

You can still wear a lone ranger style mask.  :laugh:

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Maybe he was Spider-man.

Spiderman doesn't run, he swings from webs attached to buildings and trees, couldn't have been him.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The death rate is nothing like flu. You seriously think the world would have shut down for something no different from flu?

why did the world get shut down? why is it opening up again?

Jambo-Jimbo
49 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Pretty obvious we can't go on like this indefinitely, and yes we're probably just going to have to get used to living/dying with it. Just like our ancestors had to with countless infectious diseases we can now control.

The current generation in particular say from the second half of the 20th century onwards have lived a magical existence unknown to any previous generations. We became used to thinking we had deadly infectious disease licked.

Hence the mass distress when nature simply resets back to normality and effectively says to us who do you think you're kidding. My own parents and grandparents lived in fear of many more infectious diseases than we ever have.

I suspect the only thing we can do in the short to medium term is develop effective regular testing maybe in schools, workplaces, etc and try to isolate it as much as possible as soon as it's detected.

We might also be looking at a future where people living into their 80's which is common now may not be so common. The high risk groups may be gradually whittled down as it circulates around.

Take TB for example, and the devastating effect it had on our ancestors, and we all have ancestors who were struck down by this disease, my youngest blood ancestor was 28 when TB took her, 20 fecking 8.  One of my Uncles in the 1960's had TB, collapsed lung and all, really ill he was.

Even my generation growing up in the '60's were still exposed to several diseases which could kill or leave you disabled, we all had the kid at school with the leg brace who'd had polio, which the WHO hope to eradicate in the coming few years, so yes you are correct the current generation have had a relatively free easy ride in terms of health. 

I have always been of the opinion that it was only a matter of time before mother nature reminded us, just who was boss around here.

12 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

why did the world get shut down? why is it opening up again?

I thought it was obvious to everyone why. The world closed down because we were facing a highly infectious killer virus we were entirely unprepared for that left unchecked would have overwhelmed all medical resources.

The virus had to be contained as much as possible while we prepared to deal with it. It's now opening up again with restrictions in place designed to continue containing it as much as possible while we work towards developing a vaccine.

I would be interested to know if you have any alternate ideas on why the world closed down since you seem to have missed why.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Take TB for example, and the devastating effect it had on our ancestors, and we all have ancestors who were struck down by this disease, my youngest blood ancestor was 28 when TB took her, 20 fecking 8.  One of my Uncles in the 1960's had TB, collapsed lung and all, really ill he was.

Even my generation growing up in the '60's were still exposed to several diseases which could kill or leave you disabled, we all had the kid at school with the leg brace who'd had polio, which the WHO hope to eradicate in the coming few years, so yes you are correct the current generation have had a relatively free easy ride in terms of health. 

I have always been of the opinion that it was only a matter of time before mother nature reminded us, just who was boss around here.

I grew up in the 60's, I can remember seeing people with walking disabilities due to polio. I also remember being taken to the doctor as a child and eating that sugar cube with the vaccine on it.

My mother got a bit of a telling off from the doctor when I was a baby. I was her first child and she was always calling him out for the slightest thing.

She grew up in an era when infant mortality was much higher than it is now. When even a sniffle could be the sign of something deadly coming.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I remember theses dIseases quite well.

Your last sentence is very pertinent.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

In general I listen to the most optimistic which in the US tends to be the CDC. But even they project infection to mortality rates over 10 times that of seasonal flu and many people think they're overly optimistic. Under pressure from the Trump administration.

But if I wanted the most pessimistic I could look further afield. Which one would you go for? And if you have any credible suggestions on who I should be listening to they would be welcomed.

Here's an article published just 5 days ago projecting that the covid-19 fatality rate may in reality be 50 to 100 times greater than seasonal flu. A quote from it.

I don't doubt for  moment that it is at least 10 times more fatal than flu. I have seen absolutely nothing from any source outside wackos like Trump to suggest otherwise.

How scientists know COVID-19 is way deadlier than the flu

Thanks for you comprehensive reply (which the quote function, fortunately for the length of the thread,  doesn't pick up in its entirety!)  It makes a convincing case for Covid 19 being "much more deadly"

than flu in the sense that it kills a much higher proportion (indeed much higher multiple)  of those who catch it. I am not entirely convinced, given the newness of Covid 19, that the number of cases of infections in that sum is consistently counted for the two viruses but leave that aside.

My concern is the use of headline phrases such as "much more deadly"  because the deadliness of the virus is not just a function of how many people who catch it die but also of over time how infectious it is. I have seen "highly infectious" used to describe Covid 19,  but  a recent Lancet article (3rd July) suggests that its infection rate or "infectionness" to date  (it is early days for Covid 19) as measured by the R factor is not much different from the 1918 flu pandemic or earlier SARS epidemics. And of course the rate of infection is not a constant. It depends on the environment the virus operates in.  Release as much of the virus as you like in empty parts the Sahara desert or Antarctica and it will not be infectious at all.

AS far as "deadliness" is concerned Covid 19 has a long way to go to catch the 1918 flu pandemic or even (in the UK) the 1968 flu epidemic which killed twice as many as Covid 19 has … so far.

(To answer your question to me I don't have any particular favoured sources, but a variety which leads me to mistrust anything that says " the science tells us" or  "scientists say").

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I thought it was obvious to everyone why. The world closed down because we were facing a highly infectious killer virus we were entirely unprepared for that left unchecked would have overwhelmed all medical resources.

The virus had to be contained as much as possible while we prepared to deal with it. It's now opening up again with restrictions in place designed to continue containing it as much as possible while we work towards developing a vaccine.

I would be interested to know if you have any alternate ideas on why the world closed down since you seem to have missed why.

It was also because we really didn't know just what we were dealing with here and lock-downs bought us time.

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

What do you work as there?

I sell drugs to underage kids in the station. Amongst other things. 

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

In the UK the lockdown was, as the slogan said. to "Protect the NHS and Save Lives" and was driven by the in the event unrealised fear that the Health Service would be overwhelmed. It is being relaxed in part because far from being overwhelmed the National Health Service has more spare capacity now that it has had for a long time.

(And "highly infectious killer virus" is one of those scary headline phrases best avoided IMO)

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have played at 6 funereal since the start of Coronavirus. 4 people I know and two were paid gigs. 

1 - young lassie, 27 developed a blood cut after pregnancy. 

2 - 34 year old guy died from serositis of the liver. 

3 - 46 year old guy- heart attack

4 - 70 odd year old - brain hemorrhage. 

The other two I couldn't tell you how they died but they were older people. This is the reason I have little fear of Covid 19 because, as morbid as it may sound there are a million and one ways to die. This just happens to dominate the media ATM so have no choice but to think about it. 

The reason CV19 is so serious is because those who get it bad end up in ICU, get put on a ventilator and are ultimately left to fight the virus with only their immune sytem. There are no proven treatments yet, though the positive spin is there are many being tested and we can't be far away from something reliable.

However for now, if there is another spike, and ICU starts to overflow capacity, and hospital services get severely reduced again, then you're right there'll be a million more ways to die.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It was also because we really didn't know just what we were dealing with here and lock-downs bought us time.

much closer to the answer than jfk’s whose answer obviously included some relevant reasons

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Could the other things include beIng a face mask enforcer?

11 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

You sell masks to underage kids as well?

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Could the other things include beIng a face mask enforcer?

No, I’m not a ****ing monster. 

Weakened Offender

I was in a doctors surgery today for a procedure that I wouldn't have had 6 weeks ago. 

Everyone had masks on. When I say everyone, there was two receptionists where there are usually 5 and no other patients, where there are usually loads. There were 6 seats in the waiting room. My doctor had PPE on the whole time and I wore a mask throughout. 

It was quite odd. But that's flu for you. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I grew up in the 60's, I can remember seeing people with walking disabilities due to polio. I also remember being taken to the doctor as a child and eating that sugar cube with the vaccine on it.

My mother got a bit of a telling off from the doctor when I was a baby. I was her first child and she was always calling him out for the slightest thing.

She grew up in an era when infant mortality was much higher than it is now. When even a sniffle could be the sign of something deadly coming.

Sugar cube I remember that as well, and I also remember why they gave you it on a sugar cube :laugh:

Oh, I was one of those sickly kids, just about everything which was doing the rounds JJ caught it, meningitis was the biggy though, very nearly no JJ, very ill toddler I was.  Physically I'm fine, although it did screw up one or two of the circuit boards, speech was the biggy, years of therapy that took, still some problems to this day.

Infant mortality, I've a direct ancestor who had 11 kids, only 3 made it into their teens and only two of them made it into their 20's and had a family themselves.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I had to attend hospital today for an appointment, it was quite strange experience, 

I wondered into the hospital building, which is deserted, no idea where I’m going. I eventually come across two nurses, sitting in a room next to each other (way less than 2m separation) chatting room each other no masks. 

They see me one picks up there mask up puts on and say can I help you. They then direct me to where I was going. I come across another nurse who says you look lost and asks if I’m am........ I say yes and hand her my letter. She comes across to me and gave me a few encouraging words and put her hand on my shoulder. 

I can’t lie I got the fright of my life, someone touching me outside of my wife or  kids. I kind of jump back and look slightly confused. The nurse tells me I don’t need to worry about social distancing as it’s fine she’s got a mask on. 🤷🏻‍♂️

She takes me to see the doctor at no point was she further than 2m from me.  The doctor under takes the procedure and at no point was I given a mask or even asked to wear one or put a covering on. Though thinking it through, what I was going for probably would mean I’m exempt,

Due to the hospital being so quiet the doctor had time to explain things in a massive amount of detail, so the service was much better. 

I have to say the medical profession did not seem all that strict on their adherence to face covering protocols or social distancing. That was very surprising to me.

I posted on the Face Mask thread on my visit to the Royal Infirmary surprised me as their was very few wearing masks.

My GP is only doing telephone and on line consultation. I have a hospital appointment at the end of the month to which I must wear a mask. 

Rodger Mellie
36 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I had to attend hospital today for an appointment, it was quite strange experience, 

I wondered into the hospital building, which is deserted, no idea where I’m going. I eventually come across two nurses, sitting in a room next to each other (way less than 2m separation) chatting room each other no masks. 

They see me one picks up there mask up puts on and say can I help you. They then direct me to where I was going. I come across another nurse who says you look lost and asks if I’m am........ I say yes and hand her my letter. She comes across to me and gave me a few encouraging words and put her hand on my shoulder. 

I can’t lie I got the fright of my life, someone touching me outside of my wife or  kids. I kind of jump back and look slightly confused. The nurse tells me I don’t need to worry about social distancing as it’s fine she’s got a mask on. 🤷🏻‍♂️

She takes me to see the doctor at no point was she further than 2m from me.  The doctor under takes the procedure and at no point was I given a mask or even asked to wear one or put a covering on. Though thinking it through, what I was going for probably would mean I’m exempt,

Due to the hospital being so quiet the doctor had time to explain things in a massive amount of detail, so the service was much better. 

I have to say the medical profession did not seem all that strict on their adherence to face covering protocols or social distancing. That was very surprising to me.

I work in a hospital with almost 13000 employees. It is near on impossible to strictly adhere to social distance rules. The hospital has introduced measures including 4 persons per elevator and 6 feet distance markers between tables in the cafeteria. However, it is not uncommon to see up to 6 or more employees sitting at 1 table whilst eating - there is no other alternative. It has been mandatory to wear masks at my work since April.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

In the UK the lockdown was, as the slogan said. to "Protect the NHS and Save Lives" and was driven by the in the event unrealised fear that the Health Service would be overwhelmed. It is being relaxed in part because far from being overwhelmed the National Health Service has more spare capacity now that it has had for a long time.

(And "highly infectious killer virus" is one of those scary headline phrases best avoided IMO)

It would have been overwhelmed quite quickly if the rapid upward curve we saw in April remained unchecked.

Jambo 4 Ever

Really no accuse to not wear  a face mask

even those with some medical conditions can surely wear visors!!

Edited by Natural Orders

33 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Trivia question:

Do you currently have a favourite thread?

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Funny enough I was in hospital today for an appointment.....quite the opposite experience to you, a SWAT team could not have got in past the COVID guards, very thorough and professional, mask on, hands cleaned, questions asked about “Have you been suffering or felt symptoms of.......etc”5 minutes later a card signed by them and given to me so that I could pass this onto my appointment team so they knew I had went through the COVID guards checks.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

“ the current generation have had a relatively easy ride in terms of health “ ?  What abou the 30 million plus who have died of Aids ? 

40 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

“ the current generation have had a relatively easy ride in terms of health “ ?  What abou the 30 million plus who have died of Aids ? 

That's nothing like infectious diseases which plagued previous generations. You can't catch it just walking around. Aids is easily avoided.

Smallpox is estimated to have killed up to 300 million people in the 20th century alone and around 500 million people in the last 100 years of its existence.

That's a real plague you could catch just walking around.

4 hours ago, Rodger Mellie said:

I work in a hospital with almost 13000 employees. It is near on impossible to strictly adhere to social distance rules. The hospital has introduced measures including 4 persons per elevator and 6 feet distance markers between tables in the cafeteria. However, it is not uncommon to see up to 6 or more employees sitting at 1 table whilst eating - there is no other alternative. It has been mandatory to wear masks at my work since April.

13000 employees? 😲

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, graygo said:

13000 employees? 😲

It must me quite a big hospital.

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

What's your favourite mask? 

been here before
40 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What's your favourite mask? 

I imagine its along the lines of...

rBVaR1s-2OOAcCKfAADMEPDIwIo295.jpg

Jambo-Jimbo
8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

As has been said Aids is easily avoidable, unlike airbourne infectious diseases that anyone of us can catch.

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

It would have been overwhelmed quite quickly if the rapid upward curve we saw in April remained unchecked.

I am not disputing that. It was certainly that belief which contributed to the decision to  lock down.  As I said "protecting the NHS and saving lives was the slogan." Not the other way round. Scenes in Italy where hospitals were overwhelmed were scary. But they have not been repeated elsewhere (in the richer countries at least)despite some delayed lock downs here for example and no or relatively less strict lock downs elsewhere in the world.

An early threat to hospitals was an over enthusiastic use of  ventilators until it became clear they were actually contributing to many deaths.

53 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As has been said Aids is easily avoidable, unlike airbourne infectious diseases that anyone of us can catch.

30 million deaths and its easily avoidable you say.

Samuel Camazzola
33 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

What’s yours mate?

Not got one yet. Needing inspiration ahead of a mandatory use. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, been here before said:

I imagine its along the lines of...

rBVaR1s-2OOAcCKfAADMEPDIwIo295.jpg

Safe and functional. Vision may be a bit distorted and it looks to be more suited to the autumn /winter range. I can't see it fitting in with the 'Market Street' vibe at Morrisons. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

30 million deaths and its easily avoidable you say.

If you were not gay and/or you confined sex to one partner and could be certain your partner did too, if you were not an intravenous drug user and could afford new and unshared needles after spending all your money and more on the drugs, if you did not need a blood transfusion, were not a sex worker etc …  but perhaps those lives don't matter!

Edited by Francis Albert

A few R R's must be red raw by now, seems several forum members enjoy the sensation that is N O, all on a piece of string mate, your persistence is admirable... :clap:

Twit, Jerk...aye ok! Being pot committed for so long, I can't wait for your all-in finale...♥️♣️♦️♠️.

So far...well played Sir :2thumbsup:

Edited by OBE

The Real Maroonblood
20 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Great news for cafe/ restaurant owners it should give their businesses a good shot in the arm. I'm sure the Nats will find something to whinge about though 

Great news.

Can’t wait for the tax hike to pay for it.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic