Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

27 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's been about 2 days since her last update. Nothing has changed since then. Can we not have 1 message and then leave it for a week to see what situation is?

Not enough people take it seriously so needs repeated 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

They should get better masks but a faulty mask is better than no mask

dont make excuses for the selfish ones - instead - help encourage everyone to wear them 

Oh shut up you patronising tart. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

What about the small (pun intended) problem that the vast majority of face mask used have holes in them that are enormous (relatively speaking) to the size of the bug particles and do no good at all in stopping them passing through the material. In either direction. 

Masks don't stop bug particles, they stop vapour droplets which bug particles are suspended in.

Bug particles :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Oh shut up you patronising tart. 

Because you don’t like what I say does not give you right to call me names 

23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Two days ago 3,177 cases, today 5951 cases. 

Two days ago probable Omicron cases 27.5%, today 47.4%

Precisely. In a fluid situation, the more updates are better. We've been in a bit of stable situation for quite a while, but we're most definitely not now. These are times when it is nice to be kept up-to-date with the situation as it develops.

Dennis Denuto

Nicola says the Omicron will be the dominant variant by tomorrow, is that not much slower than she predicted last Friday? I am sure it was to be Tuesday not Friday that it took over in Scotland. Is that important? I don't really know myself.

Nucky Thompson

Can anyone else taste Sturgeon's tears through the TV screen :smugger:

She's desperate to lock us down again, but has no money

1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Nicola says the Omicron will be the dominant variant by tomorrow, is that not much slower than she predicted last Friday? I am sure it was to be Tuesday not Friday that it took over in Scotland. Is that important? I don't really know myself.

Unimportant, imo. I would have been hesitant myself to place a time scale on the time to dominance of omicron given the fluidity of the situation. "Within the next week or so" would have done fine.

highlandjambo3
49 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I had surgery in the summer which involved cutting round the ear lobe and up the front. 

I couldn't wear a mask for a bit, I still shouldn't really, they're trying to pull my ear open again.

Anyhoo, the worst thing about it was being approached by unmasked gobshites in the supermarket who wanted to share how clever they were pretending to have a condition too.

What about one of those visor types with the spongy band around your head, would that not suit you more…………

You could always write a wee note on the front using signboard chalk pens to tell others to fek right off as well…..nosy barstewards 😁

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Unimportant, imo. I would have been hesitant myself to place a time scale on the time to dominance of omicron given the fluidity of the situation. "Within the next week or so" would have done fine.

It just looks like it is a little bit slower than they first thought, everything in our favour rather than the virus is good news surely?

Although I don't think us in the public have all the information we may need to make a judgement on this

1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It just looks like it is a little bit slower than they first thought, everything in our favour rather than the virus is good news surely?

Although I don't think us in the public have all the information we may need to make a judgement on this

Might make people more complacent though so not a good idea 

3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

What about one of those visor types with the spongy band around your head, would that not suit you more…………

You could always write a wee note on the front using signboard chalk pens to tell others to fek right off as well…..nosy barstewards 😁

or stick an angry mouth on it to show your disdain

5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Slower by a few days. Makes no difference, imo, in the grand scheme of things, given how quickly it has become the dominant strain.

5 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Might make people more complacent though so not a good idea 

It won't make a blind bit of difference, imo. Whatever our ways are, we're all more or less set in them now.

Are you saying that it's not a good idea to keep us informed of what's happening?

manaliveits105
15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

avoiding answering questions except her own party pre primed ones 

the question about why 2013 Scotland recycling targets still not met yet ? - answer whataboot the rest of the UK ha ha ?? .

she is a clown .

Dennis Denuto
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Slower by a few days. Makes no difference, imo, in the grand scheme of things, given how quickly it has become the dominant strain.

Am I right in saying they haven't published the S drop out number for every day? 

For me who likes to check the stats myself it would be nice to see, maybe not nice but interesting

Just now, Taffin said:

Sturgeon:

"Lives again are at risk here, livelihoods are at risk and the NHS is at risk

Not according to the alert level it isn't.

Need to stop being so pedantic 

it is at risk if people don’t start following rules to stem the spread 

Just if you're going to Leith Community Treatment Centre mobbed today with big queues. Don't have enough vaccinators as sent somewhere else.

Anyway I know this place and went in from Bonnington Road where I would usually go in. No signs where to go but someone said to go to Reception. Got into the system and got jags. Only as I left did I realise the massive queue on the other side of building. 

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Need to stop being so pedantic 

it is at risk if people don’t start following rules to stem the spread 

I don't make the rules. I just follow them. Until the alert level says so, I won't believe there is a risk to the NHS. I'll trust the experts, not someone on a message board, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Am I right in saying they haven't published the S drop out number for every day? 

For me who likes to check the stats myself it would be nice to see, maybe not nice but interesting

No idea, Dennis. Perhaps @Footballfirst will know.

Came across these interesting articles though:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-ukhsa-update-on-omicron-risk-assessment-and-s-gene-target-failure/

https://post.parliament.uk/covid-19-the-omicron-variant/

Dennis Denuto
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't make the rules. I just follow them. Until the alert level says so, I won't believe there is a risk to the NHS. I'll trust the experts, not someone on a message board, thanks.

I hate the whole protect the NHS/The NHS is in danger crap - it isn't about saving the NHS, it is about having the best possible outcomes for sick people and that happens when fewer people have Covid at the same time - so far anyway.

It is the job of government to protect the NHS.

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

From the latest PHS weekly statistical report

1528272524_SGene.JPG.4688f396d53b0c637ec8c72571c182b8.JPG

Since that publication, I've noted another PHS report at 27.5% on 14 Dec, and now today's 45.4% at FMQs.

37 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I tried one but I do a physical job, they just steam up. It's not that big a deal any more, I don't worry about it

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Since that publication, I've noted another PHS report at 27.5% on 14 Dec, and now today's 45.4% at FMQs.

👍

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Trust the nhs staff and first minister who are far more qualified to know 

4 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It is the job of the NHS to protect us!

8 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I hate the whole protect the NHS/The NHS is in danger crap - it isn't about saving the NHS, it is about having the best possible outcomes for sick people and that happens when fewer people have Covid at the same time - so far anyway.

Completely agree. Right now, they're predicting it's breakdown whilst abdicating any responsibility to stop it happening. They're having their cake and eating it too.

I've a certain opinion on it all, but if one takes what they're saying at face value then they need to act, not dither and play around the edges.

I would also add that I'd expect nothing else from the Tories and given they won the public vote, maybe we're just getting exactly what we asked for 🤷🏻‍♂️

😂😂😂

The alert levels are there for a reason and should be followed. Right now it advises there is pressure on the NHS but it's not at risk. Please follow the rules, people doing what they want is harming our efforts.

Edited by Taffin

51 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Precisely. In a fluid situation, the more updates are better. We've been in a bit of stable situation for quite a while, but we're most definitely not now. These are times when it is nice to be kept up-to-date with the situation as it develops.

Actually I'd argue that clear, consistent, simple and logical messaging was the answer rather than a four nation pissing up a wall competition that is breeding confusion. Only so many instructions one can keep up with.

Dennis Denuto

What specific Qualification does the First Minister have that allows her to know what the pressures on the NHS are? and what ones is Taffin lacking?

2 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Actually I'd argue that clear, consistent, simple and logical messaging was the answer rather than a four nation pissing up a wall competition that is breeding confusion. Only so many instructions one can keep up with.

I'd disagree with the "pissing up a wall competition" but I know you take a political slant on things, JJ.

For me, it's simple. If you're in Scotland, you listen to the Scottish advice, if you're in England, you listen to the English advice, etc. I just ignore everything Westminster says on this, not on political grounds, but because I live in Scotland, and health is devolved.

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Is there confusion though? The vast majority of people know what the rules are in their area and who sets them, it is only the people who move between areas, maybe even only those who move around infrequently, that are confused.

I would argue that the pandemic in many ways has been good for devolution and educated many on how it actually works/doesn't work.  I get this may not be a popular opinion.

14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I hope the folk who were scoffing at this a couple of weeks ago and questioning why restrictions were being talked about when there was only a handful of cases are now beginning to understand. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Steak said:

She loves a conference after a Boris conference. Boris will be out tomorrow to take the lead again

:4_1_72:

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Every Covid surge puts the Independence referendum back. 

She committed to holding one soon. 

Edited by Mikey1874

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I hope the folk who were scoffing at this a couple of weeks ago and questioning why restrictions were being talked about when there was only a handful of cases are now beginning to understand. 

Not a chance.  Just wait for testing supply to be battered by demand.  Daily case counts only showing positive cases of those able to access a test and lots going undetected.  

On 14/12/2021 at 23:32, Ked said:

I will be honest here.

I wear a mask in the concourse the toilets and everywhere until I sit in my seat.

And it makes feel stupid.

I do it out of respect.

I wear mask in shop out of respect.

I'm not convinced of the science but I do it.

I do it out of respect to shop workers

Those that serve bovril 

Those that drive buses.

I've many doubts about government and their intentions .

But let's show respect to folk our side of the street just in case.

If nothing else.

Great post. Fully agree.

been here before
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

For those who still don’t know if it’s helpful to wear a mask - and judging by crowds at tynecastle, there are still alot 

B93CB2E7-30E6-4756-8D0C-A7D5FB988183.jpeg

What about people who like getting peed on?

Im obviously asking for a friend here.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not a chance.  Just wait for testing supply to be battered by demand.  Daily case counts only showing positive cases of those able to access a test and lots going undetected.  

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of LFT's in Scotland. My wife got offered another box yesterday when she took my daughter for yet another PCR at Drumbrae. 

The PCR results seem to be arriving much quicker now, negative result back at 5.30am this morning

On 14/12/2021 at 23:32, Ked said:

I will be honest here.

I wear a mask in the concourse the toilets and everywhere until I sit in my seat.

And it makes feel stupid.

I do it out of respect.

I wear mask in shop out of respect.

I'm not convinced of the science but I do it.

I do it out of respect to shop workers

Those that serve bovril 

Those that drive buses.

I've many doubts about government and their intentions .

But let's show respect to folk our side of the street just in case.

If nothing else.

Well said and thanks for the support 

Malinga the Swinga

I believe the flu Jag now not being offered at same time as booster to speed up program. In addition, the Corn Exchange and EICC will be getting used for booster program.

Seems fair enough.

28 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Some are too selfish to understand too

35 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

What specific Qualification does the First Minister have that allows her to know what the pressures on the NHS are? and what ones is Taffin lacking?

She is advised by top scientists and nhs staff

compared to most on here advised by nonesense 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Cheers.

I'm looking for the scientific studies that say mask wearing "is a waste of time" as it's coming up for 3 years of Covid now and I'm still waiting to see these claims substantiated. 

2 years not 3 at least as far as most of the world is concerned. And surely the burden of truth lies with the mask proponents. I haven't seen anything much of  evidence that contradicts the WHO original view. 

Nucky Thompson

Another 60k tests done in Scotland yesterday might explain the higher positive cases. 10.8%

18 deaths.  531 in hospital with 34 in ICU

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

So no actual qualifications for what you were talking about then.

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

"Following advice from the UK Health Security Agency and in the light of the rapid increase in Omicron cases, the UK Chief Medical Officers and NHS England National Medical Director have recommended to ministers that the UK COVID-19 alert level should increase from Level 3 to Level 4." 

Someone better let them know that the CMOs and the NHS National Medical Director don't know what they're talking about. The women advised by a dentist and Jambo 4 Ever know better...

15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of LFT's in Scotland. My wife got offered another box yesterday when she took my daughter for yet another PCR at Drumbrae. 

The PCR results seem to be arriving much quicker now, negative result back at 5.30am this morning

We'll see how supply copes with the bigger numbers.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )