Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Trapper John McIntyre
1 minute ago, kila said:

Have even less hope the UK Gov would sort it, NHS England isn't exactly a show case setup.

No its not. But compared to SNHS, its practically gold standard.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The ones who decided to go on holiday despite the pandemic and knowing full well they could get stuck should be left to fend for themselves. The other unlucky sods who where already travelling or went for essential work should be repatriated. 

Imo

Absolutely, listening to them whining on the news channels is really ****ing annoying.

NHS Scotland has always been independent, since the National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1947.

It was not devolved.

It is entirely separate.

Edited by Cade

1 minute ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Don't know many doctors who have worked in both I take it?

NHS England is on the way to privatisation, but if that's your thing then fair enough. But not a good model for a pandemic where the only success is the end of the virus, it isn't something that can be only be isolated to the poor.

Trapper John McIntyre
Just now, kila said:

Don't know many doctors who have worked in both I take it?

NHS England is on the way to privatisation, but if that's your thing then fair enough. But not a good model for a pandemic where the only success is the end of the virus, it isn't something that can be only be isolated to the poor.

I do actually. They speak abysmally of both.

My point is at this time of national crisis, four devolved services including one that insists on showboating isn't practical. It should be just the one voice and worry about the hurt feelings when its all over.

59 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, but I think just about everyone does it as well, that is why nobody will ever really know the true figure of deaths or the real mortality percentage is.

54 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Vallance at todays press conference said they are working to include home deaths and they should be added soon.. He said the numbers are not high. 

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Get this political point scoring shite right the **** out of this thread.

:getout:

This. Pathetic way to carry on. 

17 minutes ago, kila said:

Sorry :thumbsup:

Don’t think anyone was suggesting you were doing it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Finance minister of Germany's Hesse state has killed himself due to worries about the state's post-covid19 finances. 

Jeez. 😟

That's awful. 

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Finance minister of Germany's Hesse state has killed himself due to worries about the state's post-covid19 finances. 

Poor guy. This burden shouldn't fall on individuals. 

11 minutes ago, Cade said:

Bit early to say it was due to covid19 worries. We have no idea what his motives are yet. Several say he was worried about the economic impact but that's all we have just now. 

Edited by Normthebarman

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Bit early to say it was due to covid19 worries. We have no idea what his motives are yet. Several say he was worried about the economic impact but that's all we have just now. 

Apparently he left a note. 

shaun.lawson
9 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Gotta say, that sounds like they've pretty much done everything we have. Less, even. 

With one very big difference. Timing. Uruguay started implementing all its measures the moment the first case was announced. The UK left it weeks, if not months - and unfathomably failed to do anything about ventilators until only recent weeks.

Time is everything where pandemics are concerned. Act quickly enough, and nipping it in the bud before it spreads too much is absolutely achievable. Wait, wait, be reactive, not proactive, and you're always a step behind the virus.

Ordinary people have experienced a sudden jolt of mental health related troubles.   Add that to the undoubted stress of occupying a government type position.    Would tend to think he probably started with underlying fragility for whatever reason though.     

shaun.lawson
On 29/03/2020 at 13:21, AlimOzturk said:

You will take being stuck in your house for the next 4 months, only being allowed out to do some grocery shopping and a bit of excercise? **** that. 

Who knows if this social distancing/staying at homes will even work. Isn't working in Spain or Italy. Maybe half the population already has it. 

I'll heed the advice for a while longer but **** doing it till August. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

The ones who decided to go on holiday despite the pandemic and knowing full well they could get stuck should be left to fend for themselves.

Beyond parody.

indianajones

Signing out this thread from now on. 

I'll do as advised from the government but other than that i do not want to know about anything else.

This type of thing is not good for you guys. 

7 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

With one very big difference. Timing. Uruguay started implementing all its measures the moment the first case was announced. The UK left it weeks, if not months - and unfathomably failed to do anything about ventilators until only recent weeks.

Time is everything where pandemics are concerned. Act quickly enough, and nipping it in the bud before it spreads too much is absolutely achievable. Wait, wait, be reactive, not proactive, and you're always a step behind the virus.

Have Uruguay not had 2-3 months of seeing how the virus is spreading before they had their first case? Pretty sure the UK would have reacted differently if it had the information that Uruguay had.

From what I can see Uruguay has 309 cases 16 days after recording its first. The UK had nowhere near that number after a similar timeframe. In fact for the whole of February the UK only had 23 cases. It wasn't until 5th March that we had our first fatality.

28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Apparently he left a note. 

The paper that is being quoted as a suicide note being left is the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. Having read their article, it only says a note was left but authorities have not disclosed the contents. 

Edited by Normthebarman

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

The paper that is being quoted as a suicide note being left is the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. Having read their article, it only says a note was left but authorities have not disclosed the contents. 

Fair enough. 👍

30 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Jesus **** , shame you weren’t around in the 30s could have prevented Hitler from reaching power with that foresight you’ve given yourself....

Also the Uk left it months? 

17 minutes ago, sadj said:

Jesus **** , shame you weren’t around in the 30s could have prevented Hitler from reaching power with that foresight you’ve given yourself....

Our first confirmed case was on 31st January. We had our first UK infection on 29th February. At that point, we had 20 cases in the country.

3 weeks later schools closed. 3 days after that, lockdown. 

That's complete lockdown within 50 days of the 1st case. I don't think that's too bad, to be honest, as the 1st case was still before we had all the info about how bad it would be. I think once it became clear how dangerous this was, we ramped up our measures pretty quickly. In hindsight, yeah, we should've been quicker but hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Uruguay have been utterly rapid in their response, though. They're not far from where we are now, and had their 1st case 17 days ago. Fair play to them. 

Edited by Normthebarman

37 minutes ago, graygo said:

Have Uruguay not had 2-3 months of seeing how the virus is spreading before they had their first case? Pretty sure the UK would have reacted differently if it had the information that Uruguay had.

From what I can see Uruguay has 309 cases 16 days after recording its first. The UK had nowhere near that number after a similar timeframe. In fact for the whole of February the UK only had 23 cases. It wasn't until 5th March that we had our first fatality.

COVID-19 cases in Uruguay  (vte)

Date                         cases
2020-03-13        4
2020-03-14        6(+50%)
2020-03-15        8(+33%)
2020-03-16        29(+262%)
2020-03-17        50(+72%)
2020-03-18        79(+58%)
2020-03-19        94(+18%)
2020-03-20        110(+17%)
2020-03-21        135(+22%)
2020-03-22        158(+17%)
2020-03-23        162(+2%)
2020-03-24        189(+16%)
2020-03-25        217(+16%)
2020-03-26        238(+10%)
2020-03-27        274(+15%)
2020-03-28        304(+11%)
2020-03-29        309(+1%)

The Uruguayans had a shitty bit of luck in that one of their first cases had attended a wedding with 500 guests before they found out they had it. That wouldn't have helped.... 

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

COVID-19 cases in Uruguay  (vte)

Date                         cases
2020-03-13        4
2020-03-14        6(+50%)
2020-03-15        8(+33%)
2020-03-16        29(+262%)
2020-03-17        50(+72%)
2020-03-18        79(+58%)
2020-03-19        94(+18%)
2020-03-20        110(+17%)
2020-03-21        135(+22%)
2020-03-22        158(+17%)
2020-03-23        162(+2%)
2020-03-24        189(+16%)
2020-03-25        217(+16%)
2020-03-26        238(+10%)
2020-03-27        274(+15%)
2020-03-28        304(+11%)
2020-03-29        309(+1%)

Not sure if you're making a point or not, that confirms what I said, 309 cases after 16 days.

Just now, graygo said:

Not sure if you're making a point or not, that confirms what I said, 309 cases after 16 days.

yep just showing the data. currently they only have 1 death

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

yep just showing the data. currently they only have 1 death

Yes, but we never had as many cases after 16 days and had no deaths.

I was trying to make the point that Shaun shouldn't get complacent.

Just now, graygo said:

Yes, but we never had as many cases after 16 days and had no deaths.

i agree, but that wont stop him posting an essay while getting complacent 

2 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

You have that totally the wrong way round...

Shanks said no

Spoke to my daughter tonight before she started her shift as a nurse in a West Lothian hospital. Asked her if they could do with more hand sanitiser as I can lay my hands on a few boxes. No, they are fine for that but they have no face masks, could I get any?

Mrs F is getting well worked up about this and is now on Facebook seeing pleas to builders if they have any, to get them to St Johns.

annushorribilis III
5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Tbh...I’m not so sure, a wee bit on the fence with this but, a common sense approach should be first and foremost in everyone’s mind.

Let’s say everyone in London (or any largely populated area) decided to head into the country side, chances are that country side would be rammed with people, just look at the roads on any bank holiday weekend etc.....so, the generic advice is don’t do this, hence the advice is to walk out for your exercise.

I am fortunate (well at least I think so) to live in a very small city with is quite remote and, if I took a 10 minute drive in any direction, I will be in the middle of nowhere but, I am under the same advice as anywhere else in the country, don’t drive.  

To put the population in the North of Scotland into perspective, if you drew a line on a map from East to West through Perth, there are more people in the city of Cardiff than there are North of this line.

Of course I don’t feel the need to flaunt the rules regarding the situation we are in, like I said, common sense approach is needed.  Just thought I’d say.

Agreed. But going to a park and  seeing those numbers of cars parked would make me leave , pronto. 

shaun.lawson
2 hours ago, graygo said:

It wasn't until 5th March that we had our first fatality.

So the UK had months too then. And did nothing.

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Yes.

Also, I don't think you know what foresight even is.

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

That's complete lockdown within 50 days of the 1st case.

Which is very slow. So slow that only the entire world went mental at our initial insane herd immunity approach. The data didn't change at any point. The UK's reaction did. 

Similarly: having known - for years - that we had nothing like enough ventilators, it took us until well into March to do anything about it. I find that astounding. Many lives will be lost as a result.

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

The Uruguayans had a shitty bit of luck in that one of their first cases had attended a wedding with 500 guests before they found out they had it. That wouldn't have helped.... 

Indeed. She's Public Enemy Number One here. She's also a fashion designer who uses animal furs... and after going into self-isolation, decided to invite her kids to see her, day after day. She's under police investigation now, quite rightly.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

No complacency here... 

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

but that wont stop him posting an essay 

... But it won't stop me posting an essay regardless. :) 

John mcCartney
48 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Spoke to my daughter tonight before she started her shift as a nurse in a West Lothian hospital. Asked her if they could do with more hand sanitiser as I can lay my hands on a few boxes. No, they are fine for that but they have no face masks, could I get any?

Mrs F is getting well worked up about this and is now on Facebook seeing pleas to builders if they have any, to get them to St Johns.

Trades will mostly have ffp2 dust masks in their vans and tool storage chief.My supplier hasnt had any masks since early February as China took em all.Reasonable since that is predominantly Chinese manufacture.There and Germany
Its ffpp3 that you want which is healthcare standard.

Edited by John mcCartney

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Trades will mostly have ffp2 dust masks in their vans and tool storage chief.My supplier hasnt had any masks since early February as China took em all.Reasonable since that is predominantly Chinese manufacture.There and Germany
Its ffpp3 that you want which is healthcare standard.

I have about a dozen ffp3 / N95 masks that I'll get out to her tomorrow but that won't make much difference.

I had actually sourced a supply late January and was ready to order on the Friday, my director thought I was being OTT and said hold off, he had changed his mind by the Monday but they were gone by then. 

John mcCartney

Ok good luck.Was going to pass on mateys number to you as he has been selling masks.
Only ffpp2 left and a handful too,Ive just found out .

4 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Give it a rest ffs.

It's a four nation response as it is and the Scottish and Welsh NHS are both superior to the English NHS aside from the pandemic in normal times that is.

The Old Tolbooth
4 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Jesus wept :rofl:

A driver flouted the coronavirus lockdown to pick up £15 windows with his wife in the boot of his car.

The man, who had bought the windows on eBay, was stopped by police on the M6 in Cheshire on Sunday after collecting his purchase in Salford.

Police said his wife had to sit in the boot as she "could not fit in the vehicle" for the return journey to Coventry.

North West Motorway Police issued the man with a traffic offence report.

After the force tweeted news of the 220-mile round trip people reacted with a mixture of shock and disbelief.

Anthony Collier said: "I am amazed at how many people are still making unnecessary journeys."

The government has banned all non-essential travel amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Road blocks have been set up in some parts of the country, with police stopping drivers to check their journeys are for an essential purpose.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52088987

Ended up sacking it off today won't be back until there is some sort of normality resumed. Health over Wealth.

Ended up staying up all night due to body clock timings and also worrying about things that aren't important. 

Instead ran up the Law Hill for the sunrise - which was too cloudy to see. Ah well. Exercise cracked for the day ahead.

11 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Our first confirmed case was on 31st January. We had our first UK infection on 29th February. At that point, we had 20 cases in the country.

3 weeks later schools closed. 3 days after that, lockdown. 

That's complete lockdown within 50 days of the 1st case. I don't think that's too bad, to be honest, as the 1st case was still before we had all the info about how bad it would be. I think once it became clear how dangerous this was, we ramped up our measures pretty quickly. In hindsight, yeah, we should've been quicker but hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Uruguay have been utterly rapid in their response, though. They're not far from where we are now, and had their 1st case 17 days ago. Fair play to them. 

Actually it was more a case of the govt did nothing at all for 40 days told us all that they wanted 60% of us to get it to get herd immunity then there was uproar, so they went from nothing in the first 43 days to total lockdown a week later...History will not be favourable to Boris Johnson over this.

58 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Love a John Oliver video. This one is more serious than usual and highlights the complete and utter lunacy of Trump.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic