Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

First European case of the new variant detected in Belgium.

Bring it on then.  We might as well know what we're dealing with sooner.  Border control was never going to make a blind bit of difference.  

Dennis Denuto
34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Bring it on then.  We might as well know what we're dealing with sooner.  Border control was never going to make a blind bit of difference.  

It is likely here already, it will then spread if it is going to be the one that takes over.

I am glad I am vaccinated and boostered up to deal with it.

5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It is likely here already, it will then spread if it is going to be the one that takes over.

Yep.  Wouldn't rule out it being identified here today or at the weekend.  

3 weeks to wait until booster.  :[

1 hour ago, Dennis Denuto said:

More than likely, as it's probably already to late to try and stop it coming in.

The case in Belgium is in a traveller who came to Belgium from Egypt on the 11 November, but and here's the crucial bit, they didn't develop symptoms until the 22 November, so there could be an 11 day window where they were spreading it about totally unaware they had this new variant, then again they might have only been infected a day or two before the 22nd, but if that was the case then there would have to be more cases in Belgium than they the one they have found today.

Rupert Pupkin

Hallelujah a new (maybe) deadly variant just in time for Christmas, just like last year...

Covid sure knows what it’s doing...

Only yesterday Sky News were reporting that scientists weren’t overly concerned about it.. What changed..? 

So done with this .

26 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Hallelujah a new (maybe) deadly variant just in time for Christmas, just like last year...

Covid sure knows what it’s doing...

Only yesterday Sky News were reporting that scientists weren’t overly concerned about it.. What changed..? 

So done with this .

The MSM are scum. 

Trying to drum up fear and as usual, folk will lap it up meanwhile forgetting to focus on the gain of function research that created and released the virus. 

It'll no doubt be another new varient with a 99%+ chance of surviving if you catch it. 

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Has Elsie closed the borders yet ?

No but Mark my words she will be make a “ statement “ about it at the parliament next week ! 

19 minutes ago, indianajones said:

The MSM are scum. 

Trying to drum up fear and as usual, folk will lap it up meanwhile forgetting to focus on the gain of function research that created and released the virus. 

It'll no doubt be another new varient with a 99%+ chance of surviving if you catch it. 

They really are . Yes it’s 99% plus chance of survival apparently . Pretty good odds really . 

This is at least the second instance of a variant of concern developing in a profoundly immuno-compromised person who has experienced a protracted infection.  Virus having the opportunity to go into reproductive overdrive in a single host.  There's nothing particularly remarkable about that,  but this must have happened countless times with similarly immuno-compromised people and the influenza virus.  There must be a reason why similar poly-mutations haven't caused a similarly concerning variant of flu.

Anyone seen anything along these lines?

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

forget it

Great minds think alike.  I was about to agree and develop the point but thought better of it.  It's not worth the grief.  

Footballfirst

The new variant has been named "Omicron" in line with the Greek letter nomenclature.

Edited by Footballfirst

Nucky Thompson

The ITN Evening news was absolutely shocking tonight. Total doomsday scaremongering.

At least the other news outlets were trying to be partial 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The ITN Evening news was absolutely shocking tonight. Total doomsday scaremongering.

At least the other news outlets were trying to be partial 

It’s awful . But stv news even worse . I’ll miss them tonight as at a night out . It’s blowing a hoolie out there the night . Be careful lads . The variant will be able to go into a warp speed transmission rate ! 😂

9293A438-2A9B-47D4-B72A-EDB6E99420BB.png

55 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This is at least the second instance of a variant of concern developing in a profoundly immuno-compromised person who has experienced a protracted infection.  Virus having the opportunity to go into reproductive overdrive in a single host.  There's nothing particularly remarkable about that,  but this must have happened countless times with similarly immuno-compromised people and the influenza virus.  There must be a reason why similar poly-mutations haven't caused a similarly concerning variant of flu.

Anyone seen anything along these lines?

Yes there was something about an hiv person infected with it ? I wonder if it means they are more vulnerable to it ? Ofcourse they must be with a suppressed immune system . 

An FT article has a bit that says that this variant,  most unusually,  can be identified via conventional PCR tests and does not rely on genomic sequencing.

:interehjrling:

But lads,  I like the look of this opinion contained in the piece.

However, scientists emphasised the many uncertainties surrounding B.1.1.529 and most are more confident than they were when the earlier Alpha and Delta waves arrived.

The new variant is “most unlikely to fully escape immunisation provided by vaccination and prior infection”, said Balloux. “With high vaccination rates and promising drugs on the horizon, a possible B.1.1.529 wave should be far less painful to weather than the Alpha and Delta ones.”

That will do nicely.

Edited by Victorian

Dennis Denuto

The World Health Organisation have named it Omicron and given it the highest status class - of concern.

They have also said it looks like it has a higher risk of re-infection, which is not great for those who have already had it.

All this looks very unlikely that it is just pre-christmas scare tactics. Hopefully that data that comes in over next few weeks shows it is not something of concern and we don't go backwards with this.

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes there was something about an hiv person infected with it ? I wonder if it means they are more vulnerable to it ? Ofcourse they must be with a suppressed immune system . 

I am asking about similar instances of immuno-compromised people and the flu.  This kind of poly-mutation effect must have occured countless times with flu.

Dennis Denuto
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

The MSM are scum. 

What is the survival rate if you are over 65?

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I am asking about similar instances of immuno-compromised people and the flu.  This kind of poly-mutation effect must have occured countless times with flu.

Well I suppose I’m immuno suppressed and had the flu jab for over 20 years and been fine really . Never had the flu in years 

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

An FT article has a bit that says that this variant,  most unusually,  can be identified via conventional PCR tests and does not rely on genomic sequencing.

However, scientists emphasised the many uncertainties surrounding B.1.1.529 and most are more confident than they were when the earlier Alpha and Delta waves arrived.

The new variant is “most unlikely to fully escape immunisation provided by vaccination and prior infection”, said Balloux. “With high vaccination rates and promising drugs on the horizon, a possible B.1.1.529 wave should be far less painful to weather than the Alpha and Delta ones.”

That will do nicely.

D34DEDDF-43A9-4F3E-89D0-29712CD5D6DE.gif

Rupert Pupkin

Javid in his statement to the Commons mentioned “May” a lot... Lockdown till May then.... Should keep all the doom mongers happy...😂😂😂

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That will do nicely.

That bit sounds reassuring and to be fair, the BBC had a few experts who were also more positive.

I've been a sad case and e-mailed ITN to complain about their scaremongering shite tonight :biggrin2:

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well I suppose I’m immuno suppressed and had the flu jab for over 20 years and been fine really . Never had the flu in years 

No,  it's something in the most profoundly compromised people.  Seriously ill people with various illnesses and people receiving chemotherapy,  etc.  

Some people who have virtually no performing immune system have been known to have long and protracted battles with covid.  The virus has a highly rare opportunity to continually replicate over and over and over again in a host against no immune system response.  

This must surely have been observed with flu.

50 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No,  it's something in the most profoundly compromised people.  Seriously ill people with various illnesses and people receiving chemotherapy,  etc.  

Some people who have virtually no performing immune system have been known to have long and protracted battles with covid.  The virus has a highly rare opportunity to continually replicate over and over and over again in a host against no immune system response.  

This must surely have been observed with flu.

👍👍👍 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

That will do nicely.

Cheers Vic, that’s definitely good news 👍🏻

Malinga the Swinga
24 minutes ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Had pressure headaches and fatigue the last couple of days. Two LFT’s have been negative. Thoughts?

You've got a bit of a sniffle. Pre Covid, you wouldn't have given it a second thought.

40 minutes ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Had pressure headaches and fatigue the last couple of days. Two LFT’s have been negative. Thoughts?

LFTs are pretty useless

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Guess the dentist will be on 'off the ball' tomorrow then. 

Hope not. Stopped listening when they gave him half an hour every Saturday. Been a lot better without their forced banter with him. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

when you have a pcr test and its positive, does it tell you which variant you have?

I'm already thinking about getting Omicron survivor t shirts printed...

8 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I like Omicron too. Omicron is little O, O micron. Omega is big O.

Ever felt like they really are taking the piss and having a right good laugh at others expense.

Omicron, an anagram of moronic.- you'd need to be to believe this shit! 

Penny dropping lads, coincidence there's a lot of them around just like " normal players dropping down, coincidence.

Hey Maroonblood can I borrow your tin hat? 

Never too late to stop playing their game! Botswana variant ,🤣😂🤣😂🦍

49 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I like Omicron too. Omicron is little O, O micron. Omega is big O.

Hopefully we won't get to Omega. :)

16 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Just need to wait and see and keep fingers crossed re the 32 mutations. Far too early to know anything for sure as Vic says.

In terms of restrictions, nobody wants them unless they are essential to saving lives. Saying they wouldn’t be possible isn’t true though.

Yes, hopefully, Alex.

I agree, the imposition of restrictions is possible but imo the adherence would be a lot lower than last year.

People have been triple vaccinated and have had enough of Covid.  It would be difficult to argue the "saving lives", "protect the NHS" mantra again, as justification for more restrictions.  

49 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Ever felt like they really are taking the piss and having a right good laugh at others expense.

Penny dropping lads, coincidence there's a lot of them around just like " normal players dropping down, coincidence.

Hey Maroonblood can I borrow your tin hat? 

Never too late to stop playing their game! Botswana variant ,🤣😂🤣😂🦍

You mean they would have got away with their dastardly plan if only they hadn't used an anagram?

Thanks for your sterling service Scooby Doo.

queensferryjambo
10 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

With a Futurama theme please

OC] 'They Came From Omicron Persei 8!' @novum_designs : r/futurama

11 hours ago, thewiseone said:

Thewiseone is an anagram of oh weeniest.

Just saying.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic