Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

36 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Considering there is very little in approach across all 4 nations, it's just nuances and timing, vaccine roll out pretty much the same, it possibly could be.

Very much a 'sake Boris versus k'off Sturgeon.

Or not.

Hopefully it's just local outbreaks than can be managed.

Last post in this thread. The stats quoted are totally wrong but that won't stop posters piling on to have a go at the SG. Fill your boots (not directed at you) 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Currently lying by the pool at my apartment in Turkey so functioning quite well thank you very much

Nice one. Holiday or resident?

I've only been to Turkey once. Quite liked the place but didn't get a minutes peace for folk trying to sell you stuff or get you into their bar/etc. 

The highlight was watching a group of boorish, muscle bound Russians getting booted to **** by tooled up locals at the quay side after refusing to pay their bar bill on a boat trip.

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Says the guy that posted a picture of (what one assumes to be) a dug toalie.

Don't worry red, I'll go back to my self-isolation and leave you to your safe space. Didn't realise that a bit of attempted humour and genuine frustration with how some folk are dodging about as if proximity to others is going to kill them would upset you. It was not intended.

However, - and this is just as much for the likes of @XB52 as it is for red - please bear in mind that the number-crunchers and rule-abiders don't have a monopoly on feeling disgruntled about the quality of the discourse around the topic of lockdowns, deaths, and consequences of the pandemic.

Says the guy that posted about “the keechie breek brigade”.

If you want quality discourse perhaps not resorting to condescending mockery might be a start.

Edited by FWJ

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, FWJ said:

If you want quality discourse perhaps not resorting to condescending mockery might be a start.

:greatpost:

17 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Returns from going off in a huff after being banned from a thread. Immediately breaks about 3 rules on his first post back.    :vrface: 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Guys, that's me out. It has been a blast but the "critical thinkers" have now become a tsunami with the return of one of their major cheerleaders (announcing his intent immediately with his inane comment that the "keechie breek brigade [are] still probably hiding behind their sofas with three masks on"), and the thread, which was recently pleasantly starting to show consensus and genuine "agreement to disagree", will no doubt now deteriorate further. It's simply not fun coming on here and seeing all the shite that gets posted and I'm not knocking my pan out to produce stats in such an environment. These guys aren't interested in stats, logic and reasoning, they're interested in dogma. To the good guys left on the thread, my apologies, but you should still be able to get everything you need at the Travelling Tabby site.

Thanks Red,the un-brain dead amongst us have really appreciated your work 👍

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Returns from going off in a huff after being banned from a thread. Immediately breaks about 3 rules on his first post back.    :vrface: 

The said poster is a cock.

On 16/03/2020 at 19:11, JamesM48 said:

Been to Benidorm a few times...and yes the polis there dont take any s***  I expect a few of those yobs will be at the sharp end of this if they continue to disobey the new rules

On 18/03/2020 at 19:46, JamesM48 said:

Sorry to hear about losing their jobs.  Thats another stress for people already anxious about it.  Then theres the cleaning regime Im doing now which is stressful.  Incredible to think what ones hands touch every day.  Example went to local shop to buy   a can of coke..  leave house,  have to  open stair door ( metal door knob) then enter shop ( metal frame to touch) then buy the can of coke ( which staff member has put on the shelf ,  pay for it * by card ( the safest way) get out the shop back home then wash my hands for the 20 secs...other things to watch in house ..door handles, fridge door, microwave door, light switches, phone obviously, mouse on laptop, toilet seat , and ensure when u have done a poo to make sure toilet lid is down when u flush, clean the metal flush button,    it goes on and on...wash hands again....ive got dettol Im  using now as i only found out wet ones are no good against it...so ive bought 6 cartons of alcohol wet ones from ebay for £33 ....oh and cleaning the remote controls for tv and recorder and amazon fire stick...also apparently it can stay on clothes for a day or so...so clean clothes every day esp outer layers....

On 18/03/2020 at 19:59, JamesM48 said:

Tell me  about it best just to stay in for days at an end to protect oneself and only go out for shopping

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Weren't you at one point almost bathing in dettol mate? 😄

He can look out for his own as is his wont, but his wonky thinking and, for a Doctor, ridiculous rejection of evidence has bit him on the arse. I won't indulge in schadenfreude but, equally, if he was in a position of influence you do wonder how many others heeded his advice because a proportion of them, too, may well have needlessly exposed themselves to risk or could have caught the bloody thing if treated by him directly.  

Apologies, not quite 'bathing' in Dettol. Seemed to be in favour of affirmative action against Covid rule breakers (or at least the ones in Benidorm anyway).  

Governor Tarkin
51 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hiya, Guv.

Looks like I'm the proverbial fart in the elevator around here, so will drift off as quickly as I wafted back in yesterday.

It's not your fault if other folk have a different sense of humour, jonesy. Pop back on when Mrs Brown's Boys is on the telly and this thread will be a friendlier place.

33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Ohh outside table and drinks flowing :pleasing:

:pleasing:

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

My concern would be that a lot of the KBB have had the vaccine and, rather than having pumped them full of blood clots, it has totally shut down their amygdala.

Still, looks like their personal abuse cortex is completely unimpeded, thankfully.

Personal abuse is always a sign of having lost the debate. Unfortunately,  closing down speech that doesn't chime with the prescribed viewpoint of the day is a sign of the times, nowadays. The un-thinking woke thickos that infest our once proud universities tell you all we need to know about the slippery slope we are on. Critical thinking and challenging the consensus has never been more important. 

manaliveits105

Edinburgh 34 new cases according to travelling tabby - exactly same as Glasgow who used to be double ours  ! 

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Edinburgh 34 new cases according to travelling tabby - exactly same as Glasgow who used to be double ours  ! 

Edinburgh was only coming out of this when aligned with manky tinks from the west. Individual region numbers are a waste of time. When Glasgow is ready to have a pint inside we will all be allowed to. 

27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

My concern would be that a lot of the KBB have had the vaccine and, rather than having pumped them full of blood clots, it has totally shut down their amygdala.

Still, looks like their personal abuse cortex is completely unimpeded, thankfully.

Hing aboot and I'll see how long it takes me to make you cry. 

18 hours ago, jonesy said:

Hope all's well with you, too.

No progress with the godmother in the Netherlands, sadly, but thanks for asking. 

Both in-laws in China headed for hospital appointments soon. Hope nothing serious comes of them, as big decisions will need to be made re time/cost of quarantines and the need to see people/provide support.

Still, one family member's birthday today, so a nice wee dinner with aunts/grandparents this evening helped take our minds off.

All good here thank you , sorry to hear that , fingers crossed there is progress soon.

Hopefully all goes well with the in-laws.

Glad you had a nice evening and got a wee break from it all 👍🏻

NTIA (Night Time Industries Association) Scotland launching legal action against Scottish Government over coronavirus policies and lack of support for businesses who are accruing unsubstainable debt.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/ntia-scotland-launches-legal-action-against-scottish-government-coronavirus-policies-2931335

In a statement, NTIA Scotland said: “Scottish Government support has been wholly inadequate to compensate for operating losses and a majority of businesses have now incurred unsustainable debt as a result.”

Noting that 39,000 jobs are at risk, it argued that the costs of rent, staff furlough, insurance and other expenses are now far exceeding the income gained from revenue and government grants.

They said the average small business in the sector has now exceeded £150,000 in coronavirus-related debts.

NTIA Scotland said that they agreed that initial lockdowns and restrictions on nightlife were necessary, “thanks to the heroic efforts of our NHS workers, vaccine researchers and scientists, and the immensely successful roll-out of the vaccine, COVID-19 no longer presents the threat to public health that it did even a few short months ago.”

The statement continued: “It is therefore the position of the NTIA that the restrictions imposed on hospitality businesses by Scottish Government with regards to capacity, activities and operating hours are no longer justifiable or proportionate and any continued application of such emergency restrictions would now be in breach of Article 1 of the First Protocol to the European Convention on Human Rights, which applies in the UK by virtue of the Human Rights Act 1998.”

NTIA Scotland has now hired a legal team to argue its case in court at the earliest practical opportunity.

This comes after an open letter from the Scottish Commercial Music Industry Task Force (SCMIT) this week, which called on the Scottish Government to provide urgent support in order to prevent the “collapse” of the live music industry in Scotland.

“Scottish music has been muted by government-imposed restrictions. It’s been left behind the rest of the UK, which will have a catastrophic impact on our businesses, freelancers and artists,” the letter said.

JudyJudyJudy

Had a good family day at the museum . Staff didn’t seem that bothered if you wore a mask or not I noticed.  Good to see no heavy handed Gestapo type tactics from them on those who didn’t . Considering the place is massive and visitors were / are strictly limited i can’t see much of a risk in this type of environment. It has to start somewhere 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Reckon @jonesy would knock an alcoholic grandad silly tbh. He would just need to say something, not very nice about the fish and you’d be on the floor bubbling like a bairn. It’s what you do on here after all 🤷🏻‍♂️

It hasn’t half triggered some folk. From posters announcing their thread retirements, again, and others threatening violence. Some posters really struggle with emotion control.

I am incredulous with the  turn of events . Gob smacked . It’s like someone actually had a different view point and expressed it and everything exploded ! I thought that is what these forums were about ? ( different views ) I’ve had more than enough mud/ insults / etc thrown at me but I accept it’s all part of the game on this and I’m still here . It’s an Internet forum and not real life to me as such .  Dr Melfi would have a field day analysising this group 😂

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Where did you go? Was looking for somewhere to maybe take kids on Sunday just to get out house etc for a bit.

The royal museum chamber street 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Reckon @jonesy would knock an alcoholic grandad silly tbh. He would just need to say something, not very nice about the fish and you’d be on the floor bubbling like a bairn. It’s what you do on here after all 🤷🏻‍♂️

It hasn’t half triggered some folk. From posters announcing their thread retirements, again, and others threatening violence. Some posters really struggle with emotion control.

060A9697-14B3-411D-BE4A-CA548F768B2C.png

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Lord BJ said:

Any decent exhibits or just the usual fair? Was it busy?

Usual stuff the kids liked the stuffed animals 🧸 dolly the sheep and the train engines too . One of the kids is 9 and got a “ but bored “ as he was dying to get to his football training ! No it was  not that busy at all due to their covid regulations so perfectly safe sans masks or with them ! 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Usual stuff the kids liked the stuffed animals 🧸 dolly the sheep and the train engines too . One of the kids is 9 and got a “ but bored “ as he was dying to get to his football training ! No it was  not that busy at all due to their covid regulations so perfectly safe sans masks or with them ! 

I took a day off and went up town to do a bit of shopping - needed new shoes, and met a mate for coffee (too cold to drink outside).

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

Currently lying by the pool at my apartment in Turkey so functioning quite well thank you very much

A good Turk walks to the right. 

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Nice one. Holiday or resident?

I've only been to Turkey once. Quite liked the place but didn't get a minutes peace for folk trying to sell you stuff or get you into their bar/etc. 

The highlight was watching a group of boorish, muscle bound Russians getting booted to **** by tooled up locals at the quay side after refusing to pay their bar bill on a boat trip.

Didn't you once work in a Kebab shop ? 

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Guys, that's me out. It has been a blast but the "critical thinkers" have now become a tsunami with the return of one of their major cheerleaders (announcing his intent immediately with his inane comment that the "keechie breek brigade [are] still probably hiding behind their sofas with three masks on"), and the thread, which was recently pleasantly starting to show consensus and genuine "agreement to disagree", will no doubt now deteriorate further. It's simply not fun coming on here and seeing all the shite that gets posted and I'm not knocking my pan out to produce stats in such an environment. These guys aren't interested in stats, logic and reasoning, they're interested in dogma. To the good guys left on the thread, my apologies, but you should still be able to get everything you need at the Travelling Tabby site.

Thanks for posting these over the last year or so. I keep my own statistics but the raw data only, and your pleasingly readable table was a welcome and clear graphical exposition of the state of the spread of the virus and associated data trends.

Sorry you've opted out but don't blame you  - life is too short  to bother with the negativity .

If you are ever passing through Dunkeld / Birnam way drop me a  pm and  I'll buy you a real pint or provide a coffee and cakes on the Herbertson 'grounds'

Edited by scott herbertson

There’s expressing a difference of opinion and there’s mocking the ‘keechie breek brigade’ and then deploring the poor quality of discourse.

JudyJudyJudy
34 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I took a day off and went up town to do a bit of shopping - needed new shoes, and met a mate for coffee (too cold to drink outside).

Sounds great . The weather got sunnier later but still cold . Town was heaving . Yes like you still haven’t had pint outside as too cold ! 

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

@JamesM48 who the new avatar, I kind of want it to be you in drag.

I

😂😂 er I went like that to a fancy dress party ! That’s Mae West . She was one sassy , intelligent , talented , bawdy sexy woman 

Linda Bauld been on Radio Scotland.

Very optimistic Scotland on track for L0 by end June.

She says get yourself out and about especially for outdoor stuff so we can prove and go to next stage.

As long as track and trace works to get local lockdowns sorted we'll be in a good position.

Edited by DETTY29

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Sounds great . The weather got sunnier later but still cold . Town was heaving . Yes like you still haven’t had pint outside as too cold ! 

First time I've met any of my friends in person since September, so a good start to trying to return to some normality.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

First time I've met any of my friends in person since September, so a good start to trying to return to some normality.

That’s great to hear 

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Get the duffel coat on James.

Or take your own hand gel bottle that's got a wee vodka or gin in it and get inside.

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I

😂😂 er I went like that to a fancy dress party ! That’s Mae West . She was one sassy , intelligent , talented , bawdy sexy woman 

Mae West was a legend. Whats that a whole footie team , 55 of them nae worries bus them over ill take them all on.... 

She was quality

manaliveits105

Guys that’s me I’m going now and I won’t be back 

till after my tea :P

Just heard on the covid radio advert that 1 in 3 infected are asymptomatic. Wasn't that the ratio this time last year?

If so, the vaccine must not have had an effect on reducing symptoms down to nothing?

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Get the duffel coat on James.

Or take your own hand gel bottle that's got a wee vodka or gin in it and get inside.

Good idea 

17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just heard on the covid radio advert that 1 in 3 infected are asymptomatic. Wasn't that the ratio this time last year?

If so, the vaccine must not have had an effect on reducing symptoms down to nothing?

1 in 3 unvaccinated people. 

JudyJudyJudy
39 minutes ago, sadj said:

Mae West was a legend. Whats that a whole footie team , 55 of them nae worries bus them over ill take them all on.... 

She was quality

She certainly was. Very witty and intelligent . Wrote most of her own plays and other materials and despite having a bawdy reputation she actually didnt drink or smoke. She had many male friends though and had a few black male friends too. When she lived in an apartment block in LA she was informed that she wouldnt  be allowed any black visitors.  So she promptly bought the rest of the apartments... Legend 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

She certainly was. Very witty and intelligent . Wrote most of her own plays and other materials and despite having a bawdy reputation she actually didnt drink or smoke. She had many male friends though and had a few black male friends too. When she lived in an apartment block in LA she was informed that she wouldnt  be allowed any black visitors.  So she promptly bought the rest of the apartments... Legend 

Haha love that 👌🏻

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

1 in 3 unvaccinated people. 

Ah makes sense, didn't catch that part. Also reassuring. Cheers 👍

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's not your fault if other folk have a different sense of humour, jonesy. Pop back on when Mrs Brown's Boys is on the telly and this thread will be a friendlier place.

:pleasing:

If that's what awaits us post covid, I'm regretting getting jagged up now. 

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Maybe that’s what they mean about losing your sense of taste with COVID?

As I’m both vaccine-free and virus-free, I can confirm that said comedy show is unadulterated pish. Happy viewing...

I cant stand " Mrs Browns Boy" its awful 

Adam_the_legend
6 hours ago, XB52 said:

Last post in this thread. The stats quoted are totally wrong but that won't stop posters piling on to have a go at the SG. Fill your boots (not directed at you) 

I posted the original tweet. Do you have a link to the correct stats?

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Guys that’s me I’m going now and I won’t be back 

till after my tea :P

To be fair you were gone longer than Reds last dummy chucking episode. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

You’re quite right. It was a slapdash attempt at humour which has clearly had unintended consequences. Although as several posters have suggested, strops over such “inane” terms may indicate little more than an inability to deal with a mix of mild joshing and scepticism. 

However, let us not pretend that those who have disagreed - whether vocally or through their IRL actions - with the continued use of fear and headline statistics to manipulate the public over the last 13 months (often, but not always with good intent, IMO) are the only ones guilty of either mockery or condescension.

And, (adopting a Peter Falk voice) one more thing... it’s interesting that the KBB ‘jibe’ has been, possibly for good reason, raised a few hackles, and yet some punter lobbing back the rather impotent but no less insulting verbal hand grenade of ‘flat earther’ my way was ignored, alongside everyone’s favourite tartan-bedecked slow-cooker hard man telling me he was going to make me greet (perhaps he was just offering to lend me his Bambi DVD?).

The inability of those who see themselves as being ‘on the right side’ of thinking when it comes to restrictions and responses to this epidemic to genuinely appreciate the misgivings of those who advocate not only a different approach but a different mindset is little more than a social-media age playing out of Holy Willie’s Prayer. Kettles, pot is saying goodnight.

👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic