Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

I agree, in the current funding model for the UK and devolved nations what you say is true. If they devolved nations can't borrow to fund it then it would need to stop. My only real issue its that I suspect the UK Gov will be keen to stop it too soon is more likely than any devolved nation will be months behind on lifting restrictions.

If things are going to plan I suspect the UK will open up almost in step.

Possibly, however that's their prerogative I guess and in their view they'll believe they're stopping it at the right time in line with the data and the advice of their scientific advisers.

I do agree though and think broadly speaking the UK will open up in near alignment. The logistics alone of it not would make it hard not to.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weakened Offender
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

The seethe will start.

:pleasing:

A positive pathway which signposts clear easing of the restrictions and gives us the hope of starting to live and love our lives again or an uber-cautious 'nothing much to see here' statement that will bring about 6 or 7 nervous breakdowns on this thread??

It's a toughie. 😁

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

A positive pathway which signposts clear easing of the restrictions and gives us the hope of starting to live and love our lives again or an uber-cautious 'nothing much to see here' statement that will bring about 6 or 7 nervous breakdowns on this thread??

It's a toughie. 😁

Cannae wait.

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I know nothing about you other than your username, you location is Edinburgh and you are probably a Hearts fan, not sure what underlying prejudice that would make me have about you?

Yeah James, what's going on here. I wonder where you're taking this now. 

14 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

It's a toughie. 😁

If she just copies Boris as usual but a few weeks behind then you'll have the first one with a July reopening 😉

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If she just copies Boris as usual but a few weeks behind then you'll have the first one with a July reopening 😉

Here's one right now. 

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Shes got an election to win so I think she’ll try to open up quicker. Isn’t there already indicators she’ll review every 3 weeks rather than 5 ? Of course means nowt without knowing the stages in which things will open up. 

Just now, Dazo said:

Shes got an election to win so I think she’ll try to open up quicker. Isn’t there already indicators she’ll review every 3 weeks rather than 5 ? Of course means nowt without knowing the stages in which things will open up. 

She might well. My post, hence the smiley, was just in jest. 👍

Just now, Taffin said:

She might well. My post, hence the smiley, was just in jest. 👍

I know, that one hasn’t got time to jest though too many people to insult. 👍

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I know, that one hasn’t got time to jest though too many people to insult. 👍

That's a bit insulting. 

Malinga the Swinga

No seethe from me, regardless of what is said. Spring has arrived, what's in the past has gone and can't be changed. Looking forward is the best way to prosper through remaining months of pandemic restrictions. 

2021 will be better than 2020.

57 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It's not. 

Furlough needs to be there to help get the economy going as well as looking after individuals welfare.  It really does show the position some posters are coming from when they are talking about improving peoples mental health by removing a crucial financial safety net for them.

There are two sides to this and a balance that needs to be struck.

Businesses are on their knees paying bills for overheads while they are not allowed to trade.  Many will simply not reopen, and furlough is perhaps simply delaying the inevitable, with the companies choosing to let the government pay their wages until furlough ends.

We need to get people back into work in safe conditions for retail, leisure, and hospitality.  Once the vaccination programme is more or less complete I'd say furlough ought to end if we have the virus under control.

I think it will be a reprehensible combination of copying Boris and being different.  The copied bits should have been different and the different bits should have been the same as what Boris did.  Whatever they are,  or aren't.  Being a woman is different to Boris for a start.

53 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

No reason to dislike someone imo.

Priti Patel Is Hot (@HotPriti) | Twitter

:wub:

😍😈

Those eyes are im going to eat you alive 😬

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The seethe will start.

:pleasing:

I'll cut her some slack today seeing as my blue envelope popped through the letterbox this morning :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think it will be a reprehensible combination of copying Boris and being different.  The copied bits should have been different and the different bits should have been the same as what Boris did.  Whatever they are,  or aren't.  Being a woman is different to Boris for a start.

Also she'd better not use the word "caution". It's fine when BJ uses it multiple times but if wee Krankie says it even once it will be an outrage and typically negative of her.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'll cut her some slack today seeing as my blue envelope popped through the letterbox this morning :thumbsup:

👍

31 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We need to get people back into work in safe conditions for retail, leisure, and hospitality.  Once the vaccination programme is more or less complete I'd say furlough ought to end if we have the virus under control.

Once the vaccination programme is a complete I'd suggest that is already a certainty. That's a bit different from hoping that furlough ends now.

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Also she'd better not use the word "caution". It's fine when BJ uses it multiple times but if wee Krankie says it even once it will be an outrage and typically negative of her.

If she acknowledges, as Boris does, that there is life beyond Covid, accepting that infections and deaths are still inevitable,  then she will show that she has learned something. If she can avoid informing us that it's a "global paaaahhhndemic" and talking about super-duper variants that are soooo transmissible while,  paradoxically,  cases are falling, then that will be a bonus👍

Are people oblivious to the fact, that if we open up without reducing infections amongst the least vulnerable. We'll pass about and allow it mutate and it  could eventually mutate to beat the virus. 

Buy naw, get it open, Now! 

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Why do think you need to list  (the three) women you respect and admire? What's going on there, I wonder? 😊

It was three who came to the top of me head ! Plenty more I admire .    Rosa Goldman , Vanessa Redgrave , list is endless .. I also admire  some men too . So what’s the point caller ?  Gender has no interest to me in how I view someone . If your a ^^^^ your a ^^^^ irrespective of gender . And if your a nice person . There is no subconscious reason I am not particularly fond of Nicola Surgeon .  To be honest the way some guys speak about women on this is frankly mysogynist  and sexist . Challenge them ? No didn’t think you would . 

Edited by JamesM48

scott herbertson
59 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No seethe from me, regardless of what is said. Spring has arrived, what's in the past has gone and can't be changed. Looking forward is the best way to prosper through remaining months of pandemic restrictions. 

2021 will be better than 2020.

I'm with you on that

I suspect we will have basically the same as England but with more options to adjust  - Boris has boxed himself in with his dates (understandably this time with the pressure he will be under internally). Sturgeon has no need to do that - she can say that it will be similar to UK Government's approach but put in some confirmation dates where the data has to be going in the right direction.

Won't please everyone but that's impossible anyway

36 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I’ll promise I will transfer £100 to you if she doesn’t use that word ‘! 😂

8 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I'm with you on that

I suspect we will have basically the same as England but with more options to adjust  - Boris has boxed himself in with his dates (understandably this time with the pressure he will be under internally). Sturgeon has no need to do that - she can say that it will be similar to UK Government's approach but put in some confirmation dates where the data has to be going in the right direction.

Won't please everyone but that's impossible anyway

4 phases of lockdown release, first review 08 March, minimum 5 weeks in each rollout phase, release the data that will be measured against, let others work out the dates they think each they want to plan round.

PS - I am far from convinced on the local tiering approach but Douglas Ross was insisting on it, no doubt being the Moray MP, fo few can argue against if it is introduced.

4 hours ago, jamboj said:

Scotland doesn't differ from England. Supply is agreed on a UK basis and the four nations get an split based on population/ demography 

Yes supply has slowed for a few weeks but will pick up again start of March. Was known ahead of time and no drama

Glad you are back n to keep us on the right track.

Brighton Jambo
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah fingers crossed lots of people lose their jobs completely. 

Unreal comment.

That’s so clearly not what he said? 

46 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Are people oblivious to the fact, that if we open up without reducing infections amongst the least vulnerable. We'll pass about and allow it mutate and it  could eventually mutate to beat the virus. 

Buy naw, get it open, Now! 

How did u get on at the hospital ? Hope it went well 👍

10 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s so clearly not what he said? 

It's so clearly the implications of what he said. No furlough scheme = mass redundancies.

55 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Once the vaccination programme is a complete I'd suggest that is already a certainty. That's a bit different from hoping that furlough ends now.

If that is how my previous post was read, it wasn't what I was intending.

I was simply trying to say that the SG can't go back to/continue a tiered system once furlough ends as they would need to fund businesses they close out of their budget.

15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'd suggest that James' transformation from fearful tin washer to critical thinker/pick 'n' mix compliance behaviour is far more representative of the general population than many other posters wish to admit.

It's great to read different viewpoints on lockdowns, vaccines, pandemic responses and all the aspects related to CV19 on this thread. Can't say there are many people in my social/family circle who are following the rules even half of the way anymore, so to see posts from those who do is useful. Likewise, for some of the more 'adherent' posters on here it is useful, albeit clearly uncomfortable, for them to read dissenting viewpoints. The standard of debate may be patchy, but the value of it is not. And for the posters (not sure if you're among them, kila) who complain that this thread goes in circles, well that's just an indication that none of the arguments are overall, that convincing.

81C54D9F-3827-4390-9162-D64157A99CB8.jpeg

Weakened Offender
38 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Cool. So now it's 'Protect the least vulnerable'. I thought it was 'Protect the NHS' or 'Dinnae kill yer granny'. 

The whole thing is hypocritical nonsense. There are an incalculable number of actions performed by each and every one of us on a daily basis that has a negative knock on effect for other people or living creatures, somewhere and sometime. Unless we go back to hunter-gatherer or subsistence farming, that's pretty much how it's going to be. So might as well get everything open and enjoy what we can, because everything else is merely rearranging those lovely deckchairs on the 'unsinkable' ship.

Bit needy. 

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

A cry for help, WO? Don't worry, we're all here for you. 

I require no assistance from anyone who sees James as a critical thinker. 😊

Fxxx the SPFL

This could well be her last briefing of any sort if Salmond has the smoking gun she'll be punted quickly. if she goes back to tiers we're all doomed like some have said Sunak may hold the key if he withdraws funding to the devolved nations. No dates to be mentioned seemingly jesus wept 

25 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Bit needy. 

Or in touch with my feelings ? And not afraid to express them ? Nothin wrong with that ! Talk about toxic masculinity ! 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

This could well be her last briefing of any sort if Salmond has the smoking gun she'll be punted quickly. if she goes back to tiers we're all doomed like some have said Sunak may hold the key if he withdraws funding to the devolved nations. No dates to be mentioned seemingly jesus wept 

:rofl:

Just now, **** the SPFL said:

Not a chance she will be punted but god help us is she was cause the people under her are totally useless 

Thank **** there's not going to be dates announced. Imagine the tears and snotters from the usual suspects if one of the proposed dates in the timeline isn't met.

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, theshed said:

Not a chance she will be punted but god help us is she was cause the people under her are totally useless 

agree with totally useless quote but if she has misled parliament then she will have no option imo

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Thank **** there's not going to be dates announced. Imagine the tears and snotters from the usual suspects if one of the proposed dates in the timeline isn't met.

Even if she doesn’t announce any dates I think we all know we can roughly go by the dates from down south give or take 48-72 hours 

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

PS - I am far from convinced on the local tiering approach but Douglas Ross was insisting on it, no doubt being the Moray MP, fo few can argue against if it is introduced.

Only works in his favour if it is on a council level again.  If it is on NHS Board they are screwed (As will be in with Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire - and rely on Aberdeen for maternity care and ICU) 

10 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

I don't get this negativity about tiers. Different parts of the country will have different Covid profiles - it makes sense that they are treated differently. It's almost guaranteed that we will move back to them in some form or another so it's as if some on this thread are just setting themselves up to be angry again. There are plenty things to get more angry about that than a focussed and compartmentalised approach to defeating Covid.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic