Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

AlimOzturk

ACH well seems I won't be back on public transport then. What a world this is turning into eh. Forcing folk to wear masks when before it was laughed and mocked at. Even at the start of this thread the folk praising this openly mocked ot. 

Mind when the government told folk they shouldn't be buying or wearing masks and they were ineffective and prevented vital NHS staff from obtaining them?

I'll not be wearing a mask. I won't even attempt to get on public transport. **** it. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I now carry a kit with me every time I leave the house. 
2 x face masks 2 x surgical gloves alcohol gel. 
if I’m out in the open and away from people and able to maintain the 2 metres then I don’t put the kit on. Otherwise it is on. 

We’re the same here, Dannie.

Gloves and masks on when entering any shop.

Masks are now compulsory in every train station and when on the train.  Compulsory too on buses (we don’t use buses, only trains).

Every shop (and I mean every) spray your hands with alcohol gel on entering.

Masks are available in all supermarkets at either 2.90€ for five or 29.50€ for fifty.  All disposable, with use life of 4 hours each.

In Italy you can buy washable masks for about 3.99€ each.  Maximum use of twenty times.

Our town has so far provided each resident with three washable masks each.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

ACH well seems I won't be back on public transport then. What a world this is turning into eh. Forcing folk to wear masks when before it was laughed and mocked at. Even at the start of this thread the folk praising this openly mocked ot. 

Mind when the government told folk they shouldn't be buying or wearing masks and they were ineffective and prevented vital NHS staff from obtaining them?

I'll not be wearing a mask. I won't even attempt to get on public transport. **** it. 

What will you do if they then make it compulsory to wear them in shops?

AlimOzturk
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

What will you do if they then make it compulsory to wear them in shops?

Hardly go into shops do most of my shopping online 

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You wouldn’t wear a mask to go into a shop even?  What if it becomes compulsory?  It is here.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

We’re the same here, Dannie.

Gloves and masks on when entering any shop.

Masks are now compulsory in every train station and when on the train.  Compulsory too on buses (we don’t use buses, only trains).

Every shop (and I mean every) spray your hands with alcohol gel on entering.

Masks are available in all supermarkets at either 2.90€ for five or 29.50€ for fifty.  All disposable, with use life of 4 hours each.

In Italy you can buy washable masks for about 3.99€ each.  Maximum use of twenty times.

Our town has so far provided each resident with three washable masks each.

I was walking down Morningside Rd yesterday afternoon and there’s a shop just up from the old PO that have made face masks out of various materials. They are giving them away free or for a donation.  

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Hardly go into shops do most of my shopping online 

Seems a better bet. Safer and you don't need to wear a mask. 

Interesting if it became compulsory now when the risk of getting it has considerably diminished but it has been fine to not wear one for the last two months when shopping. Where's the logic in that?

Edited by Taffin

Just now, Dannie Boy said:

I was walking down Morningside Rd yesterday afternoon and there’s a shop just up from the old PO that have made face masks out of various materials. They are giving them away free or for a donation.  

That’s really good.

I would definitely throw in a couple of quid.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Seems a better bet. Safer and you don't need to wear a mask. 

Tell that to Dick Turpin!

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

You wouldn’t wear a mask to go into a shop even?  What if it becomes compulsory?  It is here.

No I won't. I have already made it clear I suffer from claustrophobia. The thought of wearing a mask gives me the utter fear. 

I also think forcing folk to wear facemasks is abhorrent. Complete and utter disregard for folks freedom of choice. If this is a permanent rather than temporary then I give up. Might as well not go outside anymore. 

Folk are frightened of their own shadow these days. 

Surgical gloves do my head in.

Sponges for germs and spreading them. Seen folk touching their face with them and using their phone! Just wash your hands regularly!

1 minute ago, kila said:

Sponges for germs and spreading them. Seen folk touching their face with them and using their phone! Just wash your hands regularly!

I’ve seen someone eating a bag of crisps whilst wearing his latex gloves!  :vrface:

Should they not have been making people wear masks before the 15th June. I’m a bit out the loop but I’m struggling with the idea that it’s helpful now but not deemed important enough at the peak of the pandemic. 

I don’t know how Boris and Nicola sleep at night to be honest. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

No I won't. I have already made it clear I suffer from claustrophobia. The thought of wearing a mask gives me the utter fear. 

I also think forcing folk to wear facemasks is abhorrent. Complete and utter disregard for folks freedom of choice. If this is a permanent rather than temporary then I give up. Might as well not go outside anymore. 

What about a scarf? The alternative would be to try ensure everyone breaths as gently as possible when in close proximity (buses, shops). Last thing we need is a heavy mouth breather to be puffing their air into a cloud for miles around.

Though I am sceptical about mask effectiveness having said the above. Really shit ones won't make any difference or make it worse as jets will shoot out the side. A nice covid moisture building up ready to be puffed out when you next take a deep breath.

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

They said during the briefing that some would be exempt from wearing them, pretty sure claustrophobia would be included in that.

Nucky Thompson

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Should they not have been making people wear masks before the 15th June. I’m a bit out the loop but I’m struggling with the idea that it’s helpful now but not deemed important enough at the peak of the pandemic. 

I don’t know how Boris and Nicola sleep at night to be honest. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

The science is evolving all the time but the opinion on wearing face masks is mixed. 

I think most of the experts now agree that although it doesn't stop you getting it, it can stop people spreading it by up to 75%.

But that's only if everyone wears them

Edited by Nucky Thompson

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, kila said:

What about a scarf? The alternative would be to try ensure everyone breaths as gently as possible when in close proximity (buses, shops). Last thing we need is a heavy mouth breather to be puffing their air into a cloud for miles around.

Though I am sceptical about mask effectiveness having said the above. Really shit ones won't make any difference or make it worse as jets will shoot out the side. A nice covid moisture building up ready to be puffed out when you next take a deep breath.

Seen someone the other day there wearing a mask at a bus stop. He was smoking a vape smoking machine which blew out huge swathes of smoke. He was taking his mask of and on whilst puffing out these huge smokes clouds which folk had to walk through. 

Masks are a waste of time. Didn't stop the pandemic starting in China. 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Large economic hit is a relative term. It is too early to judge but initial indications and common sense suggest that Sweden oconomically will be hit a lot less than most... but time will tell.

And good for the Swedes to accept they could have done things better... an example almost everywhere could follow.

Sweden is not the UK, despite having similar start times and progressions of infections the R rate in Sweden never reached the same heights. I'm sure you remember @redjambo correcting erroneous claims you made about this previously. So why compare the UK to Sweden? Why not compare them to New Zealand or Australia who also went for lockdowns?

You keep saying it's too early to tell, but the politicians don't have the luxury of sitting around and watching how things unfold, decisions have to be taken. I'm quite happy to say I would have gone for lockdown at a similar time to the rest of Europe, and my opinion is that would have saved lives at this point. I don't have a crystal ball, so it may not prove to be a good policy in the long run, but I'd live with it.

So if you were UK prime minister at the beginning of April, what policies would you have implemented?

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I saw a junkie looking type the other day standing outside a chemist with his facemask pulled down under his chin smoking a fag 

The science is evolving all the time but the opinion on wearing face masks is mixed. 

I think most of the experts now agree that although it doesn't stop you getting it, it can stop people spreading it by up to 75%.

But that's only if everyone wears them

I get the science is changing and that’s understandable give how new the virus is. There’s been conflicting opinions on them since I first heard of coronavirus but if there’s a chance they could have prevented people passing it on then they should have been at least encouraged from day 1. I noticed Asian countries wearing them since the beginning. 

AlimOzturk

Have no problem with folk CHOOSING to wear them. However I am getting rather frightened at how much folk are willing to allow their basic freedoms to be completely trampled over. The fear that has been spread has done wonders. 

People can sayy that you also choose to get on a bus or enter a supermarket. However these are essential everyday services which cannot be lived without. So forcing folk folk to wear a mask on these is nothing short of a violation of someone's liberty.

Imo

vegas-voss
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Work simple as that mate.No idea why you dont need them at work though cause no way you can keep 2 metre distance from everyone while at work ( different outside though )

2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Sweden is not the UK, despite having similar start times and progressions of infections the R rate in Sweden never reached the same heights. I'm sure you remember @redjambo correcting erroneous claims you made about this previously. So why compare the UK to Sweden? Why not compare them to New Zealand or Australia who also went for lockdowns?

You keep saying it's too early to tell, but the politicians don't have the luxury of sitting around and watching how things unfold, decisions have to be taken. I'm quite happy to say I would have gone for lockdown at a similar time to the rest of Europe, and my opinion is that would have saved lives at this point. I don't have a crystal ball, so it may not prove to be a good policy in the long run, but I'd live with it.

So if you were UK prime minister at the beginning of April, what policies would you have implemented?

By the start of April it was too late. The WHO warned us to prepare for this in February. What did the politicians actually do at that point. 

Would you rather someone farted next to your face wearing jeans or bare arse?

The masks do make a difference if they are good ones. In Asia it is a custom to wear one when they have a cold. It's a normal sight, but not here.

If the virus is going to flare up in spikes, we need a way to limit the speed of the spread so the health services can cope.

The coming weeks will tell us where we're at with 'herd immunity'. Maybe strict mask use won't be necessary.

Edited by kila

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

They said during the briefing that some would be exempt from wearing them, pretty sure claustrophobia would be included in that.

So I have to get medical exemption to go on a bus?

Wouldn't waste my doctor's time. Walk or drive everywhere from now on. 

People can be drones all they want. I'll not be participating. 

Fwiw not a dig at anyone on this thread. 

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have no problem with folk CHOOSING to wear them. However I am getting rather frightened at how much folk are willing to allow their basic freedoms to be completely trampled over. The fear that has been spread has done wonders. 

People can sayy that you also choose to get on a bus or enter a supermarket. However these are essential everyday services which cannot be lived without. So forcing folk folk to wear a mask on these is nothing short of a violation of someone's liberty.

Imo

Sorry but have to disagree on the comment about basic freedoms being trampled over - and completely respect your opinions.

Many years ago, seatbelts weren't fitted or were compulsory.  Now you don't event think about.  Motorcyclists wearing helmets.  I could go on and on about changes that have been made for safety of the individual and the wider community.

So was it wrong and trampling of freedoms to make seatbelts compulsory?

Edited by Gards

image.thumb.jpeg.e3d2fdd1e1899af2e196b8f9ab26c769.jpeg

ordered these on Amazon not due till early July but ideal for later on this year or earlier if they arrive before scheduled date. 

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, kila said:

I had to go to A&E a couple of weeks ago. The doctor doing the initial assessment told a woman wearing surgical type gloves to take them off and throw them away, telling her that unless she replaced them every fifteen minutes or so they were less than worthless. 

Nicola's advice in her briefing on face masks was refreshingly honest and straightforward.. No evidence that they were of benefit in the open air and very little evidence that they were beneficial indoors but won't do any harm so worth doing in enclosed places. I suspect especially given the low level of infections now masks are more a psychological benefit  than anything else. As with gloves wearers of masks often seem to be continually touching them not by the straps but by the main covering. I have seen someone getting out of his car holding his mask  by the nose and mouth covering in his mouth while locking the car. So if infected basically storing the virus in his mask.

Despite the value if any of masks being to prevent you passing it on rather than catching it the wearers seem to fall mostly into two categories. Those who think it makes them immune and so feel free to ignore social distancing. And those who react with horror if a non-mask wearer gets even as close as two meters from them,  or just fleetingly passes them in the street.

Edited by Francis Albert

So I have to get medical exemption to go on a bus?

Wouldn't waste my doctor's time. Walk or drive everywhere from now on. 

People can be drones all they want. I'll not be participating. 

Fwiw not a dig at anyone on this thread. 

Yes, it probably would mean a medical exemption as they mentioned fines if not wearing one on public transport.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Gards said:

Sorry but have to disagree on the comment about basic freedoms being trampled over - and completely respect your opinions.

Many years ago, seatbelts weren't fitted or were compulsory.  Now you don't event think about.  Motorcyclists wearing helmets.  I could go on and on about changes that have been made for safety of the individual and the wider community.

You could add banning smoking in pubs as well.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Would you rather someone farted next to your face wearing jeans or bare arse?

The masks do make a difference if they are good ones. In Asia it is a custom to wear one when they have a cold. It's a normal sight, but not here.

If the virus is going to flare up in spikes, we need a way to limit the speed of the spread so the health services can cope.

The coming weeks will tell us where we're at with 'herd immunity'. Maybe strict mask use won't be necessary.

Can that someone be Billie Piper?

7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Work simple as that mate.No idea why you dont need them at work though cause no way you can keep 2 metre distance from everyone while at work ( different outside though )

I’m opening the office up on the 24th June and luckily we have screens separating the desks (to deflect noise when folk are on the phones). Everyone will be wearing a mask when they’re not at their desk though. 

Edited by GinRummy

vegas-voss
Just now, GinRummy said:

I’m opening the office up on the 24th June and luckily we have screens separating the desks (to deflect noise when folk are in the phones). Everyone will be wearing a mask when they’re not at their desk though. 

👍

AlimOzturk
3 minutes ago, Gards said:

The above examples are proven safety features which save lives. Just a couple of months ago facemasks were being ridiculed and the officials deemed them not worthy of importance. Why the sudden need to wear them now? 

Driving is a privilege not a right. Folk can choose to use a car or motorcycle. Steeping onto a public service or supermarket are essential everyday needs for people. Shouldn't be forced to wear a garment over their face if they don't want to. 

Good argument though which I struggled to find answers to though. 

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

By the start of April it was too late. The WHO warned us to prepare for this in February. What did the politicians actually do at that point. 

I agree, but given that just about every western government did nothing until this point, I think it's a reasonable starting point for @Francis Albert to outline his master plan.

AlimOzturk

Would like to know how legally enforceable fines will be. Doubt they could hold up.in court as are the Coronavirus lockdown fines aren't. 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

In England, but we will follow suit. Hopefully make it compulsory for Supermarkets too

You can't make people with asthma etc... wear masks. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

The above examples are proven safety features which save lives. Just a couple of months ago facemasks were being ridiculed and the officials deemed them not worthy of importance. Why the sudden need to wear them now? 

Driving is a privilege not a right. Folk can choose to use a car or motorcycle. Steeping onto a public service or supermarket are essential everyday needs for people. Shouldn't be forced to wear a garment over their face if they don't want to. 

Good argument though which I struggled to find answers to though. 

What about the rights of the workers who have to put up with folk not covering their face during a pandemic? It's about respecting others too.

Though I can't see such an enforcement working in the UK. Boris and Jacob won't wear masks for starters.

3 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I agree, but given that just about every western government did nothing until this point, I think it's a reasonable starting point for @Francis Albert to outline his master plan.

😀 fair enough. Will let you continue your banter with Frank 👍

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Obviously they will make medical exemptions 

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, kila said:

What about the rights of the workers who have to put up with folk not covering their face during a pandemic? It's about respecting others too.

Though I can't see such an enforcement working in the UK. Boris and Jacob won't wear masks for starters.

I mean they have worked through the peak of the virus without folk wearing masks why would they suddenly feel the need for folk to wear a mask now? Can't force one set of people to wear something to please others. 

Francis Albert
37 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

When did I ever say we shouldn't have locked down? I would have gone for one too, probably a bit earlier. My point and interest in Sweden has always been that it offers a sort of control, however imperfect, in the experiment everyone is conducting on how best to face the challenge of coronavirus. So far the jury for me is out -  Sweden may prove to have made a disastrous mistake (though that is certainly not proven yet) or may in the long run have made the right decision … or more likely perhaps some course betweeen the two might in retrospect have been better. It is I am afraid too early to tell!

The idea that the only and over-riding objective is to save lives in the short term without regard to the impact of the cure in the long term seems to me pretty stupid. 

PS I don't remember redjambo's correcting my "erroneous claims" about the Swedish R number … but don't doubt he did.

Edited by Francis Albert

17 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Learn some science FFS

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Learn some science FFS

Could you please expand on that please? 

Are you for the wearing of masks Cade?

Do you think folk with Athsma should be forced to wear a mask

Edited by AlimOzturk

Jambo-Jimbo
51 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Apologies in advance if I've got you mixed up with someone else, but are you not a self-employed Edinburgh tour guide, if so, don't be shocked if you have to wear a face mask/covering when you are showing clients around the town.

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Apologies in advance if I've got you mixed up with someone else, but are you not a self-employed Edinburgh tour guide, if so, don't be shocked if you have to wear a face mask/covering when you are showing clients around the town.

No apologies necessary. Have already given this thought and I'll be seeking exemption.(tour bus driver fwiw) 

Doubt there will be any work in the in the near future anyways. Some buses/coaches are going to forced to shut down at least three quarters of their seats just to comply with social distancing measures. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

15 minutes ago, Cade said:

Learn some science FFS

Really! I'll go with my son's problems with asthma. Not some no Feck all on jkb.  Not everything that comes out a fecking book works in reality. 

Edited by ri Alban

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Could you please expand on that please? 

Are you for the wearing of masks Cade?

Do you think folk with Athsma should be forced to wear a mask

Sounds like it. He still believes the science that said smoking is good for you. 

He needs to open his curtains. 

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

No apologies necessary. Have already given this thought and I'll be seeking exemption.(tour bus driver fwiw) 

Doubt there will be any work in the in the near future anyways. Some buses/coaches are going to forced to shut down at least three quarters of their seats just to comply with social distancing measures. 

Get yersel a big feck off Rickshaw. :D

Edited by ri Alban

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was the same, felt daft with the mask

and gloves on, bit hot and my specs steamed up 😃. I think the drivers should be wearing masks too.

Yeah i feel daft too but i think of the bigger picture . I wear mine to the shops and wear gloves too. I dont wear either if im just out for a walk. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic