Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I can see a large spike in case numbers by mid April, following the schools going back en-masse down south, as a result of mass testing, the Easter holidays and teenagers doing what teenagers do.

The hope will be that deaths and hopitalisations will be a lot lower and any case number spikes can be deemed acceptable.  However as each part of society is opened up while large numbers of people remain unvaccinated, I fear that many more in the 40-60 age group will end up in hospital.

You're absolutely right.  That will be the critical age group and there probably will be a big rise in hospitalisations.  Crucially it's finite though.  Most of those people will be vaccinated between April and July.  It will be an area of concern but of limited duration.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Johnson mentioned a trade off.  That's the trade off.  A section of the population is being asked to face a few months of heightened risk for the unlock happening reasonably quickly and over a reasonably short timetable.   It's actually the 30 somethings through to 49.  The over 50s will be jabbed up before the big ticket items are unlocked.

24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I can see a large spike in case numbers by mid April, following the schools going back en-masse down south, as a result of mass testing, the Easter holidays and teenagers doing what teenagers do.

The hope will be that deaths and hopitalisations will be a lot lower and any case number spikes can be deemed acceptable.  However as each part of society is opened up while large numbers of people remain unvaccinated, I fear that many more in the 40-60 age group will end up in hospital.

Yup, my thinking as well.

Another potential impact there is a further mutation but hopefully that is a much smaller risk.

Struggled to find up to clear up to date stats about the number of cases per 100k

But I think I managed to sus that Edinburgh are at 70 and Glasgow are at 149 for comparison. For obvious political reasons Edinburgh were ridiculously kept at the same level as Glasgow for many months last year, but since we are re-introducing the tier system then surely we have to be in a tier lower than them. Unless it’s just everyone at the same tier again, which is a load of nonsense. 

33 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, everyone has different interpretations of it. I do disagree about "spikes", it was acknowledged by both the PM and Chris Whitty that cases will go up, hospitalisations will increase and deaths will occur. That doesn't mean restriction as it did pre-Covid as, for the first time, Whitty basically told the public that there are deaths each year, regardless of vaccines, from flu and other respiratory illnesses. Covid would simply join that list and we, the public, accept that. It was an important message,  after a year of daily stats and death tolls, that , pre-pandemic, deaths occurred daily from similar viruses.

I didn't think you were a fan of Whitty?

It's all very well saying we will accept some covid hospitalization and death but we've already seen before that easing restrictions too soon filled up hospitals which naturally impacts treatments of other illnesses.

Covid is much more of a risk to people than flu and it's not a helpful comparison.

As I say, the last thing we want is for the R number to go above 1 and we then run into more problems. We all want the same thing, which is this being the last lockdown so hopefully the government follows the transmissions and not dates set in stone.

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

They are posted on here every day at the same time in big bright ****ing colours for you!!  Even if it is tiers it is many weeks away before anything opens up meaningful in a tier system, you can stand down for now. 

Mate, I hardly look at this thread. What are the numbers please big man? 

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Edinburgh 90

Glasgow 135

Edinburgh will probably go up a little more for a couple of days before it tops out.

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

They would both have been tier three in previous version. 

Christ. Was strange when Edinburgh were stuck at 70 odd and Glasgow were over double and we were both still in the same tier. 

14 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Struggled to find up to clear up to date stats about the number of cases per 100k

But I think I managed to sus that Edinburgh are at 70 and Glasgow are at 149 for comparison. For obvious political reasons Edinburgh were ridiculously kept at the same level as Glasgow for many months last year, but since we are re-introducing the tier system then surely we have to be in a tier lower than them. Unless it’s just everyone at the same tier again, which is a load of nonsense. 

The weege is lower than a snakes belly for once might work in their favour 🙃

8 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Thank you. Finally Edinburgh will be in a lower tier than Glasgow. 

That's simply not true.

Why do folk believe this rubbish. 

Apols if you were being ironic.

Edited by DETTY29

11 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Thank you. Finally Edinburgh will be in a lower tier than Glasgow. 

Edinburgh was in a lower tier than Glasgow in late November to mid December.

Edited by Ray Gin

20 minutes ago, Costanza said:

It's all very well saying we will accept some covid hospitalization and death but we've already seen before that easing restrictions too soon filled up hospitals which naturally impacts treatments of other illnesses.

Covid is much more of a risk to people than flu and it's not a helpful comparison.

As I say, the last thing we want is for the R number to go above 1 and we then run into more problems. We all want the same thing, which is this being the last lockdown so hopefully the government follows the transmissions and not dates set in stone.

There is a world of difference between last time and this time. 99% of the deaths and 80% of the hospitalisations were in the 9 priority groups.  The vast majority of those will be vaccinated.  The virus targetted the most susceptible,  who should now be protected.  Transmission levels will not form a part of the process, it's hospitalisations, deaths and vaccines. Regardless of vaccines,  there will also be those who die from respiratory viruses, that was the point Whitty was making. 

I have thought he was too negative before but he played a blinder tonight, as did Johnson. Children's lives and futures,  the economy and society, they all need prioritised going forward.

13 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There is a world of difference between last time and this time. 99% of the deaths and 80% of the hospitalisations were in the 9 priority groups.  The vast majority of those will be vaccinated.  The virus targetted the most susceptible,  who should now be protected.  Transmission levels will not form a part of the process, it's hospitalisations, deaths and vaccines. Regardless of vaccines,  there will also be those who die from respiratory viruses, that was the point Whitty was making. 

I have thought he was too negative before but he played a blinder tonight, as did Johnson. Children's lives and futures,  the economy and society, they all need prioritised going forward.

Great post ! Sine people just don’t seem to be understanding how the vaccine is impacting on hospital admissions and deaths ! It’s fairly obvious 

Francis Albert

BBC News brings us news from the four UK nations capitals. London of course. Senned the Welsh parliament building in Cardiff. Stormont the NI assembly building in Belfast. And of course the wee bridge outside the  BBC Scotland building in Glasgow.

Edited by Francis Albert

Fxxx the SPFL

she can feck off going back to tiers and keeping us in lockdown longer than necessary as BJ has stated we have to live with this the same as flu there will be more deaths, hospitalisations etc from Covid get out of lockdown and no going back. 

26 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Great post ! Sine people just don’t seem to be understanding how the vaccine is impacting on hospital admissions and deaths ! It’s fairly obvious 

Well obviously. The issue is restrictions easing and the virus spreading amongst the unvaccinated. That is what will drive hospitalisations.

Personally I think this UK Government will ease restrictions too soon and create another surge. By then, we'll be all expectant of a return to some kind of normality and they'll have a real fight to reintroduce any restrictions.

Anyway,  if I'm wrong and the Government plays a blinder with this (as they have with the vaccines) then you can quote me and slag me off. I'll be happy to be wrong!

Edited by Costanza

4 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Well obviously. The issue is restrictions easing and the virus spreading amongst the unvaccinated. That is what will drive hospitalisations.

Personally I think this UK Government will ease restrictions too soon and create another surge. By then, we'll be all expectant of a return to some kind of normality and they'll have a real fight to reintroduce any restrictions.

Anyway,  if I'm wrong and the Government plays a blinder with this (as they have with the vaccines) then you can quote me and slag me off. I'll be happy to be wrong!

The most vulnerable are on their way to being fully vaccinate so the less vulnerable if they caught the virus are less likely to be ill !! I think you may have a touch of the “ cautious “ syndrome ! 

Today was good news. An end in sight, controlled, cautious opening up with the statement not to reverse them once their lifted. Whitty seemingly in support of them and also now seemingly more accepting of the level of hospitalisation and death being acceptable thanks to the vaccination rollout.

There's 101 what if this happens though, what if that happens though. We can't live life on what ifs. What if the what ifs never happened and we sat indoors forever. That would be a real shame.

Have I been too gung go on my thoughts about this? Maybe, for some definitely, in hindsight the first lockdown was the right thing to do, I've held my hands up to that but we now must get back to living. We've been given a pathway out and the vaccinations to enable it, let's it grab and be happy that in a few months we'll have our lives back, be seeing our friends and family. "If you don't like it, stay indoors, nobody is forcing you outside" has rightfully been thrown back throughout this but after a year, and more by June 21st, I'm afraid at that point, that really has to be the answer (barring a new strain or the like which again overwhelms the NHS). 

Edited by Taffin

Shanks said no

Israel started coming out of lockdown yesterday at 50% vaccinated. We (as in UK, maybe Scotland) will start lifting to a similar level on 12th April, in 7 weeks time. Unless there is a problem with supply I would have thought we would have 50%+ vaccinated by then.

We will also have the advantage of seeing what happens in Israel in the next few weeks.

Personally think Boris has called it reasonably well.

Over to you Nicola, but please no more tiers.

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

she can feck off going back to tiers and keeping us in lockdown longer than necessary as BJ has stated we have to live with this the same as flu there will be more deaths, hospitalisations etc from Covid get out of lockdown and no going back. 

BJ hasn’t exactly been a shining light on how to deal with this pandemic.  Over 120,000 deaths in the UK (pro rata, a worse death rate than even the USA which had a president that didn’t even take Covid seriously) compared to 900 in another large island, Australia.  Probably best to listen to what BJ is going to do then do the opposite on previous performance.  His head needs to roll once this is all done and dusted.  

We do have to come out of lockdown at some point though - let’s just hope we don’t make a complete arse of it yet again and end up in a 4th lockdown. 

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Today was good news. An end in sight, controlled, cautious opening up with the statement not to reverse them once their lifted. Whitty seemingly in support of them and also now seemingly more accepting of the level of hospitalisation and death being acceptable thanks to the vaccination rollout.

There's 101 what if this happens though, what if that happens though. We can't live life on what ifs. What if the what ifs never happened and we sat indoors forever. That would be a real shame.

Have I been too gung go on my thoughts about this? Maybe, for some definitely, in hindsight the first lockdown was the right thing to do, I've held my hands up to that but we now must get back to living. We've been given a pathway out and the vaccinations to enable it, let's it grab and be happy that in a few months we'll have our lives back, be seeing our friends and family. "If you don't like it, stay indoors, nobody is forcing you outside" has rightfully been thrown back throughout this but after a year, and more by June 21st, I'm afraid at that point, that really has to be the answer (barring a new strain or the like which again overwhelms the NHS). 

Can I have an amen to that ! 

13 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Israel started coming out of lockdown yesterday at 50% vaccinated. We (as in UK, maybe Scotland) will start lifting to a similar level on 12th April, in 7 weeks time. Unless there is a problem with supply I would have thought we would have 50%+ vaccinated by then.

We will also have the advantage of seeing what happens in Israel in the next few weeks.

Enough is enough

Edited by JamesM48

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Enough is enough

There's nothing left for us here
And we won't waste another tear (TIER)

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

We’re doomed.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I don't know how Scotland differs from England in getting its vaccine supplies but there is a shortage of vaccines in England now - and it was apparently known in January that the vaccination rates would stall accordingly. I read a report last night that in NW England (from Carlisle to Liverpool) vaccination numbers are down considerably and will likely be around 30% lower  - I'm not sure for how long this will persist. In my locality , there's a newly opened , purpose built facility with a capability to deliver  around 1700 per day - but currently only doing around 200 per day.  

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

Big difference between easing restrictions with and without the most vulnerable groups vaccinated. To compare this easing to last time isn’t the same at all. This will certainly spread among younger people as before but it has shown to have no virtually impact on their lives. Yes there will still be people who will die but there will be need to further restrictions. The vaccine by all early accounts is working amazingly well. 

manaliveits105
9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

BBC News brings us news from the four UK nations capitals. London of course. Senned the Welsh parliament building in Cardiff. Stormont the NI assembly building in Belfast. And of course the wee bridge outside the  BBC Scotland building in Glasgow.

Well it is the murder and drugs capital of Europe 

So everyone's booking up holidays abroad again according to the media, forgetting that we're well ahead of the most other countries vaccination-wise and so it may be a fair while before it's safe to travel without bringing back the virus or a modified form of it. We're going to feck this up again if we start allowing international travel too early, at least before both a good majority of folk here and in our allowed destinations have had both jabs. What is wrong with us?

7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I don't know how Scotland differs from England in getting its vaccine supplies but there is a shortage of vaccines in England now - and it was apparently known in January that the vaccination rates would stall accordingly. I read a report last night that in NW England (from Carlisle to Liverpool) vaccination numbers are down considerably and will likely be around 30% lower  - I'm not sure for how long this will persist. In my locality , there's a newly opened , purpose built facility with a capability to deliver  around 1700 per day - but currently only doing around 200 per day.  

Scotland doesn't differ from England. Supply is agreed on a UK basis and the four nations get an split based on population/ demography 

Yes supply has slowed for a few weeks but will pick up again start of March. Was known ahead of time and no drama

Horatio Caine
26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

So everyone's booking up holidays abroad again according to the media, forgetting that we're well ahead of the most other countries vaccination-wise and so it may be a fair while before it's safe to travel without bringing back the virus or a modified form of it. We're going to feck this up again if we start allowing international travel too early, at least before both a good majority of folk here and in our allowed destinations have had both jabs. What is wrong with us?

Press also compounding the potential to **** up.  Boris said `data, not dates`.  So he gives us a series of dates which the press have now pounced on.  "We can get our hair cut from April 12th..." etc etc.  What if we can't?  There's so much uncertainty about an unpredictable virus that we surely shouldn't have actual dates.  Boris is risking another cock up imo. 

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Most holiday firms are giving a money back guarantee. I've had 2 cancelled this year for travel in February and Easter and had my money back in my bank a couple of days after cancelation.

People need something to look forward to and have nothing to lose by booking.

If things are good by the time your holiday comes along then brilliant, if not then your money is back in the bank.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Most holiday firms are giving a money back guarantee. I've had 2 cancelled this year for travel in February and Easter and had my money back in my bank a couple of days after cancelation.

If things are good by the time your holiday comes along then brilliant, if not then your money is back in the bank.

Ok, good to hear, Nucky. I'm just of the mind that we ought to clean up our own shop first, which we will do, and only at that point consider opening ourselves up, and only then to countries that have achieved the same position or better than ourselves. I don't want to see a repeat of past mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Press also compounding the potential to **** up.  Boris said `data, not dates`.  So he gives us a series of dates which the press have now pounced on.  "We can get our hair cut from April 12th..." etc etc.  What if we can't?  There's so much uncertainty about an unpredictable virus that we surely shouldn't have actual dates.  Boris is risking another cock up imo. 

Yup, another current bugbear of mine, Horatio. :) We shouldn't be promising on dates at all, imo, and if mentioning them should only be doing so in vague generalities ("spring", "late summer" etc.). As Nucky said, we need to give folk something to look forward to, which is probably why Boris announced dates, but we can't be promising something that specific which we may not be able to deliver.

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Can't wait. I'd actually been a few years without a proper holiday and didn't realise how much I missed it until an absolutely cracking week away last September. Even a long weekend somewhere will be such a lift!

Johnson almost certainly modified his address to appease his own backbench activists.  I think these dates were supposed to be a guide but the tone now places a bit more certainty on them.  

If,  god help us,  it does go badly,  I wonder who's going to own the blame.  Johnson?  The advisors?  The backbench agitators?  Industry?

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Johnson almost certainly modified his address to appease his own backbench activists.  I think these dates were supposed to be a guide but the tone now places a bit more certainty on them.  

If,  god help us,  it does go badly,  I wonder who's going to own the blame.  Johnson?  The advisors?  The backbench agitators?  Industry?

None of them sadly, but it should be Johnson. If he isn't willing to, then he shouldn't have stood up and said what he did. We both know that won't have been the case though and he'll have said it to be liked and he'll bluster his way through taking any ownership. That said, I think they now genuinely believe there's reason to be optimistic and barring some new strain that's worse/more resistant to the vaccine, I think it'll go okay 👍

Edited by Taffin

9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

If you’ve had enough of his stuff tell him to just get out !!!’  And on and on 😂😂😂 btw today it’s raining it’s pouring 

Edited by JamesM48

37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yup, another current bugbear of mine, Horatio. :) We shouldn't be promising on dates at all, imo, and if mentioning them should only be doing so in vague generalities ("spring", "late summer" etc.). As Nucky said, we need to give folk something to look forward to, which is probably why Boris announced dates, but we can't be promising something that specific which we may not be able to deliver.

He didn’t promise any dates though so people shouldn’t be thinking like that. All the talk clearly said those dates were the earliest as long as conditions were met. It shouldn’t be spun any other way just to have a pop at him. 

36 minutes ago, Victorian said:

"Driven by data, not dates." Proceeds to give a load of dates. People already ignoring the multiple caveats and acting like said dates are set in stone.

Lots of dummies will be thrown out the pram if those dates aren't met now.

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

He didn’t promise any dates though so people shouldn’t be thinking like that. All the talk clearly said those dates were the earliest as long as conditions were met. It shouldn’t be spun any other way just to have a pop at him. 

That's not how they will be perceived though, especially by the media, and he should have known that.

"Just to have a pop at him". No. I don't care about the guy himself, but if he, like anyone else, does something I disagree with then I won't hesitate to mention it. Not everything needs to be viewed as political.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Actually agree with you but ca. Understand people having something to look forward .? Friends dads 70th in September . He lives in a town near Benidorm so we are hoping to go over for it but will not book until last minute as you rightly note other countries may not be as far along with the vaccine as we have . Anyway I fancy a wee highland break in the summer . Loved Aviemore last November 

37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

None of them sadly, but it should be Johnson. If he isn't willing to, then he shouldn't have stood up and said what he did. We both know that won't have been the case though and he'll have said it to be liked and he'll bluster his way through taking any ownership. That said, I think they now genuinely believe there's reason to be optimistic and barring some new strain that's worse/more resistant to the vaccine, I think it'll go okay 👍

I have really strong positive feeling that this will work out ok due to the vaccinations . Here’s hoping 👍

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

"Driven by data, not dates." Proceeds to give a load of dates. People already ignoring the multiple caveats and acting like said dates are set in stone.

Lots of dummies will be thrown out the pram if those dates aren't met now.

"Driven by data, not dates" doesn't mean the exclusion of dates though. They'll have used the data to arrive at dates they think are achievable. People may well find themselves disappointed but unless he goes against anything he said, then it's not his fault. If it goes chest up and the reverse any of these 'irreversible' measures then all hell will break lose though.

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I agree with this, it is not Boris's fault if people don't understand what he clearly said, there wasn't his usual waffle or making it up on the spot it was clear these are the target dates and it will not happen any earlier than these dates.

Yes, but why give specific dates at all? The virus doesn't work with a calendar in its pocket. You just risk giving folk false hope, with the problems that arise if those hopes are dashed, as well as potentially putting unnecessary added pressure on the Government to make decisions to meet those hopes rather than based on the data and situation at the time.

11 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Hopefully Sunak tells her that her furlough is ending and takes that option away from her.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Hopefully Sunak tells her that her furlough is ending and takes that option away from her.

Yeah fingers crossed lots of people lose their jobs completely. 

Unreal comment.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yes, but why give specific dates at all? The virus doesn't work with a calendar in its pocket. You just risk giving folk false hope, with the problems that arise if those hopes are dashed, as well as potentially putting unnecessary added pressure on the Government to make decisions to meet those hopes rather than based on the data and situation at the time.

Because people need something to work towards, hope and belief that the end is in sight and the government want there to be an end in sight.

People spirits are raised down where I am today as they have something to hope for. The idea of June 21st seeing us return to near normal makes sticking with it until then bearable and worth the pain for the reward.

If he'd said we might, maybe at some point in Summer, or Autumn, look like a society back to near normal people's spirits would be crushed and a lot would say forget it. I know people who've been sticklers for the rules up to now but started to break them as there was no end date to hold onto. It's better to tell someone to run 10k and when they get there tell them they've got another 5 to go than say 15km off the bat and risk them saying I can't/won't do that. I'm also very positive that the dates they're aiming for can be achieved.

Edited by Taffin

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic