Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:biggrin2: I wouldn't have minded if it was one of the many tidy birds that I see jogging round about here

Unfortunately for you Nucky they're keen to socially distance from you (to an extreme). :lol:

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
34 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Unfortunately for you Nucky they're keen to socially distance from you (to an extreme). :lol:

:sniff:

JudyJudyJudy

Following on from the joggers comments yesterday I found this Bert interesting about transmission . Recent study from December 2020 in

Summary

"Sars-Cov-02 is NOT a highly infectious disease, having only a 15% chance of cross infection if you spend a long time in the company of a symptomatic person.
Here is the latest study and it shows your risk of infection is even lower. 
You have a 17% chance of catching the virus from someone also living in your home. If that person is your spouse, the risk is highest, it will rise to 33%. But remember this is whom you'd sleep beside, be most intimate with, etc.
If the person is your child, they have virtually no chance of catching it from you. 
However if the person is just a close contact at work or study (indoor, poorly ventilated place) you have a 5% chance of catching it from a symptomatic person.
You have no chance of catching, it from an asymptomatic or Pre-symptomatic person.
Remember asymptomatic transmission is the reason you are wearing face masks, jumping from dot to dot on the supermarket floor, chasing one way systems everywhere, and people are treating strangers like toxic waste.”    

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774102?fbclid=IwAR3P-RbY9ojo5xvL-BQ9-BQzqISAb9H7dxmDT0cVxMTyfoZPMZGiUlwTmwo

13 hours ago, Taffin said:

If a single dose reduces hospitalisation by the stated 80% then that's surely more than enough to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. 

If it does and that is still great news, it is still an additional 20% resource on the NHS that they hadn't modelled for 18, even 12 months ago so Covid will still be having a very large impact that will need resourced up to allow for other NHS services to get back to some form of normality.

The NHS always copes to one extent or another I suppose, it just has to delay or cancel, reprioritise especially as people's ability to breathe at that moment in time will take priority. 

Of course that 80% isn't a simple 20% because hopefully the length of time spent in hospital is a lot less, especially in ICU but apparently as we get better treatments and the younger and stronger people are that end up in hospital, the longer their stay as they have a better chance of coming out the other side. 

Edited by DETTY29

I've tested covid positive. Had my first dose Jag and I'm a pretty fit 30year old.

I was frustrated at first at the thought of bring cooped up for ten days.

I ran over 30km over first two days on my treadmill.

Now it's absolutely kicking the ars* out me. And that's with the vaccine

Numbers are meant to be going down yet I know more people now that's had it than ever. Maybe just spiked in my area.

Stay safe folks

13 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I've tested covid positive. Had my first dose Jag and I'm a pretty fit 30year old.

Numbers are meant to be going down yet I know more people now that's had it than ever. Maybe just spiked in my area.

Stay safe folks

Hope it's not too bad for you over the next few days.

When were you vaccinated?

38 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

If it does and that is still great news, it is still an additional 20% resource on the NHS that they hadn't modelled for 18, even 12 months ago so Covid will still be having a very large impact that will need resourced up to allow for other NHS services to get back to some form of normality.

It's not an additional 20%, it's 20% of the additional Covid impact.

There was c.5 million hospitalisations in 2019 in England and Covid has since caused 380,000 hospitalisations in England. Allowing for the base 5 million to stay broadly the same then it's around an additional 7-8% increase in total and if you account for the vaccination reducing that Covid figure by 80% then it's an increase in hospitalisations of 1.2% from 2019

Given the drop off of flu and assuming that some of those hospitalised with Covid would have been hospitalised with something else regardless, then it would potentially leave net less hospitalisations.

Edit: maybe not net less but relatively flat.

I appreciate the strain on the NHS is more than just hospitalisations though.

The NHS always copes to one extent or another I suppose, it just has to delay or cancel, reprioritise especially as people's ability to breathe at that moment in time will take priority. 

Of course that 80% isn't a simple 20% because hopefully the length of time spent in hospital is a lot less, especially in ICU but apparently as we get better treatments and the younger and stronger people are that end up in hospital, the longer their stay as they have a better chance of coming out the other side. 

Edited by Taffin

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There was c.5 million hospitalisations in 2019 in England and Covid has since caused 380,000 hospitalisations in England. Allowing for the base 5 million to stay broadly the same then it's around an additional 7-8% increase in total and if you account for the vaccination reducing that Covid figure by 80% then it's an increase in hospitalisations of 1.2% from 2019

Given the drop off of flu and assuming that some of those hospitalised with Covid would have been hospitalised with something else regardless, then it would potentially leave net less hospitalisations.

Yes, sorry.

15 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Hope it's not too bad for you over the next few days.

When were you vaccinated?

Mid Feb. Over 2 weeks ago.

It's definitely helped but initially I took it for granted I'd cope ok. It's got worse as it's went on. So far nothing major just like a cold and aching all over. But hoping I avoid the worse symptoms. Mrs has basically slept for 3 days solid.

10 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Yes, sorry.

No need to apologise, it was interesting to try and work it out 👍

It's fag packet maths I've used, I'll admit to that 😂

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

It's definitely helped but initially I took it for granted I'd cope ok. It's got worse as it's went on. So far nothing major just like a cold and aching all over. But hoping I avoid the worse symptoms. Mrs has basically slept for 3 days solid.

Absolutely brutal timing, that. Another week or so and you would have had much better protection as the vaccine takes a few weeks to build up resistance. Hopefully it still helps enough to prevent serious illness - hope you get well soon.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

And don’t forget cutbacks in England meant 10000 less beds in hospitals too in 2020 

26 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

And don’t forget cutbacks in England meant 10000 less beds in hospitals too in 2020 

Good point too.

Just for clarity, I only chose England as it's the data I came across first, and I was just using it to illustrate my point.

If one dose of either vaccine really will reduce hospitalisations from Covid by 80% vs unvaccinated levels then I think the argument for keeping restrictions beyond one dose offered to all adults is extremely weak imo.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Stay safe folks

Get well soon 

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Good point too.

Just for clarity, I only chose England as it's the data I came across first, and I was just using it to illustrate my point.

If one dose of either vaccine really will reduce hospitalisations from Covid by 80% vs unvaccinated levels then I think the argument for keeping restrictions beyond one dose offered to all adults is extremely weak imo.

Yes you would think so . The main aim last year apart from preventing deaths was not to “ overwhelm “ the NHS . So this shouldn’t be an issue in the next month or so I would think 

2 hours ago, Alan_R said:

What symptoms did you have that made you go and get a test or where you informed you'd been in contact with someone positive?

Hope you're back at 100% soon and out pounding the pavements 🤞🤞

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No, it was Covid that caused hospitals to get to 'breaking point' (the same breaking point the headlines bark at us every winter, anyway), not cutbacks. Get on message, James. 

Sorry my mistake 😂

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Stay safe folks

Hopefully shouldn't be too bad. My pal is 36 and had it a fortnight ago. He was paggered for three days but is fine now. Take it easy. 👍

Fxxx the SPFL

only 2.6% tested positive yesterday good news, hospital admissions down and also ICU down

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

only 2.6% tested positive yesterday good news, hospital admissions down and also ICU down

Found another 172 deaths to add to the daily total though. I don't know what period they covered, but it was apparently due to a mismatch of information between NRS and PHS.

17 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Wearing a mask exercising is horrific. It’s not practical for a number of reasons. 

I'm certainly not someone that goes jogging, but even going for a decent walk it is simply not comfortable because your lungs need to take in more oxygen, and doing that through a mask is hell.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

What symptoms did you have that made you go and get a test or where you informed you'd been in contact with someone positive?

Hope you're back at 100% soon and out pounding the pavements 🤞🤞

Mrs done a routine flow test for work. Was subsequently confirmed positive, as was my confirmatory test. We didn't develop symptoms til after.

Everyone I know who's had it describes it more as cold like, aching body, stuffy nose, headache. I can imagine how it could effect your breathing though. Feel blocked up at times. Interestingly none of the cough/fever so called common indicators.

P.s Thank you for the well wishes everyone!

14 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Mrs done a routine flow test for work. Was subsequently confirmed positive, as was my confirmatory test. We didn't develop symptoms til after.

Everyone I know who's had it describes it more as cold like, aching body, stuffy nose, headache. I can imagine how it could effect your breathing though. Feel blocked up at times. Interestingly none of the cough/fever so called common indicators.

Cheers for that, interesting around not having the common indicators. I wonder if a lot of people who wouldn't be tested routinely have picked it up and got symptoms but not the symptoms they associate with it and as such never got tested. Guess we'll never know.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Cheers for that, interesting around not having the common indicators. I wonder if a lot of people who wouldn't be tested routinely have picked it up and got symptoms but not the symptoms they associate with it and as such never got tested. Guess we'll never know.

Antibody testing after the fact might give us an idea as to how many positives have been missed.

Just now, jonesy said:

Would it do the same for false positives?

I would have thought so, yes. I imagine that there will be a number of research studies carried out into the subject of how many actual positives there were in circulation, or at least the scale, and the participants involved will be routinely asked for details of any positive or negative tests they had. That should flag up the sort of information you're looking for.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Antibody testing after the fact might give us an idea as to how many positives have been missed.

Would those be discernable from vaccine created anti-bodies?

Scottish numbers: 3 March 2021

Summary

• 543 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+1] [down from 798 a week ago]
  • 24,377 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.6% of these were positive [+9,840; -1.8%]
  • 35 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+2]
  • 69 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-2]
  • 750 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-34]
  • 1,661,879 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 92,550 have received their second dose [+27,518; +8,105]

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Would those be discernable from vaccine created anti-bodies?

Now that is a bloody excellent question. :) I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Summary

• 24,377 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.6% of these were positive [+9,840; -1.8%]
  • 69 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-2]
  • 1,661,879 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 92,550 have received their second dose [+27,518; +8,105]

I thought the death rate would be better by now. I thought we had better treatments against this evil thing. 

Anyway, here's hoping this will end very soon. 

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Now that is a bloody excellent question. :) I have no idea.

Yeh me neither; other than being interesting I guess we don't really need to know how many people had it but didn't know because they had different symptoms.

I just found it interesting as I've had similar symptoms (aching and cold symptoms (also a quick onset headache and pressure sensation in my ears)) to those that Alan R has but no cough or fever and never even considered going for a test. Probably wasn't Covid but I'll never know.

Edited by Taffin

scott herbertson
Just now, ri Alban said:

I thought the death rate would be better by now. I thought we had better treatments against this evil thing. 

There's always a lag - would expect the death rates to be falling steadily (averaged out) for the next two weeks

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

According to the NRS weekly figures published today, the most recent week's Covid deaths (to 28 Feb) was 227, down from 291 the previous week (a 22% fall)

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh me neither; other than being interesting I guess we don't really need to know how many people had it but didn't know because they had different symptoms.

I reckon it might be useful to know in case of future outbreaks of this or other similar viruses. The more information we have, the better picture we can build of what is actually happening.

The latest 7-day stats:

Pre- 7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     1 Mar 28 Feb 27 Feb 26 Feb 25 Feb ... 20 Dec
Scotland     71 76 -5   78 84 89 94 100 ... 98
Clackmannanshire 4 3 151 144 +7   126 138 130 147 151 ... 148
Falkirk 4 2 146 158 -12   162 172 178 191 196 ... 60
Stirling 4 3 140 155 -15   155 154 148 148 141 ... 70
West Lothian 4 3 120 126 -6   128 130 139 151 166 ... 83
North Lanarkshire 4 3 112 115 -3   122 131 144 153 167 ... 119
Renfrewshire 4 3 110 117 -7   121 132 130 135 138 ... 116
Glasgow City 4 3 105 110 -5   113 123 128 132 143 ... 129
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 100 118 -18   128 142 154 162 178 ... 120
Midlothian 4 3 94 105 -11   106 112 128 135 147 ... 136
South Lanarkshire 4 3 93 95 -2   96 102 110 116 123 ... 120
East Lothian 4 3 91 100 -9   95 115 124 119 118 ... 148
East Renfrewshire 4 3 84 83 +1   75 92 85 94 117 ... 101
East Ayrshire 4 3 80 81 -1   88 98 114 124 146 ... 153
North Ayrshire 4 3 76 72 +4   74 79 94 109 116 ... 175
Dundee City 4 3 65 74 -9   70 68 64 56 56 ... 113
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 60 69 -9   77 88 88 96 99 ... 70
Home of the Famous 4 3 59 63 -4   67 74 79 87 91 ... 109
Perth & Kinross 4 3 55 58 -3   60 58 61 63 61 ... 126
Fife 4 3 51 56 -5   58 61 62 69 65 ... 97
Inverclyde 4 2 50 51 -1   55 55 57 51 46 ... 59
Angus 4 2 43 44 -1   46 50 53 40 46 ... 37
South Ayrshire 4 3 43 45 -2   49 56 60 65 72 ... 98
Moray 4 1 38 40 -2   38 45 56 56 53 ... 13
Aberdeen City 4 3 26 29 -3   29 28 25 25 25 ... 163
Highland 4/3 1 26 32 -6   30 33 39 45 49 ... 17
Argyll & Bute 4/3 2 22 17 +5   17 14 15 12 14 ... 29
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 19 26 -7   32 34 34 43 50 ... 32
Scottish Borders 4 1 17 16 +1   15 17 21 30 35 ... 85
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4 1 15 22 -7   34 30 34 30 37 ... 22
Aberdeenshire 4 3 14 17 -3   18 25 28 30 35 ... 88
Orkney Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 0 ... 0
Shetland Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 0 ... 0

7-day averages                          
Tests     18739 18616 +123   18830 19169 19211 19249 19652 ... 16839
Positivity rate %     3.5 3.7 -0.2   3.8 4.0 4.2 4.4 4.6 ... 5.2
Hospital (non-ICU)     779 814 -35   852 894 933 965 1005 ... 975
ICU     76 79 -3   83 87 90 94 96 ... 50
Deaths     21 23 -2   26 26 26 28 28 ... 25
All Vaccinations     30890 30052 +838   29659 28970 28030 27586 27644    
1st Dose     24829 24160 +669   23727 23108 22501 22397 23002    
2nd Dose     6061 5892 +169   5932 5862 5529 5189 4642    

Byyy The Light
51 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Interesting you say that. My mate and his wife in London had similar symptoms to you, went on NHS website to book a test and couldn't get one as they didn't have the symptoms.  He had to lie and say he had a cough. Both confirmed positive.  They'd only got the test as they didn't feel 100% and were due to send their daughter in to nursery so took the test as a precaution.

Took them a couple of weeks to shake the fatigue but both fine now.  Hopefully you feel better soon.

Byyy The Light
11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day stats:

Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     1 Mar 28 Feb 27 Feb 26 Feb 25 Feb ... 20 Dec

7-day averages                          

Took me a while but found it eventually! 😄

1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Took me a while but found it eventually! 😄

:D Just keeping you on your toes.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day stats:

7-day averages                          

Edinburgh keeps going like that and we will come out in level 2 😊

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day stats:

7-day averages                          

Home of the famous now starting to look good for level 2  :pleasing: 

1 minute ago, steve123 said:

If it keeps going like that, it will end up negative! ;)

Toxteth O'Grady
16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day stats:

7-day averages                          

Providing the schools don’t send things the wrong way again most of Scotland should be under the new level 2 limits by the end of April. 

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

ha ha not if a certain person gets their way. On another note the Mrs got her vaccination today after a feck up she is frontline care worker daily contact with vulnerable elderly should have got in January

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Found another 172 deaths to add to the daily total though. I don't know what period they covered, but it was apparently due to a mismatch of information between NRS and PHS.

Eh ? In England ? 

12 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

In 8 weeks time we will all be looking at level 1!!

I’d prefer zero level . No restrictions . Like normality 

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

In 8 weeks time we will all be looking at level 1!!

Hopefully in 8 weeks time, she'll bin the stupid idea of going back into tiers 

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day stats:

7-day averages                          

👍

Home of the famous.

:pleasing:

11 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Providing the schools don’t send things the wrong way again most of Scotland should be under the new level 2 limits by the end of April. 

Looks better but I'd urge caution.

Level 2 is 20 - 50 if we look at purely one data set.

So as not risk being in one tier, only to jump up a tier the following week mid range target to go safely into 2 would be 35ish.

Hugh Phamism

Again, no red or pink areas on the map. However, the new levels after lockdown have been revised and Falkirk, West Lothian, Clacks, Renfrew, etc are still over the 150/100000 threshold for Level 3 on exit.

image.png.9fce75f46e2e3da90396ad089e6ef53a.png

image.thumb.png.11af72b560b8c9cfaa2dcedd419324bb.png

Footballfirst
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Eh ? In England ? 

No - In Scotland. The deaths had been recorded by National Records Scotland, but because of the absence of identifying information about NHS ids, they had been omitted from the Public Health Scotland daily updates on deaths as reported at the briefings.  That went up to 7.371 today (7,144 yesterday, +35 daily deaths + 172 historical deaths). 

willie wallace
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Summary

I see the vaccination figures are still well down on the numbers from 2/3 weeks back.

Is this still due to the shortage or is this is maybe the new normal?

I nearly posted to ask what happened to Edinburgh today.

Like the new name though😃

brunstanejambo

Not sure if this has been discussed on the thread, but how bad is the track and trace system if they still have not been able to trace 1/3rd of the people on the London-Aberdeen flight that is suspected of bringing the Brazlian strain of the virus into Scotland?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-56268489

I travel quite a lot within the UK & Europe for work (well, did until this time last year that is) and know from expereince that airlines have ways of getting in touch with people through the bookings that are made.

Reading between the lines of the above report it sounds like contact tracers must be relying on contact data that is being provided in person as people board flights rather than data linked to their bookings. I understand that there are data protection issues related to airlines passing on passemger data, but surely for something like track and trace of coronavirus accurate details could be provided??

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic