Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Over 75s still dying. Here's hoping lockdown isn't the only thing that beats this thing. 

More people were dying during lockdown than have been during the easing of restrictions. Excess deaths are about or below average since easing of restrictions. 

People dye you better mentally tune into that fact instead of constantly waving your flag of fear. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

More people were dying during lockdown than have been during the easing of restrictions. Excess deaths are about or below average since easing of restrictions. 

People dye you better mentally tune into that fact instead of constantly waving your flag of fear. 

Correct.

maxresdefault.jpg

Byyy The Light
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Over 75s still dying. Here's hoping lockdown isn't the only thing that beats this thing. 

Read yesterday that more people are dying from flu and pneumonia than Covid now. Unfortunately we’re never going to have zero Covid deaths so it’s just going to be a thing we have to live with.

Booster jags and better treatments will hopefully be along but lockdowns should never happen again for this virus. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

People dye you better mentally tune into that fact instead of constantly waving your flag of fear. 

👍

JudyJudyJudy

I had to have a covid test yesterday . Had a thumping headache for about 5 days and wondered if it might be that or a late side effect of the vaccine ? Apparently you can have side effects up to 4 weeks . I spoke to woman on helpline and she advised to to go usher hall to pick up lateral flow tests. The guy gave me two packets of them which have about 7 tests in each . Anyway it’s quite complicated at first on how to do it all with various instructions etc . I did manage it and it was negative . Strangely enough the headache has lessened .👍 I did notice on the packets “ made in China”   So they must be making a tidy pocket as I wonder how much each packet costs ? 

Edited by JamesM48

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I had to have a covid test yesterday . Had a thumping headache for about 5 days and wondered if it might be that or a late side effect of the vaccine ? Apparently you can have side effects up to 4 weeks . I spoke to woman on helpline and she advised to to go usher hall to pick up lateral flow tests. The guy gave me two packets of them which have about 7 tests in each . Anyway it’s quite complicated at first on how to do it all with various instructions etc . I did manage it and it was negative . Strangely enough the headache has lessened .👍 I did notice on the packets “ made in China”   So they must be making a tidy pocket as I wonder how much each packet costs ? 

I'd take another one to be safe. I had to do a couple the results were 'its unlikely you were contagious'...not exactly reassuring.

I already knew it was unlikely given more people don't have it than do 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 30/04/2021 at 18:41, Ray Gin said:

1 in 3 unvaccinated people. 

Heard this advert again today. It makes no reference to it being about unvaccinated people which lead me back to my original question below...

On 30/04/2021 at 18:22, Taffin said:

Just heard on the covid radio advert that 1 in 3 infected are asymptomatic. Wasn't that the ratio this time last year?

If so, the vaccine must not have had an effect on reducing symptoms down to nothing?

On 30/04/2021 at 18:41, Ray Gin said:

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I'd take another one to be safe. I had to do a couple the results were 'its unlikely you were contagious'...not exactly reassuring.

I already knew it was unlikely given more people don't have it than do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh thanks that’s reassuring 😂 yeah I’ll take another today , but my headaches have nearly gone so that’s the only reason I took the test as I had none of the three main ones .  I was more alarmed that headaches might be due to vaccine side effects .  Yes it’s highly unlikely I have it. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Alcohol killed more people in 2020 in England and Wales than in any of the previous 20 years, official data shows.

There were 7,423 deaths from alcohol misuse last year - a rise of 20% from 2019, the Office for National Statistics says.

Deaths increased from March 2020 onwards when the UK's coronavirus epidemic forced the first national lockdown.

Most deaths were related to long-term drinking problems and dependency.

The ONS defines alcohol deaths as those directly caused by misuse of alcohol.

Last year, around 80% of those deaths were from alcoholic liver disease, 10% from mental and behavioural disorders due to alcohol use and 6% from accidental poisoning by exposure to alcohol.

sobering stats not. Another issue out of COVID. I certainly feel i have drunk more than normal mainly through boredom and fa to do outside the house during lockdown you can only go so many walks that it becomes tedious no toilets was my big issue as @jonnothejambowill confirm.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Heard this advert again today. It makes no reference to it being about unvaccinated people which lead me back to my original question below...

It doesn't specifically mention it but that's what it is referring to. 1 in 3 people naturally get no symptoms, without the assistance of a vaccine.

There probably aren't accurate stats amongst the vaccinated yet, however it will undoubtedly be much higher given that they are hugely effective in preventing serious illness.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Alcohol killed more people in 2020 in England and Wales than in any of the previous 20 years, official data shows.

There were 7,423 deaths from alcohol misuse last year - a rise of 20% from 2019, the Office for National Statistics says.

Deaths increased from March 2020 onwards when the UK's coronavirus epidemic forced the first national lockdown.

Most deaths were related to long-term drinking problems and dependency.

The ONS defines alcohol deaths as those directly caused by misuse of alcohol.

Last year, around 80% of those deaths were from alcoholic liver disease, 10% from mental and behavioural disorders due to alcohol use and 6% from accidental poisoning by exposure to alcohol.

sobering stats not. Another issue out of COVID. I certainly feel i have drunk more than normal mainly through boredom and fa to do outside the house during lockdown you can only go so many walks that it becomes tedious no toilets was my big issue as @jonnothejambowill confirm.

Very sad stats . My alcohol consumption has gone the other way . Hardly had a drink in the last year . 

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It doesn't specifically mention it but that's what it is referring to. 1 in 3 people naturally get no symptoms, without the assistance of a vaccine.

There probably aren't accurate stats amongst the vaccinated yet, however it will undoubtedly be much higher given that they are hugely effective in preventing serious illness.

Seems a bit weird to use a stat that is based on the inclusion of only half the population and not mention that. 

As you say surely it's much higher now, saying so though would make their messaging stronger...assuming their message is be careful as a lot of people are asymptomatic. If it's nearer 1 in 20/30 etc now.

Just now, Taffin said:

Seems a bit weird to use a stat that is based on the inclusion of only half the population and not mention that. 

As you say surely it's much higher now, saying so though would make their messaging stronger...assuming their message is be careful as a lot of people are asymptomatic. If it's nearer 1 in 20/30 etc now.

They reckoned 70-95% reduction in illness after vaccination. Not clear if this means any symptoms at all or just symptoms that are more than a mild annoyance though.

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

They reckoned 70-95% reduction in illness after vaccination. Not clear if this means any symptoms at all or just symptoms that are more than a mild annoyance though.

Yeh good point 👍

Fxxx the SPFL

Scottish numbers: 6 May 2021

Summary

• 283* new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 35,576* new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 0.9%* of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
  • 11 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 no change from yesterday
  • 58 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 no change from yesterday
  • 2,860,635 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,400,296 have received their second dose

* Please note that today's total cases and tests includes those affected by the data flow issues reported yesterday. On 5 May, Public Health Scotland were aware of a data flow issue from UK Government Testing sites. This issue has now been resolved.

Fxxx the SPFL
40 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Confirmed 👍

Get a couple of dogs, Ray. We have daily walks in the hills here in the heart of Scotland and it's great for our mental wellbeing. 

I rarely drink these days and I haven't had a proper pint in a pub since just before the first lockdown. Once I get my 2nd jab I will be meeting my dear friends again for a beer lunch in Edinburgh. 

I cannot wait. Two Hearts fans, two Hibs fans, one Rangers fan, one Celtic fan and one Raith fan. We all get on fantastically and hopefully it won't be too long now. 

One dog is enough even had to buy her a drink yesterday and it was my birthday too. Glad she's not on kickback. Under cover at Elio's George Street bloody freezing hail blowing in as well what some will do for a drink lol then over to All Bar One for a heat and a chorizo chicken mac & cheese meal and a diet coke booooo.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Confirmed 👍

Get a couple of dogs, Ray. We have daily walks in the hills here in the heart of Scotland and it's great for our mental wellbeing. 

I rarely drink these days and I haven't had a proper pint in a pub since just before the first lockdown. Once I get my 2nd jab I will be meeting my dear friends again for a beer lunch in Edinburgh. 

I cannot wait. Two Hearts fans, two Hibs fans, one Rangers fan, one Celtic fan and one Raith fan. We all get on fantastically and hopefully it won't be too long now. 

👍

20 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

One dog is enough even had to buy her a drink yesterday and it was my birthday too. Glad she's not on kickback. Under cover at Elio's George Street bloody freezing hail blowing in as well what some will do for a drink lol then over to All Bar One for a heat and a chorizo chicken mac & cheese meal and a diet coke booooo.

Oh that chorizo macaroni and cheese sounds yummy ! Got me salivating 😂

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

@Footballfirst you posted a link to a site where you can find out you  vaccination status. Could you post it again please.

The missus and the father in law are due there second vaccination. However, as they were done as walk in/emergency due to a **** up in the system, having him down as dead. Anyway they appear to not be on the system for their second injection due anytime now.

The missus has been on to the helpline, her GP and her dads, whilst contacting the RHS none have been much help. However, her GP just contact her with her Ki number or something and I believe that website might hold the key, I just cant find it with google!!!!!

You need a username to register before you get the info you are looking for  (I got my username from my first invitation letter).  I don't know if that is a "Ki number".

https://vacs.nhs.scot/csp

My username is in the format "firstname.first 2 letters of surname and a number"  e.g. "robbie.ne007"

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

All the best with your test, James.

Cheers I took another one today and it was negative so all good thanks 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Thanks much appreciated. 

I think the Ki number and login are the same. Though she is going full Karen on them at the moment. Her GP can confirm she has injection and date and time etc, the call centre are saying she hasn’t had her first injection and say she not on system.

She has now been told to fill out forms and would be fair to say she is far from happy. Albeit her GO have sent some emails off it appears.

She going to have to go through the same fiasco with her dad.

On the bright side I on the system, I her saying ‘thats my husband’

My old boy got done last week, at the Western, for those who were following his vaccine drama as well.

Unreal how long it has taken ! 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That was him taking a cancellation as well, as it was meant to be June. Anyway he’s done now, so is much happier. 👍

What a saga ! 👍

JudyJudyJudy

Good article how politics on the left and right have had diverging views about lockdowns / mask wearing and safety . Ironically the left arguing for punitive lock downs restricting liberties and rights and ignoring scientific data  whereas the right being the opposite . 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

Edited by JamesM48

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Cheers I took another one today and it was negative so all good thanks 

👍

Have we had any deaths at all this week? Sorry its the only numbers I look for. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Have we had any deaths at all this week? Sorry its the only numbers I look for. 

No deaths for 7 days 

Victorian

Seemingly an associated sub-variant of the India variant is being tracked by the genomic sequencing as a rising variant in around 40 clusters throughout the UK.  It's incidence is on the rise quite quickly and it seems to be competing well to become dominant.  On the good news side,  seemingly about 14 residents of a care home all got it but none of them have become seriously ill.  An excellent indicator of the ongoing protection conferred by the first generation of vaccines.  Worth keeping an eye on regarding it's impact on the non-vaccinated population and,  more importantly,  how it impacts on the route map out of restrictions.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Seemingly an associated sub-variant of the India variant is being tracked by the genomic sequencing as a rising variant in around 40 clusters throughout the UK.  It's incidence is on the rise quite quickly and it seems to be competing well to become dominant.  On the good news side,  seemingly about 14 residents of a care home all got it but none of them have become seriously ill.  An excellent indicator of the ongoing protection conferred by the first generation of vaccines.  Worth keeping an eye on regarding it's impact on the non-vaccinated population and,  more importantly,  how it impacts on the route map out of restrictions.

👍

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Bojo is expected on Monday to announce the end of face masks in high school. Well at least in the classroom, 

A move I hope we see replicated in Scotland very soon.

Is he, Aye!? 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Truggered at the mere mention of Bojo :pleasing:

:pleasing:

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Bojo is expected on Monday to announce the end of face masks in high school. Well at least in the classroom, 

Should never have been brought in to begin with imo.

Can work in the office sans-mask but largely unaffected kids can't go to school without them. Just space them out.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Blue letter received, I'll be double dunted by next Friday. :pleasing: 

Is that before or after your 2nd Vaacine?

14 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I got the Pzifer, pretty glad tbh, not so much the blood clot issue more people don’t seem to take much reaction from that from what I can tell. 

Seems really random. My dad didn't get any side effects at all from either AZ dose. My mum felt rotten after the first but absolutely fine after the 2nd. I was a bit ropey after the first, hoping next week's is a breeze.

Where I'm volunteering we all got AZ, if not received already elsewhere.

We are waiting on our second but none of us oldies have had any side effects however the younger event staff (males and females) in early 20s got home and felt poorly for 12 hours.  Their boss in early 30s was fine.

That said, one of my co volunteers son came back from a skiing trip in Italy last early March and the whole family lost their sense of taste,smell at the outset long before it was believed loss was a Covid symptom.  He got Pfeizer through volunteering at Western and his wife AZ through her work and pretty much same day as receiving were floored with bad flu symptoms for 48 hours.

Edited by DETTY29

Re that 'offer' of an alternative certainly for NHS Lothian and the u30s it wasn't a choice for them, it was 'you will no longer be given or offered AZ you will be sent to a centre with Pfeizer (or Moderna).

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Thats quite interesting, and show how views to things can change over a relatively short period of time over ‘safe’ vaccines; nothing is without risk. Also provides a view of how the risk is viewed in those age groups.

The missus and father in law to get their jab tomorrow. The missus got a phone call can you do today before 4, couldn’t make that so tomorrow it is.

No letter or text anything just turn up. The amount of questioning and ID requests I faced when I got my first jab, I do not expect tomorrow to go smoothly.

Could depend on what type of vaccine centre folk go to and always best to have letter (if sent, received) but name, date of birth and post code should do it, even if folk turn up with nothing.

If nothing at all the event staff will radio the registration team who will check the system to check if the person is booked in (for that day) and as long as booked in, good to go.  As details are open on screen, the registration person may not take other folk until 'you' are through so as not to have to reopen 'your details again.

But yep there is always a risk of that call that someone doesn't see whole process through and left stranded.  But then again, if the person calling up is from the vaccination centre then you would like to think a hand would go up to say, 'here's the list I contacted to come in'

For you, seems like you've come across a right jobsworth or a right cock up with the scheduling system.

Moray to speed up vaccine for 18 - 39 year old due to outbreaks, as well as considering door to door testing in Elgin.

I do recall a few weeks ago Israel, despite how quickly they were vaccinating the population, started a dedicated campaign to encourage their younger age groups as take up wasn't that great from the 'invincibles' populous.

The virus was mutating(not sure that is correct term) amongst the non vaccinated leading to more severe symptoms than normal and greater signs of potential long covid.

Edited by DETTY29

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Cheers she and the FIL have to go to RHS and have been given a name to request, who I assume will confirm they ok. 

I think it’s fair to say myself and family has not had the best experience of vaccine roll outs, thankfully we seem to be in a minority.

Hope all goes well.

Good they have a name.  There will also be a lead clinical nurse on duty who is in charge to escalate too.

I'm pretty sure RHS is still on Pfeizer.

We had a new start yesterday under 30, but as we are doing AZ, he was sent to RHS to get his first dose.

Safe for all.

Safe for u30s 

Safe for u40s 

Next month? Safe for u50s? 

No wonder some people are sceptical about getting them. 

Your risk of getting seriously ill from covid is low, albeit not zero, so here, take this vaccine we appear to not really know much about yet? Ermmm, maybe not.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

You've put it better than I could.

I'm not anti-vaxx, but I'm anti this vaccination, for now.

I'm not even anti this one, I'm anti the narrative they're putting around it.

'Do your bit get vaccinated, not doing so is bad etc.' 

If the risk/reward for some individuals is actually finely balanced just be up front about that and if they don't know, say they don't know. Don't pretend it's all great and then start saying actually maybe it's not. What's to say they won't rollback on their assurances the other ones are totally safe too?

Pretty funny if not so serious that 1 mainland area may not get to T3 in 10 days time.

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

There should be an “ugly” grading scale for the removal of face masks……some coupons deserve to stay covered up.

highlandjambo3
33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Portugal is on list :pleasing:

Is it safe to assume people from these 12 green countries we can visit are also allowed to travel to the UK or, is that to simple.

48 minutes ago, Barack said:

Aye. Get a good tan down the Faroe Islands. 

There will sun, beaches and limited hoops to jump through at a couple of those destinations come 17th May I'm sure.

Winter parka can replace the beach towel if needed. Anywhere will be a welcome change of scenery. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

I'll just take Scotland for now as punishment. Actually going up in two weeks for a long weekend for my Birthday, to spend it with my parents. Before two weeks there in September.

It's the little things, as you said.

I'd take that over a holiday too in fairness but I'm hoping when I'm up next week for work I might get to see family too. Can't wait to see them.

Will be great for you to have a long weekend with your folks, enjoy!!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic