Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Back to 2005
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

if the picture attached is correct I’d say the changes are pretty significant. 

719836E0-7058-410E-8CD1-9782C9B40B48.jpeg

So we have reached insanity. Surely people will say enough is enough?

We cannot get back to normal with that as false positives alone will see us at least in level 2..

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You still in isolation?  Boredom getting to you and daytime drinking looking like a good past time?

Was supposed to get out this morning but our vessel has been held up outside the port since noon yesterday by 'red tape'. 💰💵

This is day 16. :muggy:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Back to 2005 said:

So we have reached insanity. Surely people will say enough is enough?

We cannot get back to normal with that as false positives alone will see us at least in level 2..

Cases are irrelevant once the majority are vaccinated. Basing the opening up of society on "cases" is nonsense. Hospitalisations and deaths are the key and, even then, that is an issue for the NHS and the govt. Our freedoms cannot be traded away just to "protect the NHS". It's arrant nonsense. 

Back to 2005
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Cases are irrelevant once the majority are vaccinated. Basing the opening up of society on "cases" is nonsense. Hospitalisations and deaths are the key and, even then, that is an issue for the NHS and the govt. Our freedoms cannot be traded away just to "protect the NHS". It's arrant nonsense. 

Ans so says anyone with a degree of sense but we are being led by Sturgeon and influenced by that Devri woman who is intent on zero covid.

Thos will be the end for hospitality and professional sport if it comes to play.

Brighton Jambo
5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Seriously, what do you suggest people do? 

Far from happy but absolutely no alternate other than shrug my shoulder and take the @jonesyapproach to the rules. 

I like a rant on the internet but it doesn’t achieve anything, other than triggering some dafties.

For a start vote for Labour or the Conservatives in the Scottish election.  If they don’t form the government after May 6th they don’t get to make the rules anymore.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Where are you in the 3rd world?

Angola.  :muggy:

15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Given the nick of a few folk I've seen online, it looks like the crowbar will not just be for the reluctant, but also for those who may have neglected to do their Joe Wicks exercises...

Best they stay inside given their super spreader status...

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes,  exactly James. Similar to headlines about, for example,  bacon rolls increasing your risk of cancer by 25%, but from miniscule to miniscule x 1.25. Nothing about the approach to Covid has been contextualised.  Reading out daily stats as a percentage of the population may have given a more realistic indication of the Covid threat . But the idea was to terrorise the population which will probably mean that when we open up again in the next few weeks,  some will need to be prised out of their house with a crow bar

Yes when it’s out Into context it’s make more sense but the media don’t do context ! I’ll happily be Running out my house when restrictions are lifted but that I’m actually hiding behind the sofa like 👍

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Barack said:

Figures. Take it easy over there.👍🏻

Cheers. :) 👍

9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The majority aren't vaccinated though. Around a third of the country have had 1 dose.

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

This guy gets it.

Westminster and Holyrood governments see the same data,  modelling and SAGE advice.  Neither government has a monopoly on being right or wrong.  Quite rightly,  either government requires to make decisions with SAGE advice forming only a part of the calculation.  It is never the be all and end all.

If the SG are set on a course that fundamentally diverges from England's imminent move out of lockdown then it will be more than aware that it will be highly unpopular and the divergence wont be sustainable beyond a small number of weeks if England proceeds successfully.

The result is that Scotland moves out of lockdown fairly soon after England or the Westminster government is forced into reverse gear.

Keeping Scotland in another version of lockdown while England goes to the pub is not a vote winner.  The crucial question for me is what has the SG seen in the SAGE advice that would lead the SG to expose itself to such a clear divergence and criticism.

Or maybe it hasn’t seen anything different in the data but to open up as fast as England would show that the UK government got something right (given it set out it’s road map first) and would also so eliminate her whole differentiation strategy that has been in place since day one.  

Her whole strategy has been based on more slow and more cautious than the Uk government, she was never going to abandon that now.  Fortunately that approach is proving ever more unpopular with the voters (see article on BBC news today) and so her hand will be forced especially with an election coming.  

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Or maybe it hasn’t seen anything different in the data but to open up as fast as England would show that the UK government got something right (given it set out it’s road map first) and would also so eliminate her whole differentiation strategy that has been in place since day one.  

Her whole strategy has been based on more slow and more cautious than the Uk government, she was never going to abandon that now.  Fortunately that approach is proving ever more unpopular with the voters (see article on BBC news today) and so her hand will be forced especially with an election coming.  

How would she know if the UK government got it right when it hasn't happened yet?

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Careful. That's where Jose Quitongo's uncle got eaten by a lion.

😬

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Red's going to have to get to a gym, pronto, if he's now having to go up against James and Lord BJ in the Wheatfield Warriors Showdown (arm wrestling division)! :) 

Best hope his LA opens in a low enough tier! 🙏

Lol 

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

A dance off or GTF.

Be careful what you wish for ! I won a dancing competition one time . Ok it was a  Xmas staff night at the Grovenor hotel ! I did the moves to “ staying alive “ i vaguely recall 😂😂

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think you've quoted the wrong article. However, totally agree about joggers. Best thing would be to ban jogging in the street completely. It spreads the virus, it's bad for their joints anyway, and the lycra offends me unless it's a particularly shapely young woman.

I checked and the article did show ? Yes it’s one sport I don’t get involved as your right it’s bad for your ankles . Lycra I can take or leave depending on the location ! 

4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think a lot of you are coming at this from the wrong angle, cases are not going to be holding us back in 8 weeks time, have a look where we should be in 8 weeks, the problem is everyone will be looking a too low a tier, not too high.

I hope not but if cases are still viewed as “high “  then this will impact on the tier an area is in irrespective of deaths / icu / hospitals . This is the big problem / issue regarding it and which concerns me and others 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yes they have seen the same data but interpreted it differently one would assume 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What was on the BBC news btw ? 

There was clearly a slight back peddling on the impact a vaccine would have once it arrived as it was being sold as a panacea when in development. Understandably once it became in reach (coupled with fears over it's efficacy on new strains) they had to row back a bit to stop people thinking it's all over now and causing chaos before it had been rolled out.

Now that it's looking very much like it is performing extremely well and the rollout has been excellent in terms of pace they UK government now seem quietly confident that they can deliver their roadmap out of this.

Too many people still seem stuck in the middle sector where they are placing far too much emphasis on the what could go wrong, despite it seeming that those coulds are not materialising.

Edited by Taffin

22 minutes ago, Dazo said:

if the picture attached is correct I’d say the changes are pretty significant. 

719836E0-7058-410E-8CD1-9782C9B40B48.jpeg

The previous nominal rates were not the effective ones. Imagine a council area with a rate of 300. It will also have other indicators, all which need to be in good order before it is considered for a tier drop. If the rate drops to 280, the other indicators will normally get a bit better too. In practice, it was only when the rate had dropped to around 150 that the other indicators had also dropped sufficiently to merit a change in tier. So, the nominal cut-offs were not the same as the effective cut-offs. I don't know any other way to explain this.

Back to 2005
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The majority aren't vaccinated though. Around a third of the country have had 1 dose.

Yes but the old and vulnerable have. So sorry that should be it. 

18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Was supposed to get out this morning but our vessel has been held up outside the port since noon yesterday by 'red tape'. 💰💵

This is day 16. :muggy:

in a really bad geordie accent

"day 16 in governor tarkins room, the isolation is going from bad to worse, he has run out of those mini bottles of spirits and is considering fashioning himself a still and getting some potatoes from room service to make moonshine"

GT "what is the worst that could happen, potatoes are a vegetable and a staple in the scottish diet, and so is alcohol"

GTs other self "you could also get some paint and do some potato stencil press drawings to pass the time"

Yes but the old and vulnerable have. So sorry that should be it. 

2 doses? I think you'll find that is not the case.

Brighton Jambo
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How would she know if the UK government got it right when it hasn't happened yet?

So you admit that it might not be based on the data and is actually just a political ploy to sit and wait and see what England does and go more slowly.

The chief medical officers of the four nations agreed unanimously to reduce the threat level.  They are all looking at the same data.  

1.  She could have gone faster as she keeps telling us we have a lower prevalence so actually that would be backed by data.

2.  She could go same pace as UK given our lower prevalence and it would still be positioned as more cautious.  Not so much backed by data but a compromise.  

3.  Despite our lower prevalence she can go slower than UK.   So not backed by data and purely political.  

Good news is she is losing support of voters at a time when she can least afford to.  Every cloud and all that.  

Brighton Jambo
20 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

But this approach is going to make her have to go faster than the Westminster Government.

Great minds! 

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

So you admit that it might not be based on the data and is actually just a political ploy to sit and wait and see what England does and go more slowly.

The chief medical officers of the four nations agreed unanimously to reduce the threat level.  They are all looking at the same data.  

1.  She could have gone faster as she keeps telling us we have a lower prevalence so actually that would be backed by data.

2.  She could go same pace as UK given our lower prevalence and it would still be positioned as more cautious.  Not so much backed by data but a compromise.  

3.  Despite our lower prevalence she can go slower than UK.   So not backed by data and purely political.  

Good news is she is losing support of voters at a time when she can least afford to.  Every cloud and all that.  

I said nothing of the sort. I just questioned how the SG could be admitting that England got something right when nobody knows if they have got it right yet. We won't know for several weeks yet how their easing of restriction works out.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I said nothing of the sort. I just questioned how the SG could be admitting that England got something right when nobody knows if they have got it right yet. We won't know for several weeks yet how their easing of restriction works out.

I think their plan is the right plan. Whether it's executed well, as you say, remains to be seen.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In years gone by, there was a very good reason why there were dedicated 'fever' hospitals, so as to keep the infected well away from the rest of the general hospital patients.

Maybe it's something which needs to looked at.

City Hospital in Edinburgh was one of them.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Back to 2005
22 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

2 doses? I think you'll find that is not the case.

Yes but it gives over 80% protection. If we are making sure the NHS is not overwhelmed as we were told then that has been achieved. 

Yes but it gives over 80% protection. If we are making sure the NHS is not overwhelmed as we were told then that has been achieved. 

Unknown protection over new variants.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

City Hospital in Edinburgh was the one.

Yes it was.

In the 80's it was the ENT hospital, got my tonsils out there in 1981 and then my septum straightened in the mid '80's.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

👍

11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Cheers 

So Edinburgh needs less than 250 cases a week to drop from level 3. 

Ridiculous. We won’t be back at football or in pubs anytime soon.

I've managed to wrestle the following info off the SG website:

Scottish numbers: 2 March 2021

Summary

• 542 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+156; down 113 from a week ago]
  • 14,537 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 4.4% of these were positive [+4,555; -0.1%]
  • 33 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+33]
  • 71 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [=]
  • 784 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-40]
  • 1,634,361 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 84,445 have received their second dose [+22,783; +5,580]

Infection rate is not irrelevant.  Not yet during the initial unlocking phase while vaccinations have only gone down through the over 50s and into the over 40s.  Ultimately the hope is that the infection rate will be practically irrelevant.

When the great unlock occurs there will still be a great big section of the adult population still to have a vaccine.  18 through to 40s.  We'll be entering a phase of almost no suppression and infections will rise amongst those people.  Much lower death rate.. yes.  Much lower hospitalisation rate.. yes.  But the important variable is volume/scale.  Unfortunately large volume multiplied by a very small rate can still produce a level of hospitalisation that is deemed too high.

Infections will not immediately be irrelevant.  But could become so.

Governor Tarkin
40 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

GTs other self "you could also get some paint and do some potato stencil press drawings to pass the time"

Almost at the stage where I'd drink the paint tbh.

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes it was.

In the 80's it was the ENT hospital, got my tonsils out there in 1981 and then my septum straightened in the mid '80's.

Had my septum straightened there twice in the early '90's.

:muggy:

The latest 7-day stats:

Pre- 7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     28 Feb 27 Feb 26 Feb 25 Feb 24 Feb ... 20 Dec
Scotland     76 78 -2   84 89 94 100 98 ... 98
Falkirk 4 2 158 162 -4   172 178 191 196 209 ... 60
Stirling 4 3 155 155 0   154 148 148 141 132 ... 70
Clackmannanshire 4 3 144 126 +18   138 130 147 151 167 ... 148
West Lothian 4 3 126 128 -2   130 139 151 166 165 ... 83
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 118 128 -10   142 154 162 178 166 ... 120
Renfrewshire 4 3 117 121 -4   132 130 135 138 126 ... 116
North Lanarkshire 4 3 115 122 -7   131 144 153 167 157 ... 119
Glasgow City 4 3 110 113 -3   123 128 132 143 139 ... 129
Midlothian 4 3 105 106 -1   112 128 135 147 129 ... 136
East Lothian 4 3 100 95 +5   115 124 119 118 108 ... 148
South Lanarkshire 4 3 95 96 -1   102 110 116 123 118 ... 120
East Renfrewshire 4 3 83 75 +8   92 85 94 117 116 ... 101
East Ayrshire 4 3 81 88 -7   98 114 124 146 138 ... 153
Dundee City 4 3 74 70 +4   68 64 56 56 59 ... 113
North Ayrshire 4 3 72 74 -2   79 94 109 116 111 ... 175
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 69 77 -8   88 88 96 99 95 ... 70
Edinburgh City 4 3 63 67 -4   74 79 87 91 93 ... 109
Perth & Kinross 4 3 58 60 -2   58 61 63 61 60 ... 126
Fife 4 3 56 58 -2   61 62 69 65 71 ... 97
Inverclyde 4 2 51 55 -4   55 57 51 46 37 ... 59
South Ayrshire 4 3 45 49 -4   56 60 65 72 62 ... 98
Angus 4 2 44 46 -2   50 53 40 46 46 ... 37
Andy Moray 4 1 40 38 +2   45 56 56 53 56 ... 13
Highland 4/3 1 32 30 +2   33 39 45 49 52 ... 17
Aberdeen City 4 3 29 29 0   28 25 25 25 25 ... 163
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 26 32 -6   34 34 43 50 52 ... 32
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4 1 22 34 -12   30 34 30 37 52 ... 22
Aberdeenshire 4 3 17 18 -1   25 28 30 35 36 ... 88
Argyll & Bute 4/3 2 17 17 0   14 15 12 14 35 ... 29
Scottish Borders 4 1 16 15 +1   17 21 30 35 30 ... 85
Orkney Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 4 ... 0
Shetland Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 0 ... 0

7-day averages                          
Tests     18616 18830 -214   19169 19211 19249 19652 19180 ... 16839
Positivity rate %     3.7 3.8 -0.1   4.0 4.2 4.4 4.6 4.6 ... 5.2
Hospital (non-ICU)     814 852 -38   894 933 965 1005 1046 ... 975
ICU     79 83 -4   87 90 94 96 97 ... 50
Deaths     23 26 -3   26 26 28 28 32 ... 25
All Vaccinations     30052 29659 +393   28970 28030 27586 27644 28245    
1st Dose     24160 23727 +433   23108 22501 22397 23002 24000    
2nd Dose     5892 5932 -40   5862 5529 5189 4642 4245    

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Scotland will be on less than 250 cases a week by the end of April

Admire the optimism but can’t see it.

So our FM once more looks to make political points out of a crisis

Come on then lets here the rousing levels of support for her actions from the fans

Her own feelings have overtaken what is right for the country and to be honest lets hope she gets a kicking from the Salmond case to get her gone once and for all.....like Boris her chance was to lead us out of the vaccination process and you'd think that would be straight forward but oh no she wants to make it as difficult as possible

He is now in danger of being more popular than she is within Scotland and one thing she will quickly realise is that when people see advances in England in terms of fewer restrictions they will not sit idly by

The lack of backbone from the FM supporters in her party is frightening acting like a puppy who wants its stomach tickled

Of course this will only be clear in some 6 to 8 weeks and she might be better praying for an outbreak otherwise she will be seen for what she is and it won't be long till the people wave goodbye

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day stats:

Pre- 7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     28 Feb 27 Feb 26 Feb 25 Feb 24 Feb ... 20 Dec
Scotland     76 78 -2   84 89 94 100 98 ... 98
Falkirk 4 2 158 162 -4   172 178 191 196 209 ... 60
Stirling 4 3 155 155 0   154 148 148 141 132 ... 70
Clackmannanshire 4 3 144 126 +18   138 130 147 151 167 ... 148
West Lothian 4 3 126 128 -2   130 139 151 166 165 ... 83
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 118 128 -10   142 154 162 178 166 ... 120
Renfrewshire 4 3 117 121 -4   132 130 135 138 126 ... 116
North Lanarkshire 4 3 115 122 -7   131 144 153 167 157 ... 119
Glasgow City 4 3 110 113 -3   123 128 132 143 139 ... 129
Midlothian 4 3 105 106 -1   112 128 135 147 129 ... 136
East Lothian 4 3 100 95 +5   115 124 119 118 108 ... 148
South Lanarkshire 4 3 95 96 -1   102 110 116 123 118 ... 120
East Renfrewshire 4 3 83 75 +8   92 85 94 117 116 ... 101
East Ayrshire 4 3 81 88 -7   98 114 124 146 138 ... 153
Dundee City 4 3 74 70 +4   68 64 56 56 59 ... 113
North Ayrshire 4 3 72 74 -2   79 94 109 116 111 ... 175
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 69 77 -8   88 88 96 99 95 ... 70
Edinburgh City 4 3 63 67 -4   74 79 87 91 93 ... 109
Perth & Kinross 4 3 58 60 -2   58 61 63 61 60 ... 126
Fife 4 3 56 58 -2   61 62 69 65 71 ... 97
Inverclyde 4 2 51 55 -4   55 57 51 46 37 ... 59
South Ayrshire 4 3 45 49 -4   56 60 65 72 62 ... 98
Angus 4 2 44 46 -2   50 53 40 46 46 ... 37
Andy Moray 4 1 40 38 +2   45 56 56 53 56 ... 13
Highland 4/3 1 32 30 +2   33 39 45 49 52 ... 17
Aberdeen City 4 3 29 29 0   28 25 25 25 25 ... 163
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 26 32 -6   34 34 43 50 52 ... 32
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4 1 22 34 -12   30 34 30 37 52 ... 22
Aberdeenshire 4 3 17 18 -1   25 28 30 35 36 ... 88
Argyll & Bute 4/3 2 17 17 0   14 15 12 14 35 ... 29
Scottish Borders 4 1 16 15 +1   17 21 30 35 30 ... 85
Orkney Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 4 ... 0
Shetland Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 0 ... 0

7-day averages                          
Tests     18616 18830 -214   19169 19211 19249 19652 19180 ... 16839
Positivity rate %     3.7 3.8 -0.1   4.0 4.2 4.4 4.6 4.6 ... 5.2
Hospital (non-ICU)     814 852 -38   894 933 965 1005 1046 ... 975
ICU     79 83 -4   87 90 94 96 97 ... 50
Deaths     23 26 -3   26 26 28 28 32 ... 25
All Vaccinations     30052 29659 +393   28970 28030 27586 27644 28245    
1st Dose     24160 23727 +433   23108 22501 22397 23002 24000    
2nd Dose     5892 5932 -40   5862 5529 5189 4642 4245    

👍

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Brian Dundas said:

What do you think is going to drive the numbers up over the next 8 weeks?

There is very little that can happen anywhere to drive the numbers up, once they are falling in a lockdown they keep falling in general, add in the vaccination program and I can't see how we will not be at extremely low levels in 8 weeks time. 

This week is a critical one to watch, today's numbers were important, but if we end this week better than last Friday I can't see us reversing the numbers until we start to open up again.

Being positive.

😃

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Except that 8 weeks is still a ****ing long way off!!

We'll no doubt have a few bumps along the road, but we're certainly heading in the right direction and, imo at least, the outlook is brighter than it was for a long long while.

Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Almost at the stage where I'd drink the paint tbh.

Had my septum straightened there twice in the early '90's.

:muggy:

Not made much of a difference, nose is still blocked most of the time.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Except that 8 weeks is still a ****ing long way off!!

It is.

I’ve told my mate to hang in there.

🍺👍

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I see Nicola Sturgeon has announced that they will likely be accelerating the exit from lockdown, must have been reading my thoughts on here today.

you would think there is some sort of election on the horizon

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I see Nicola Sturgeon has announced that they will likely be accelerating the exit from lockdown, must have been reading my thoughts on here today.

Or reading the latest opinion polls and noting a growing sense of dissatisfaction amongst  the population ? 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

We can all leave our homes (soon),

We can all leave our homes (soon),

The lockdown is over (soon),

We can all leave our homes (soon).

Unfortunately this will appease and placate many ! Crumbs thrown at them really . 

Jambo-Jimbo

A man & a woman both from the Wirral have been fined £10k each after failing to quarantine after a holiday in Dubai.

What makes it worse is that they took several flights on the way home to try and cover up that they'd been in Dubai and then failed to disclose on the forms that they had been in a Red Listed country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-56241663

£10k fine, should be looking at a jail term for this deliberate & blatant attempt to avoid quarantining.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic