Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's classed as low income and why aren't the costs being faced by those not on a low income?

I'd assumed I wasn't low income but maybe I am, as looking at fuel costs (both diesel and gas) and other increases I'm certainly facing an increase in costs of about £1000 without some mitigation on my part 

I've yet to decide whether to moan about it, I probably will though 😂

FF beat me to it.  People on higher incomes tend to have options to cope with the effects of inflation.  People already struggling tend to be clobbered by inflation.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Footballfirst said:

I think that the point being made is that the increased costs impact to a greater extent on those on low incomes. e.g. an increase in costs of £1,000 on someone earning £20k a year is much harder to to manage than the same increase for someone on £40k a year.

I thought it was maybe due to specific things affecting the lower incomes (like pre-paid fuel etc) which would be totally unfair. Being unable to afford increases in prices leaves you cold and/or hungry regardless of your income but those on higher incomes should absolutely have been building up some savings to offset the risk of their often higher fixed outgoings.

It's going to be a tough winter for many sadly and awful for those already in the worst situations 👎

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

FF beat me to it.  People on higher incomes tend to have options to cope with the effects of inflation.  People already struggling tend to be clobbered by inflation.

Cheers. I guess for a lot with assets their values increase during high inflationary periods too. A lot of us though on what I'd not call low incomes (but maybe they actually are (certainly in the grand scheme)) without a lot of assets or spare money it's still going to be pretty tough to find an extra grand at a whim.

The better half will be advised it's jumpers not heating this year!!

Edited by Taffin

Just now, Taffin said:

Cheers. I guess for a lot with assets these increase during high inflationary periods too. A lot of us though on what I'd not call low incomes (but maybe they actually are (certainly in the grand scheme)) without a lot of assets or spare money it's still going to be pretty tough to find an extra grand at a whim.

It's never black and white.  There's a very wide spectrum of incomes and people have a wide variance of outgoings.  But one immutable truth is that there will indeed be a great many people facing a challenging financial future.  

4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Dads Were Doomed GIF - Dads Were Doomed - Discover & Share GIFs

Sir David King was in fine form this morning, doublely DOOMED we are.

Not only is he a member of the 'Independant SAGE' group but he's also the head of the 'Climate Crisis Advisory Group'.

Climate Change Hat on - Well basically we're all DOOMED.

Independant SAGE hat on - Cop26 will be a super spreader event (not his words, but that's what he meant) because of the UK's high infection rate and the slow booster roll-out, and we're all DOOMED.

So if Covid-19 doesn't get you, climate change will.........DOOMED, we're all DOOMED I tell you.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not only is he a member of the 'Independant SAGE' group but he's also the head of the 'Climate Crisis Advisory Group'.

Independant SAGE hat on - Cop26 will be a super spreader event (not his words, but that's what he meant) because of the UK's high infection rate and the slow booster roll-out, and we're all DOOMED.

So if Covid-19 doesn't get you, climate change will.........DOOMED, we're all DOOMED I tell you.

😂😂

FD5DB195-E505-477A-8F3D-62559EED5B26.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Regards the bit in bold...is the booster roll out slow? I've not kept up with it.

I'm amazed we went down the age groups rather than prioritising boosters. The effectiveness of the vaccine at protecting against serious illness (ergo hospitalisations) is higher than its effectiveness at preventing transmission so I'd have thought the best way to reduce pressure on the NHS would be to ensure timely boosters in those who were most likely to be hospitalised in the first place.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Regards the bit in bold...is the booster roll out slow? I've not kept up with it.

I'm amazed we went down the age groups rather than prioritising boosters. The effectiveness of the vaccine at protecting against serious illness (ergo hospitalisations) is higher than its effectiveness at preventing transmission so I'd have thought the best way to reduce pressure on the NHS would be to ensure timely boosters in those who were most likely to be hospitalised in the first place.

You can't get your booster until 6 months after your 2nd jab, so the older age groups will be eligible first

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

It probably has been on the slow side but it's greatly dependent on the timeline of the booster being done no sooner than 6 months after the 2nd jab.  I think there's a reasonable chance that the scale and pace will improve as more and more people move to the 6 month stage.  All of the over 70s should have been invited or have been able to book a booster by early next month.  Pretty much all over 50s in the same position at around January.

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You can't get your booster until 6 months after your 2nd jab, so the older age groups will be eligible first

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It probably has been on the slow side but it's greatly dependent on the timeline of the booster being done no sooner than 6 months after the 2nd jab.  I think there's a reasonable chance that the scale and pace will improve as more and more people move to the 6 month stage.  All of the over 70s should have been invited or have been able to book a booster by early next month.  Pretty much all over 50s in the same position at around January.

Absolutely but rather than adverts on the radio pushing for the youngsters to "not miss out on the good times" I'd have gone full speed ahead on getting those now eligible for their boosters done in big numbers as fast as possible.

Reducing spread and hospitalisations of course are linked complexly but if you can keep those likely to be hospitalised out of hospital via vaccination rather than trying to stop those not at huge risk spreading it I'd prioritise the first one especially as vaccination only reduces the spread and at a lesser efficacy (probably wrong word) than its ability to prevent serious illness. Ideally you'd do both at the same time, and fast, but if it's lagging a bit then it suggests they're not able to do it concurrently.

Out of interest, why the 6 month wait? Is that purely because they believe the effects last for that long, or is there a danger of doing it sooner? If it's effective doesn't diminish until 6 months, then my rambling is worthless as nobody will really have seen much drop off yet

Edited by Taffin

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tbh I couldn't tell you, likewise it's not something which I've given any thought to, except that I'll be due mine next month sometime, because I got my second jab in the middle of May and 6 months puts that sometime in November. 

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tbh I couldn't tell you, likewise it's not something which I've given any thought to, except that I'll be due mine next month sometime, because I got my second jab in the middle of May and 6 months puts that sometime in November. 

I'm maybe a bit ahead of the timeline then, just feels like ages since my parents were vaccinated and the advert on the radio made me question why we weren't pushing boosters as hard as those who weren't really putting much strain on the NHS in the first place when I'd not heard anything similar regards to boosters.

Hopefully they ramp it up at the appropriate time.

And right on cue , madam misery guys is back in the media spewing her usual brand of gloom and “ predictions “ come to think of it what’s happened to the dentist ? Linda Bauld is quiet too . Mind you she got her job with the SG so no need for her to crawl up their bahookie now to curry favour 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/good-morning-britains-susanna-reid-21899093

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Absolutely but rather than adverts on the radio pushing for the youngsters to "not miss out on the good times" I'd have gone full speed ahead on getting those now eligible for their boosters done in big numbers as fast as possible.

Reducing spread and hospitalisations of course are linked complexly but if you can keep those likely to be hospitalised out of hospital via vaccination rather than trying to stop those not at huge risk spreading it I'd prioritise the first one especially as vaccination only reduces the spread and at a lesser efficacy (probably wrong word) than its ability to prevent serious illness. Ideally you'd do both at the same time, and fast, but if it's lagging a bit then it suggests they're not able to do it concurrently.

Out of interest, why the 6 month wait? Is that purely because they believe the effects last for that long, or is there a danger of doing it sooner? If it's effective doesn't diminish until 6 months, then my rambling is worthless as nobody will really have seen much drop off yet

I think the 6 months came from a belief that it would be the time of optimum benefit of additional or renewed immune response,  etc. 

One other thing is that it's Pfizer or Moderna being used as a booster,  even on top of AZ.  Maybe Pfizer and Moderna stocks have been limited.

I would expect this to accelerate very soon.  

Edited by Victorian

Footballfirst
30 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's not that slow TBH.  England has already given boosters to 3,695,991 and Scotland has done 319,158 as of yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's not that slow TBH.  England has already given boosters to 3,695,991 and Scotland has done 319,158 as of yesterday.

Not too bad actually.  I assume it's very much the same sequence of people.  Frontline NHS,  care homes,  acute risk groups,  etc.  All governed by the 6 months threshold.

Edited by Victorian

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Sir David King talking a load of pish again...........who'd have thought it.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

No shit sherlock.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No shit sherlock.

A bit harsh Enzo? He was just answering my question on whether it was due to things that uniquely impacted the lower incomes or whether they were just disproportionately impacted.

No shit sherlock.

Delighted that such things are so obvious to you Enzo.  All the more puzzling then that you have very little regard for people on or near the poverty line.  ;)

Just now, Taffin said:

A bit harsh Enzo? He was just answering my question on whether it was due to things that uniquely impacted the lower incomes or whether they were just disproportionately impacted.

He likes to drop sarcastic wee comments into his posts rather than growing a pair and responding to posts directly. 

First to complain about others though.

Of course, those on high incomes are better placed to absorb increases in any product or service. That applies to heating, food, holidays, whatever. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Delighted that such things are so obvious to you Enzo.  All the more puzzling then that you have very little regard for people on or near the poverty line.  ;)

Who said I had little regard for those on or near the "relative poverty" line? 

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Who said I had little regard for those on or near the "relative poverty" line? 

Your responses a little back up the thread.  So you said it all yourself.

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He likes to drop sarcastic wee comments into his posts rather than growing a pair and responding to posts directly. 

Of course, those on high incomes are better placed to absorb increases in any product or service. That applies to heating, food, holidays, whatever. 

Maybe veering off topic but this is where the NI increase is unfair. No one under a certain income should have to pay more.

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's only true if they don't have fixed outgoings and/or do have assets to draw upon to tide them over.

Much like a business, a high revenue company doesn't necessarily have more cashflow by virtue or bringing in more revenue if their cost base has grown to match it.

Poor planning and a lack of forward thinking? You bet, but a higher wage is no guarantee you've access to another 1k by default.

Edited by Taffin

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Your responses a little back up the thread.  So you said it all yourself.

Your interpretation of my comments is flawed.

As an aside, the best way out of "poverty " is through work. Too many have been parked on welfare for years, unable to take work or additional hours as it "doesn't pay".

Raising taxes to pay an increased benefits bill is, as we all should know, economic folly.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

You even agree like an arsehole

You know, if you applied yourself and tried to improve your own outcomes, you wouldn't come across as such a bitter wee keyboard gobshite.

Bit of a jump from last week's case figures today.

Scottish numbers: 19 October 2021

Summary

• 2,459 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+265; up from 1,908 a week ago]
  • 21,032 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [+919]
    • 12.4% of these were positive [+0.9%]
  • 24 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+24]
  • 46 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+2]
  • 869 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+12]
  • 4,291,650 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,881,744 have received their second dose [+2,531; +1,802]

You know, if you applied yourself and tried to improve your own outcomes, you wouldn't come across as such a bitter wee keyboard gobshite.

You reckon?

Your interpretation of my comments is flawed.

As an aside, the best way out of "poverty " is through work. Too many have been parked on welfare for years, unable to take work or additional hours as it "doesn't pay".

Raising taxes to pay an increased benefits bill is, as we all should know, economic folly.

The flawed and sweeping generalisation of a post excludes the great many people who are already in full time employment,  not on benefits,  yet still exist in or very near poverty.

NIC contribution increase plus very likely inflation is going to mean hardship for people.  As we all should know,  economic cruelty.

scott herbertson

We seem to be on the rise again which is disappointing.

Re the boosters it should also be noted that care staff / nhs staff will also be getting these early. In fact I drove my wife in to get hers (she's in her 50s but works in a care home). There was a big queue of people with appointments and  I would say half were under 60. I'm 65 and got my second jab on April 22 so i asked if I could get my booster and flu jab (I'm kind of priority  due to a heart op) but was told would need to wait for the letter - fair enough.

Today's trend stats. I wish that the positivity rate would hit a peak as it's continuing to creep up to levels that I would prefer it weren't anywhere near.

7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area WHO   Today Yesterday     17 Oct 16 Oct 15 Oct 14 Oct 13 Oct ... 1 Oct
Scotland 4   327 317 +10   319 313 310 308 309 ... 345

Clackmannanshire 4   511 489 +22   448 417 392 322 298 ... 328
West Lothian 4   467 448 +19   459 455 431 433 441 ... 504
Stirling 4   462 464 -2   478 502 495 479 471 ... 366
Falkirk 4   451 429 +22   401 371 354 362 366 ... 421
Fife 4   439 428 +11   426 412 401 392 396 ... 407
East Ayrshire 4   415 413 +2   388 368 351 368 377 ... 440
East Dunbartonshire 4   392 351 +41   334 341 302 295 294 ... 382
South Lanarkshire 4   392 360 +32   359 338 332 321 313 ... 382
North Lanarkshire 4   383 356 +27   347 342 352 351 342 ... 442
Dundee City 4   367 370 -3   380 392 399 408 427 ... 427
Scottish Borders 4   364 342 +22   342 326 313 305 322 ... 188
North Ayrshire 4   356 349 +7   342 349 343 346 358 ... 441
Aberdeenshire 4   355 356 -1   382 383 392 377 378 ... 339
Renfrewshire 4   353 348 +5   351 343 336 332 309 ... 371
East Renfrewshire 4   352 344 +8   356 356 383 380 376 ... 354
Angus 4   341 339 +2   338 309 310 308 304 ... 234
Moray 4   320 323 -3   322 332 329 319 324 ... 231
East Lothian 4 214 318 325 -7   329 306 306 301 294 ... 265
West Dunbartonshire 4   310 294 +16   288 298 297 292 299 ... 437
South Ayrshire 4   298 292 +6   287 273 261 234 237 ... 541
Argyll & Bute 4   273 248 +25   250 249 241 250 240 ... 304
Perth & Kinross 4   266 251 +15   278 259 254 253 288 ... 304
Midlothian 4   263 257 +6   267 269 267 264 246 ... 327
Aberdeen City 4   262 257 +5   261 262 269 253 248 ... 292
Dumfries & Galloway 4   243 228 +15   247 239 246 266 271 ... 361
Glasgow City 4   243 236 +7   237 238 242 251 254 ... 328
Edinburgh City 4   235 240 -5   249 251 244 240 244 ... 238
Inverclyde 4   234 232 +2   230 230 223 239 257 ... 365
Highland 4 211 214 209 +5   215 207 215 220 211 ... 168
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4   185 155 +30   140 151 136 151 125 ... 234
Orkney Islands 3   125 116 +9   103 103 85 71 98 ... 85
Shetlands 3   70 83 -13   92 83 83 87 109 ... 70

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     17 Oct 16 Oct 15 Oct 14 Oct 13 Oct ... 1 Oct
Tests     29939 29705 +234   29865 30076 30497 30548 30827 ... 35457
Cases     2555 2476 +79   2491 2447 2424 2405 2412 ... 2694
Positivity rate %     9.0 8.8 +0.2   8.8 8.7 8.5 8.4 8.4 ... 8.2
Deaths     20 20 0   20 20 20 17 19 ... 19

All Vaccinations     5895 6181 -286   6890 7451 7757 8099 8220 ... 6572
1st Dose     3699 3999 -300   4611 5147 5422 5733 5850 ... 3705
2nd Dose     2196 2182 +14   2279 2304 2335 2366 2370 ... 2867

All in hospital     868 877 -9   888 903 918 932 943 ... 1009
Non-ICU     821 829 -8   839 852 865 877 885 ... 935
ICU     47 48 -1   49 51 53 55 58 ... 74
Edited by redjambo

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The flawed and sweeping generalisation of a post excludes the great many people who are already in full time employment,  not on benefits,  yet still exist in or very near poverty.

NIC contribution increase plus very likely inflation is going to mean hardship for people.  As we all should know,  economic cruelty.

It's difficult for millions of people globally right now. There will always be people in relative poverty but, of course, the global economic situation post-covid is tough. 

There are more job vacancies and higher employment than at any time in recent years.

NIC increases, as you aware, are due to the current Govt deciding to retrieve the care home funding problem from the long grass, into which numerous PMs have sliced their tee shots. 

There are no simplistic solutions to the problems everybody faces just now but the economic growth forecasts for next year are promising, much to wee Patrick Harvie's chagrin.

Looks like a general creep upwards in case numbers and the rate but we've seen this before over a few days and it's stopped and reversed.  The way that individual regions are bouncing around,  I'm not sure there's any clear indication that there must be a longer term,  overall spike to come.  Might be,  but by no means certain.  Edinburgh City continuing to recede very slightly after a few days of increases not long ago.  

47 minutes ago, Boab said:

Maybe veering off topic but this is where the NI increase is unfair. No one under a certain income should have to pay more.

I appreciate that Boab but the Govt have obviously decided it's the best way to fund it. At least they are trying to tackle the issue

I appreciate that Boab but the Govt have obviously decided it's the best way to fund it. At least they are trying to tackle the issue

It's not the introduction of it, which is u-turn 37 or whatever, it's the implementation. The fact that a great many people, who are in employment, are visiting food banks, tells me it's a scandalous tax.

Simply...tax those who can afford, not those who can't !

Fat chance of that from those parasites mind.

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Clackmannanshire seems to be bad, sorry if it’s been asked and answered but what’s the actual problem there?

Inbreeding. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Clackmannanshire seems to be bad, sorry if it’s been asked and answered but what’s the actual problem there?

Its small population. I know that that's a bit of a shan response, and its overall case rate has been quite high, but a mediocre outbreak in Clackmannanshire sends it skirling up the table due to the ratio of cases to its low number of people. For that reason, it's probably best ignored as an indicator of what's going on. The larger population areas are the key indicators.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Its small population. I know that that's a bit of a shan response, and its overall case rate has been quite high, but a mediocre outbreak in Clackmannanshire sends it skirling up the table due to the ratio of cases to its low number of people. For that reason, it's probably best ignored as an indicator of what's going on. The larger population areas are the key indicators.

Cheers, I just a read a few articles saying that, it’s not the first time it’s numbers have been high. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

:rofl:

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Cheers, I just a read a few articles saying that, it’s not the first time it’s numbers have been high. 

Overall it's in 10th position as regard its per capita case rate, which is indeed high, but it's actually quite a densely populated area, lying 13th on that measure, and the more densely populated areas have been those hardest hit (in my eyes anyway - I haven't done any analysis on it). The social scientists may well focus on it as one of the areas of interest to look at when they're analysing the spread of the virus.

36 minutes ago, Boab said:

It's not the introduction of it, which is u-turn 37 or whatever, it's the implementation. The fact that a great many people, who are in employment, are visiting food banks, tells me it's a scandalous tax.

Simply...tax those who can afford, not those who can't !

Fat chance of that from those parasites mind.

Tax the corporations instead, or force them to pay a better wage to their staff to be taxed on. Nobody should be in full time work and being paid such a pittance that they can't afford to pay taxes.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Overall it's in 10th position as regard its per capita case rate, which is indeed high, but it's actually quite a densely populated area, lying 13th on that measure, and the more densely populated areas have been those hardest hit (in my eyes anyway - I haven't done any analysis on it). The social scientists may well focus on it as one of the areas of interest to look at when they're analysing the spread of the virus.

All makes sense, it would be interesting to see how many of them are double jagged. 

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tax the corporations instead, or force them to pay a better wage to their staff to be taxed on. Nobody should be in full time work and being paid such a pittance that they can't afford to pay taxes.

Higher wages all round can never be the solution.  Higher wages = higher company cost base = squeezed margins = higher end user prices = inflation.  Higher pay must be met with higher productivity to suppress the burden on employers.  It's always a very fine balancing act to perform.  During a time of forecasted inflation,  the government should be mitigating for the worst off.  The NIC increase only kicking in further up the income scale.  Energy costs being capped or underwritten until wholesale price settles down.  Maybe some kind of subsidy provided for key consumer essential items.

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Higher wages all round can never be the solution.  Higher wages = higher company cost base = squeezed margins = higher end user prices = inflation.  Higher pay must be met with higher productivity to suppress the burden on employers.  It's always a very fine balancing act to perform.  During a time of forecasted inflation,  the government should be mitigating for the worst off.  The NIC increase only kicking in further up the income scale.  Energy costs being capped or underwritten until wholesale price settles down.  Maybe some kind of subsidy provided for key consumer essential items.

Companies in general make profits for shareholders. This should be used in the first instance to ensure their lowest paid staff receive a salary they can live on and comfortably pay their taxes. The public shouldn't top it up via taxes whilst the shareholders get rich. There's no need to worry about your margin if your business is breaking even whilst providing all your staff an equitable wage and covering its cost base. The surplus profits are just greed to fuel the few. 

I'm also not in favour of higher wages all round, if the top earners need to be rebalanced to enable the lower earners to have a bit more, so be it. It's the same in business as in politics...percentages favour those with more. Pensions contributions should be in £ notes, not percentages. A guy on 20k getting 5% contributions is getting a pittance compared to those on 80k getting 5%. Take that total number paid out and share it equally to all staff.

Off my high horse now haha. But yes, oddly maybe given my views on covid, I'm very much an anti-capitalist.

That said, I'm also a little bit sympathetic to the line of argument I'm sure Enzo would take...given the minimum wages, I'd question how squeezed anyone working full time really is. I've been on it and it wasn't an exuberant lifestyle, but I was never in serious trouble.

Edited by Taffin

Speaking to one of my neighbours and he said that he received his letter today for both the covid booster & flu jabs, get's them next week, he said that's bang on the 6 months since his 2nd covid jab.  So I don't know where this David King is getting the idea that the booster roll-out has been slow, granted you might get some localised issues here and there.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic