Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Don’t lockdowns just delay injections ? 

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Vaccinations started at the end of last year right through the last lockdown to present.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

yeah how would you measure adherence to lockdown - there’s an unknown right at the heart of your key factor

the anomalies which you tend to try to explain away with spurious commentary like ‘yeah we weren’t in lockdown then but restrictions were doing the same job’  (despite being unable to measure adherence to either)

This is descending into the realms of the absurd. There is a consistent pattern of lockdowns reducing cases, restrictions keeping them suppressed and then cases rising again once restrictions are lifted. This happens regardless of what season it is when any of these things happen. 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

This is descending into the realms of the absurd. There is a consistent pattern of lockdowns reducing cases, restrictions keeping them suppressed and then cases rising again once restrictions are lifted. This happens regardless of what season it is when any of these things happen. 

The problem was that there was never a stick to enforce compliance to restrictions.  Supermarkets didn't enforce mask wearing or social distancing, we didn't close our borders, and schools and universities were riddled because of lack of social distancing, neither did public transport refuse admission to those who refused to comply.  Hospitality should have been limited to vaccinated only.  All combined lead to increased community spread.

Now events are starting to open up we see the threat of a stick emerging, probably as Boris is starting to shit his pants that he may have ballsed up the reopening again.

Governor Tarkin
51 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We need more principled dentists like yours imo, Guv.

Agreed.

45 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Is scale and polish available on NHS? I’ve always had to pay.

I never fully appreciated the money making potential of dentistry until fairly recently, up there with pharmacists in junky areas it appears. 

NHS patients only pay a percentage of the rate set by the NHS. This chancer is after the private fee, which is at a higher rate than that provided by the NHS.

If I could go back and do it all again I'd be a dentist.

A Mengle type dentist.

3 hours ago, escobri said:

This could be the turning point for a lot of her supporters, lots of mums getting the jags but wanting kids left alone.

Eh ? it’s purely voluntary like it is for everyone else. Don’t want your kid vaccinated ? Don’t have them vaccinated.

Enzo Chiefo
10 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

do you understand that I’m not saying cases are directly or exclusively driven by the seasonal element? Do you remember me saying that lockdowns have played a part? (Amongst other things)

due to the complexity of this and my sentences above it would be a bit ambitious to believe I could nail down the reasons for the finer details in the graph or many of the graphs out there -details that highly-qualified scientists don’t often agree on

have you’ve explained how you’re  measuring adherence to lockdown btw and also you seen any graphs with lockdown anomalies or they all fit nice and exact? or do they sometimes need some spurious commentary to make it all fit ?

thats the issue with one-dimensional thinking B occurs and the one-dimensional thinker attributes it to A to the relative exclusion of other potential factors which either individually or more likely combined can’t easily be ruled-out

Yes exactly, MMM.

As you say, lockdown helped as did various other factors, the summer season included.

Lockdown seems to have been granted a scientific prominence beyond it's ability. It was simply a panicked, "what else can we do" reaction back in March 2020.  

Any sensible pandemic planning, and certainly now with 18mths experience behind us, would not include lockdown as an option. 

Unfortunately,  for some politicians and commentators, lockdown has been a "go to" comfort blanket to cover their own erchies and to have a pop at Boris Johnson.

Again, as you point out, how can the effectiveness of a blunt instrument like lockdown possibly be quantified, given the fact that so many other factors like adherence, the seasons, super spreader settings that didn't "lock down" etc, are in play?

Enzo Chiefo
24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Vaccinations started at the end of last year right through the last lockdown to present.

I think he means "infections ", Frank😁

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

again you will see from previous posts I have acknowledged the affects of lockdown on suppressing the virus in the short term - I’ve also referenced so-called anti-lockdown scientists doing likewise from their much more knowledgeable position

what is more absurd is when despite all the complexities going on people think they can quantify each and (almost) every bump big or small on a graph by saying event B happened (almost) exclusively due to reason A

plenty lockdown anomalies throughout the globe but there's always a simplistic answer to it from the one-dimensional thinker - no matter how spurious

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

See my other post above.  He has been going off on one with bizarre conspiracy theories.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Eh ? it’s purely voluntary like it is for everyone else. Don’t want your kid vaccinated ? Don’t have them vaccinated.

Rather niave view really . Do you honestly think that either Govt won’t stop at mandatory vaccination of children ? They won’t be able to attend school or other places if not vaccinated ? Wake  up 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Obviously he’s just trying to be a wideo but failing miserably really . He left something at the door today 

ACD5D36B-CAC6-4DFC-B434-4A45251C2363.jpeg

Unknown user
5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

They always use that language to discredit and ridicule opposing views . Best to not rise to the bait 

You are one enormous hypocrite

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Obviously he’s just trying to be a wideo but failing miserably really . He left something at the door today 

ACD5D36B-CAC6-4DFC-B434-4A45251C2363.jpeg

Don't forget your tinfoil hat to keep out the broadcasts to the chip....

giphy.gif

Unknown user
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

C7FF6A33-B990-48EE-BC7A-85EC8A6D08C4.gif

Aye very good, you've been parading all over this thread for over a year now, doing exactly the same yourself. You just look ridiculous trying to take the high ground over it.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aye very good, you've been parading all over this thread for over a year now, doing exactly the same yourself. You just look ridiculous trying to take the high ground over it.

:spoton:

Inventing conspiracy theories and scraping the barrel for the most obscure oddball sources to fit those theories, while having changed his view 3 or 4 times in the past year from rinsing his messages to being an all-out anti-vaxer.

Back to 2005
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Inventing conspiracy theories and scraping the barrel for the most obscure oddball sources to fit those theories, while having changed his view 3 or 4 times in the past year from rinsing his messages to being an all-out anti-vaxer.

When does a conspiracy theory become reality? 

Answer - about 6 months.

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Answer - about 6 months.

Happy to criticise both governments but it needs a certain dose of reality about it.

Back to 2005
Just now, frankblack said:

Happy to criticise both governments but it needs a certain dose of reality about it.

I don't see this as taking political sides. All parties are following the same script. Yeah I know another crazy conspiracy theory....

Dennis Reynolds
28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Might need one of these to get into Tynecastle, roll up roll up, it takes two weeks. 
https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/after-your-vaccine/get-a-record-of-your-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-status

Received mines yesterday after only ordering it last week! Very quick service.  Even come in blue envelopes just like the vaccine appointment letters. They are ultimately very similar to the PDF ones you could download for a couple days with no real security features I could see. Very easily reproduced...

Back to 2005
3 minutes ago, LMc said:

Received mines yesterday after only ordering it last week! Very quick service.  Even come in blue envelopes just like the vaccine appointment letters. They are ultimately very similar to the PDF ones you could download for a couple days with no real security features I could see. Very easily reproduced...

Can you send me a copy....😂

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, LMc said:

I hope you’re not advocating breaking the law 😜. Might order one just in case we get the chance to

go to the Celtic game. 

15 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I understand they will need to make paper copies of vaccine certificates, available, however, really surprised they haven’t set up a digital system yet or at least announced working on one. Would seem the most straight forward way of dealing with this.

Can't it be accessed via the NHS app? It's not been two weeks yet since my second vaccine but I assumed once it had been that it would appear in the app and replace the one you use for a negative LFT. I'll use the paper copy anyway as so often you can't get a signal places or you run out of battery. Had a mare trying to show it at Wimbledon due to 4G having a meltdown with so many people in close proximity using it.

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I’m hardly an anti vaxxer since I’ve had both jabs ! Pay attention . I’ve consistently said the healthy and children don’t need them . I’m neither . 

33 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Answer - about 6 months.

👍 shorter than that 

28 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/57905459

Looks like proof of vaccination maybe required from large sporting events from September. Also didn’t realise the huns are getting 17k in for their season opener.

I did say that earlier in the thread ! 

17 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Meanwhile in Australia....

They have been bonkers over there 

11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

👍👍👍putting my psychological brain to use here  I think many of this are in a state of denial and projection about what has happening and this coping mechanism makes them feel safe and morally righteous . They cant really stomach the information in the above video . It’s too near the truth . 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Can't it be accessed via the NHS app? It's not been two weeks yet since my second vaccine but I assumed once it had been that it would appear in the app and replace the one you use for a negative LFT. I'll use the paper copy anyway as so often you can't get a signal places or you run out of battery. Had a mare trying to show it at Wimbledon due to 4G having a meltdown with so many people in close proximity using it.

Why don’t u just screen shot the page ? You don’t need to be online to look at your pics 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Why don’t u just screen shot the page ? You don’t need to be online to look at your pics 

That's a great shout, would have saved me stress big time! It was all new for me at Wimbledon and the tickets were app based too 😂😂

Back to 2005
29 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m hardly an anti vaxxer since I’ve had both jabs ! Pay attention . I’ve consistently said the healthy and children don’t need them . I’m neither . 

👍 shorter than that 

I did say that earlier in the thread ! 

They have been bonkers over there 

👍👍👍putting my psychological brain to use here  I think many of this are in a state of denial and projection about what has happening and this coping mechanism makes them feel safe and morally righteous . They cant really stomach the information in the above video . It’s too near the truth . 

I think your right. I can't believe most people do not have a feeling that something does not feel right about all this. 

Fitzroy Pointon
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Rather niave view really . Do you honestly think that either Govt won’t stop at mandatory vaccination of children ? They won’t be able to attend school or other places if not vaccinated ? Wake  up 

Correct. This vaccine will 100% become mandatory for all ages, including babies. Explains the ramping up of fear mongering in the media. 

Fitzroy Pointon
7 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I think your right. I can't believe most people do not have a feeling that something does not feel right about all this. 

I want to believe that's not the case but I can't. This is not going away. I mean the restrictions, not the virus. 

22 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m NHS app free at the moment 🙈

Think its slightly different in Scotland,  but I can access my vaccination status via a website. In fact I have just done that and printed a paper copy off of it. 

No doubt this will all get a bit slicker down the line.

How was Wimbledon? 

I was also app free until Wimbledon. It's not the Covid app, it's just the general NHS one.

Yeh it'll get a lot more polished in time I'm sure.

Wimbledon was great thanks 👍👍 expensive...but great!

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

That is scary stuff. Who do these people think they are?

At some point, our Antipodean cousins are going to have to come out of their bunkers and re-engage with the rest of the world. Piece of feckin nonsense,  the way they're behaving right now.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That is scary stuff. Who do these people think they are?

At some point, our Antipodean cousins are going to have to come out of their bunkers and re-engage with the rest of the world. Piece of feckin nonsense,  the way they're behaving right now.

Unless you're an Australian government official...in which feel free not to wear a mask despite there clearly being other people around you and talk to your heart's content about Coles and Aldi etc 😂😂

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Unless you're an Australian government official...in which feel free not to wear a mask despite there clearly being other people around you and talk to your heart's content about Coles and Aldi etc 😂😂

😂😂. "Do as I say, not as I do". The control freaks have taken over the asylum.

I got a notification today on the NHS Protect Scotland app saying I need to isolate for six days. Only problem is I haven't been to Scotland since May and you can't use the app here so it makes no sense. I phoned them up and they don't even have a record of me. These apps are nonsense.

Answer - about 6 months.

Are you still going on about smart meters and trying to burn down broadband internet masts? Nah. What happened to poor old 4G - wasn't that going to kill us all off? Even "chemtrails" rarely get a mention nowadays - I especially liked how the ballast test platforms for new passenger jets were pulled into that conspiracy and the sheep gobbled it up. 

Nope, like all good conspiracy theorists you never ever look back to learn that bugger all of your crackpot ideas came to fruition, ever. You just leap on to the new shiny exciting 'theory' like a shameless, gullible hussy all so eager to swallow it uncritically! 

Rupert Pupkin

That’s absolutely insane..😳😳😳

That’s absolutely insane.... 

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

The Mighty Thor

The Internet has been taking a battering as the tin foil hatters have been scouring for evidence to back up their utter pish. 

Godwin's law invoked again, twice in 24 hours and all this after Freedom day. 

:cornette:

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Internet has been taking a battering as the tin foil hatters have been scouring for evidence to back up their utter pish. 

Godwin's law invoked again, twice in 24 hours and all this after Freedom day. 

:cornette:

Saw it coming as well after all the repugnant comparisons on social media yesterday which got so bad, someone shared a link to an Auschwitz memorial site. Harrowing reading, I defy anyone making such facile comparisons to read some of that and believe the comparison to still be a valid one. 

23 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

I got a notification today on the NHS Protect Scotland app saying I need to isolate for six days. Only problem is I haven't been to Scotland since May and you can't use the app here so it makes no sense. I phoned them up and they don't even have a record of me. These apps are nonsense.

If you're in England, the Scottish App does still work.  There is a cross border data exchange so if you have come into contact with a covid positive person in England and have the Scottish app active, it'll ping on the Scottish app.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Are you still going on about smart meters and trying to burn down broadband internet masts? Nah. What happened to poor old 4G - wasn't that going to kill us all off? Even "chemtrails" rarely get a mention nowadays - I especially liked how the ballast test platforms for new passenger jets were pulled into that conspiracy and the sheep gobbled it up. 

Nope, like all good conspiracy theorists you never ever look back to learn that bugger all of your crackpot ideas came to fruition, ever. You just leap on to the new shiny exciting 'theory' like a shameless, gullible hussy all so eager to swallow it uncritically! 

:greatpost:

Back to 2005
42 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Point me in the direction of when I mentioned any of these things. 

2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Answer - about 6 months.

When can we expect your Portuguese deaths conspiracy to become reality

Asking for 17000 bereaved families.

20 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Point me in the direction of when I mentioned any of these things. 

Point me in the direction of a conspiracy theory that was proven true in the last couple of years, then?

Back to 2005
12 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Point me in the direction of a conspiracy theory that was proven true in the last couple of years, then?

Vavcibe passports were dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic