Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We don't see much (or at least as much) of Nicola down here. Genuine question. Does she ever delegate the press conferences to one of her team. If only to demonstrate its strength in depth.  Or try to.

It's been known.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

But it is unusual to be seriously ill never mind die. Thats what I had read before but didn't bookmark. I'm fine thanks , still sore throat and stuffy nose... :( hope your well. 

Yeah, it probably is. Whether you catch Covid or get the jags, you're probably going to up your immunity, although said immunity may not last more than a few months at peak effectiveness, and is also susceptible to not being able to cope with emerging strains. Also, the immunity you get from the jags is more reliable than being infected, mostly due to the natural variability in the extent of infection, while meaning that you don't need to run the risk of the long-term effects of having been infected (for example, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/01/severe-covid-infection-doubles-chances-of-dying-in-following-year-study).

Anyhow, thanks, yes I'm doing fine, James. Having a very lazy few days. :) I haven't been following the thread much lately - have you got a cold?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We don't see much (or at least as much) of Nicola down here. Genuine question. Does she ever delegate the press conferences to one of her team. If only to demonstrate its strength in depth.  Or try to.

When she was doing daily press conferences (ex FMQ days) she generally delegated Fridays to the then health secretary Jean Freeman.  JF stood down at the last election in May

Current Health Secretary, Humza Yousaf, is quoted often enough in the MSM, which I assume has come from interviews or press conferences, but the MSM appears to have little interest in broadcasting them.

29 minutes ago, Ked said:

I used to like the tit for tat but aye.

There are serious points to be discussed but it's for or against .

It is funny how it gets going every day though.

Be interesting for a shrink to look at its ebb and flow.

Any psychiatrist out there?

😁

yep, its more tit for tit now

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

When she was doing daily press conferences (ex FMQ days) she generally delegated Fridays to the then health secretary Jean Freeman.  JF stood down at the last election in May

Current Health Secretary, Humza Yousaf, is quoted often enough in the MSM, which I assume has come from interviews or press conferences, but the MSM appears to have little interest in broadcasting them.

Thanks. It was a genuine question. Prompted by as you suggest the media focus on the FM and also the focus of this thread on her.

12 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Like that time Trump wanted to introduce bleach into the body, administer a "really good" flu vaccine against covid and shove a UV torch up his arsehole and literally said as much to a room full of experts. 

I've probably mentioned it before, Gizmo, but I was watching that media conference live on the web when it happened. It was one of the zaniest things I've ever seen. :D I was like

lady-blink.gif

I didn't know at that time that the craziness would spread as fast as the virus did. :)

25 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Let me be that person, James. It took 5 seconds of internet research to come up with the following article, from October 2020: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-twice-death-dutch-woman/

Rather than you adjusting what you said and I having to go back and do the donkey-work on the internet to prove you wrong each time, it's probably better that you find evidence to back up any modified claim. After all it's you making the claims and so I am sure that you will therefore be happier to provide evidence to back them up. It will add more gravitas to the points that you make.

Hope you're doing fine, by the way.

Who needs that when there’s an apparently endless supply of fatuous gifs to post instead?

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Not much of a "superstar" contribution from yet another poster who thinks he's sussed something thousands of experts hadn't.  Like that time Trump wanted to introduce bleach into the body, administer a "really good" flu vaccine against covid and shove a UV torch up his arsehole and literally said as much to a room full of experts. 

Ignorance on myriad subjects is our default position, and that's fine - we simply cannot process or understand in any great depth, all of the increasingly complicated systems and subjects that govern the workings of the modern world.

Unfortunately, and not claiming any immunity to this at all, contrary to this is our ability to post and opine on these subjects widely despite not having a scooby. 

Good post.  We all have agency and part of having agency is the wisdom to know one's limitations and when to outsource knowledge and understanding to qualified people.  It's our domain to learn some basics and gain understanding as we go along.  

There's a large group of people here who,  as well as quite rightly questioning experts,  have gone a long way beyond the point where they now openly ridicule,  abuse and deny the competences and expertise of public health and scientific figures.  When you reach that point then you're no longer interested in facts.  Only bits of data and opinion that tends to support some other motive.

I would rather lose an argument if I learned something of a factual and scientific basis in doing so.  This place has turned into a dismal echo chamber of hearsay,  anecdote and misinformation for the purpose of winning arguments that aren't even being won.  

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Good post.  We all have agency and part of having agency is the wisdom to know one's limitations and when to outsource knowledge and understanding to qualified people.  It's our domain to learn some basics and gain understanding as we go along.  

There's a large group of people here who,  as well as quite rightly questioning experts,  have gone a long way beyond the point where they now openly ridicule,  abuse and deny the competences and expertise of public health and scientific figures.  When you reach that point then you're no longer interested in facts.  Only bits of data and opinion that tends to support some other motive.

I would rather lose an argument if I learned something of a factual and scientific basis in doing so.  This place has turned into a dismal echo chamber of hearsay,  anecdote and misinformation for the purpose of winning arguments that aren't even being won.  

Great post.

Going wildly off-topic here, but your second paragraph puts me in mind of the teaching of creationism rather than evolution.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
57 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed, but as I said, the PCR tests are highly specific to SARS-Cov-2. Look, the very fact that the poster in question started off lumping the flu viruses in his/her claim, then backtracked on that and appeared to claim that they knew all along that they were different, should amply illustrate the merits of their claim. No evidence was given to back up the claim, unsurprisingly, and the original assertion was said to have come from a "doctor", i.e. a supposed expert, a classic internet means of trying to attribute seriousness to a fake fact where there is in reality none.

There are many aspects of the handling of Covid that can be argued about, and rightly so, but crap like this is just embarrassing, and merely serves to cast a bad light on those who have genuine concerns about the handling of Covid. However, and this is sad to say, it is hardly ever those who complain the loudest about the handling of Covid who actually counter the crap when it is posted on here. It is almost always left to the more cautious, protectionist, posters to call the crap out for what it is.

that’s good we agree on the coronavirus versus rhinovirus relevance at this time ie winter

11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks. It was a genuine question. Prompted by as you suggest the media focus on the FM and also the focus of this thread on her.

I think the FM is playing politics a bit by working every day throughout the pandemic. 😉

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

It means open your window, unplug your router and throw it out 

Yup and just absorb everything that the BBC etc ram down your gullet and jettison critical free thinking. 

I see we've got another one joined the thread recently with the usual tinfoil hat nonsense....obviously won't say the username due to it being against the rules.

2 minutes ago, Clear few said:

Yup and just absorb everything that the BBC etc ram down your gullet and jettison critical free thinking. 

Was it this "critical free thinking" of yours that came up with the statement "If you’ve had COVID once you cannot catch it again"?

Did you never think "Hang on, let me just have a look around the web to see if I can find any evidence for or against the assertion before I post it on an internet forum"?

To be brutally honest, it doesn't shed a particularly complimentary light on your critical free thinking if such thinking appears to just mean absorbing and regurgitating any old crap that you find on the internet as long as it backs up your personal beliefs, without checking that information out first.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Gards said:

I see we've got another one joined the thread recently with the usual tinfoil hat nonsense....obviously won't say the username due to it being against the rules.

If the poster is on the thread you can name them.

However we know who it is.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I've read the opinion elsewhere this was planned as an announcement of further restrictions following the tsunami she predicted. 

I'll bet she's disappointed. 

Aye. Boris took her by surprise by not announcing any restrictions after Christmas.

She would've had this recall of parliament planned with a big list of restrictions to go further than Westminster.

Boris is playing Sturgeon and Drakeford like a fiddle :lol:

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Was it this "critical free thinking" of yours that came up with the statement "If you’ve had COVID once you cannot catch it again"?

Did you never think "Hang on, let me just have a look around the web to see if I can find any evidence for or against the assertion before I post it on an internet forum"?

To be brutally honest, it doesn't shed a particularly complimentary light on your critical free thinking if such thinking appears to just mean absorbing and regurgitating any old crap that you find on the internet as long as it backs up your personal beliefs, without checking that information out first.

:laugh:

Critical thinking = not mainstream sources.

Facebook, Youtube, 4chan, Breitbart, Qanon, Parler etc, however...

41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yeah, it probably is. Whether you catch Covid or get the jags, you're probably going to up your immunity, although said immunity may not last more than a few months at peak effectiveness, and is also susceptible to not being able to cope with emerging strains. Also, the immunity you get from the jags is more reliable than being infected, mostly due to the natural variability in the extent of infection, while meaning that you don't need to run the risk of the long-term effects of having been infected (for example, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/01/severe-covid-infection-doubles-chances-of-dying-in-following-year-study).

Anyhow, thanks, yes I'm doing fine, James. Having a very lazy few days. :) I haven't been following the thread much lately - have you got a cold?

I think its a cold. I have tested twice this week. Boxing day and yesterday and both negative. So maybe just a cold. Glad to hear your doing good ...  :) 

2 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

If science can't be questioned it's not science, it's propaganda!

Who said that science can't be questioned?

Do remember though that the proper way to question science is to use scientific method in order to furnish proof that *your* claim, or hypothesis, is correct. Questioning science should not involve shouting "I don't believe you, na na na na na!" and assuming that you in any way are providing a legitimate criticism of that science.

Just a week or so after France banned Brits from entering the country because of our high rates of covid infection, they...........yip you've guessed it, now have a higher infection rate than the UK, in fact France is now lurgy central in Europe with a recorded 208,000 cases yesterday/today.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211229-france-sets-daily-record-with-208-000-new-covid-19-cases-health-minister

When are they going to learn to keep their gobs shut.

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think its a cold. I have tested twice this week. Boxing day and yesterday and both negative. So maybe just a cold. Glad to hear your doing good ...  :) 

Glad to hear that. I hope you can shift it soon. I recommend numerous Hot Toddies. :)

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just a week or so after France banned Brits from entering the country because of our high rates of covid infection, they...........yip you've guessed it, now have a higher infection rate than the UK, in fact France is now lurgy central in Europe with a recorded 208,000 cases yesterday/today.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211229-france-sets-daily-record-with-208-000-new-covid-19-cases-health-minister

When are they going to learn to keep their gobs shut.

:glorious: Arrogant twats 

1 hour ago, theshed said:

So sturgeon came on tv today to tell us nothing new then?

What was the point in that🤷‍♀️ 

no point whatsoever. she was as well just putting a note up saying no change. Stuff ye. But then she wouldn’t get to be centre stage and let us all know she is our protector now. Bless. Only surprise was the dentist wasn’t there to join in the ‘look at me’ show

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:glorious: Arrogant twats 

It certainly shows that France's belief that they could somehow stem the Covid tide by restricting entries from the UK was very misguided, but "Glorious"? Your reaction to the fact that France is currently suffering from a huge number of Covid infections and that, due to probabilities, many people will as a consequence get ill and some will die from Covid there is "Glorious"?

And you are calling them arrogant twats as well.

:jj_facepalm:

Fecking hell, Nucky. I honestly thought you were far better than that.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ignoring all the Sturgeon comments, has any hack or MSP asked for evidence why crowds are not allowed at football or any other outside event, especially since England is keeping crowds as is (personally, I think the darts is the biggest FU but anyway)? Surely there would be evidence of "super spreading events" by now which would be gleefully jumped on to support the case? While absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, the policy looks more absurd each passing day.

The White Cockade
19 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

That is one of the main copy and paste phrases the tin hatters use

no ‘free thinking’ just regurgitating the same stuff over and over from tin hat central

51 minutes ago, Victorian said:

19 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

7D6EB082-1EFD-4108-938A-72E1D00EFEEA.jpeg

Any nationality is welcome in the clubs here. One might say we've "left the light on" for the rest of the Union who still want a life.

Edited by Taffin

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It certainly shows that France's belief that they could somehow stem the Covid tide by restricting entries from the UK was very misguided, but "Glorious"? Your reaction to the fact that France is currently suffering from a huge number of Covid infections and that, due to probabilities, many people will as a consequence get ill and some will die from Covid there is "Glorious"?

Good post, although to be fair to him, he is a wee bit hyperbolic at times and looks for reactions...

7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Ignoring all the Sturgeon comments, has any hack or MSP asked for evidence why crowds are not allowed at football or any other outside event, especially since England is keeping crowds as is (personally, I think the darts is the biggest FU but anyway)? Surely there would be evidence of "super spreading events" by now which would be gleefully jumped on to support the case? While absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, the policy looks more absurd each passing day.

she was asked in the questions and the Groundhog Day answer from memory was the ‘crowds getting there’ and ‘strain on public services’.

same expected garbage.  Just rinse, repeat for the next 3 months or so that she will shut it down or seriously restrict numbers attending.

there’s no evidence to stop these crowds. Just wanting to mess with peoples mental health and clubs / businesses futures.

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Calm doon Red :biggrin2: 

It's aimed at Macron and his cronies for playing politics with the virus.

Are you telling me that he didn't know what was coming before banning Brits?

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

100%.

:clap:

Let's not overlook those also severely impacted by blatant partisan politicking too. 

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Good post, although to be fair to him, he is a wee bit hyperbolic at times and looks for reactions...

Not at all Konrad. I just like to call a spade a spade 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You can make the same point re BJ, NS, MD et al.  They all knew what was coming.  The difference is in the way they have reacted to receiving the information.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm perfectly calm as usual, Nucky. I'm not the one however who appears to be revelling in a country and its people facing a health crisis, and wouldn't do so, no matter what I thought of that country or its government. And I don't think I'm exceptional in those beliefs either. Glorying in such a situation is, imo, abnormal and fairly abhorrent human behaviour, for which you seem to be showing no embarrassment whatsoever. I just didn't know you were like that, to be honest, which is one of the reasons I commented on it. A wee bit of dignity wouldn't go amiss.

Macron is an arse, without doubt, but that's no excuse.

chuck berrys hairline

I see all the SNP cucks are malding right now.

So what's the science behind keeping the darts crowds unrestricted and not football?

Why can't i sit at Almondvale stadium to watch something in the fresh air but can saunter through the Almondvale shopping centre enclosed maskless and in the vicinity of people eating with no restrictions? 

Stasi Sturgeon is full of shite she only picks what fits her narrative, playing politics with peoples mental health. Can tell she has no kids!

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I'm perfectly calm as usual, Nucky. I'm not the one however who appears to be revelling in a country and its people facing a health crisis, and wouldn't do so, no matter what I thought of that country or its government. And I don't think I'm exceptional in those beliefs either. Glorying in such a situation is, imo, abnormal and fairly abhorrent human behaviour, for which you seem to be showing no embarrassment whatsoever. I just didn't know you were like that, to be honest, which is one of the reasons I commented on it. A wee bit of dignity wouldn't go amiss.

Macron is an arse, without doubt, but that's no excuse.

We're all in the same boat regarding the spiraling cases and the whole thing has turned into a political sideshow.

Luckily omicron is looking like the thing that we have been waiting on to turn this thing into an endemic. IMO of course

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

To be fair the English and French have always hated each other.:10900:

3 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

I see all the SNP cucks are malding right now.

So what's the science behind keeping the darts crowds unrestricted and not football?

Why can't i sit at Almondvale stadium to watch something in the fresh air but can saunter through the Almondvale shopping centre enclosed maskless and in the vicinity of people eating with no restrictions? 

Stasi Sturgeon is full of shite she only picks what fits her narrative, playing politics with peoples mental health. Can tell she has no kids!

Not going to a football match, makes you mentally ill. And the Darts are in England, we'll see very soon what that costs them in the new year. Probably restrictions til March, while we're back up and running.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

we'll see very soon what that costs them in the new year. Probably restrictions til March, while we're back up and running.

Can't see England being restricted for a minute while Scotland are up and running. 

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Can't see England being restricted for a minute while Scotland are up and running. 

We're up and running as it is. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )