Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Just read that the UK had more deaths from Covid-19 yesterday than the rest of the EU combined. Ridiculous really for an island country.

We really got it wrong at the beginning...  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nicholas Brody
48 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Now down to single figures in deaths in Scotland ( 9 ) hopefully this continues 

That's actually really good news. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be at 0. Sadly I think we'll see a slight rise again before it falls completely. Nothing drastic but potentially hover around the 10-20 range. Although I'm hoping I'm wrong! Only 49 new infections as well. Fingers well and truly crossed!

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

All fair points and I'm not going to argue against them. I'd still preferred to have lived through this in Sweden though, which really was my only point. I'd be interested to know more why those denouncing Sweden's approach wouldn't have preferred to have been living through that, I find it hard to understand.

The only part I would query is the part in bold. If keeping people alive in the short term results in more dying in the long term then I think you can argue against it. I'm not suggesting that will definitely be the case here but I do think it's a possibility that the knock on effects will devastating for many and result in more deaths. It's a terrible situation and I don't believe there's a right or wrong approach that's as black and white as many are making out on this thread, at least not at this juncture. We may never really know but we'll be better placed to tell in the years to follow.

I don't denounce the Swedish approach for Sweden, although they have admitted it wasn't perfect, I just don't think it would have worked for the UK. Perhaps if the UK had instigated strict social distancing earlier the outcome could have been different. I agree it would have been a better experience than lockdown.

As you say the long term effects remain to be seen, but my take is, save as many lives as possible in the short term and then mitigate against the long term effects later.

As I posted earlier, Sweden are still expecting a large economic hit despite not going into lockdown.

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Fecking weirdos the lot of them.It is mental the UK keep voting for these toffs.

It’s not the UK though is it? Scotland hasn’t voted for a Tory government since 1955.

Governor Tarkin
33 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'd still preferred to have lived through this in Sweden though, which really was my only point.

Me too.

tjej.jpg

cd7e2fe2b66a73e393c4d32002d0f8d2.jpg

Keegan_3293739b.jpg

unnamed.png

Nucky Thompson
32 minutes ago, graygo said:

Just read that the UK had more deaths from Covid-19 yesterday than the rest of the EU combined. Ridiculous really for an island country.

Spain are getting slated for the new way they are reporting deaths.

It seems a few EU countries are hiding the true figures

7 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

We are past our two week curve delay and our daily deaths were more than the remaining EU countries combined. 

35 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not sure if its covered but that statistic is being questioned.

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, graygo said:

21 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

That's actually really good news. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be at 0. Sadly I think we'll see a slight rise again before it falls completely. Nothing drastic but potentially hover around the 10-20 range. Although I'm hoping I'm wrong! Only 49 new infections as well. Fingers well and truly crossed!

We are now doing better than the rest of the UK, no point scoring as that would be crass when talking about life and death, but why is that? The easing of lockdown?

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not sure if its covered but that statistic is being questioned.

Fair enough, to be honest I'd rather look at our figures in isolation anyway. 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Because they want the tourists to come in time for summer, profits over people.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

We are now doing better than the rest of the UK, no point scoring as that would be crass when talking about life and death, but why is that? The easing of lockdown?

Good to see the figures in England dropping as well, 115 yesterday. Still too high but going down.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Fair enough, to be honest I'd rather look at our figures in isolation anyway. 

There might still be too many cases to be massively easing lockdown.

But trends are going the right way. 

vegas-voss
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not the UK though is it? Scotland hasn’t voted for a Tory government since 1955.

I know but its the UK government.Still folk here that vote for them though in fact there are some on this very thread.

vegas-voss
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Like the UK then

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There might still be too many cases to be massively easing lockdown.

But trends are going the right way. 

I agree.

I still think they went early to deflect from the Cummings story.

vegas-voss
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Good to see the figures in England dropping as well, 115 yesterday. Still too high but going down.

Its very encouraging that everything is falling.Think the good news is starting to get lost in political stuff now.

28 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

The decreasing trend in infections in Scotland has actually stalled a wee bit at the moment. Hopefully we'll kick on though.

1324812388_Screenshotat2020-06-0414-44-08.png.83389c0ea86b0573468620ee19632344.png

35 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

If they can keep it at 3 or 4 a day, that gives some hope of venturing out for the really stressed oaps and I'll trapped in the hooses...

7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Its very encouraging that everything is falling.Think the good news is starting to get lost in political stuff now.

Yip.....  Would like too see double figures for all your before August

1 minute ago, hueyview said:

If they can keep it at 3 or 4 a day, that gives some hope of venturing out for the really stressed oaps and I'll trapped in the hooses...

It may be a while before it gets that low across the whole of Scotland. However, we also get daily new infection statistics for each local council area - see the Detailed Breakdown by Council Region section in https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/ (updated at 3pm each day). I personally am going to wait until my local council area is registering virtually no new infections for a week or so before venturing out too far.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It may be a while before it gets that low across the whole of Scotland. However, we also get daily new infection statistics for each local council area - see the Detailed Breakdown by Council Region section in https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/ (updated at 3pm each day). I personally am going to wait until my local council area is registering virtually no new infections for a week or so before venturing out too far.

It was mentioned again today about certain areas having lockdown lifted quicker than others here, and Stirgeon has always backed this. It might’ve been a better idea in England as the North has higher rates than London for instance. Again the UK government knocked it back. 

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

My works closed until late July, so at home... Can get out a couple of times a week but have two neighbours housebound since end of Feb....ones in a bad state...he's missing Hibs at home...   I think he's a lost cause...   

Watching the marchers over the last few days....   I can see it spreading in the US and downsouth

176 deaths recorded. 
Scotland going in the right direction too which is very good news.

Next easing of lockdown 15th June(?) lets hope the death rate continues downward despite the many protest going on just now. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

There is no significant difference in death ratesbetween Scotlland and the rest of the UK per head of population to justify point scoring or speculation on the effect of lockdown. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

I don't denounce the Swedish approach for Sweden, although they have admitted it wasn't perfect, I just don't think it would have worked for the UK. Perhaps if the UK had instigated strict social distancing earlier the outcome could have been different. I agree it would have been a better experience than lockdown.

As you say the long term effects remain to be seen, but my take is, save as many lives as possible in the short term and then mitigate against the long term effects later.

As I posted earlier, Sweden are still expecting a large economic hit despite not going into lockdown.

Large economic hit is a relative term. It is too early to judge but initial indications and common sense suggest that Sweden oconomically will be hit a lot less than most... but time will tell.

And good for the Swedes to accept they could have done things better... an example almost everywhere could follow.

Edited by Francis Albert

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Face masks compulsory on public transport from the 15th June. 

In England, but we will follow suit. Hopefully make it compulsory for Supermarkets too

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Face masks compulsory on public transport from the 15th June. 

I wonder if they’ll introduce that in Scotland.

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

In England, but we will follow suit. Hopefully make it compulsory for Supermarkets too

I always ware a mask and gloves when (we) go shopping. Have done right from the start. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

I wonder if they’ll introduce that in Scotland.

I hope so. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I hope so. 

Used the bus for the first time yesterday since lockdown.

The other half and I plus one more wore masks but the others roughly 12 didn’t.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I always ware a mask and gloves when (we) go shopping. Have done right from the start. 

I always wear a mask in a supermarket, not for my benefit but it's good etiquette.

I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time as there are only about half a dozen people doing it

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I always wear a mask in a supermarket, not for my benefit but it's good etiquette.

I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time as there are only about half a dozen people doing it

Felt the same way on the bus.

Loads of people don’t have masks. Are they going to hand them out before you get on a bus or a train? 

I now carry a kit with me every time I leave the house. 
2 x face masks 2 x surgical gloves alcohol gel. 
if I’m out in the open and away from people and able to maintain the 2 metres then I don’t put the kit on. Otherwise it is on. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, theshed said:

Loads of people don’t have masks. Are they going to hand them out before you get on a bus or a train? 

You’re allowed to purchase them.

😀

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Used the bus for the first time yesterday since lockdown.

The other half and I plus one more wore masks but the others roughly 12 didn’t.

I was the same, felt daft with the mask

and gloves on, bit hot and my specs steamed up 😃. I think the drivers should be wearing masks too.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, theshed said:

It's face coverings not the PPE ones that care workers wear.

They are easy to buy online or even make yourself

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, kila said:

If they are making masks compulsory why aren't supermarkets selling them yet?

They are mate I bought two different kinds  from Scotmid in Gorgie.

802E2290-C443-4BBA-8569-1B43D5D71472.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Large economic hit is a relative term. It is too early to judge but initial indications and common sense suggest that Sweden oconomically will be hit a lot less than most... but time will tell.

And good for the Swedes to accept they could have done things better... an example almost everywhere could follow.

Apart from Trump what other countries or leaders haven't accepted that they could have done things better with the benefit of hindsight which is what Sweden have done?

Train stations will have supplies of masks available.  

You can buy fabric ones for a few quid from thousands of places, and being fabric they're washable and reusable.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic