Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Tory majority presses through Mogg's plans to end remote voting for MPs.

Older MPs and those with underlying health conditions will now be forced to appear at the HoC in person to vote on anything, which is surely a breach of the government's own advice on workplace pandemic safety and a breach of health and safety law.

The UK is a farce.

London is coronavirus free. They will be safer in Westminster than in their constituencies. And age profiles mean Tories are most at risk to the extent there is a minimal risk.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

London is coronavirus free. They will be safer in Westminster than in their constituencies. And age profiles mean Tories are most at risk to the extent there is a minimal risk.

Lol.

36 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What a nonsense post.

London is free of the virus is it? No longer going around? And it isn't just to protect those MPs with ill health, it's to protect others they might be living with that are also at risk.

To remove remote voting during a pandemic is just plain inhumane. Corrupt actually...

Francis Albert
45 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Lol.

Last figure I saw was 13 deaths on 1st June. .Or about 0.00013% of the population. Just over 1 in a million. And London has had fewer than 100 new cases a day for a fortnight. Most boroughs new case rates are in single figures and the most has 13. Each borough is the size of at least a medium sized city.

The country needs to move on from lockdown and London and the HoC is as good a place to start as any.

Edited by Francis Albert

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

There is no material purpose to it.    Since there is no material purpose to forcing people to physically attend,    there must be some other purpose.    It might just be arch-traditionalist Mogg being an arch-arsehole.    It might something else.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s the “ might be something else “ which is the concern 

Its plainly the fact that bawjaws is taking a total hiding in Westminster every week so Moggy wants to fill it up with the braying donkeys to cover the fact he's horribly exposed at the dispatch box. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Its plainly the fact that bawjaws is taking a total hiding in Westminster every week so Moggy wants to fill it up with the braying donkeys to cover the fact he's horribly exposed at the dispatch box. 

:spoton:

coconut doug
5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Like quite a few on here you seem as eager to get UK to the top of the death league as the SPFL to get Hearts to the bottom of the Premiership. Apart from getting Spain wrong you also appear not to have noticed that most countries above us in that wee the table have tested less than us and only one of those below us has tested more.

I doubt anybody wants people dead especially those they know and like which is what you are suggesting.

I've not got Spain wrong, their excess deaths are much less than that of the UK.

It doesn't matter how many tests are carried out in each country, people still die as the number of deaths can be best expressed in terms of excess deaths and not necessarily what phrase the doctor puts on the death certificate.

The only decent sized country above us in death rates is Belgium and they calculate their death rates on excess deaths i believe. 

It's always bewildering when Labour voters go to such great lengths to excuse Tory incompetence and corruption. Even more so when their arguments can be so easily refuted. You seem to have missed a great many catastrophic government decisions i.e late lockdown, herd immunity strategy, failure to test trace and isolate, abandoning quarantine measures, shortage of PPE and extreme difficulties distributing it, mixed messages and hypocrisy around lockdown measures and a substandard tracing app to name but a few.

The likelihood that we will be the worst performing western country is no surprise to many because we are a consistently poor performer with almost all social indicators. Even Trump's America and lockdown light Sweden are likely to have better figures when this is all over. I am sick of UK incompetence and British exceptionalism from people who have little or no regard for this country, and i hope a little, every time i see them being exposed for it but then my hopes are usually dashed by Labour supporters wanting to defend the Tories and challenge my motives for pointing out their all to obvious inadequacies.

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

200.gif

Nucky Thompson

Having a huge majority means you can do what the feck you want. 

Some of you have at least another 5 years of frothing at the mouth :lol:

59 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Last figure I saw was 13 deaths on 1st June. .Or about 0.00013% of the population. Just over 1 in a million. And London has had fewer than 100 new cases a day for a fortnight. Most boroughs new case rates are in single figures and the most has 13. Each borough is the size of at least a medium sized city.

The country needs to move on from lockdown and London and the HoC is as good a place to start as any.

It's been driven very low but it's certainly not free.    Besides,    even at micro levels and in a population of such size and density,    much of which is totally reliant on public transport,    micro level existence can quite quickly become a major flare up.    

If only we had a large and active TTT&I system.    Like... an actual one.   Not the theoretical one being hawked around as a real one.

Jambo 4 Ever
6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Selfish?

My wife has been an absolute star during lockdown, doing everything for her elderly parents, as have many other folk. Sometimes running errands for them twice a day, never complaining and they are so grateful to her.

However if she gets caught short and has to use their loo, I will make sure she knows how selfish she is.

You lack something. 

Erm this is not the point and you know it mate

we are talking about the selfish People going to their mates gardens and then going inside to use the toilet when clearly this is not allowed!!

Would not be at all surprised to see the HSE being contacted by MPs.     

That's OFFICIAL gvt policy.    Don't think your workplace meets safety standards?    You should contact the HSE.      

It's a good job that all the Westminster MPs live in London and don't have to travel to get there.

Are there plenty childcare facilities available?

The Mighty Thor
45 minutes ago, graygo said:

It's a good job that all the Westminster MPs live in London and don't have to travel to get there.

Are there plenty childcare facilities available?

They'll be submitting huge expense claims either way. 👍

CavySlaveJambo

Has anybody watched “Shutdown: The Virus that changed the world” on Sky Documentaries, been really interesting as to the effects on people, and condenses everything along as time goes along, 

Walter Bishop
9 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

True, but.....

https://fullfact.org/online/spanish-flu-second-wave-quarantine/

We certainly can't plan on a best-case scenario; not with a virus that we haven't pinned down.

Fed up reading people say the second wave is coming because the Spanish flu had a second wave. The same people who have been telling us all along this is not a flu. 🤦‍♂️

Walter Bishop
5 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

does this bozo not realise the r-value is very volatile

Is it though? I'm beginning to think otherwise, you only have to look at countries that have relaxed lockdowns weeks ago, cases are going down everywhere. Something has changed, for the good  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
37 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Is it though? I'm beginning to think otherwise, you only have to look at countries that have relaxed lockdowns weeks ago, cases are going down everywhere. Something has changed, for the good  

sorry mate I was only joking - I would have put a smiley face picture had it been a different thread

one of the things the government appears to have done well was to get the public to comply to a degree they didn’t expect even optimistically - there’s always going to be issues but in general they have got the public complying when they really needed it for everyone’s benefit 

one obvious tactic was fear (which initially was without doubt genuine) a less obvious one was to release a tsunami of data and detail

so articles like you linked and the more positive fundamental stuff not bogged-down by detail on here (for example) is strongly challenged by folk waving potential r-numbers to 3 decimal places

all the while the key questions were being answered

thats why full lockdown is almost certainly finished despite folks fears (genuine or otherwise) of rising r-values and second waves

as all described in the article

10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Why reintroduce covid from other areas?

John Gentleman
4 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

SARS-CoV-2 does not 'target' specific demographics. A virus isn't sentient, it's a pathogen. Anyone, of any age, who sucks it in can contract Covid-19 when the virus latches on to lung tissue and replicates. It's the immune system response which then determines the prognosis. As we age, our immune systems become less effective, and particularly so amongst those with co-morbidities (cardiac, malignancy, diabetes etc) which (surprise, surprise) are found in older age groups. In those groups people's immune systems can't produce enough antibodies to fight the invader, so the immune system launches an all-out assault -  a cytokine storm (sepsis) which then leads to the body's organs shutting down one-by-one. The end result is death.

At the other end of the age spectrum, young folk can just as easily acquire Covid-19, the difference being their immune systems swat it off and deal with it, often asymptomatically. The downside to this is, unless tested en masse, they are in that cohort of silent super spreaders (as are many young adults). 

As for 'second waves', there's plenty of precedents. Some viruses mutate quickly and often (flu, HIV) whilst others (measles, poliovirus) stay rock-steady, decade in, decade out. In the latter two, because of virus stability, we've been able to develop effective, universal vaccines. With volatile viruses like the flu, we have to develop new vaccines twice a year (northern & southern hemispheres). Immunologists have given up on HIV, so all the effort goes into treatments.

We just don't know at this stage which way SARS-Cov-V is going to jump. It could 'fizzle out' (like its relative SARS), it could mutate into something milder/nastier or it could be 'the new kid on the block' which humanity just has to learn to learn to deal with, like MERS. 

I think we're all fed up with this, but that's life. We're born, we live, we deal with what we encounter as best we can, then we die. Nobody promised us anything else.

John Gentleman
4 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Some churches are concerned too 

The good pastor's trolley and himself parted company many miles ago. And what's he doing with a Jewish menorah behind his left shoulder? Nick it from the local synagogue matey, did you?

Nutter.

The Mighty Thor

According to this morning's Torygraph Johnson is personally 'taking back control of the handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

The obvious question being who the **** has been doing it for the last 3 months?

In other news Pritti Vile is definitely going ahead with the UK inbound quarantine rules 'to protect our nation and prevent spread of the virus' 

I had to double check it was today's paper and not one from 3rd February. 

John Gentleman
5 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Quite the rising social media star is oor Karol. Last chance grab for fame (or infamy)? He's an oncologist FFS. Not a virologist, immunologist, epidemiologist or public health expert. He should stick to his own area of expertise. 

37 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Quite the rising social media star is oor Karol. Last chance grab for fame (or infamy)? He's an oncologist FFS. Not a virologist, immunologist, epidemiologist or public health expert. He should stick to his own area of expertise. 

Can't believe I just opened that link. Daily blinking Mail   :facepalm:

No more swearing from me. 

Edited by ri Alban

John Gentleman
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Can't believe I just opened that link. Daily blinking Mail   :facepalm:

No more swearing from me. 

Things could be be worse – try Googling his name!

1 minute ago, John Gentleman said:

Things could be be worse – try Googling his name!

Will it break my phone😬

John Gentleman
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Will it break my phone😬

No, but you might create some new and innovative swearwords. ;) 

Just now, John Gentleman said:

No, but you might create some new and innovative swearwords. ;) 

🤣

So when you're tested up the nose and from the mouth, it's classed as 2 tests. 100,000 tests are in fact 50,000 people tested. Pathetic! 

UK now the worse death rate in the world. Horrendous! 

The Internet
28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

3sod9y.jpg.d8a01974d065c7bdb48cb68ac6cbee3e.jpg

:yas: it worked.

Now yer all in trouble! 

Imagine taking the time to make that 

:vrface:

4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Imagine taking the time to make that 

:vrface:

New phone, I went to brexit memes pulled this to see if it works. And it did. 

:yas:

How'd ye make them? :) Please! 

34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

3sod9y.jpg.d8a01974d065c7bdb48cb68ac6cbee3e.jpg

:yas: it worked.

Now yer all in trouble! 

I thought your inability to post pictures was down to a special contract with JKB...:biggrin2: 

2020 has thrown up another calamitous event.

Jambo 4 Ever
23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So when you're tested up the nose and from the mouth, it's classed as 2 tests. 100,000 tests are in fact 50,000 people tested. Pathetic! 

UK now the worse death rate in the world. Horrendous! 

Is this true?

3 minutes ago, OBE said:

I thought your inability to post pictures was down to a special contract with JKB...:biggrin2: 

2020 has thrown up another calamitous event.

:rofl:

I'm so happy! 

Positivity for this thread. :)

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Just heard it on GMB. 

Did they mention about visiting people and going for a pish and a dump?

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Bag it and bin it, is the strategy. 😊

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:

I'm so happy! 

Positivity for this thread. :)

Just to be sure, do another one, the saltire may have been a fluke...🤞

Jambo 4 Ever
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Stop acting like a jerk!

if the rules are that you can’t go in someone else’s house to use the toilet, then anyone doing this should be ashamed of themselves for being so selfish and idiotic 

Walter Bishop
2 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Jason Leitch is a dentist, Cath Calderwood was a Midwife. I dont understand your point? This whole article is based in information released by PHE. 

You sound like another enjoying the time off too much? Not happy with any positivity and only want to hear doom and gloom. Keep tuning into GMB, that will keep your spirits up. 👍

38 minutes ago, OBE said:

Just to be sure, do another one, the saltire may have been a fluke...🤞

Don't spoil it!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic