Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Point me in the direction of a conspiracy theory that was proven true in the last couple of years, then?

covid - does that count? written-off by many including some on here as blowing over in a couple of weeks just like the flu probably

what sort of reaction would an early post predicting global lockdowns free money for sitting at home no football and all the other stuff would have got ?

yeah there would have been plenty open-minds to that I’m sure - no-one copying pasting links about lockdowns never happening or face masks just being a bit of defenceless cloth etc etc no sir not here 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

Vavcibe passports were dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

Is that it - a concept mooted so early in the pandemic that it was never a conspiracy since normal people understood the potential way before the foil hat wearers latched on?

Piss poor, mate. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

That's a great shout, would have saved me stress big time! It was all new for me at Wimbledon and the tickets were app based too 😂😂

Yes I do that with plane / train tickets if one needs to show them to officials 

Back to 2005
8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Is that it - a concept mooted so early in the pandemic that it was never a conspiracy since normal people understood the potential way before the foil hat wearers latched on?

Piss poor, mate. 

"Normal people"!

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

"Normal people"!

People who have gainful employment and don't spend their days doing "research" on youtube. 

You have nothing. :laugh: 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Correct. This vaccine will 100% become mandatory for all ages, including babies. Explains the ramping up of fear mongering in the media. 

Yep ! 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

I want to believe that's not the case but I can't. This is not going away. I mean the restrictions, not the virus. 

Yes at the end of the video I posted which the lockdown zealots derided he made the most obvious point that the virus won’t go away . It’s a virus ! Therefore we have live with it and get on with living . 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

People who have gainful employment and don't spend their days doing "research" on youtube. 

Terrible value judgements  yet again. 😎 try and curb it 

Enzo Chiefo
25 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Only fools and horses work, mate. 

Doctor FinnBarr

Not looked on this thread for a while now but what do we think of "NHS track and trace"? Seem's its not the NHS but one of Handjobs wee handouts to his mates. I got told to isolate last week 2 days into my 10 and the wife was told to isolate yesterday 5 days into her 10. But it seems Boris can totally ignore his ping from "Track and Trace". We're getting took for mugs by the Tory *******s.

Nucky Thompson
19 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Not looked on this thread for a while now but what do we think of "NHS track and trace"? Seem's its not the NHS but one of Handjobs wee handouts to his mates. I got told to isolate last week 2 days into my 10 and the wife was told to isolate yesterday 5 days into her 10. But it seems Boris can totally ignore his ping from "Track and Trace". We're getting took for mugs by the Tory *******s.

Where do you live?

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Must imagine that I work all day and have throughout the so called pandemic.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Meanwhile in Australia....

Quoted with absolutely no context. Sydney has a massive outbreak and what Kerry Chant is trying to do is stop people interacting in indoor settings given the risk of indoor aerosol transmission.

The joy of the cesspool of Twitter.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Unless you're an Australian government official...in which feel free not to wear a mask despite there clearly being other people around you and talk to your heart's content about Coles and Aldi etc 😂😂

Nice try but at the daily press conferences those speaking don't wear masks to ensure that those who need to lip read and understand the message can do so.

The problem for Sydney and NSW is that their lax protocols have managed to send the Delta strain to half the country. So they are desperate to try and get back to zero community transmission.

As for opening up, that will happen when more jabs go into arms. The problem here is that people are vaccine snobs and don't want AZ despite a plentiful supply. 3/4 of this household is fully dosed and my 17 year old would have AZ if he was allowed.

Back to 2005
5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Quoted with absolutely no context. Sydney has a massive outbreak and what Kerry Chant is trying to do is stop people interacting in indoor settings given the risk of indoor aerosol transmission.

Massive? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Massive? 

By Australian standards, massive. If they hadn't locked down when they did they would have had a worse outbreak than we did in Melbourne last year.

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nice try but at the daily press conferences those speaking don't wear masks to ensure that those who need to lip read and understand the message can do so.

There's someone doing sign language in the bottom right hand corner.

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The problem for Sydney and NSW is that their lax protocols have managed to send the Delta strain to half the country. So they are desperate to try and get back to zero community transmission.

As for opening up, that will happen when more jabs go into arms. The problem here is that people are vaccine snobs and don't want AZ despite a plentiful supply. 3/4 of this household is fully dosed and my 17 year old would have AZ if he was allowed.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There's someone doing sign language in the bottom right hand corner.

There is. Doesn't mean everyone who is hard of hearing understands sign language either.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

There is. Doesn't mean everyone who is hard of hearing understands sign language either.

True, there will also be blind and deaf people who can't comprehend any of it and quite possibly non-English speakers who don't understand it. If it's so dangerous you shouldn't speak to anyone in the supermarket though then catering for a very small minority whilst doing exactly what you're telling others not to do doesn't make a massive amount of sense... especially when you could turn on the closed captions to get the gist.

Edited by Taffin

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

True, there will also be blind and deaf people who can't comprehend any of it and quite possibly non-English speakers who don't understand it. If it's so dangerous you shouldn't speak to anyone in the supermarket though then catering for a very small minority whilst doing exactly what you're telling others not to do doesn't make a massive amount of sense... especially when you could turn on the closed captions to get the gist.

By "dangerous" the point she was making was to reduce the risk of transmission. Previously, with the older strains of Covid, it was understood that you needed to spend roughly 15 minutes together in a room before transmission would occur. Delta, on the other hand, is being associated with "fleeting transmission", i.e. potentially breathing similar air nearby. The reason they can say that here is because contact tracing is making those links all the way back to the index case, although NSW is having trouble keeping up given Delta is moving so fast.

They extended our lockdown 5 here till Tuesday of next week to ensure we get back to zero community transmission, not 0 cases. We had 13 cases yesterday but 9 were in full isolation. If we get to all of the cases in full isolation then we can be confident that the Delta strain is under control here. NSW is nowhere near that.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

What's Australia's vaccination rate nowadays, & is Morrison still being a dithering tit?

Link here

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/07/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-update-20-july-2021.pdf

Basically, 31.69% of 70 plus fully vaxxed, 18.54% of 50 plus fully vaxxed and 14.09% of all eligible.

The fact that I was in the top 10% in the country is a fundamental problem (wife and son working in healthcare so they were before me).

Enzo Chiefo
18 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

By "dangerous" the point she was making was to reduce the risk of transmission. Previously, with the older strains of Covid, it was understood that you needed to spend roughly 15 minutes together in a room before transmission would occur. Delta, on the other hand, is being associated with "fleeting transmission", i.e. potentially breathing similar air nearby. The reason they can say that here is because contact tracing is making those links all the way back to the index case, although NSW is having trouble keeping up given Delta is moving so fast.

They extended our lockdown 5 here till Tuesday of next week to ensure we get back to zero community transmission, not 0 cases. We had 13 cases yesterday but 9 were in full isolation. If we get to all of the cases in full isolation then we can be confident that the Delta strain is under control here. NSW is nowhere near that.

To be fair, "fleeting transmission" appears only to be a concept being considered in a handful of countries.

I remember reading that the Australian authorities had convinced themselves that individuals were passing it on simply by walking past someone in a Mall. All due respect but that sounds like nonsense. 

"Fleeting transmission " has never been mentioned here. All variants are "airborne " but the likes of Jason Leitch and Chris Whitty have stressed that the same mitigations are equally effective against Delta.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Ta. There still vaccine (AZ) hesitancy is there?

Yes although under 40s are going to GPs now to ask for it.

Some boomers are still demanding Pfizer. I hope they are stuck to the end of the queue.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

To be fair, "fleeting transmission" appears only to be a concept being considered in a handful of countries.

I remember reading that the Australian authorities had convinced themselves that individuals were passing it on simply by walking past someone in a Mall. All due respect but that sounds like nonsense. 

"Fleeting transmission " has never been mentioned here. All variants are "airborne " but the likes of Jason Leitch and Chris Whitty have stressed that the same mitigations are equally effective against Delta.

That's disproven though when you can contact trace and understand when and where transmission occurred. It's still rare but possible, particularly indoors.

Back to 2005
27 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Whats the long term strategy for keeping zero covid cases? Short of permanently shifting the borders how on earth is that ever going to work? 

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:conspiracy:

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Whats the long term strategy for keeping zero covid cases? Short of permanently shifting the borders how on earth is that ever going to work? 

That isn't the strategy though. It's to maintain restrictions until enough people are vaccinated. Then it's treated like flu.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Nothing to do with the NHS really, Dido Harding blew £37b on it to friends and donors and it doesn’t work. 
Criminal really, but nothing will happen. 

4 hours ago, Gards said:

If you're in England, the Scottish App does still work.  There is a cross border data exchange so if you have come into contact with a covid positive person in England and have the Scottish app active, it'll ping on the Scottish app.

The last time I checked into a place using the app (English or Scottish) was the England semi on 7th July so I'm struggling to understand how they could know if I've come into contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid.

When I phoned up, they also told me there was no record of my name/number in the system and that I didn't need to isolate...

Edited by Stanley_

Fauci hands Rand Paul his arse on a plate at a congressional Covid hearing.

:pleasing:

Edited by fancy a brew

4 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

The last time I checked into a place using the app (English or Scottish) was the England semi on 7th July so I'm struggling to understand how they could know if I've come into contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid.

I'm guessing because the app has picked up that you've been near someone who's tested positive based on what @Gards said about it working cross border.

Or of that's not how it works then maybe someone has named you as a close contact after they've tested positive. Would be a bit of a dick move not to tell you though.

Alternatively it.just doesn't work properly and it's an error.

or, if you're into conspiracy theories, maybe there's a randomised ping element built into it to increase isolation 

Edited by Taffin

Back to 2005
18 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Fauci hands Rand Paul his arse on a plate at a congressional Covid hearing.

:pleasing:

Would be interesting to see the whole thing rather than short clips. The senator has clearly accused him of lying which i cannot believe Fauci would ever do.....

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Would be interesting to see the whole thing rather than short clips. The senator has clearly accused him of lying which i cannot believe Fauci would ever do.....

Oh the irony after your Kerry Chant clip! :laugh:

18 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Be patient, the full clip will be all over your YouTube feed shortly, what with Fauci being a leading member of The Illuminati and what not.

6 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Internet has been taking a battering as the tin foil hatters have been scouring for evidence to back up their utter pish. 

Godwin's law invoked again, twice in 24 hours and all this after Freedom day. 

:cornette:

Let's not forget when Gammon TV went live to the protests in Trafalgar Sq (obv assuming they'd get their own demographic as a stirring backdrop - i was imagining

"Do You Hear The People Sing " from Les Mis ) but  Farage had to abort his interview because their presenter was being verbally abused.

Priceless. 

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

If Fauci "lied" he can be sent to jail. So, let's see what happens . 

What do you think he lied about ? 

I'll wait. 

Ron Burgundy
9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yes although under 40s are going to GPs now to ask for it.

Some boomers are still demanding Pfizer. I hope they are stuck to the end of the queue.

I personally don't really see a problem with people who want to decide which newly concocted vaccine they inject into their body. I'd have preferred Pfizer but just went along with the herd and took what I was given.

Maybe in ten years time theirs may have proved to be a wise decision. Who knows.

Geoff Kilpatrick
13 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I personally don't really see a problem with people who want to decide which newly concocted vaccine they inject into their body. I'd have preferred Pfizer but just went along with the herd and took what I was given.

Maybe in ten years time theirs may have proved to be a wise decision. Who knows.

Nor do I but if they want choice (leaving aside moral arguments from the fact that the planet needs dosed, not individual countries) then they can wait until everyone has had a chance to get a jab. Unless you are a frontline worker or indigenous, no one under 40 is eligible here yet.

Ron Burgundy
4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nor do I but if they want choice (leaving aside moral arguments from the fact that the planet needs dosed, not individual countries) then they can wait until everyone has had a chance to get a jab. Unless you are a frontline worker or indigenous, no one under 40 is eligible here yet.

To be fair only the tiniest percentage of under 40's have anything to fear from covid. As long as the oldies are jabbed up then it's all good.

32 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

To be fair only the tiniest percentage of under 40's have anything to fear from covid. As long as the oldies are jabbed up then it's all good.

Just isn't true.

The entire world needs to be well covered by vaccination to eliminate the evolution of more problematic variants and also to prevent ongoing lockdowns/restrictions that directly affect a wide range of sociey's activities,  standard of living,  education,  employment,  healthcare.  

Everyone still has something,  a lot actually,  at stake.

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Just isn't true.

The entire world needs to be well covered by vaccination to eliminate the evolution of more problematic variants and also to prevent ongoing lockdowns/restrictions that directly affect a wide range of sociey's activities,  standard of living,  education,  employment,  healthcare.  

Everyone still has something,  a lot actually,  at stake.

We will just need to agree to disagree.

We either lockdown forever or get on with it.

We won't be in a permanent lockdown so it's time to move on once the oldies are jabbed IMO.

There is no chance of the entire world being well covered by vaccination. We can't even feed or provide the most basic needs for a huge part of it never mind ensure they have their vaccination passports up to date with the latest strains all covered.

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

We will just need to agree to disagree.

We either lockdown forever or get on with it.

We won't be in a permanent lockdown so it's time to move on once the oldies are jabbed IMO.

There is no chance of the entire world being well covered by vaccination. We can't even feed or provide the most basic needs for a huge part of it never mind ensure they have their vaccination passports up to date with the latest strains all covered.

Bottom line is we need to prevent lockdowns or everybody suffers.  Preventing lockdowns by just saying we're not having them isn't really a coherent strategy.

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Victorian said:

Bottom line is we need to prevent lockdowns or everybody suffers.  Preventing lockdowns by just saying we're not having them isn't really a coherent strategy.

Absolutely and once the old and vulnerable are vaccinated there should be no need for lockdowns. 

10 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Absolutely and once the old and vulnerable are vaccinated there should be no need for lockdowns. 

Not really true as we can see.  Healthcare is already being affected by the increase of volume of people requiring hospital treatment from covid.  Everyone in the country being vaccinated to reduce that volume to it's minimum level.  Then the NHS can start to eat into the backlog.

A timely article appeared after yesterday's discussion between @Ray Gin and @MoncurMacdonaldMercer

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/20/does-warm-weather-mean-you-are-less-likely-to-catch-covid

I had a look at the study referenced in it too.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/25/e2019284118

I know MMM loves a copy and paste, so here's the conclusion. 

Conclusion.

There is no single cause of, or solution to, the current COVID-19 pandemic, and all drivers must be placed in perspective. Here we suggest that both environment (including population density) and daily weather may play a role in the transmission of SARS-CoV-2. However, the major driver of transmission, and our best method of controlling it, is public policy, as this and many other studies have shown (48, 49). Indeed, we have shown that, when stringent public policy measures are in place, the transmission effects of environmental drivers are negligible. Therefore, while SARS-CoV-2 may show seasonal and spatial variation in its transmission rates, these effects can be mitigated through public health interventions.

19 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

A timely article appeared after yesterday's discussion between @Ray Gin and @MoncurMacdonaldMercer

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/20/does-warm-weather-mean-you-are-less-likely-to-catch-covid

I had a look at the study referenced in it too.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/25/e2019284118

I know MMM loves a copy and paste, so here's the conclusion. 

Conclusion.

There is no single cause of, or solution to, the current COVID-19 pandemic, and all drivers must be placed in perspective. Here we suggest that both environment (including population density) and daily weather may play a role in the transmission of SARS-CoV-2. However, the major driver of transmission, and our best method of controlling it, is public policy, as this and many other studies have shown (48, 49). Indeed, we have shown that, when stringent public policy measures are in place, the transmission effects of environmental drivers are negligible. Therefore, while SARS-CoV-2 may show seasonal and spatial variation in its transmission rates, these effects can be mitigated through public health interventions.

👍

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Long thread on Long Covid here:

Time to avoid Twitter - again.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic