Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, graygo said:

John Swinney announced it this afternoon, providing things keep improving.

Blended learning (part time) is now a contingency plan.

Thanks, the mrs will be over the moon. 😂

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Yeah, it’s been Cummings all the time. When you were young did you believe the bogey man lived under your bed?

He still does, doesn't he?

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

While I commend your faith in the elected representatives, I’d rather not delegate my thinking to them. 

Double thank you...👍👍

16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Loads of people do, although you're not meant to use it as your primary residence.

It's open from 7th March to 7th January and most of the 'residents' go to Spain for the 2 months that it's closed

The uk equivalent of trailer park trash?

On 18/06/2020 at 13:33, ri Alban said:

Yes, from Monday or a week from Monday. Schools will open as usual on the 11th of August, but blended as a contingency plan. 

Accidents, these accidents. 

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

Downing Street announced this afternoon that tonight's 92nd briefing, chaired by the Prime Minister, will be the last regular appearance.

In future they will only be held when 'significant announcements' are to be made. 

Mr Johnson launched the daily briefings in early March when the pandemic began to take hold. 

It has allowed ministers and scientists to brief reporters and the public on developments.

But they have left ministers blinking in the headlights having to account for serious blunders.

Their disappearance may fuel critics who say that ministers are avoiding scrutiny as the UK heads cautiously out of lockdown. 

Read into this announcement what you will. 

Virus is over lol. Nothing to see here. Move along now.

highlandjambo3
On 22/06/2020 at 14:21, Shanks said:

You may have a reasonable excuse from wearing a face covering if:

You are a child under the age of five.

You have a health condition where a face covering would be inappropriate because it would cause difficulty, pain or severe distress or anxiety or because you cannot apply a covering and wear it in the proper manner safely and consistently. If this is you, we recommend you download the Thistle Assistance app to communicate your exemption with our Ticket Inspectors.

You have a reasonable need to eat or drink.

You need to take medication.

You need to communicate with someone else who relies on lip reading.

A relevant person, such as a police officer, asks you to remove your face covering.

You missed one:

You have no ears 😀

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

SAGE have not sanctioned the reopening or 1m SD. 

1 hour ago, graygo said:

SAGE were only ever any use when they advised what Dominic Cummings wanted them to advise, somewhere to park the blame when it goes tits up.

This is now on Boris's head.

I listened to an interview with a member of the SAGE committee this morning. It would appear that they are being very cautious and the Government is being a bit more cavalier with the re-opening. He was saying that they fully expect 'outbreaks' over the coming months.

I'm still comfortable with the roadmap of the Scottish Government. I think the cautious approach could serve us well in the next few months.

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yasssss seems like Sturgeon bucking to the pressure. The numbers don't lie and she is right to back off. 

Cheesing.

No pressure, just pricise calculated timing. You're correct, the numbers are looking very good under her watch.

I'm predicting schools won't be open Full Time in August.

Happy to be proved wrong as it will make no difference to me teaching my whole class or blended learning.

I just think it won't happen on 11th August.

11 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Happy to be proved wrong as it will make no difference to me teaching my whole class or blended learning.

Disagree. I think the pressure to get them back to normal to enable folk to get back to work must be huge. Folk have planned their lives around schools so without them it is almost impossible for folk to function.

They will open full time.

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Disagree. I think the pressure to get them back to normal to enable folk to get back to work must be huge. Folk have planned their lives around schools so without them it is almost impossible for folk to function.

The pressure for normality will be weighted against active cases. If things start to flare up again then it'll be back to doing online learning again. The teachers and other staff are at risk too, so if they felt they were being asked to work in dangerous circumstances as cases were spiking quickly again then they'd kick up fuss.

SG are making decisions based on active cases, so regardless of the pressure for normality if things start to spike badly then they'll have to start reverting to earlier phases again and schools will close or teaching will be staggered.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Too soon to open the pubs in Scotland.

Agreed. There's seem to a manic energy in the last few days about lockdown and people wanting things to move yesterday...We have done well to take our time with lockdown so a bit worried about the speed of things in the last few days and the pressure being piled on NS and the SG.  I welcome the easing of it all but just a  feeling it seems to be accelerating ?    . Its basically gonna be a gamble , simple as that , suck it and see how things go once things are loosened.  

Edited by JamesM48
added words

44 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I agree, definitely won't happen on the 11th at our local primary school.

Spoiler

They're having an in-service day so it'll be the glorious 12th. 😁

35 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

At least one of us gets to start a "I told you so" thread in just over six weeks.

52 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Is that because of the reason graygo gave ?

If not what's your reason?

All roads lead to Gorgie

We will see where we are come August. I expect Scotland to largely open with parts of England back in full lock down. The slow and sensible approach will have the longest term benefits even if it is extremely hard on businesses right now. Too quick and there we are in full lock down again. That would end the hospitality sector and most retail as well.

Surely WM can pass temporary power of the Borders to SG for 6 month. Just in case we need to stop entry here if need be. 

And that includes internal. And that would be right for England as well, if we are fecked again. 

3 hours ago, graygo said:

John Swinney announced it this afternoon, providing things keep improving.

Blended learning (part time) is now a contingency plan.

Thank ****. One less thing to worry about, my daughter starts school in august . 

51 minutes ago, jake said:

Is that because of the reason graygo gave ?

If not what's your reason?

I just feel the relaxing of the phases will show a spike in areas.....of different sizes in different parts of Scotland. When the pubs, hotels, barbers etc open up i think we'll see an expected jump up that will mean the blended learning will be in place at the start of August. 

Its been a very sudden change of direction from the government and yeah you do have to trust the folk in charge are taking the scientific advice above the pressure from businesses. At the moment the stats don't point to it being safe in 6 weeks imo but I'm more than happy for it to prove me wrong over the coming days. Getting back to normality is much desired on my part.

As i say it makes little difference me as I teach kids with ASN so social distancing is impossible. Challenging behaviour and personal care mean we are always close and in contact with the children. PPE doesn't really help as a lot of the kids will simply tear it off.

Nucky Thompson
48 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

We will see where we are come August. I expect Scotland to largely open with parts of England back in full lockdown

I can't see the Tories putting England on full lockdown again. Partial local lockdowns maybe

As for Scotland, we'll still have loads of restrictions until a vaccine or more treatments are found

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You missed one:

You have no ears 😀

My mask won’t stay on :( so I have to hair clip the elastic from it into my hair

And don’t forget the hare and the tortoise. 
Maybe slow and steady is the right way out. Just look at what is happening in the US

47 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I just feel the relaxing of the phases will show a spike in areas.....of different sizes in different parts of Scotland. When the pubs, hotels, barbers etc open up i think we'll see an expected jump up that will mean the blended learning will be in place at the start of August. 

Its been a very sudden change of direction from the government and yeah you do have to trust the folk in charge are taking the scientific advice above the pressure from businesses. At the moment the stats don't point to it being safe in 6 weeks imo but I'm more than happy for it to prove me wrong over the coming days. Getting back to normality is much desired on my part.

As i say it makes little difference me as I teach kids with ASN so social distancing is impossible. Challenging behaviour and personal care mean we are always close and in contact with the children. PPE doesn't really help as a lot of the kids will simply tear it off.

Ok I see.

I posted a link earlier in the thread about an open letter from health professionals regarding children and how they had become the collateral damage of covid.

Have you still been working ?

If you haven't that's a big miss for your pupils.

19 minutes ago, jake said:

Ok I see.

I posted a link earlier in the thread about an open letter from health professionals regarding children and how they had become the collateral damage of covid.

Have you still been working ?

If you haven't that's a big miss for your 

I was supporting at risk kids during the lockdown on a pt basis......and then I broke my leg. 

My summer started 4 weeks ago....

:sob:

Give people an inch and they'll take a mile. Zero chance of anyone paying any attention to social distancing in pubs.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Give people an inch and they'll take a mile. Zero chance of anyone paying any attention to social distancing in pubs.

Speak for yourself as myself and friends will pay attention to social distancing.

Hope I haven’t pished on your corn flakes.

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Speak for yourself as myself and friends will pay attention to social distancing.

We need more pishing on Ray's cornflakes imo. 

40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

People like that are already not paying attention. Give the rest of us some credit. Moan all you want about easing but some people are capable of more freedom and still follow guidelines. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

People like that are already not paying attention. Give the rest of us some credit. Moan all you want about easing but some people are capable of more freedom and still follow guidelines. 

:spoton:

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Have you read what it is to be like. Queuing systems like supermarkets outside , social distancing markers everywhere.Perspex screens at the bar with a queuing systems there as well.Servers in ppe masks , gloves and visor.It hardly sounds an inviting place to be 😂

39 minutes ago, Dazo said:

40 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Hope you are right and hopefully the bams are dealt with if there is any quickly.

Novak Djokovic's "we don't care about the fake pandemic, we're having a tennis tournament" carnival show hasn't gone well, has it?

Some of the players who showed up (including Djokovic himself) have caught it.

Some of their training staff have caught it.

The final was cancelled just an hour or so before it was due to be played.

The players have all scattered, taking the virus home with them.

Good job, you anti-vax twat

:fonzie:

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

No danger. The sudden about turn on schooling shows she has as much an eye on the next election as the health stats. 

I'm pretty sure Nicola Sturgeon isn't too worried about the next election.

Brighton Jambo

What I would say is every time the UK government has eased lockdown measures people have proclaimed with absolute certainty that there will be an increase in cases and deaths:

-when beaches and beauty spots were packed

- when people were back to work and public transport was going to be heaving

- when all shops opened and bigger groups could meet etc

None of these predictions have come true and all the numbers keep going in the right direction.

i accept that alcohol may play a part in impacting social distancing but it’s not as if pubs are opening as if none of this ever happened so I am hopeful that once again we don’t see a big jump in numbers in a England and we can follow suit a couple of weeks later.  

10 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I thought the 2m was quite good for keeping people at 1m.  So I think those aren't real cocopops Ray gave you. :cheese:

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

No danger. The sudden about turn on schooling shows she has as much an eye on the next election as the health stats. 

As I've mentioned before, nothing is etched in stone. This novel virus is now being successfully countered by flexible leadership in many Countries.

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I thought the 2m was quite good for keeping people at 1m.  So I think those aren't real cocopops Ray gave you. :cheese:

:lol:

Not looked much into it but where was Djokovic where a party like that was legal (if of course it was legal)?

Bizarre behaviour regardless... I'd have said he should have used his head but a lot of sport stars are a bit thick.

9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Not looked much into it but where was Djokovic where a party like that was legal (if of course it was legal)?

Bizarre behaviour regardless... I'd have said he should have used his head but a lot of sport stars are a bit thick.

Tbf he'll probably be fine after his week of self-isolation so not sure it's that bizarre. I'd go to a party and play basketball and tennis just now if it was allowed.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tbf he'll probably be fine after his week of self-isolation so not sure it's that bizarre. I'd go to a party and play basketball and tennis just now if it was allowed.

Will everyone that ends up catching it from his party be ok though? Just seems a mental time to be dancing (badly at that) in a small building

New dates on easing restrictions 

Still cautious and could change

3 July - travel more than 5 miles; self catering reopens 

6 July - outdoor hospitality 

9 July - Phase 3 easing starts 

10 July - meet more households outdoors etc

13 July - organised sports for children; indoor shopping centres reopen

15 July -- all holiday accommodation; tourist attractions; pubs, restaurants indoors (subject to restrictions), hairdressers/ barbers

As before hopes Phase 4 starts August 

Edited by Mikey1874

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

it was Croatia which didn’t have any social distance requirements at the time. It was all perfectly legal.

Fair enough. You'd still think people would think before acting though and I've heard a few players are pretty pissed off at him.

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, Cade said:

Novak Djokovic's "we don't care about the fake pandemic, we're having a tennis tournament" carnival show hasn't gone well, has it?

Some of the players who showed up (including Djokovic himself) have caught it.

Some of their training staff have caught it.

The final was cancelled just an hour or so before it was due to be played.

The players have all scattered, taking the virus home with them.

Good job, you anti-vax twat

:fonzie:

I’ve never liked him for some reason he seems a cocky smarmy git .what An arse he has made of himself . 

17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Will everyone that ends up catching it from his party be ok though? Just seems a mental time to be dancing (badly at that) in a small building

Not sure, I guess that's the risk you take attending a party like that. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic