Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Ex member of the SaS
15 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Had the flu as well for the first time in my life last month, ended up going to hospital and they tested me for Covid for which I was negative. Any other myths you've read on the internet?

I saw a programme on TV where they stated in the USA the testing for flu needed another level of testing, which they are not doing. Test and find Covid ( coronavirus )but to find the flu bug ( coronavirus ) they had to do further tests on the same sample.

So how did they report this to you? Can't see many testing sites doing a double test to distinguish between covid and flu. Test and find covid end of testing would appear to be the way they do it here. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No you posted a less than accurate posting. No shame in that. It happens to the best of all. Winding up people ? Does that mean im living in their heads then ? Rent free? 

R (7).gif

Aye....

No. :lol: 

SuperstarSteve
Just now, King prawn said:

Common colds do not cause positive PCR results.

I’m just repeating what my doctor has told me and it was exactly what the other lad posted. The PCR’s are testing for coronavirus and the common cold is coronavirus and so is covid. 

2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Aye....

No. :lol: 

Oscar-Wilde-Quotes.jpg

22 minutes ago, Clear few said:

Or did you have Covid once then the flu (or vice versa?)

Both of which as Corona viruses give positive responses on Latflo and PCR tests.

‘Flu is caused by an influenza virus.  It is not a coronavirus.

23 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Who the **** gave you editorial control of this thread you attention seeking muppet?

😎👍

🏅

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

ah wind up merchant..... now i get it...

FGz1ZnnXIAsRlzH.jpg

Unlikely to bother the podium of the 2021 FHM High Street Honey award, is she. 

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You come over far more obsessed by her and in a particularly weird way. It's almost as if you are cc-ing her in on all your posts desperate for her to respond to you with her approval. Whatever floats your boat I suppose. 

willy_wonka_sarcasm_meme.jpg

SuperstarSteve
1 minute ago, FWJ said:

‘Flu is caused by an influenza virus.  It is not a coronavirus.

That is correct. I had posted earlier saying the same but flu is a totally different virus. An influenza virus like you say, Common cold and covid are coronavirus.

Footballfirst
39 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

BBC also reported that the majority being admitted are for unrelated illnesses and are then testing positive 

This is what the BBC reported just 30 minutes ago.

The proportion of hospitalisations for what is known as an incidental admission is also growing and contributing to the increase. These are people being treated for something else, but who just happen to have Covid.

Last week these cases accounted for around three in 10 patients in hospital, but the expectation is this will have increased by now.

1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Unlikely to bother the podium of the 2021 FHM High Street Honey award, is she. 

She has a butch , abrasive, hard as nails presentation so will probably appeal to some people....

R.jpg

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

This is what the BBC reported just 30 minutes ago.

The proportion of hospitalisations for what is known as an incidental admission is also growing and contributing to the increase. These are people being treated for something else, but who just happen to have Covid.

Last week these cases accounted for around three in 10 patients in hospital, but the expectation is this will have increased by now.

Even going by the sky figures, 1000 out of a population of 67 million is still small.

1 minute ago, SuperstarSteve said:

That is correct. I had posted earlier saying the same but flu is a totally different virus. An influenza virus like you say, Common cold and covid are coronavirus.

No, most common cold viruses are rhinoviruses. Only some are coronaviruses and the PCR test has a very high specificity for SARS-CoV-2. If your doctor genuinely told you that "Common cold/flu/covid are coronavirus and that’s what is being tested for on PCR coronavirus", which with all due respect I believe is more probably a crock of shit you made up or copied from some internet forum, then you should be looking for a new doctor.

Nucky Thompson
36 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

With not from.

It's all the right wing media backed up by Tory backbenchers fault for busting the Covid hospital admissions myth :conspiracy:

17 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

I’m just repeating what my doctor has told me and it was exactly what the other lad posted. The PCR’s are testing for coronavirus and the common cold is coronavirus and so is covid. 

A PCR test is specifically to test for SARS-cov-2 (Covid 19) - an antibodies test could pick up a previous illness that wasn’t Covid but they’re two different things. 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No, most common cold viruses are rhinoviruses. Only some are coronaviruses and the PCR test has a very high specificity for SARS-CoV-2. If your doctor genuinely told you that "Common cold/flu/covid are coronavirus and that’s what is being tested for on PCR coronavirus", which with all due respect I believe is more probably a crock of shit you made up or copied from some internet forum, then you should be looking for a new doctor.

Nicely put :lol: 

Lord Montpelier
13 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The hospitality sector, arts / theatre / culture, and football clubs now need to get together and make a stand for their customers, and potentially their livelihoods.  

I've seen a load of moaning from them, fine, pool your resources against these restrictions (sorry protections). 

Would be a powerful movement done well. Perhaps Neil Doncaster could organise lol. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Rhinovirus more associated with summer colds and warmer temperatures ?

Coronavirus more associated with winter colds ie more relevant now ?

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

That's a load of shite.

My daughter has had 3 colds in the last 18 months and the school insisted that she took a PCR test and 3 times she has been negative.

35 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So what about the other 36.5%? 
What percentage voted for Brexit? 
What percentage voted for the Tories at the last GE? 
The more time goes on the more people realise Independence is the only option, which is why there’s a power grab isn’t it? 

My response wasn't about Brexit or the Tories, it was simply in response to your comment that the majority want an independence referendum when the figures suggest not. As for the 36.5% of the electorate who didn't vote, if they couldn't be bothered to vote for the SNP (or anyone in fact) at the Scottish Parliamentary elections then you can hardly count this as support for an independence referendum?    

32 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I saw a programme on TV where they stated in the USA the testing for flu needed another level of testing, which they are not doing. Test and find Covid ( coronavirus )but to find the flu bug ( coronavirus ) they had to do further tests on the same sample.

So how did they report this to you? Can't see many testing sites doing a double test to distinguish between covid and flu. Test and find covid end of testing would appear to be the way they do it here. 

Covid test tests only for covid so the fact I didn’t have that meant it had to be something else - with my symptoms flu fit best. 

SuperstarSteve
Just now, redjambo said:

I mean your right but Common cold is also coronavirus it’s an undeniable fact and PCR tests for coronavirus. Covid is also coronavirus. 
I don’t post to convince anybody of anything everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Not need for me or anyone to to make up nonesense. Granted that doesn’t stop people from doing so but I simply got fed up listening the nonesense coming from all angles governments/scientists/media so I went spoke to my doctor regarding the testing and the transmission side of things and I was happy with what I was told and shown. 

I’ll test when I’m sick and I’ll isolate if the positive cycle threshold is 25 and under. Same goes for majority of my friends and family at this point tbh. 

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Rhinovirus more associated with summer colds and warmer temperatures ?

Coronavirus more associated with winter colds ie more relevant now ?

Indeed, but as I said, the PCR tests are highly specific to SARS-Cov-2. Look, the very fact that the poster in question started off lumping the flu viruses in his/her claim, then backtracked on that and appeared to claim that they knew all along that they were different, should amply illustrate the merits of their claim. No evidence was given to back up the claim, unsurprisingly, and the original assertion was said to have come from a "doctor", i.e. a supposed expert, a classic internet means of trying to attribute seriousness to a fake fact where there is in reality none.

There are many aspects of the handling of Covid that can be argued about, and rightly so, but crap like this is just embarrassing, and merely serves to cast a bad light on those who have genuine concerns about the handling of Covid. However, and this is sad to say, it is hardly ever those who complain the loudest about the handling of Covid who actually counter the crap when it is posted on here. It is almost always left to the more cautious, protectionist, posters to call the crap out for what it is.

1 minute ago, SuperstarSteve said:

I mean your right but Common cold is also coronavirus it’s an undeniable fact and PCR tests for coronavirus. Covid is also coronavirus. 
I don’t post to convince anybody of anything everyone is entitled to their opinion.

No, the Covid PCR tests for SARS-CoV-2. Saying otherwise is like having a test that tests for footballers by checking to see if they are wearing a football strip, and then claiming that this means that a Hearts player must be the same as a Hibs player. They're both footballers (coronaviruses), granted, but we all know there is a world of difference between them.

11 minutes ago, theshed said:

So sturgeon came on tv today to tell us nothing new then?

What was the point in that🤷‍♀️ 

A camera and an audience is all she needs. 

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, theshed said:

Making herself look important again

Yes one catch covid again but there have been no cases of anyone becoming seriously ill with it after a second infection . I read it somewhere but no doubt someone will contradict this. 

I dont doubt that.

It is however still a bit perplexing that people/posters are not aware of the facts.

It also makes some of their better points just look daft.

There are valid complaints about how Boris and Sturgeon are and have handled things.

90% twice jabbed

60% bolstered should have together with the data seen a lighter touch.

Such as 10 days isolation for contacts is ridiculously over zealous and it's no wonder the health service is toiling.

However the bottom line is that vaccination is the major factor in coping with this.

But there has to be a costing in regards to restriction.

By the way James I genuinely think you are a decent poster and criticism of the first minister is legit.

But the pics and remarks on the way she looks isnt nice and comes across slightly misogynistic.

I've plenty to be critical about her government .

I know you wont bother but just thought I'd give a friendly nudge.

6 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

A camera and an audience is all she needs. 

I've read the opinion elsewhere this was planned as an announcement of further restrictions following the tsunami she predicted. 

I'll bet she's disappointed. 

Just now, indianajones said:

Is there a way you can put a thead on ignore? 

Sick of the sight of it. 

I used to like the tit for tat but aye.

There are serious points to be discussed but it's for or against .

It is funny how it gets going every day though.

Be interesting for a shrink to look at its ebb and flow.

Any psychiatrist out there?

😁

Dennis Denuto
19 minutes ago, theshed said:

No she did a virtual FM questions with parliament which happened to be televised. If she hadn’t she would have been criticised for no update. 

manaliveits105
17 minutes ago, theshed said:

She does get off on her plastic power trip as do her wee cult weirdos on here 

4 minutes ago, Ked said:

But the pics and remarks on the way she looks isnt nice and comes across slightly misogynistic.

what about the remarks made about Boris Johnson then ? Plenty about his appearance.  

30 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

The hospitality sector, arts / theatre / culture, and football clubs now need to get together and make a stand for their customers, and potentially their livelihoods.  

I've seen a load of moaning from them, fine, pool your resources against these restrictions (sorry protections). 

Would be a powerful movement done well. Perhaps Neil Doncaster could organise lol. 

They really should. Where is the fightback going to come from ?

23 minutes ago, theshed said:

Back on the limelight. Withdrawal symptoms as she was only on last week. 

3 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I've read the opinion elsewhere this was planned as an announcement of further restrictions following the tsunami she predicted. 

I'll bet she's disappointed. 

LOL

3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

She does get off on her plastic power trip as do her wee cult weirdos on here 

Exactly

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

what about the remarks made about Boris Johnson then ? Plenty about his appearance.  

Reduces the arguments in the same way.

So yes not good either.

I'd say Sturgeons are a bit more on the cruel side as is generally the case when women are involved.

Yes one catch covid again but there have been no cases of anyone becoming seriously ill with it after a second infection . I read it somewhere but no doubt someone will contradict this.

Let me be that person, James. It took 5 seconds of internet research to come up with the following article, from October 2020: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-twice-death-dutch-woman/

Rather than you adjusting what you said and I having to go back and do the donkey-work on the internet to prove you wrong each time, it's probably better that you find evidence to back up any modified claim. After all it's you making the claims and so I am sure that you will therefore be happier to provide evidence to back them up. It will add more gravitas to the points that you make.

Hope you're doing fine, by the way.

10 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Sick of the sight of it. 

If you put 4 or 5 users in ignore it pretty much disappears 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Sick of the sight of it. 

Just now, redjambo said:

Let me be that person, James. It took 5 seconds of internet research to come up with the following article, from October 2020: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-twice-death-dutch-woman/

Rather than you adjusting what you said and I having to go back and do the donkey-work on the internet to prove you wrong each time, it's probably better that you find evidence to back up any modified claim. After all it's you making the claims and so I am sure that you will therefore be happier to provide evidence to back them up. It will add more gravitas to the points that you make.

:laugh2:

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

But it is unusual to be seriously ill never mind die. Thats what I had read before but didn't bookmark. I'm fine thanks , still sore throat and stuffy nose... :( hope your well. 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

F sake, looks like Covid was the least of her worries 

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, theshed said:

The first 6 words of your post cover the point.

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No, the Covid PCR tests for SARS-CoV-2. Saying otherwise is like having a test that tests for footballers by checking to see if they are wearing a football strip, and then claiming that this means that a Hearts player must be the same as a Hibs player. They're both footballers (coronaviruses), granted, but we all know there is a world of difference between them.

Not much of a "superstar" contribution from yet another poster who thinks he's sussed something thousands of experts hadn't.  Like that time Trump wanted to introduce bleach into the body, administer a "really good" flu vaccine against covid and shove a UV torch up his arsehole and literally said as much to a room full of experts. 

Ignorance on myriad subjects is our default position, and that's fine - we simply cannot process or understand in any great depth, all of the increasingly complicated systems and subjects that govern the workings of the modern world.

Unfortunately, and not claiming any immunity to this at all, contrary to this is our ability to post and opine on these subjects widely despite not having a scooby. 

Francis Albert

We don't see much (or at least as much) of Nicola down here. Genuine question. Does she ever delegate the press conferences to one of her team. If only to demonstrate its strength in depth.  Or try to.

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We don't see much (or at least as much) of Nicola down here. Genuine question. Does she ever delegate the press conferences to one of her team. If only to demonstrate its strength in depth.  Or try to.

Is there any?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )