Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
54 minutes ago, mutley said:

There can’t be many countries worldwide who have handled this worse than us. If anything you’d think the Spanish etc would be reluctant to let us in

Spain is one of the few countries with a higher number of deaths per head of population than the UK.

At the end of the day I think will have handled it no better or worse than most. We get a distorted image.  

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I am certainly not as well read up on the subject as many on here clearly are but is there any reason why cities such as Cairo or any other massive cities in third world countries where hygiene is poor and overcrowding is horrific have not just ground to a halt with dead bodies?

It's a genuine question as I would have expected a virus deadly enough to lock down the western world to annihilate the less advanced countries but there doesn't seem to be any media coverage stating this.

Is this virus more prevalent in countries where the population is more affluent of obedient? 

I am not trying to be smart or trying to put out any wild conspiracy theory but I honestly find it all bizarre.

the closest we have seen is mass graves in brazilian cities such as sao paulo

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-29/sao-paulo-digs-mass-graves-as-virus-death-toll-soars-in-brazil/

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

No game at all mate

was a genuine question 

and people on here who are breaking the rules should be utterly ashamed of themselves for being so selfish 

I'll come round and pish in your toilet, mate.

The Internet
11 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

No game at all mate

was a genuine question 

and people on here who are breaking the rules should be utterly ashamed of themselves for being so selfish 

Thanks. Are you going now? 

John Gentleman
14 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I believe people are allowed to use the toilets, they should wipe down everything they touch afterwards is the advice.

I'd be carrying around pocketfuls of disposable, nitrile gloves and a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol. One pair for every piss and dump and spray your hands once you're out of there. Well worth the outlay.

Fairly savage assessment. 

Government's daily figures are obtuse, misleading and fall below the government's own transparency standards.

coconut doug
15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Spain is one of the few countries with a higher number of deaths per head of population than the UK.

At the end of the day I think will have handled it no better or worse than most. We get a distorted image.  

I think we have overtaken Spain. We are already much worse than almost any other comparable country and we are increasing our lead.

Luckily we are British and we can "take it on the chin" . We don't need to test,test,test: that's for poor countries.

John Gentleman
5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I think we have overtaken Spain. We are already much worse than almost any other comparable country and we are increasing our lead.

Luckily we are British and we can "take it on the chin" . We don't need to test,test,test: that's for poor countries.

Not quite – only 5 to go, but catching up quickly (deaths per 1M of population):

Covid Deaths x 1M pop.JPG

The Real Maroonblood
47 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Stop being a jerk

if you are one of the ones breaking the rules then shame on you 

You want to discuss where people pish?

Weird behaviour.

coconut doug
22 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Not quite – only 5 to go, but catching up quickly (deaths per 1M of population):

These are yesterday's figures. We have nearly 500 additional E+W deaths announced this morning.

Covid Deaths x 1M pop.JPG

John Gentleman
5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

These are yesterday's figures. We have nearly 500 additional E+W deaths announced this morning.

Cripes! These would be headline numbers, but I can't find any headlines online. So you're saying 500 deaths in one day in addition to the 575 on yesterday's crisis-to-date figures?

dobmisterdobster

People are bored of the lockdown and they aren't following it anymore.

It was never sustainable to have it this long.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'll come round and pish in your toilet, mate.

:rofl:

Blackie the Cat

I thought I would have one last comment in this bear pit!

Covid-19 exists and it is very very bad, it isn't flu but it passes on to other humans and like flu it kills people.

As far as I can see there are two main camps of thinking form the experts out there that the population choose to believe -

1st- say we are in the first wave and it's going to last one to two years and lockdown is the way to stop it with may deaths still to come.

2nd- say we are already passed the second wave and lockdown is now doing more harm than good and deaths will continue to slow down.  

I myself have looked at the facts and the figures and I firmly believe the 2nd camp of experts are correct however I accept I could be wrong. No matter what evidence, charts, news stories, photos or diagrams are put forward from either of the camps there is always someone from the opposite side able to prove and show that they are wrong. 

Only time will tell who was right or who was wrong but there will be no winners. Please try to see both sides of what's going on here and if you're in the 1st camp just hope that you are wrong.       

Cheers and be kind.

vegas-voss
7 minutes ago, Blackie the Cat said:

I thought I would have one last comment in this bear pit!

Covid-19 exists and it is very very bad, it isn't flu but it passes on to other humans and like flu it kills people.

As far as I can see there are two main camps of thinking form the experts out there that the population choose to believe -

1st- say we are in the first wave and it's going to last one to two years and lockdown is the way to stop it with may deaths still to come.

2nd- say we are already passed the second wave and lockdown is now doing more harm than good and deaths will continue to slow down.  

I myself have looked at the facts and the figures and I firmly believe the 2nd camp of experts are correct however I accept I could be wrong. No matter what evidence, charts, news stories, photos or diagrams are put forward from either of the camps there is always someone from the opposite side able to prove and show that they are wrong. 

Only time will tell who was right or who was wrong but there will be no winners. Please try to see both sides of what's going on here and if you're in the 1st camp just hope that you are wrong.       

Cheers and be kind.

Is it not there will be no 2nd wave.

Controlling spikes is what will prevent a 2nd wave happening if there is to be one thats the camp im in.

Do i trust this government to be able to control spikes though im very very dubious but i do hope.

Edited by vegas-voss

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

No game at all mate

was a genuine question 

Selfish?

My wife has been an absolute star during lockdown, doing everything for her elderly parents, as have many other folk. Sometimes running errands for them twice a day, never complaining and they are so grateful to her.

However if she gets caught short and has to use their loo, I will make sure she knows how selfish she is.

You lack something. 

coconut doug
1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

Cripes! These would be headline numbers, but I can't find any headlines online. So you're saying 500 deaths in one day in addition to the 575 on yesterday's crisis-to-date figures?

They may well be essentially the same figure but either way they do not appear on the Worldometers website.

John Gentleman
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Controlling spikes is what will prevent a 2nd wave happening if there is to be one thats the camp im in.

A mutation would certainly cause a second wave. Think of the flu' – new strains every year. It's also the reason the search for a vaccine for HIV/AIDS was ditched - the virus just keeps mutating. That's when treatments became the first line of defence. 

SARS-CoV-2 could go any which way. We (humanity) just haven't got a handle on this bloody thing.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Like quite a few on here you seem as eager to get UK to the top of the death league as the SPFL to get Hearts to the bottom of the Premiership. Apart from getting Spain wrong you also appear not to have noticed that most countries above us in that wee the table have tested less than us and only one of those below us has tested more.

Edited by Francis Albert

The Internet

Why can't you say how bad the UK has been at dealing with this without being accused of wanting everyone to die? **** off. 

21 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Do i trust this government to be able to control spikes though im very very dubious but i do hope.

my view would be people not accepting localised lockdowns to prevent a second wave. we have seen during this even before the cummings arseholery some people not following lockdown rules

4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Just get to the part where you say people going into the house for the toilet are scum and be done with it. 

3 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Stop being a jerk

if you are one of the ones breaking the rules then shame on you 

Close enough.

:facepalm:

vegas-voss
8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

my view would be people not accepting localised lockdowns to prevent a second wave. we have seen during this even before the cummings arseholery some people not following lockdown rules

Yes i have said before folk have a duty ourselves to help get rid/on top of this virus.

24 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

A mutation would certainly cause a second wave. Think of the flu' – new strains every year. It's also the reason the search for a vaccine for HIV/AIDS was ditched - the virus just keeps mutating. That's when treatments became the first line of defence. 

SARS-CoV-2 could go any which way. We (humanity) just haven't got a handle on this bloody thing.

Mutations tend to be less virulent so any second wave might not be as bad as the first 

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Selfish?

My wife has been an absolute star during lockdown, doing everything for her elderly parents, as have many other folk. Sometimes running errands for them twice a day, never complaining and they are so grateful to her.

However if she gets caught short and has to use their loo, I will make sure she knows how selfish she is.

You lack something. 

I'm assuming she's heeded the advice and never used their loo. The risk can't be justified, can it?

Good start to end of lockdown in Fife 😬

An update on cases in Fife shows total positive cases is now 871, up from 836 yesterday.

It is an increase of 35 cases in just a day.

Fife has now had as many cases in one night as it had in the previous 25 days.

Edited by neilnunb

1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

True, but.....

https://fullfact.org/online/spanish-flu-second-wave-quarantine/

We certainly can't plan on a best-case scenario; not with a virus that we haven't pinned down.

I think planning is usually done on a worst case scenario to be fair.

Hard to compare the circumstances of Spanish flu and Covid-19, completely different times. There was no lockdown as such and not as easy to get a consistent message across in those days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-52564371

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

An update on cases in Fife shows total positive cases is now 871, up from 836 yesterday.

Lockdown was only lifted on Thursday, highly unlikely anyone has caught it and been tested positive since then.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Why can't you say how bad the UK has been at dealing with this without being accused of wanting everyone to die? **** off. 

Why can't you doubt that the UK has been quite as bad as some think without being told to **** off?

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

International travel quarantine in tatters then.    Not going to be one really.

No wonder the public wont take the rules seriously if the government can't be arsed.

Utterly redundant policy. 3 months too late to start with.

Interestingly countries, such as Czech Republic & Spain are saying inbound travellers must be from 'low risk' countries to be allowed in. CR have only 2 classified high risk European countries, UK & Sweden. 

highlandjambo3
19 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

What do people do if you are visiting someone in their garden and you need the toilet?

are any of you going inside to use their toilet?

You could always take one of those ball throwing gadgets you see dog walkers have to pap the ball quite far............

downwind obviously.

Edited by highlandjambo3

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Where did that come from? There were only 13 new positive cases in the whole of Scotland today, with another 40 added to the figures from previous unreported cases

Shanks said no
25 minutes ago, OBE said:

I'm assuming she's heeded the advice and never used their loo. The risk can't be justified, can it?

of course she has heeded the advice to the best of her ability. Her shewee is extremely useful and she just puts any shit in a bag for our next visit to Hamilton. 

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

of course she has heeded the advice to the best of her ability. Her shewee is extremely useful and she just puts any shit in a bag for our next visit to Hamilton. 

:lol:

The Internet
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Why can't you doubt that the UK has been quite as bad as some think without being told to **** off?

Twice in one page we had accusations of folk wanting the worst to happen. It's pathetic, childish. And it's probably because there's no fact or figure in existence that doesn't make the UK look utterly shambolic in their handling of this. 

Tory majority presses through Mogg's plans to end remote voting for MPs.

Older MPs and those with underlying health conditions will now be forced to appear at the HoC in person to vote on anything, which is surely a breach of the government's own advice on workplace pandemic safety and a breach of health and safety law.

The UK is a farce.

nobodymove
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Selfish?

You lack something. 

I guess he thinks that I am selfish too for having a slash after fixing someones boiler so they can have hot water. 

Edited by nobodymove
Spelling

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Twice in one page we had accusations of folk wanting the worst to happen. It's pathetic, childish. And it's probably because there's no fact or figure in existence that doesn't make the UK look utterly shambolic in their handling of this. 

The UK  Government's response in trying to protect jobs has I think been quite impressive. As I have said before the economic impact of Coronavirus may well (world wide almost certainly will) kill more people and damage more lives than the virus itself.

The ability of the NHS to cope without coming anywhere  near collapse has been impressive. 

As I pointed out the supposed "facts" that the UK has had more deaths per head of population than Spain (and Belgium)  is not a fact. The supposed fact that almost everywhere has tested more is not a fact.

The idea that the UK has been unique in seeing a breakdown and lack of compliance with lockdown is not a fact.

The idea that the UK politicians and political advisers have been caught out more than others by breaking lock down rules is not a fact.

And as an aside, within the UK the idea that Boris Johnson and the UK Government have been a disaster but Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish Government have been a success is not borne out by any evidence on outcomes to date.

As I have said before in a year or maybe two we can make an overall  judgement … with the benefit of hindsight.  In the meantime people can enjoy political point scoring.

39 minutes ago, Cade said:

Older MPs and those with underlying health conditions will now be forced to appear at the HoC in person to vote on anything, which is surely a breach of the government's own advice on workplace pandemic safety and a breach of health and safety law.

The UK is a farce.

Sort of parallels with the US Republicans restricting postal votes.

An easy way to pass things through without opposition.

What is Steve Bannon up to these days?

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Maybe more people are being tested ? 

48 minutes ago, Cade said:

The UK is a farce.

Quite disturbing.    Every 'at risk' MP should really continue to stay away with their choice to not attend to vote having been compromised.    The consequence of this is simple.    The entire legitimacy of every commons vote is badly compromised.     A *******ised version of democracy.    

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Maybe more people are being tested ? 

It's not accurate

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Quite disturbing.    Every 'at risk' MP should really continue to stay away with their choice to not attend to vote having been compromised.    The consequence of this is simple.    The entire legitimacy of every commons vote is badly compromised.     A *******ised version of democracy.    

It’s worrying 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s worrying 

There is no material purpose to it.    Since there is no material purpose to forcing people to physically attend,    there must be some other purpose.    It might just be arch-traditionalist Mogg being an arch-arsehole.    It might something else.

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There is no material purpose to it.    Since there is no material purpose to forcing people to physically attend,    there must be some other purpose.    It might just be arch-traditionalist Mogg being an arch-arsehole.    It might something else.

It’s the “ might be something else “ which is the concern 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic