Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

13 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Interesting.    I think we should definitely pay attention to published findings of virology experts across the world, alongside commentary from senior medics involved in hospitalisations in those countries.    The SA detection suggests that low-vaccine populations are a likely breeding ground for variants - which in turn gives a lot of weight to the "we're not safe until everyone is safe" comment from the WHO  

So if the SA doctor is right, the Omicron variant may have thrown up a real conundrum - large number of  spike mutations (which caused the worldwide concern), significantly easier to transmit, BUT  significantly milder symptoms among the vast majority of vaxed folk who have become infected with it.

It should be noted that no-one yet knows what Omicron   Long-Covid looks like among vaxed folk.   It might turn out to be none at all...... or a mild short-term condition..... or maybe a complete b*astard  of a disability.   ? 

Leaving the long-covid outcome aside for now - if Omicron  can produce 2  "inconsistent" outcomes,  surely it's possible (maybe even likely) that future variants will emerge which can produce 2 "consistent" outcomes ? In other words, rapid  transmission and serious symptoms.   

Seems to me that future efficacy & widely distributed big volumes of vaccines & boosters are key to the ability of countries  to "live with Covid" for years/decades to come.

Good post.  One or two thoughts in there in line with what I was musing myself.  

We'll just need to stand by and let the scientists do their work.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I just added another night out to the already busy schedule. Looking forward to it. 

Might as well make the most of the time we have left I suppose 😭

Just now, jonesy said:

Anything to stick it to Wee Elsie McCrankie and her merry band of tartan terrorists, Al.

Let me know where you’ll be sitting for the Ross County game on the 26th and I’ll let you have nip from my hip flask as a token of goodwill.

Missing that one but will be there on the 29th. Nothing too peaty please 🥃👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tbf we've just set a record number of cases and it's still over 20k short of what was predicted in September as being not only imminent, but certain.

I hope they have overestimated. But I see little sign of that.

Nucky Thompson

Same here jonesy, just booked a Christmas lunch in town on Christmas Eve. There was no vacancies a month ago :thumbsup:

I might even go down to the racing again on Monday.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Chinese flu v 80 shilling and Islay malts.

Only one winner in that fight to the death, and it ain’t Xi’s Bat Formula.

If 80shilling doesn’t kill Covid then nothing will 😄👍🏻

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Ah but what Islay malts are we talking about. Spend many a day on the island and actually played for Portnahaven in the local Derby v Port Charlotte. 

Can't think of a distillery I haven't been to on Islay.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

100%. I'm tired of it too but I'm also tired of the belligerence of people who will not listen, will not do the right thing and think they know better. 

Meanwhile we're fast approaching the third year of this with no end in sight. 

Well said. 

Dennis Reynolds

Novavax have just published their phase III data. Superb performance. Another vaccine to be made available soon.

"PREVENT-19 achieved its endpoint of efficacy in preventing polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-confirmed, symptomatic mild, moderate or severe COVID-19 with onset at least 7 days after the second dose. The trial demonstrated 100% protection against moderate and severe disease, 93.2% efficacy against the predominantly circulating variants of concern and variants of interest, and 90.4% efficacy against COVID-19 of any severity during the time period evaluated. "

Only 14 cases of Covid in over 19,000 vaccine recipients. Pretty decent.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Is that not a good thing?

It's all about the self isolation impact now because omicron might be milder :wattie:

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Alex Kintner said:

If 80shilling doesn’t kill Covid then nothing will 😄👍🏻

Gargle twice an hour with it and et voila 😆 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

But can 80 shilling and Islay malts out-battle a snap lockdown? 

1 minute ago, LMc said:

Novavax have just published their phase III data. Superb performance. Another vaccine to be made available soon.

"PREVENT-19 achieved its endpoint of efficacy in preventing polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-confirmed, symptomatic mild, moderate or severe COVID-19 with onset at least 7 days after the second dose. The trial demonstrated 100% protection against moderate and severe disease, 93.2% efficacy against the predominantly circulating variants of concern and variants of interest, and 90.4% efficacy against COVID-19 of any severity during the time period evaluated. "

Only 14 cases of Covid in over 19,000 vaccine recipients. Pretty decent.

Great news and sounds like the one to get. 👍

Cairneyhill Jambo
7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Ah but what Islay malts are we talking about. Spend many a day on the island and actually played for Portnahaven in the local Derby v Port Charlotte. 

Can't think of a distillery I haven't been to on Islay.

Kilchoman Distillery? 😎

39 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I just added another night out to the already busy schedule. Looking forward to it. 

I can’t wait for mine on Friday . Saturday is cancelled though as venue has had too many cancellations but Heading out that night too . Unsure if it’s worth taking a LfT as apparently they are shit 

23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Lockdowns are so 2020, dear Taff. Wouldn’t be caught dead in one now. You’ll be welcome to the KB poster night at the Southside speakeasy in case the lunatics running the asylum actually decide to close down the watering holes again.

First prize in the pub quiz is a match worn Jambo in Hamilton face mask. Second place wins an autographed collection of daily stat counts from red jambo. Booby prize is a selection of canned good from James’ cupboard. Boris is hosting. 

😂😂

The booby prize might end up valuable if we see a return to the days of the great tinned bean shortages of 2020.

43 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Might as well make the most of the time we have left I suppose 😭

Good attitude . That’s what I’m doing . Had to confirm Xmas day menu earlier too for restaurant we are heading To . Busy busy 

40 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Same here jonesy, just booked a Christmas lunch in town on Christmas Eve. There was no vacancies a month ago :thumbsup:

I might even go down to the racing again on Monday.

Sounds great 

42 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Anything to stick it to Wee Elsie McCrankie and her merry band of tartan terrorists, Al.

Let me know where you’ll be sitting for the Ross County game on the 26th and I’ll let you have nip from my hip flask as a token of goodwill.

We are going to that if it’s still on ! 

30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Lockdowns are so 2020, dear Taff. Wouldn’t be caught dead in one now. You’ll be welcome to the KB poster night at the Southside speakeasy in case the lunatics running the asylum actually decide to close down the watering holes again.

First prize in the pub quiz is a match worn Jambo in Hamilton face mask. Second place wins an autographed collection of daily stat counts from red jambo. Booby prize is a selection of canned good from James’ cupboard. Boris is hosting. 

😂😂😂😂 I hardly have any tinned foods  only . Got Sweet corn though ?  

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

😂😂

The booby prize might end up valuable if we see a return to the days of the great tinned bean shortages of 2020.

Well I’m. One of the only people I know who hates beans ! Boak 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

😂😂😂😂 I hardly have any tinned foods  only . Got Sweet corn though ?  

Well I’m. One of the only people I know who hates beans ! Boak 

In that case it truly is a booby prize. I've no time for sweet corn whatsoever.

Bring on the watch-worn face mask instead; "Not good, you twit".

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

In that case it truly is a booby prize. I've no time for sweet corn whatsoever.

Bring on the watch-worn face mask instead; "Not good, you twit".

👍

5DFBF46A-BC7E-4026-9DAB-CFD6AC9EDED4.gif

highlandjambo3
17 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

and here is my response taken from BBC comments.

• Cases in South Africa 5 weeks into Omicron are 96% less severe than the Delta wave. This is early data but they are seeing encouraging signs that vaccinated, unvaccinated, old, young, those with comorbidity's are having mild disease.

You know what, we’ve been driven by negative media spins for so long it appears part of what we accept now.  News is bad news, it’s always bad news, news programs were only ever designed to spout negativity (truth or spin) to tell us about all the doom we are about to face and all the bad things that are about to happen.  But hay ho we get a wee 10 second clip about a rescued puppy at the end of the news to cheer us all up.  Ffs, it’s no wonder that people with challenged issues (many different types) are chucking themselves off cliffs……media can gtf with all this.  Time and time again we see “new” experts getting their 5 minutes of fame on tv spouting their “what if” pish.

I very much put my faith in science and, so far there is no indication that this “wave” will flatten up.

Our leaders can gtf as well, they’re only interested in sniping at each other.

It's all very well the daily confirmed cases being updated with re-infections but the testing supply is already showing stress.  Pretty soon there wont be the capacity to test and the figures will be under reported.

8 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Kilchoman Distillery? 😎

I've been to them all, I'm even claiming Ardnahoe as it was being built when I was there but I still went to their little visitors centre.

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Kilchoman Distillery? 😎

Not only been there for drink and lunch, it was the last time I went Horse Riding. Big thing, think 18.5 hands, and I needed step, then pushed off wall to get on.

Great days in Islay trecking from Kilchoman down to clear unspoiled beaches.

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You know what, we’ve been driven by negative media spins for so long it appears part of what we accept now.  News is bad news, it’s always bad news, news programs were only ever designed to spout negativity (truth or spin) to tell us about all the doom we are about to face and all the bad things that are about to happen.  But hay ho we get a wee 10 second clip about a rescued puppy at the end of the news to cheer us all up.  Ffs, it’s no wonder that people with challenged issues (many different types) are chucking themselves off cliffs……media can gtf with all this.  Time and time again we see “new” experts getting their 5 minutes of fame on tv spouting their “what if” pish.

I very much put my faith in science and, so far there is no indication that this “wave” will flatten up.

Our leaders can gtf as well, they’re only interested in sniping at each other.

Well said 👍

19 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Away man. We need more bad news, more re-infection figures and more isolation numbers instead of this positive news your posting.

Unhelpful.  Everybody wants good news.

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Robert ****ing Peston doesnt

He’s depressing , his voice just drones on and on 😂

Twitter is he’ll at times 

These two peoples reaction to the new variant about sums it up

The Scottish SNP supporter one clearly doesn’t work . The other one has got the fear very very bad . 

FD00AFCF-1177-4D30-BE5B-9F4BB66D0AEB.jpeg

9383EB66-FB66-4DAE-AE57-CC9A594372AF.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

51 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

looks like wise choice as France just banned uk travelers. 

Nothing changed on UK government website yet. Good to see it's not just our leaders dragging their feet and flipping and flopping 😂

11 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This

too many people moan about doing something simple like wearing a mask properly too 

There was a meme posted in this thread stating that people that wear a mask "were too scared to live" or something similar. How did we get to a point where such a simple and non-invasive public health measure has become divisive and something to be mocked?

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'd suggest that the removal of such folks from general circulation is one of the positives of the pandemic.

Self removal is good . Forced removal of the vast majority is not . I can understand the 62 yo the anxiety about his/ her health and at least she was respectful and not saying “ the unvaccinated “ but she / him should note that vaccinated people can get covid and pass it on . Her / him staying home isolated is also bad for her / his mental health . Tragic case really . The other one just seems a waster . 

1 minute ago, Bindy Badgy said:

There was a meme posted in this thread stating that people that wear a mask "were too scared to live" or something similar. How did we get to a point where such a simple and non-invasive public health measure has become divisive and something to be mocked?

Ridiculous 

you only have to look at match days at tynecastle - when Scott Wilson says over the tannoy to please wear your mask when moving around the stadium, yet hardly anyone has the decency to wear one - absolutely shocking and the government officials are now aware of this 

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Ridiculous 

you only have to look at match days at tynecastle - when Scott Wilson says over the tannoy to please wear your mask when moving around the stadium, yet hardly anyone has the decency to wear one - absolutely shocking and the government officials are now aware of this 

I’ve noticed that too . I think that is sending a message to the big wigs in Govt really . People power and all ! 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve noticed that too . I think that is sending a message to the big wigs in Govt really . People power and all ! 

They won’t be happy and numbers will be restricted again if we’re not careful 

It's pathetic though. 

I'm not in favour of mass restrictions unless they're necessary but in the scheme of things what's the problem in putting a bit of cloth on?

To stick it to the man? Aye that really shows them.

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I think they'll do it anyway but this isn't helping. 

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Yes Nicola is hovering over football stadiums now I think . Think she is waiting until Celtic Win the cup on Sunday first before she gets her mits on footie supporters 

1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It's pathetic though. 

I'm not in favour of mass restrictions unless they're necessary but in the scheme of things what's the problem in putting a bit of cloth on?

To stick it to the man? Aye that really shows them.

Well said

too many just want to go against authority 

They disregard what Scott Wilson is asking too - Pathetic behaviour from pathetic people 

Yes Nicola is hovering over football stadiums now I think . Think she is waiting until Celtic Win the cup on Sunday first before she gets her mits on footie supporters 

And the twits that refuse to wear a mask at games will be first to moan about it no doubt

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )