Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I've seen this in action and the only conclusion I can draw is that it's just plain old fashioned badness and quite possibly a challenge thrown down to anyone to dare to open a window.  If it wasn't this it would be some other piece of sociopathic aggression.

One of my pet hates whilst travelling on the bus ! Arghh even before covid . They always seem to slam it shut too and passengers nearly jump out their skin . It’s a case of “ look at me I’m a hard nut 🥜 , who’s got a problem ! 

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I suspect this will be the official verdict in a few weeks. This newly discovered variant and the interim changes to restrictions may have come at a timely moment to boost the vaccine drive.

Yep !

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

This is interesting as nowhere near those numbers wear masks in shops. So either it's bollocks, or people aren't doing themselves what the want others forced to do despite there being nothing to stop them wearing them.

Whilst people are weird, in more inclined to say it's not a very representative sample of the English population as a whole.

I thought that survey was a load of crap too  there are more honest surveys on “ family fortunes “ really 😂

Edited by JamesM48

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I suspect this will be the official verdict in a few weeks. This newly discovered variant and the interim changes to restrictions may have come at a timely moment to boost the vaccine drive.

2nd doses seem to be a bit higher today and there were 450,000 boosters given

joondalupjambo
7 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

Respect is a two way street.

If you expect people to respect the rules then they should at least be based on some faint logic that they are effective and serve a purpose which the current rules in pubs do not.

Rather than have rules requiring and encouraging people to wear the most effective masks in environments they can be wore effectively in the Scottish Government policy is based on the lowest common denominator and having people wear the shittiest masks possible in as many indoor environments as possible.

I agree about respecting a policy that is effective however my point, and that of others is as this chat developed is a lot of folk are basing their decisions on political views rather than health guidance.  You also make a good point about the effectiveness and quality of face coverings but that is another level of debate and takes it all even deeper.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

This is interesting as nowhere near those numbers wear masks in shops. So either it's bollocks, or people aren't doing themselves what the want others forced to do despite there being nothing to stop them wearing them.

Whilst people are weird, in more inclined to say it's not a very representative sample of the English population as a whole.

I live in the middle of the central belt, an overwhelming majority wear masks in shops from what I've seen. I suppose there'll be quite a lot of regional variation

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I live in the middle of the central belt, an overwhelming majority wear masks in shops from what I've seen. I suppose there'll be quite a lot of regional variation

I'd say it's about <20% now from my experience in the midlands.

It's also the rules to wear on in the central belt? (Assuming you mean Scotland)

Maybe all the English are wearing them and it's the 'jocks' like me and other foreign nationals who aren't.

Edited by Taffin

7 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I agree about respecting a policy that is effective however my point, and that of others is as this chat developed is a lot of folk are basing their decisions on political views rather than health guidance.  You also make a good point about the effectiveness and quality of face coverings but that is another level of debate and takes it all even deeper.

To be honest I ignored the part about you being able to walk in to a pub and divine what people's political leanings are by looking at them.

Edited by Rocco_Jambo

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

To be honest I ignored the part about you being able to walk in to a pub and divine what people's political leanings are by looking at them.

Not sure if you know the pub or where it is😀😀

Honestly, and I appreciate it is shallow but I do not usually take such a casual view of lifestyles or people as such but if you go into Kay's you might have a view one way or another as well😀👍

After having being brought up in that area it is a renowned Tory HQ.

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'd say it's about <20% now from my experience in the midlands.

It's also the rules to wear on in the central belt? (Assuming you mean Scotland)

Maybe all the English are wearing them and it's the 'jocks' like me and other foreign nationals who aren't.

Fair enough I thought you were in Edinburgh, I'm with you now

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Fair enough I thought you were in Edinburgh, I'm with you now

No worries, I should have explained that...when it was mandatory it was easily up in those numbers you're experiencing but it's slowly declined to hardly any now. I'm not actually sure where their samples are based though either as it references 'English' people which of course excludes fair whack of people who live there. 

I chucked all masks (mainly as they were filthy) so it'll be online shopping for me until they realise (hopefully) that omicron isn't too much to worry about. 🤞🤞

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep politics just appears to be seen by many as the way of which rules and/or guidance you follow.  I was in Kay's Bar before the game yesterday, a real old fashioned bar in the New Town and a Tory stronghold for sure.  Not a mask or face covering in sight.  I walked in wearing one, got served sat down and took it off, put in on when I went to the loo.  Folk were looking at me as if I was from another planet.  Perhaps thought oh no poor man from an estate in our midst!!  Every time the door opened another yahoo walked in mask less, hello Roger says the bar man (owner to be precise) usual, hello Jasper, hello Portcia etc etc.  😄😄

Now this is not post about the rights or wrong or other wise of wearing a face covering.  I think in pubs it is very hard to put forward a case for wearing them when what you can do, and not do is so minimal in the benefits.  However what I do think is that out of respect of the health rules and guidance, as well as other people patrons should just do the right thing regardless of how they individually feel.  In Kay's it was typical, I do not believe in it, the SNP are not telling me what to do and I do not care so not doing it.

Mind you to be honest I was very concerned about them because obviously I have it all wrong and all the non face covering types were exempt.  They were all clearly ill and suffering from something so hope that they all look after themselves and get better soon😄😄

It will be interesting to see how they react now that Boris and the party have said masks back again, I will probably go back in before the next home game and see the place awash with them.

We do what we want! We do what we want! Us yahoo's do what we want! 

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Dutch authorities have said that 13 out of the 61 travellers who had come on flights from SA have the new variant.

Kind of surprised that so many on the plane had any kind of Covid - clearly any pre travel testing is a farce.

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Kind of surprised that so many on the plane had any kind of Covid - clearly any pre travel testing is a farce.

13 out of the 61 who tested positive for Covid had new variant.  Mad.  Agree though testing should have stopped any positives getting on the flight.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Footballfirst

It is a pre requisite for travellers coming into the Netherlands from a high or very high risk country outside the EU/Schengen area to produce a negative test result before travel (LFT within 24 hours or PCR within 48 hours).

The testing regime in SA has to be the one that is failing.  That fact that so many positives were picked up at Schipol gives some assurance that the Dutch authorities were rigorous in their checks of those arriving from SA.

Edited by Footballfirst

3 hours ago, GBJambo said:

According to the doctor that discovered the new variant. The symptoms are extremely mild. No need to panic. 

No it's not its the most deadly one ever. You need to be triple vaxxed or your dead.

10 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Maybe we should wait  and see what happens before the toys are oot the pram .

For some, toys are in hand and arm pulled back as soon as Nicola Sturgeon opens her mouth. She lives rent free in their heads. She has a wee brush she uses to push out their tears and snotters.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

So now that Boris has mandated it and Nicola hasn't, you're able to apply some context to mask wearing? Ffs James man

nevermind-gotta-go.gif

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

I’d say about 90%ish in West Lothian

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

I’d say about 90%ish in West Lothian

I would even wear a mask in west Lothian to keep the smell of pish out

9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I would even wear a mask in west Lothian to keep the smell of pish out

You pish yourself when you visit West Lothian?

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

You pish yourself when you visit West Lothian?

Aye, got to fit in with the locals :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Careful, if you shit yourself they'll keep you.

One of us, one of us, one of us

Nucky Thompson

ITN at it again.

The UK government have brought in a 'raft' of restrictions and Christmas is not cancelled..... for now

Feck off 

13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

ftfy

😂

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

so would you if you saw miss west lothian

👇🏻

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Miss Bathgate surely makes up for it

Beautiful-Isla-Fisher-Wallpaper.jpg?resi

❤️

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Wearing a Rangers or Celtic top would have the same effect and save the damp breeks 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Taffin said:

THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HERE!!!!!

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

ITN at it again.

The UK government have brought in a 'raft' of restrictions and Christmas is not cancelled..... for now

Feck off 

I tend to ignore the telly news really . Only news I do watch is stv news for local news and football . They will be up to 90 the morrow night mind you as they are real drama queens about covid as well as the BBC ! 

7 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, that was the mistake last year too. Mandating "face coverings " instead of proper medical grade masks - as Germany did - smacked more of social engineering than any medical or scientific reasoning. 

It's been a difficult couple of years for everyone.

After all the sacrifices people have made so far having to wear a tacky and tasteless baby blue coloured mask that is impossible to colour coordinate with their favourite red suit is asking far too much.

5 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

After all the sacrifices people have made so far having to wear a tacky and tasteless baby blue coloured mask that is impossible to colour coordinate with their favourite red suit is asking far too much.

Oh come on they look no bad if you have baby blue eyes to go with them ! 

13 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

The BMA have called for mask wearing rules to be extended to all public indoor and closed settings.  They haven't said (AFAIK) whether that should involve medical-grade masks.

Two different recent stories from two different countries, both involving English people.

I was in a supermarket queue in Tenerife the week before last, when a man walked in without a mask.  The checkout lady told him to mask up or leave - politely, but firmly and by no means a request.  He replied, with an English accent, to say he'd forgotten a mask and asking if he could buy one.  She said "you'll have to leave and get one somewhere else", and pointed to the exit, and he left.  No messing from the checkout lady, but not something she should have to put up with unless she's getting paid a bit more than she probably is.

I was in a café in Dublin city centre where I'm kind known to the staff one of the days last week - masked up and ordering a takeaway.  The barista told me that the previous day, an English person had arrived in without a mask.  He told this person customers had to wear masks while queuing to order, to which they replied "I have one with me, but I don't really need to wear it, do I?".  The barista insisted, and the person donned a mask, but not before grumbling that the café was being very officious, and not at all like the laid-back Irish vibe they were expecting.  When they ordered something to have in the café, the barista asked if they were vaccinated (a legal requirement to eat indoors here).  The person said they were, and the barista asked to see proof of vaccination, whereupon there was a repeat performance of complaining about officiousness and wondering whatever happened to the relaxed Irish, before the vaccine cert was produced.  I nearly wouldn't bother with the second story, except for the fact that the person was really well-known (no names, sorry).

Net point; if people travel to another country and they know what the rules are, can't they just shut the **** up with the performances and do what they're asked?

52 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I tend to ignore the telly news really . Only news I do watch is stv news for local news and football . They will be up to 90 the morrow night mind you as they are real drama queens about covid as well as the BBC ! 

Up to 90?

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

ITN at it again.

Feck off 

What is this "saving Christmas " you are dribbling about?

:whistling:

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The BMA have called for mask wearing rules to be extended to all public indoor and closed settings.  They haven't said (AFAIK) whether that should involve medical-grade masks.

Two different recent stories from two different countries, both involving English people.

I was in a supermarket queue in Tenerife the week before last, when a man walked in without a mask.  The checkout lady told him to mask up or leave - politely, but firmly and by no means a request.  He replied, with an English accent, to say he'd forgotten a mask and asking if he could buy one.  She said "you'll have to leave and get one somewhere else", and pointed to the exit, and he left.  No messing from the checkout lady, but not something she should have to put up with unless she's getting paid a bit more than she probably is.

This seems counter-intuitive. They want people to wear masks but won't let them in to buy them, despite presumably selling them. Somewhere has to be the place that lets you in took buy one.

Really they should just be available foc upon entry but that's a slightly different topic.

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I was in a café in Dublin city centre where I'm kind known to the staff one of the days last week - masked up and ordering a takeaway.  The barista told me that the previous day, an English person had arrived in without a mask.  He told this person customers had to wear masks while queuing to order, to which they replied "I have one with me, but I don't really need to wear it, do I?".  The barista insisted, and the person donned a mask, but not before grumbling that the café was being very officious, and not at all like the laid-back Irish vibe they were expecting.  When they ordered something to have in the café, the barista asked if they were vaccinated (a legal requirement to eat indoors here).  The person said they were, and the barista asked to see proof of vaccination, whereupon there was a repeat performance of complaining about officiousness and wondering whatever happened to the relaxed Irish, before the vaccine cert was produced.  I nearly wouldn't bother with the second story, except for the fact that the person was really well-known (no names, sorry).

Net point; if people travel to another country and they know what the rules are, can't they just shut the **** up with the performances and do what they're asked?

A couple of the people who flew into the Netherlands from South Africa have been arrested off a flight to Spain after escaping hotel quarantine.  Not yet known if they were tested positive.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A couple of the people who flew into the Netherlands from South Africa have been arrested off a flight to Spain after escaping hotel quarantine.  Not yet known if they were tested positive.

Put them in a cell, that will stop them from escaping

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Put them in a cell, that will stop them from escaping

Soon enough.  It's a criminal offence in the Netherlands.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic